• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will reveal a new console RPG that isn’t a remake in December

Halabane

New. Yeah dq 11 would make sense. Too bad it won't be dq 10 on vita and ps4. Or could it? FF XIV is doing okay on ps4 no? Another console mmo from se??

Sou Da

Final Fantasy XIII: The After Years

Lightning's mundane adventures in the real world with her husband and his family.

Famassu

Yeah, it's best to temper expectations with this.

Square already has enough on its plate for home console games. It'll likely be handheld or a disappointment.
They really don't. They have a couple of (announced) massive games with FFXV & Kingdom Hearts III and a few handheld/mobile titles but the dev team of FFXV isn't too huge (somewhere between 200-300 people according to Tabata), KHIII is from SQEX's Osaka offices and most of the portable/mobile titles aren't (fully) internally developed, so that still leaves a lot of people from the main Tokyo offices who aren't tied to FFXV or the on-going support of their MMOs. FFXV will also be released relatively soon and who knows when KHIII will be out, so they quite likely need to have MORE than just those two for the next 2-3 years.

FFXIV's dev team had 600-700+ people working on it at one point, so after its completion I'm sure SQEX could start moving forward with new console projects again. DQXI is probably mostly developed by people behind DQX who they don't need for supporting the MMO.Lightning Returns was also finished this year. I doubt all of the hundreds of people from those games who they don't need for FFXIV's ongoing support and who needed to move on to a new project after they finished LR went to FFXV, so it isn't too unreasonable to assume that Square Enix has had 2-4 console JRPGs of varying sizes (i.e. from Drakengard 3/Nier like mid sized games to FFXV like gargantuan efforts) in the pipeline for around 1,5 years by now (with some planning & early development with small(er) teams even prior to that) with planned releases in 2015-2016.

And that isn't even accounting publishing games from devs like Tri-Ace or collaborations like Dragon Quest Heroes.

Calling it now. It is Shinji Hashimoto's project with Hiroyuki Itou.

Hashimoto was working on a secret project as teased in Famitsu. He was seen in the PlayStation Experience video.

See..... the dots connect. PSX announcement for the new project of Hiroyuki Itou, with art from Yoshitaka Amano, music by Yoko Shimomura, and produced by Shinji Hashimoto.

A man can dream

So I take it they mentioned the "it's not a remake" part at the end just to quell all of the inevitable "Is it an FF7 remake?!" questions they'd get from fans!

So I take it they mentioned the "it's not a remake" part at the end just to quell all of the inevitable "Is it an FF7 remake?!" questions they'd get from fans!
Knowing SE, People would have expected a LR: FXIII trilogy on PS4/XBO instead of a new console RPG. So glad to see that they clarified the no remake part.

I'm kinda cautious with the wording. It's not a remake so it could still be a port, right? DQ10 for PS4 with western localization? This is Square Enix after all. Keeping my expectation the lowest possible is probably a good idea.

I sympathize with the people that hold on to this tragic hope that Hiroyuki Itou will ever be heard from again.

Reminds me of myself with Imamura @ Team Silent.
Time has left these guys in the past, fellas. Let it go. :(

CHC

Definitely going to be blown away if this isn't somrhging completely lame. Square is like some kind of evil genie that grants wishes which always come out horribly wrong.

BibiMaghoo

Defiance-Promotional-Morelok-F.jpg

PLEASE

Am I the only one disappointed that they aren't remastering FFXII? I mean I'll happily take more rpgs and new ones at that but FFXII seems like a no brainer.

Top Bottom