• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

Nanashrew

Banned
Well, I know of at least one person who is happy and really wants to get that K. Rool costume while everyone else here is grieving.

King K.Rool is in Smash...

CLEFNIBUYAA8d6h.jpg

post-30744-not-like-this-not-like-this-gi-DBvb.gif

Kevinroc

Totally unexpected. I actually thought we'd get Wolf with this update since it's been about two months since we got Ryu, Roy, and Lucas (and they all came about two months after Mewtwo).

im shocked nintendo is finally acknowledging king k rool again also this is smart on nintendo to roll this out before the huge splatoon update.

Hatchtag

Banned
It is a tad odd that they'd release three characters all at once in June and release none roughly two months later.

KHlover

Banned
So since this comes without balance patch I can still upload my recent replays to youtube, right?

Me beating anura and smashkirby has to be documented <3

Richie

This is good news, actually. These costumes were likely created before the ballot started, which means they were paying attention to the "irrelevant" character before taking the ballot results into account. He even has the gold belly, which hasn't been seen since Donkey Kong 64!

...right? :(

I don't know, man, don't wanna give ye false hopes, but this could very well be yet another case of Sakurai's trademark trolling. Revealing him alongside Chrom, whom we all know was kicked out of the roster, makes this either sadistic or devilishly hilarious if Rool IS in the works.

At any rate, I assume buying the Mii outfit in spades can't hurt the cause ;P

NotLiquid

Given recent circumstances, I imagine we were to get a Direct this week with the Splatoon & Smash updates among other things (European Happy Home Designer release bundles were revealed this week too) but due to Iwata's passing, they felt it too soon but released information anyway

The easier explanation is that this was all information we already knew of. There's no point in making a Direct for the Smash news since the only news on that front is the release date. The Splatoon update, while major, was also info we knew of (mostly), and things like the AC bundle would only suit an all-purpose Direct if there was any real news to be shared yet. We're still relatively fresh from E3 and I wouldn't expect a Direct for anything until August (probably Mario Maker).

Well this is a curveball, I thought K. Rool would win the ballot for sure (of course he still could) but this makes me think who could instead? Is there a character that was being backed as much K. Rool?

Linkhero1

Is there a reason why Mii Costumes can't turn out to be DLC characters in the long run? I don't K. Rool DLC is out of the question entirely.

Hatchtag

Banned
Well this is a curveball, I thought K. Rool would win the ballot for sure (of course he still could) but this makes me think who could instead? Is there a character that was being backed as much K. Rool?

IMO, aside from vets, Inklings, K Rool and Ridley probably share in being the most likely.

NotLiquid

Mii costumes have no bearing on the ballot. Plenty of existing fighters have Mii costumes and work on the ballot fighters haven't commenced.

To answer your last question, Inklings probably. Or Snake and Ridley. The former is only a matter of when.

Drago

Is there a reason why Mii Costumes can't turn out to be DLC characters in the long run? I don't K. Rool DLC is out of the question entirely.

There's no precedent for Mii suits becoming playable characters, but there's nothing really stopping it either. Link got a DLC costume though he was already playable so who knows.

I'm still holding out some hope for K.Rool but the costume definitely makes it feel way more unlikely. Oh well.

18-Volt

No Snake, no Ice Climbers, no Ridley, no Isabelle, no Inkling and now no King K Rool. Wonder what will come out of Ballot. Wolf? Banjo? Rayman?

MrPanic

Maybe this is just a test to see how many people would actually buy a K. Rool costume before they put the money in to making him a character.
Though that would be a really bad idea as that probably isn't the same target audience.

lupinko

This is good news, actually. These costumes were likely created before the ballot started, which means they were paying attention to the "irrelevant" character before taking the ballot results into account. He even has the gold belly, which hasn't been seen since Donkey Kong 64!

...right? :(

Truly the hero Kongo Bongo deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Shovel Knight.

Think about it. He has a such a loyal fanbase so quickly. It reasonated with all retro gamers. So he's being voted a ton. You just don't see people mentioning him on forums because they don't really expect him, but he secretly is winning thanks to his loyal fanbase.

...only half joking. If the obvious K Rool/Ridley doesn't win, then I suspect the winner is someone who doesn't Have a lot of discussion on forums (like Inklings since everyone thinks its too recent or Indie characters since...well its Indie characters. It'd be too good to be true imo) but has a very loyal fanbase tha votes for them.

Of course they could still just make a KRool character anywayz. >_>

RomanceDawn

I actually think this means K Rool is even more likely to get in as a fighter. Sakurai must be painfully aware of the miiverse meltdowns that are about to begin. This is just one of those things to get fans to lose hope only to be pleasantly surprised. He's in, trust me.

Now come on Sakurai where is my Ridley costume?! Unless he is the real super surprise deluxe!

Will Tournament Mode allow me and an online friend play against 2 randoms with settings we prefer (stocks, etc.)?

And price for the stages?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Funnily enough we were discussing getting a character is as a Mii costume (in this case Geno) as a substitute for a full character. Of course with Geno we were arguing that was his only chance, whereas Rool was seen as a likely candidate for a proper fighter. Will be interesting to see the feedback to this...

Hatchtag

Banned
Inklings are ones you want to have for a new game.

That's true. I think every likely ballot winner has some major reasons against them getting in, though:
Inklings: Too new/ink mechanics hard to implement
Ridley: Too big, rejected already
K Rool: Has barely been in Donkey Kong as of late
Shantae/Shovel Knight: Too flavor of the month, too niche, too new, too indie
Isaac/Custom Robo: Too niche, hasn't had a game in a while, barely any Golden Sun content in Smash 4 (and no Custom Robo content)
Bayonetta: Too niche, especially for a third party
Wonder Red: Also too niche
Banjo & Kazooie: Ninty gains virtually nothing from adding them

I think the reason K Rool seemed like the most likely to win is because he had the least issues.

Top Bottom