• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Multiplayer is now prominent over singleplayer, focusing on GAAS games

UberTag

No surprises here. Just means Square Enix will be getting less of my money as they chase multiplayer and games with non-existent/poor stories that never end. Plenty of other companies out there where I can go to get my fix of titles that Square Enix used to make and built their legacy on.

They don't make games FOR me any more... and that's okay.

Trago

I don't think this is necessarily saying "every game is going to be multiplayer" but more that they're probably going to be making a bigger point of post-launch support and DLC even with single-player games.

....and multiplayer!

Just like FFXV!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
He did? Tha'ts news to me.

Please be kidding.

Kingdom Hearts 3: https://gamerant.com/kingdom-hearts-3-online-multiplayer-124/

When speaking with Engadget, Nomura provided this update:

“Online is certainly part of my wish list — we want gamers to play for a while and an online component helps this.”

I think it was a video interview where they talked about how they were exploring online functionality for Final Fantasy VII, but it's harder to find due to that.

kChT7qdvY-vmP49AuywT6NtorMI=.gif

Grisby

Well, FF14 is an MMO but is still one of their best games to date and to me it has a better sp experience than FF15.

But still my gut reaction is :/

Demoskinos

Which is why if y'all care about Final Fantasy you should just be playing FFXIV. Thats where all of squares best ideas are these days.

Reorx

I hope SE delivers just one more medieval FF before they go for that GTA Online money (good luck lol).
For my FFVII friends I hope the remake won't be split into too many DLC's

Ooccoo

Makes it easier to skip the next Final Fantasy. Square Enix is pretty much shit anyways, won't be a big loss to me. Games as a service is a stupid concept, but I guess the publishers won. Don't have to develop intriguate worlds full of content if you can sell chunks of it as DLC. It was already bad in FFXV, now you're telling me this will be worse.

Alienous

I thought we reached the point where we realized tacked on multiplayer does nobody any favours.

I feel like investing in a great New Game Plus mode is more cost effective. People aren't looking to play B or C tier multiplayer experiences.

I buy games on a individual case by case so if they sell games pandering to multiplayer than I will just skip it. Make a complete game and add whatever you want post. Ffxv was a incomplete game with decent post content but shouldn't be the business model.

Kingdom Hearts 3: https://gamerant.com/kingdom-hearts-3-online-multiplayer-124/

I think it was a video interview where they talked about how they were exploring online functionality for Final Fantasy VII, but it's harder to find due to that.
Well... this sounds more like how they are approaching FFXV. Basically with post-launch updates and a live component so the game is just not one and done. This helps keep the games in the spotlight so the sales remain steady. I don't consider it bad per se but judging by how most of the people here react to the monthly FFXV updates, it isn't really the majority opinion.

The problem with certain GAAS games are the ones that rely on servers to work(the whole thing, not just multiplayer). Something like FFXV will still be playable many years from now but there are numerous phone, browser and mmos that are dead and unplayable. If they mean post launch support then that's fine but I would hate to find out about games that I missed during launch only to find out about it years (more like months) later through "game x is about to shut down" type of news.

Trago

Hate to say it, but we should'a seen this coming a mile away. AAA singleplayer games don't have the same impact like they used to, and with dev costs on the rise, it's getting harder and harder for singleplayer games that we like to get made. I'd like for a journalist or someone to really one day research the numbers on how much AAA single player games even make for publishers anymore compared to previous generations.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well... this sounds more like how they are approaching FFXV. Basically with post-launch updates and a live component so the game is just not one and done. This helps keep the games in the spotlight so the sales remain steady. I don't consider it bad per se but judging by how most of the people here react to the monthly FFXV updates, it isn't really the majority opinion.

I'm expecting a mix of regular games with multiplayer components that get updated over time and multiplayer centric titles.

They've been slow rolling toward this with multiplayer updates for a lot of their titles, but I imagine they'll start bundling them in at the start soon, and make some ground up titles.

