• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix at Gamescom '15: FFXV headlines main stage, other "reveals" teased

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fully expect them to focus a year of full marketing starting next month. So if you don't want to be spoiled... and knowing SE's stance on presenting spoilers... you might want to be cautious.

They spoiled something from the new FFXIV expansion in its launch trailer that I was kind of salty about afterward because it was a pretty big reveal following the end of the main scenario.

Yeah, I'll be careful from now on. Companies this day really lost their sense of what they should be showing or not, MGS V is a clear example of that. Sometime it feels like we already watched the whole thing from the trailers.

And I finished FF XIV main scenario yesterday so I know what you mean. The CG is amazing at least =p

fedexpeon

Banned
I really hope they show something that can restore my confidence in what they're doing. No more tech demos, no more parading on about fan feedback or "what ifs/we're still thinking about thats" - just make the game and present it without hesitation. Do what the KH3 team is doing, basically.

Me too.

If I hear anymore about changes that they made due to "fan feedbacks", I will just roll my eyes.

I want to see a 5mins trailer because the story is all over the place now.
Stella was a dream, Luna is a new character.
Okay great, can you tell me a bit more?
The consistency is that Noctis is on an adventurer with his bros to get back his kingdom.

Yes, exactly. I shook my head when they said they wanted to put the results of the demo survey on the game's official website when it relaunches - really, who does that?

Yuck. I can see the box quotes now: "79% of focus group members find the combat "serviceable" or better!!"

I get that they wanted to prove that they were no longer the insular company of the PS3 era, but they've made that point. It's not an either/or proposition anyway. You can be more open to feedback while still charting a confident course.

It's weird but I'm just not feeling the hype for this, I think it's the main characters, I find them really off-putting.
Maybe a good story trailer will get me into this.
Kinda tired of just watching these guys walk around killing wildlife.

Dark_castle

What mainly hurts my hype for XV is that Duscae was really, really dull as a game environment. It's empty, it's flat, just not very good vibes from it. Show me an interesting dungeon. Show me a nice town and things you could do outside of combat, like some fun mini-games and interesting side-quests. Also need to see further improvements to combat. I think all fights against larger-sized enemies are pretty bad currently in the demo. Camera is just all over the place. Phantom sword's control also feel flimsy in 2.0. And I don't like that the enemy count is reaching Musou level, like enemies keep coming in swarm. I would rather they keep the number down to 4-5 at max, so that we can better fight more tactically rather than button mashing, hoping for the best. And it would help to see Luna in action, hopefully something that shows that she's not a damsel in distress like we're led to think. Perhaps giving Noctis and the crew a new look in their attire? Alternative costumes purely for aesthetics? I mean surely they're well aware that more variety to the current party's appearance will go a long way if they're all a bunch of guys, which already turned off many in the internet.

Ray Down

Banned
I am quite concerned actually that Insomnia has changed from a setting in which you start out and get to explore without constraint, to basically a battle ground in which every path dictated and then you never get to return to again and explor.

Kinda like a glorified Zanarkand. The ending scene of the demo makes me strongly believe this is how its gonna be which would be a massive massive kick to the balls D:

Maybe, who knows.

My idea/hopes for Insomnia begining to end is that Insomnia is the starting place, you can explore the city, go to shops, spar with the gang, train with Core, see the other member of the retnu (Regis guards) and see the general life of the city.

We get the mission about Titan, Regis sends us off to investigate city is attack yada yada.

Through out the game we hear about the Nibelheim occupation through newspapers and such. Resistance movements, the military control of businesses and such, curfews, and possible public exequtions of resistance fighters.

Later in the game we return with two sceniroes:

A. An army at are back with allies to reclaim the city

or

B. Meet up with the resistance to take the city back from the inside.

And either way we see just how much the city has changed since nibelheim took control.

But I'm probably way off base. :p

BumRush

Personally, I want to see the city you escape from.

2787229-ffxv_accordo.jpg

And some new stuff as well.

It's one of the most beautiful areas I've ever seen in a game...ever.

Yay release date!

Sounds like a 12HD release is basically an open secret at this point. I'd love to be surprised by a new game in the Chrono series, but I think we spent all our miracle points on FF7R.

Mcdohl

The time has come again. I can't help but get excited every time!

