• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call for 3DS

Tenki

They probably will announce a western release soon - localization for such a game wont cost them much and they can release it on the eShop this time as well. This explains why they havent bothered putting the first game on the eShop.
But the inside of Theatrhythm box was amazing :(

Oh man, I'm so excited! The first game was way better than it had any right to be. I don't even care if they add new features or characters. Just give me more songs and we're good.

Somnid

See SE? Was that so hard? You make game I want and I pay you money. Also I want a damn eShop version this time.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
But the inside of Theatrhythm box was amazing :(

Well im talking about retail + eShop release. eShop only would suck for many people, but i gotta say that i wished i had the original game as an eShop title - would just have been much more convenient with my regular play sessions.

So i`ll get it digital this time.

faridmon

I just hope they include the side-franchise such as Tactics, Tactics Advance and Crystal Chronicles. Those games have arguably better soundtracks.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Hmmm I hope it's not just original game + all DLC + some new songs mostly from XIV and LR, that would be a pretty huge number right?

I think the original game+DLC had about 130 tracks. Not sure if there were additional ones for the iOS version.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Oh, I didn't recognize him since I abandoned the iOS version fairly quickly.

*looks up iOS exclusive characters*

hnnghhh

I am willing to buy this for Ace and Ramza if GILGAMESH isn't playable.

Square got lucky.

You still have to localize this you jerks.

jett

D-Member
I hope this time they made the attack sounds effects actually be part of the music instead of random CLUNK! sounds.

Midou

I think the original game+DLC had about 130 tracks. Not sure if there were additional ones for the iOS version.

Hmm true, should still have a lot of new songs. I bought like over half the DLC, but I was never expecting this sort of release. :p

I hope they do the main game differently and don't just add the new songs in a separate mode.

mclem

Cynical hat time: I assume they will make an iOS version, but feel that an iOS version at iOS prices announced at the same time as a 3DS version at 3DS prices will cannibalise sales of the latter, and they're not yet comfortable with giving up that revenue stream.

That said, with a 200-odd songlist, I'm thinking they might go heavily F2P on the iOS side if they were to do that.

Sadist

iwbKdreB12ehK.gif

Put some 70 hours in the original. Will buy! Strange announcement though, I thought the original kind of bombed? I remember Kagari in tears with the first month results in the US being like 37k.

Now where's that traditional FF game not named Bravery Default...

Aru

Judging by how good the few re-arranged tracks (in the menus, not in-game, sadly) in the original game were, it's a waste that they didn't re-arrange all the tracks.

I mean, the original tunes are great, but if we could have a soundtrack quality similar to both Dissidia games', it would have been better.

I would have bought the game for arranged tracks alone :p

Still, it's great news they are making a sequel for 3DS.

cw_sasuke

Cynical hat time: I assume they will make an iOS version, but feel that an iOS version at iOS prices announced at the same time as a 3DS version at 3DS prices will cannibalise sales of the latter, and they're not yet comfortable with giving up that revenue stream.

That said, with a 200-odd songlist, I'm thinking they might go heavily F2P on the iOS side if they were to do that.

@iOS prices ? Havent you checked the current pricing of Theatrhythm on iOS ? You end up payi way more there compared to just getting the retail 3DS game. Same will be true sequel - SE will never offer the single title for that cheap. If 1 song is a dollar and the Curtain Call comes included with lets say...150 non-dlc songs, you`ll probably end up paying more than 100 bucks on iOS for them.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
iwbKdreB12ehK.gif

Put some 70 hours in the original. Will buy! Strange announcement though, I thought the original kind of bombed? I remember Kagari in tears with the first month results in the US being like 37k.

It seems quite strange. I remember there being a shortage of stock as well. Even in my country the shops had problems securing copies for preorders. Maybe they really didn't print that many copies initially.

Anyway this is good news. Not done with the original yet. If it doesn't get localise I would get a Japanese 3DS :p

Pooya

i'm screaming ;___;

this better be coming to NA. first one was magical.

again, there is a trademark for it in US. so it's likely being announced soon everywhere, whether it will get a retail release though we'll see.

I hope the Teatrhythm sequel is structured around Chaos Mode this time. The normal game of the original is kind of blah in comparison.

Go_Ly_Dow

Have you had any new dreams lately btw? :p

Since E3 and XV its all gone blank I'm afraid.

However I can't seem to shake the feeling the unexpected will come to reality around TGS 13. Take that as you will and spread the word.

Please be excited.

mclem

@iOS prices ? Havent you checked the current pricing of Theatrhythm on iOS ? You end up payi way more there compared to just getting the retail 3DS game. Same will be true sequel - SE will never offer the single title for that cheap. If 1 song is a dollar and the Curtain Call comes included with lets say...150 non-dlc songs, you`ll probably end up paying more than 100 bucks on iOS for them.

Sure, if you go for all the content, you do. But isn't the base game F2P?

That's the thing. I think there's a perception difference between a fully-featured 3DS game for $30 and a F2P iOS title that has no financial barrier to entry but then scads of DLC that comes out to a higher sum; I think the 'free' version (which ultimately costs more) would damage the sales of the 'pricey' version (which ultimately costs far less)

Of course - and this is me being largely ignorant about Theatrhythm in general - that's for *all* the content. How much content do you actually need for a sufficiently substantive game?

More than I would have expected on 3DS. Still, I'm fairly confident that we'll never see another cinematic, console-style game from them a la KH3D/BBS/Type-0 designed for a dedicated handheld.

Kikujiro

I'm pretty sure the game sold well in Japan, and 37k first month may seem low, but I guess it's a kind of game that doesn't take much resources to make.

Jucksalbe

Banned
I hope the Teatrhythm sequel is structured around Chaos Mode this time. The normal game of the original is kind of blah in comparison.

I just hope they handle the equipment better this time. It was kinda stupid that you had to unequip everything to get full points, but on the other hand needed equipment to get the full song.

cw_sasuke

Sure, if you go for all the content, you do. But isn't the base game F2P?

That's the thing. I think there's a perception difference between a fully-featured 3DS game for $30 and a F2P iOS title that has no financial barrier to entry but then scads of DLC that comes out to a higher sum; I think the 'free' version (which ultimately costs more) would damage the sales of the 'pricey' version (which ultimately costs far less)

Of course - and this is me being largely ignorant about Theatrhythm in general - that's for *all* the content. How much content do you actually need for a sufficiently substantive game?

Lets just say that someone like would end up paying way more on IOS - its nice for casual players who wanna try some songs without having to invest much money, but if you want a substantial expierience you`ll probably pay way more.

Top Bottom