That said, you do have to invest in these multiplayer modes to make them good, played, and profitable, even if they're attached to singleplayer campaigns. We will probably see some co-op campaigns a la Divinity or Wildlands as well.

Good look with Tomb Raider then. Games like that need to be SP only.

The last two both have multiplayer. The first game has competitive, and the second was updated with co-op survival.

Opa-Pa

I truly do wonder why people were being cynical about Nier being considered an important franchise by SE going forward. Puzzling.

Deft Beck

Anyone surprised? Do you guys seriously think SE will just let Nintendo, EA, Ubisoft, Activision make all the money while they fall into irrelevant? A small company can live with just a few franchise and dedicated fans, not a big company like SE.

NeoGAF needa a hard wake up on what is actually going on in videogame industry.

Squeenix's main issue seems to be spreading themselves out too much, never mind chasing after current design trends.

I suppose this is why the RPG Factory division exists, to give the core audience a bone while also indulging in their twenty-seven new gatcha games.

I'm so sure Tabatha next game is a co-op ActionRPGMMOlite that I would bet on it, but I have a total lack of self-confidence to do so.

But it is.

I'd imagine the plan here is that their major AAA tentpoles (Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, etc) will work like FFXV going forward where there are regular updates, events, and so-on (though maybe not quite to the extent that XV has it- they're clearly throwing a bunch of things at the wall to see what sticks with that one) while their more "pure" single-player experiences will be mid-budget affairs like Nier, Octopath Traveler, and the Mana remake.

Man, all these developers saving me money by making shit, microtransaction riddled games I actively avoid...

I don't know whether to thank them or be sad...

....and multiplayer!

Just like FFXV!

Right, I'm sure some'll get multiplayer features added in some form. I just think some people are misinterpreting things or jumping ahead of themselves here. GAAS isn't synonymous with multiplayer in itself and this doesn't mean SP is dead.

It's clear as day that Left Alive will have the stink of GaaS all over it.

GaaS is the AAA industry's wet dream so they're all going to go there.

Aters

Nintendo's latest new IP is ARMS, before that it's 1 2 Switch, before that it's Splatoon. Notice a trend? And Monolith is hiring for multiplayer designer.

Sometimes you have to wonder what do gaffers do on NeoGAF, how can people so into videogames don't know shit about what is going on?

I'd love to see Yoko Taro pull a big "FUCK YOU" to GAAS, like he did with trophies.

Yup cause he's above supporting his games and adding DLC, right?

Fuck, does this mean no more single player final fantasy games?

*rubs eyes*

Jesus Christ...

Which is why if y'all care about Final Fantasy you should just be playing FFXIV. Thats where all of squares best ideas are these days.

It's ironic when people bring up FFXIV, as if it is the antithesis to Games as a Service. Lol.

Alienous

Nintendo's latest new IP is ARMS, before that it's 1 2 Switch, before that it's Splatoon. Notice a trend? And Monolith is hiring for multiplayer designer.

Sometimes you have to wonder what do gaffers do on NeoGAF, how can people so into videogames don't know shit about what is going on?

Sony's latest new IP is Horizon: Zero Dawn. What does that say about videogames?

Trago

Right, I'm sure some'll get multiplayer features added in some form. I just think some people are misinterpreting things or jumping ahead of themselves here. GAAS isn't synonymous with multiplayer in itself and this doesn't mean SP is dead.

Oh definitely. Regular post release DLC and buyable cosmetic DLC could be considered GAAS. SP games aren't going away, but you can bet your ass Square's gonna try and milk the money cow out of every AAA game they release from now on.

Necro900

I'm probably out after this gen.

Yep, seeing where this industry is heading with MP-only games, lootboxes, microtransactions, kids yelling on twitch and whatnot.. this sounds realistic.

The good thing is I'll finally be able to play my gargantuan backlog.

Top Bottom