Nothing will beat E3 2013's bombastic re-reveal though. Tears were shed on that historic day.

aerts1js

Square-Enix is only BACK if they announce some high quality non final fantasy & kingdom hearts games. Games like Vagrant Story, Chrono, Legend of Mana, etc.

TreIII

Any and all DQ-related things would make me immensely happy.

Not that I'd expect it, but seeing anything more from "Platinum Nier" would also be appreciated.

Square-Enix is only BACK if they announce some high quality non final fantasy & kingdom hearts games. Games like Vagrant Story, Chrono, Legend of Mana, etc.

Few things have more quality than a Platinum made game with Yoko Taro on the story and Keiichi Okabe on the soundtrack.

aerts1js

So games you played on your PS1?

Don't be so dense. I meant high quality games that aren't final fantasy & kingdom hearts.

Throughout the PS1 era Square didn't rely so heavily on one or two franchises and had a pretty diversified gathering of high quality games.

If I remember correctly, one summer/fall alone had Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, and Final Fantasy 9.

I like the platinum/nier game. Definitely a step in the right direction.

The trailer should be released on YouTube when Gamescom starts, they did this in TGS last year.

Yeah I remember that but since it is a live stage demo and everything I wanna see all that. I know it will probably released after the fact as well but I am looking forward to seeing it as it happens ya know?

Don't be so dense. I meant high quality games that aren't final fantasy & kingdom hearts.

Throughout the PS1 era Square didn't rely so heavily on one or two franchises and had a pretty diversified gathering of high quality games.

If I remember correctly, one summer/fall alone had Vagrant Story, Chrono Cross, and Final Fantasy 9.

I like the platinum/nier game. Definitely a step in the right direction.

I will be happy enough if they will bring DQ to the west :)

Can't wait for the reveal of Chrono Trigger 2- a new 'dream team' of Motomu Toriyama, Dennis Dyack, and music by Troy Baker purely on acoustic guitar!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Yuck. I can see the box quotes now: "79% of focus group members find the combat "serviceable" or better!!"

I get that they wanted to prove that they were no longer the insular company of the PS3 era, but they've made that point. It's not an either/or proposition anyway. You can be more open to feedback while still charting a confident course.

Right, there is such a thing as too much and I think we've reached that point. I'm glad they took a 2 month break, even if they did end with rather sour news ahead of E3 but going forward I'd like to see more confidence out of Tabata and his team.

That's actually what I like about Yoshida and Nomura I suppose, who represent two sides of the spectrum when it comes to the way they present things. You have Yoshida who is very open with his communication but he sticks to his own vision even if fans don't like what he's doing. He is hard pressed to change what he thinks is right and that's what I love about him.

On the other hand, you have Nomura - who is a very insular person and is someone whose work excites me quite a bit because he leaves much of his games to the imagination when they're being developed. He does what he wants and shows what he has when it's done - you don't see him making grand apologies or promises with games like KH3 and FF7. He's just going to make those games and put them out and if you don't like it then that's your problem.

Yeah I remember that but since it is a live stage demo and everything I wanna see all that. I know it will probably released after the fact as well but I am looking forward to seeing it as it happens ya know?

I guess they're gonna livestream their stage for this run made by a youtuber. It only makes sense IMO =p

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Right, there is such a thing as too much and I think we've reached that point. I'm glad they took a 2 month break, even if they did end with rather sour news ahead of E3 but going forward I'd like to see more confidence out of Tabata and his team.

That's actually what I like about Yoshida and Nomura I suppose, who represent two sides of the spectrum when it comes to the way they present things. You have Yoshida who is very open with his communication but he sticks to his own vision even if fans don't like what he's doing. He is hard pressed to change what he thinks is right and that's what I love about him.

On the other hand, you have Nomura - who is a very insular person and is someone whose work excites me quite a bit because he leaves much of his games to the imagination when they're being developed. He does what he wants and shows what he has when it's done - you don't see him making grand apologies or promises with games like KH3 and FF7. He's just going to make those games and put them out and if you don't like it then that's your problem.

I get the the feeling Tabata and co are sticking to a vision they see with FF15 and only listen to feedback that makes sense on a game play level if it meant better cohesion. I mean story wise they seem very strict on what they are doing and I am looking forward to it.

What the hell happened to Square? They did a complete 1080 degrees from last gen.

