• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix will reveal a new console RPG that isn’t a remake in December

wmlk

Jump Festa is probably more likely. Unless it's something that Square is hoping to make a big push with in the west.

Consoles are selling well out West, so it wouldn't be surprising if we see something out there first.

I think this is a new Mana game with a focus on online like they've previously talked about for console games.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe they are reviving this
(A port is not a remake)

YBI1skT.png

Those Famitsu readers will finally get their game and contribute greatly to the PS4 sales figures.

I was hoping the full title was "that isn't a remake or sequel".
Let's see a new IP!

"Our new game can't possibly be so original and non-milky!"

Collaboration with Compile Hearts, Idea Factory and Imagepoch.

Pooya

FFX-3 Toriyama Returns

can't wait.

I don't think it's Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy. It sounds like it will be a new IP or an old IP revival.

The reply about this new game coming was in regards to a question being asked about how SE's focus is on Dragon Quest and FF remakes and smartphone games despite the fans desire for the revival of their old IP.

#SaGa25 Kawazu didn't lie.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
FFX-3 Toriyama Returns

Kitase & Toriyama would mean at least a "big aaa" game is in the work instead of some smaller project, and god only knows how many big budget titles the jrpg needs to be big again on home consoles. I hope it's a Final Fantasy of some sort cause of "sales" mostly. An AAA needs to sell well afterall. I'm fine with a new IP but it'll be a big risk on their part so maybe it's better to play it safe and make a FF spin off series or sequel*prequel to previous main entries.

Famassu

You can bet this being the new game by Kitase and Toriyama. They're silent from too long and we already knew they were working on something already before LR: FFXIII even released. My hype is really big, hoping it's a Final Fantasy and not a new-IP though. I also think for DQXI is too early, the Musou game needs all the hype and space possible.
Eh, I doubt they'd have anything to show from a brand-new game this soon after Lightning Returns, especially a big new console game RPG, even if they had some ideas of what they were doing afterwards before Lightning Returns' release. When starting to develop something that isn't a quick cash grab sequel like X-2, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns, they usually don't rush things and games can be in planning stages with a small team for a relatively long time until they feel they have some idea worth exploring further. If anything, some other team has been working on some pre-/early development of FFXVI and I doubt Toriyama will get another chance with a (mainline) Final Fantasy until FFXVII (if ever).

They haven't been silent all that long, it's hardly been a year since they finished Lightning Returns' and less than a year from its western localization's release. They could still easily be in some early phases of development after spending a good ~6+ months planning thoroughly what their next project would be. It's time to let Ito out of the basement cleaning closet to direct something for consoles again or something before unleashing Toriyama on the world again.

Famassu

Jump Festa is probably more likely. Unless it's something that Square is hoping to make a big push with in the west.

A console RPG basically means that they HAVE to make a big push in the west because Japan alone sure as hell isn't going to be profitable enough for anything else but the nichest of the niche low-budget JRPG & Dragon Quest, if this new game has even 1/10th of the production values of a mainline FF game.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
If it's an old IP revival I'm gonna bet on Chrono.

Chrono > Valk Prof > Mana > Saga > Musashi
Zeromcd, is the difference between consoles, PC and mobile the same as in the translated version of the article?

Famassu

If it's an old IP revival I'm gonna bet on Chrono.

Chrono > Valk Prof > Mana > Saga > Musashi

Considering it's SaGa's 25th anniversary and they've implied they are cooking something bigger than just some remaster or something behind the scenes (and wasn't there some delayed SaGa announcement we haven't gotten yet), I'd say something like

SaGa > Chrono > Mana > Valkyrie Profile > Musashi

is more probable order of likeliness, with the SaGa game being one of those mid sized games they said they were going to start focusing on a bit more in between giant projects like FFXV & DQXI.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Square-Enix announces FINAL FANTASY MALA IPSA NOVA PROJECT

Final Fantasy XV to extend beyond, into FFXV-2, FFXV-3, and FFXV Haeresis for mobile phones.

Unfortunately, while Noctis and his gang will make appearances in each of the titles, the protagonist will someone different you don't care about. Unless XV-2 sells poorly, in which case we will inject him into our planned XV-3, even if it makes him into a completely different character. The mobile game will have no protagonist, and instead will feature the iconic FINAL FANTASY hand cursor as you mindlessly click on anything and everything.

Coming in 2020, 2021, and 2022.

Please be excited.

zeromcd73

Zeromcd, is the difference between consoles, PC and mobile the same as in the translated version of the article?

スクウェア・エニックスが、家庭用ゲーム機向けに新作RPGを制作していることが、ゲーム誌に掲載されている松田社長のインタビューより明らかとなりました。

Edit: Whoops, just read further down in the article

なお、現段階では据え置き機か携帯機かは言えないそうです
Not mentioned if handheld or home yet.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Home consoles; nothing about PC/Mobile except in regards to SE's mobile phone output.

家庭用ゲーム機向け = For home game consoles

So, a game for home consoles not FF/DQ/remake, given the other extract you talked about earlier?

wmlk

Yeah, it's best to temper expectations with this.

Square already has enough on its plate for home console games. It'll likely be handheld or a disappointment.

Famassu

Toriyama is like Garland from FF I, who always comes back, so I expect a game directed by him
If it was a smaller handheld game, maybe Toriyama could have something new to show by now, but considering it hasn't even been year since he was fully done with Lightning Returns (so he wouldn't have had much time to plan something new), a console JRPG would easily be a 2-3,5 year project at the very least (depending on the size of the project) and how Square Enix doesn't show games prematurely nowadays, I very much doubt they'd show Toriyama's new project this early when a new console JRPG from him probably wouldn't be released until late 2016/sometime in 2017 and when they would have probably only started (early) development recently.

Consoles are selling well out West, so it wouldn't be surprising if we see something out there first.

I think this is a new Mana game with a focus on online like they've previously talked about for console games.

The only reason I think it could be announced at the PSX is because we know that Hashimoto is supposed to be there, but he isn't listed as being on any of the panels. Which could mean that his appearance is related to the keynote.

vanx0

Square-Enix announces FINAL FANTASY MALA IPSA NOVA PROJECT

Final Fantasy XV to extend beyond, into FFXV-2, FFXV-3, and FFXV Haeresis for mobile phones.

Unfortunately, while Noctis and his gang will make appearances in each of the titles, the protagonist will someone different you don't care about. Unless XV-2 sells poorly, in which case we will inject him into our planned XV-3, even if it makes him into a completely different character. The mobile game will have no protagonist, and instead will feature the iconic FINAL FANTASY hand cursor as you mindlessly click on anything and everything.

Coming in 2020, 2021, and 2022.

Please be excited.

LOL, I see this coming though

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
So for many mobile games SE makes teaser sites but nothing for a new console RPG?
Priorities i guess.

wmlk

The only reason I think it could be announced at the PSX is because we know that Hashimoto is supposed to be there, but he isn't listed as being on any of the panels. Which could mean that his appearance is related to the keynote.

I think it's a very big deal that we saw Hashimoto and Ono at the video announcement for PSX.

Hashimoto may also be at Las Vegas for the whole week since TGAs are also happening just days prior.

So for many mobile games SE makes teaser sites but nothing for a new console RPG?
Priorities i guess.

They never do countdowns for good games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Probably a new SaGa game.

Romancing SaGa 4th?

Top Bottom