• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix: Nier way above expectations, will be significant franchise going forward

Gbraga

SilentRob

So, uh, I'm going to do the worst thing possible and link to myself because, internally, I feel pretty much exactly as I did then externally.

Holy shit. Completely and utterly unbelievable. Nier is a major franchise. What.

Gbraga

We're gonna be saved, guys. Each and every one of us.

BECOME AS GODS

How's NieR Automata on PC? Always wanted to play it there but I don't have the funds for it.

It's not great, but if you don't mind using a single mod that's quite easy to install, you'll have the best possible version of the game, by far.

It used to have crashes in some graphics cards, so that completely invalidated the performance and visual boosts provided by the mod, but as far as I know that was fixed with new drivers.

killatopak

You know what will make your games different while still being a direct sequel to NieR?

Turn based battles.

Boom! Meltdown.

It's not great, but if you don't mind using a single mod that's quite easy to install, you'll have the best possible version of the game, by far.

It used to have crashes in some graphics cards, so that completely invalidated the performance and visual boosts provided by the mod, but as far as I know that was fixed with new drivers.
That doesn't sound bad at all! What's the cheapest way to get a copy?

trejo

Seeing "Nier" and "major franchise" spoken of in the same sentence feels almost unreal. This truly is the weirdest timeline.

Anything Yoko Taro puts out will be hype no matter what.

PrimeBeef

Honestly, I'm kinda worried that they'll mess the IP if they gonna keep pumping NieRs, especially if they do direct sequels.
This is my concern with franchising. Not every good or good selling game needs to be a franchise. Sometimes it can be a one off and there is nothing wrong with that. Making sequels just because is not good IMO.

guyssorry

The games don't do much for me (Nier 1 was mediocre; Automata was better but still missing something...), but the music in them is always exceptional/god-tier. If this means more great music, then I am all in for it (yes, I value music a lot).

I love both Niers, a lot. But I'm not quite sure how it would work as a major franchise. Particularly don't want to envision Nier as service. Though maybe Taro would twist that in a hilarious way.

But muh sexualitation..
Sex sells,funny how this didn't backfire a lot on them though...i mean,some people were angry at first but now they are "we don't give a fuck,big asses!"
Space+is+pretty+dandy+animu+space+dandy+this+guy+is+a_21d0b5_5068936.png

Replace Dandy with Killer Queen

Yoko Taro can make as many games as he wants in as many genres as he wants, as long as they are all heavy on story.

Personally, I wish he would do a more gameplay-traditional JRPG, like Final Fantasy or Persona.

SilentRob

But muh sexualitation..
Sex sells,funny how this didn't backfire a lot on them though...i mean,some people were angry at first but now they are "we don't give a fuck,big asses!"

Eh, you can still not like the character design and completely misplaced (and, in-universe, pretty nonsensical) sexualization of the main female character and love the game at the same time :p

killatopak

Yoko Taro can make as many games as he wants in as many genres as he wants, as long as they are all heavy on story.

Personally, I wish he would do a more gameplay-traditional JRPG, like Final Fantasy or Persona.

He expressed interest in making a Dragon Quest game and promised to make it dark as hell.

Almond

As much as I love NieR, this makes me a little uneasy.....with it being Square Enix and all.

sOH6KAc.gif

But, let's see what branch we follow.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
As much as I love NieR, this makes me a little uneasy.....with it being Square Enix and all.

I dunno but they've improved a lot this gen compare to last gen.

killatopak

Fucking hell, yes. I want this.

Taro Yoko: Hmmm... Dragon Quest... if I was allowed to do anything, I'd take Dragon Quest and make it a really brutal, really nasty game. You'd see the monsters start eating people, they'd be molesting the female characters too.

Yosuke Saito: There are already places like that in Dragon Quest!

Yoko: Ahh, I don't need to make it then, it's been done already.

Saito: ...but I don't think Dragon Quest has been done overall in that way. [laughs]

Yoko: I'd love to see all the cute little villagers running around screaming and getting torn apart!

Would you participate in making Dragon Quest series as creator?

Yoko Taro: I have never thought about making a Dragon Quest game. I actually never wanted to make a story-oriented game in general. As a kid, I only played shooting game like Gradius at first. But since people were playing more Dragon Quest than Gradius, I thought I’d play it and it was good.

Yosuke Saito: But you handled many RPGs anyway.

Yoko Taro: It can’t be helped. When you release a game under Square Enix, it always made you thought that the curse of making an RPG exists within Square Enix. Non-RPG will not sells.

Yoko Taro: But if I was involved on Dragon Quest series, I wanted to make a pinball game of Dragon Quest.
Very conflicting things he want to do for Dragon Quest. Though I think he was joking the whole time on both interviews, I still really want him make a DQ or FF game.

As for making the NieR a franchise, we won't make it past NieR 4.

Dragon Quest already got an 11th installment, will NieR and Drakengard series reach that?

Yoko Taro: If I’m still alive? Well Horii-san is just a great and strong person. If it’s me I think I’ll just run away after the 4th installment while screaming “Uwaaa~”

What's with this all concern for a new IP if the dude doesn't even do the same thing twice anyways? :p
Yoko Taro's Gravity Rush 3.

Featuring a schizophrenic Kat who kills Raven in the end and then explodes due to her having too much power which blankets the world in eternal winter with an incurable disease.

Top Bottom