Their new president happened

“For example, in the past, when we developed console games with a worldwide premise, we lost our focus, and not only did they end up being games that weren’t for the Japanese, but they ended up being incomplete titles that weren’t even fit for a global audience.”

Matsuda continues, “On the other hand, there are games like the JRPG we made for the Japanese audience with the proper elements, Bravely Default, which ended up selling well all around the world.”

“Due to having split [the development mindset] according to regions around the world, we weren’t able to see this clearly up until now, but fans of JRPGs are really spread around the world,” emphasizes Matsuda. “Through the means of various networks, the latest information that is announced in Japan is instantaneously being spread across fans throughout the world. Whether it’s North America, Europe, or South America. There really isn’t much of a gap [in the relay of information].”

“With that in mind, and all of the collective fans, there’s a sense of mass, which loses the image of a niche market,” continues Matsuda. “For the new games we’ll be developing from this point on, while this may sound a bit extreme, we’ve been talking about making them as heavy JRPGs. I believe that way, we can better focus on our target, which will also bring better results.”

“If you focus too much on the global aspect, you might lose sight of who you’re actually making the game for,” explains Matsuda. “For example, if you look back at 2013, we’ve had some home console games made for a global audience that struggled.”

“The development team for Hitman: Absolution really struggled in this regard. They implemented a vast amount of ‘elements for the mass’ instead of for the core fans, as a way to try getting as many new players possible. It was a strategy to gain mass appeal. However, what makes the Hitman series good is its appeal to core gamers, and many fans felt the lack of focus in that regard, which ended up making it struggle in sales.”

“So, as for the AAA titles we’re currently developing for series, we basically want to go back to their roots and focus on the core audience, while working hard on content that can have fans say things like ‘this is the Hitman, we know’. I believe that is the best way for our development studios to display their strengths.”

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/31/bravely-defaults-success-west-making-square-enix-rethink-jrpgs/

The real test starts in august for Tabata in my opinion. He's done a great job being "open" (debatable after the Stella fiasco which I saw coming) but the guy has been good and I'll reserve my judgement and cut him some slack. I will judge the man going forward now since there's no more excuses besides let's be a bit more positive now shall we.

The real test starts in august for Tabata in my opinion. He's done a great job being "open" (debatable after the Stella fiasco which I saw coming) but the guy has been good and I'll reserve my judgement and cut him some slack. I will judge the man going forward now since there's no more excuses besides let's be a bit more positive now shall we.

The Stella thing is such a non-issue that I wish people would let it die.

Most people who ever play FFXV will never hear the name Stella. She's not in this game, and it doesn't matter.

Take FFXV as what it is, rather than what you imagine it to be based on an old game that isn't happening, and I suspect you'll be able to enjoy it a lot more.

Most people who ever play FFXV will never hear the name Stella. She's not in this game, and it doesn't matter.

Take FFXV as what it is, rather than what you imagine it to be based on an old game that isn't happening, and I suspect you'll be able to enjoy it a lot more.

The Stella issue for me was nothing and I agree with you just take FFXV for what it is and you'll enjoy it. I feel that Nomura's DNA is deeply engrained in the game even if he's not directing so it would be disservice not be excited to play this game... But I already hear people saying " you're wrong! FFXV was this and that" but I let bygones be bygones so let's agree to disagree.

That's exactly what I'm doing.

Bousf

I feel like, when you jump into promotional stage, you don't dedicate much to changing stuff over fan feedback, as the game is well underway.

They have listened and it is cool, but we all know feedback is a double-edged blade. If you listen too much, you may lose the essence of what you had envisioned. If you don't listen enough, you may end up putting out there something most people won't like.

The truth is that, whether we like it or not, we have to trust the XV team to do their job and follow their heart with the game, they have to stop asking us what's right and what isn't. I feel like Tabata's words on "XV isn't Versus anymore, face it" marked the beginning of just that, let's hope I'm right

SE was such a dumpster fire last generation, and I'm glad they're turning it around.

Half agree with this. I think you mean the Japanese side of SE was a dumpster fire.

the western studios that they were publishing had Deus Ex:HR, Just Cause 2, Tomb Raider.

Now its just both coming together. (hopefully) Its all exciting but lets see how all this plays out. But I am quite optimistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom