• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will reveal a new console RPG that isn’t a remake in December

Famassu

Hope is for 3DS, not too many games for next year.
Console. Not handheld. It's either a Jump Festa announcement (in which case I'd wager a guess it's possibly Dragon Quest XI or Star Ocean 5 or something in those veins) or that PlayStation December event announcement (in which case it could be a new IP?)

Dark_castle

He's responsible for FF3 and FF3 DS right? Fuck no then.

He's not.

He was the director of FFVI, FFIX, FFXII and worked on game design of older FF including FFV and FF Tactics. It's speculated that he was planning on the original FFXV, which has been internally renamed to FFXVI.

"We’ll come out with a bang and make announcements for it, both domestic and internationally."

If they're announcing both domestic and internationally I believe it´ll be in a western event.

li bur

I doubt it would be DQ, not when they just announce that DQ spin off from musou developers. I hope its a new IP though.

Shion

He's not.

He was the director of FFVI, FFIX, FFXII and worked on game design of older FF including FFV and FF Tactics. It's speculated that he was planning on the original FFXV, which has been internally renamed to FFXVI.
I want to believe.

Please be true...

My guess is something similar in look and feel (old-school but with modern updates like sliding difficulty scale etc) to Bravely Default.

Hoping for DQ XI above all else though.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Reading the translated interview, he speaks separately about consoles, smartphone and PC. So, I suppose "consoles" include handhelds.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I hope it's a new IP or that Saga game that they had talked about. Time to bring Saga to the next level.

DQ is coming no matter what so I rather see something unpredictable.

People should probably stop guessing that it's Dragon Quest since Matsuda mentioned it's a project that started since he became president. DQXI has likely been in development much longer than that.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Lol. You've been reading 1Truth2Lies dude's posts, right? :p

Lol...That's his current name?

Also, they didn't say that it's developed by Japan so it might be from the Eidos side.

Famassu

He's responsible for FF3 and FF3 DS right? Fuck no then.
Lulz-no. He's directed/been a major influence with most of the best FFs and been involved with (mostly) some of the better battle/combat design in the franchise (FFV, VI, XII, Tactics and, as much as I like to hate on the game due to its slowness, IX)

Dark_castle

Lol. You've been reading 1Truth2Lies dude's posts, right? :p

Yeah, lol. I think it's a reasonable speculation though. Hiroyuki Ito has extensive game design and directing experience with FF. He can't possibly be doing nothing all these years other than one or two small budget mobile games.

Kouriozan

Considering Square Enix recent history of releasing only FF/DQ games like their other IPs died, it's can only be DQ XI.
Can't wait for it to not release here like the several 3DS games.

Kouriozan

Can't wait for it to not release here like the several 3DS games.
"Can't justify the cost".

They in fact killed their DQ fanbase outside of Japan.

zeromcd73

I don't think it's Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. It sounds like it will be a new IP or an old IP revival.
ここ最近『ドラゴンクエスト』や『ファイナルファンタジー』シリーズのリメイクやスマホ版ばかりがリリースされている現状を憂いたインタビュワーが、同社が持つ他IPの復活も願っているという胸中を告げると

The reply about this new game coming was in regards to a question being asked about how SE's focus is on Dragon Quest and FF remakes and smartphone games despite the fans desire for the revival of their old IP.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Maybe they are reviving this
(A port is not a remake)

YBI1skT.png

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
You can bet this being the new game by Kitase and Toriyama. They're silent from too long and we already knew they were working on something already before LR: FFXIII even released. My hype is really big, hoping it's a Final Fantasy and not a new-IP though. I also think for DQXI is too early, the Musou game needs all the hype and space possible.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't think it's Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. It sounds like it will be a new IP or an old IP revival.

The reply about this new game coming was in regards to a question being asked about how SE's focus is on Dragon Quest and FF remakes and smartphone games despite the fans desire for the revival of their old IP.

Mmmh...

Dark_castle

The reply about this new game coming was in regards to a question being asked about SE's focus on Dragon Quest and FF remakes and smartphone games despite the desire for the revival of their old IP.

Interesting.

Valkyrie's Profile: Hrist.

wmlk

Honestly, I would prefer a new IP than a revival. I highly doubt Valkyria Profile holds any value to the consumer. It's not a Chrono game.

But if this was a Chrono game...man.

Famassu

Heroes is PS3/PS4, and you can bet DQXI would be too.
I doubt they'd release DQXI for PS3. I don't see it being released before 2016 and it would make absolutely zero sense to go through the headache of releasing a possibly massive Dragon Quest on PS3 in 2016 or beyond, given how much it would limit the game and how much of a pain PS3 is to develop for. The only reason Heroes is probably released for PS3 as well is because PS4 hasn't done well enough in Japan to fully support a big-ish Japan-centric game like Dragon Quest Heroes, but I'm sure they hope the situation has changed once games like DQH, FFT0 HD, FFXV, MGS5 and others have built up the install base, so I don't see them wanting to limit one of their flagship franchise's big mainline release to 10 year old hardware.

Percy

Banned
DQ and FF are the only RPG IPs I could see SE making a home console game of these days, and they already have FF games coming, so it can really only be DQXI I'd say... but somehow it's hard to imagine that as a home console release given Japan's rejection of that market in recent times.

Top Bottom