• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Multiplayer is now prominent over singleplayer, focusing on GAAS games

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Every year, SE moves further and further away from the company I adored in the '90s.

watdaeff4

I don't think this is necessarily saying "every game is going to be multiplayer" but more that they're probably going to be making a bigger point of post-launch support and DLC even with single-player games.

Considering how they mention MP is more important and "bigger" than SP; it would be foolish to think that most of their future games won't have a strong MP component if not the primary focus

Jotakori

If they're adding multiplayer stuff AFTER a full SP story -- like XV, then I don't really care cuz I can easily ignore it. But if they're gonna start going straight-up multiplayer I'm out. :(

AmuroChan

I feel like this bubble is going to burst at some point. I understand the potential lucrative returns of a successful GAAS game, but people only have so many hours of free time. A person who's invested in Destiny probably isn't going to commit to two other GAAS games, but he/she may be able to squeeze in some single-player games in their schedule.

For me personally, I can only commit to one GAAS game at any one time. So if a majority of AAA games moving forward are going to become GAAS, that means I won't be buying as many games.

Oh definitely. Regular post release DLC and buyable cosmetic DLC could be considered GAAS. SP games aren't going away, but you can bet your ass Square's gonna try and milk the money cow out of every AAA game they release from now on.

Probably. But really, this is pretty much the route AAA in general has been heading for ages. There haven't really been a ton of AAA games lately that don't have DLC or post-launch support. It's not a problem in itself as long as the content is good and the price is fair. Well, we'll have to see on that front anyway...

Even games held up as primarily SP like Uncharted 4, The Last of Us, have multiplayer. Uncharted 4's DLC even became a whole new game because of how meaty it was. Even from Nintendo, Breath of the Wild has DLC. I wouldn't be surprised if Mario Odyssey or Xenoblade 2 do either.

Considering how they mention MP is more important and "bigger" than SP; it would be foolish to think that most of their future games won't have a strong MP component if not the primary focus

I said that it doesn't "necessarily" mean MP. I didn't rule out that this means more games will have MP of some sort. I'm saying it's not the only situation they're alluding to here. I said this in my second post as well.

Petrae

This doesn't surprise me; multiplayer and games as a service are where the modern video game industry has been heading for awhile now. It saddens me for sure, as a solo-only game player, but I'm ready to walk away when this crap takes over.

Every year, SE moves further and further away from the company I adored in the '90s.

That Square has been dead and buried for years, and it's not ever coming back.

Aters

Sony's latest new IP is Horizon: Zero Dawn. What does that say about videogames?

Sony have all the 3rs party games in their hand, they can let Ubisoft and EA make those multiplayer games for them. Not Nintendo, if Nintendo want to expand the library of their console, they have to do it themselves. And clearly they know what part of their lineup needs an expansion the most.

Trago

I feel like this bubble is going to burst at some point. I understand the potential lucrative returns of a successful GAAS game, but people only have so many hours of free time. A person who's invested in Destiny probably isn't going to commit to two other GAAS games, but he/she may be able to squeeze in some single-player games in their schedule.

For me personally, I can only commit to one GAAS game at any one time. So if a majority of AAA games moving forward are going to become GAAS, that means I won't be buying as many games.

The other side to that coin is that AAA single player games cost la lot of money to develop. It's definitely a risk from the publisher's perspective. And they agree because we're seeing less and less AAA SP games from all the major players anyway. It's an issue many need to acknowledge if they're voicing concerns over this.

Begaria

Dammit, Square Enix. Right when you were on a roll with good single player (or with minor multiplayer) releases, you go ahead and say this.

Koozek

Haven't S-E said they basically consider FFXV to be GAAS as they define it? GAAS does not have to mean MP only or even MP focused.
This. It just means continuous support through regular free updates, DLC, timed events, cross-overs etc. to maintain interest and engagement post-launch. I don't see anything bad about that and optional multiplayer modes a year later like with FFXV don't have any harm on the games' singleplayer modes; it's just an additional way for fans to keep enjoying games they like for a longer time.

Trago

I don't see how Nier and GAAS could work, honestly.

wQc9RPi.gif

xch1n

I'm glad that I've been enjoying smaller AA/Indie titles for my singleplayer/story heavy games because AAA games in the vein of what I enjoy look to be going the way of the dodo.

Aters

The market is fickle and constantly changing. Yes, this is definitively where the market is going right now, but it's going to keep changing. Trends often push back too.

Man I sure hope EA and Ubisoft won't get bit in the ass when single player games make a comeback.

I'm probably out after this gen.

I've thought that before, but surprises always surface. Japan had come through in spades this year in a way I don't think they have since pre-Tohoku earthquake. This year has been my favorite since maybe '04, and I would've thought my tastes were left in the past.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't see how Nier and GAAS could work, honestly.
The same way games like FFXV, AC:Syndicate, Watch Dogs 2 do, paid mini expansions, cosmetic dlc, and free dlc updates.

Man I sure hope EA and Ubisoft won't get bit in the ass when single player games make a comeback.
The above are all SP focused titles that were considered GaaS by their devs.

Sony's latest new IP is Horizon: Zero Dawn. What does that say about videogames?

Horizon is getting a massive DLC expansion. That's pretty reminiscent of the whole industry nowadays and what is in part being referenced here.

GAAS doesn't solely = multiplayer. It also refers to how so many SP games are getting big expansions over time.

Lunar15

Games as a Service will likely never go away, but I'm not convinced that it means the end of single player games, or even story driven games. It might mean those things are different than we're used to, but I think the core of what people are looking for will still remain if there IS an existing market.

Nintendo's latest new IP is ARMS, before that it's 1 2 Switch, before that it's Splatoon. Notice a trend? And Monolith is hiring for multiplayer designer.

Sometimes you have to wonder what do gaffers do on NeoGAF, how can people so into videogames don't know shit about what is going on?

People can still be bummed out. Which is what is happening in this thread. It doesn’t mean they’re stupid

Aters

The above are all SP focused titles that were considered GaaS by their devs.

Yeah, but people are freaking out because apparently the multiplayer mode in FFXV and Assassin's Creed are gonna ruin the game.

Games as a Service will likely never go away, but I'm not convinced that it means the end of single player games, or even story driven games. It might mean those things are different than we're used to, but I think the core of what people are looking for will still remain if there IS an existing market.

If you think about it, SE don't have many multiplayer cards in their hands: FFXIV, DQX, that's it. It's only logical that they'd invest more into it. I never say single player games will go away, I think games like Nier, Left Alive, Octopath have shown SE's confidence in single player titles. But they will explore the multiplayer space more, FFXV is doing this already, and I don't see anything wrong with it.

In general we'll get less AAA single player games and more AAA multiplayer games. Doesn't mean one would drive the other into extinction.

Savitar

DO NOT WANT

I get the feeling they are doing multiplayer mainly to chase that micro transaction monkey in a big way.

Think of all the money they can make with costumes alone.

Top Bottom