• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call for 3DS

Like this won't come to iOS.

Couldn't give a shit about Final Fantasy any more, but Theatrhythm was good shit. Will buy sequel.

This is my thoughts. Final Fantasy has been crap for years now.

But the music is still consistently great, and Theatrhythm turned out to be a fantastic love letter to the music behind the games. I will definitely be buying this as I loved the first one.

wrowa

How was the iOS version of the first one compared to 3DS?

I didn't enjoy it.

I had a some pretty bad issues with the controls, but that might be more of an individual issue than a general problem. When swiping on a screen with my finger instead of a stylus, there's just too much resistance between the screen and the finger. It's not going as smoothly as with a stylus. The only way to resolve that issue was to put a piece of cloth over my finger that reduced the fraction... but that's hardly an ideal way to play.

In general terms, I didn't enjoy the F2P nature of Theatrythm iOS. You had to buy each and every song individually (okay, I think you got 2 or 3 for free...) and they also cut the story mode. While to some it might seem like a cool thing to have the choice to only pay for the songs you actually like and want to play, choosing like this makes for a bad game to me. Just like every form of media, a game needs to have its heights and lows. I don't think it's very rewarding to play a highscore game where you only play the songs you like ... and are avoiding the songs you dislike (which are often also the ones that are more challenging for you to play). Without the ability to get a reward for good scores in the form of new tracks, I also had a general lack of motivation. It's nice if all you want is to play a few certain tracks, but such a pick-what-you-want approach makes for a bad game; it's more of an interactive music player instead. In my opinion, of course.

Wilsongt

I expect a mini version for iOS to be released soon. Only two songs and four characters available. Everything else purchased through IAP.

kswiston

This is great. As I said in the last thread, S-E didn't even bother bringing Theatrhythm to Android, so I doubt the iOS version lit up the charts. Makes more sense that it would be a 3DS title.

Anyhow, I put over 25 hours into the first game, so I will definitely buy this. I assume that most of the more popular tracks from the last game will be back in this game, but hopefully we get a good selection of music from some of the spin-off games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Crisis Core.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Not sure what you mean by this, playing on the Vita touch screen is no different than playing on an iPhone or Android device.

Hell, this game would work 100% even on the PS4 touchpad, all you need is tap, scroll and hold. Can't imagine anyone who played it thinking otherwise.
Yeah, I don't see the problem with putting this on Vita at all. There are lots of rhythm games on the platform (and on Android/iOS devices) that seem to work well with touch input (ex: DJMAX being the big one). Precision doesn't seem to be much of an issue here. And in the end, you could probably invest in a capacitive stylus to solve your precision issues. That's what I did for Cytus on my Nexus 7 in some cases, but in other cases, it's faster to just touch the screen.

I like the idea of a Theatrhythm game on a multitouch screen simply because you can quickly hit different notes played at the same time, you can probably play along with different instruments/channels in the tune thereby increasing difficulty, and probably tinker with speedier songs which require quick reflexes or something.

At least, that's what I think. It's something I'd wanted out of the original Theatrhythm.

Wow, wow wow wow!

Actual good news?

Wow!

Original was glorious, I'm over the moon happy about this! :D I'm only a little scared it wont come out here too (it should right?), so its a nicer feeling than usual.

So... FFV and VI remakes that were cockteased before the 3DS was released...

627.jpg

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Theat was probably my favorite 3DS game, so YES PLEASE. I was sad the iOS version got new stuff, but this sure makes up for it. All ya'll suggesting it might not leave japan can play in traffic.

Still want Chrono Theat though ;-;

kswiston

Unlikely to see release outside Japan I'm betting.

Why? The first game did pretty well in the west for what it was. It didn't push huge numbers, but they sold out of their first shipment quickly. The game was difficult to get for a week or two.

Also, it's not like a rhythm game is a particularly difficult localization. Especially when they are not even bothering to translate text in the FMV videos (if they even bother keeping those).

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
sweeeeeet

The original is one of my favorite 3DS games.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Why are people saying it won't be localized? It's already trademarked in America.
Because there have been cases where games' names have been trademarked in NA/EU but with no follow-up (ex: Tales of Rebirth, Fantasy Earth Zero, Sigma Harmonics, etc.).

In this case, I kinda think it'll be localized given the sales of the first game.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Eh, dat FF Type 0-2 3DS sort of rumour from 2ch starts becoming a little more realistic than before

I know it's 99% bogus, but there's always that 1% of probability, and that's enough for believing, no? XD
Wait, any link?

kierwynn

Thancred as a character and FFXIV dungeon boss music, please.

I loved the first one, so I am excited. I'm assuming the characters who are ios only are going to be in here. I'd really like to be able to use Celes and Hope this time!

Alboreo

Cool, hopefully we'll get it in NA. The first one was a lot of fun for someone like myself who isn't usually into rhythm games.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
super excellent news, first one is amazing

hopefully it will get released in the west even as a downloadable only title

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm buying this so bad.

Want to know what FF3/6 tracks are on this. Criminal how few were in the first version especially in ratio to what the other titles got.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Alright Squeenix, I did my part buying two copies of the US release on day one. Bring this over and I promise to do the same.

Wilsongt

Shining Force would be epic.

You don't want Sega to do that. They already tried. It was an epic failure and turned into Shining Hentai Waifu.

Only Camelot can do the game justice now.

Though, Shining Force Feather was good, but lol Flight Plan went out of business and Sega is so stingy about letting other companies localize their titles.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You don't want Sega to do that. They already tried. It was an epic failure and turned into Shining Hentai Waifu.

Only Camelot can do the game justice now.

Though, Shining Force Feather was good, but lol Flight Plan went out of business and Sega is so stingy about letting other companies localize their titles.

When I say Shining Force I mean the first 3. Not "The Shining" series.

Top Bottom