• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

Zyrox

Guys just because Rool got a Mii costume doesn't mean he can't be a playable character as well. In fact, I think this is a positive announcement for Rool fans, since it shows that they are acknowledging the character at all, and maybe it hints at things to come. Judging from vibes around the internet, Rool seems to have quite a few ballot votes going for him. And Sakurai said he wanted to please the fans.
Personally I don't even like Rool, but it makes no sense to count this as some sort of deconfirmation. Keep believing, Rool fans, no need to give up hope.

King K.Rool is in Smash...

CLEFNIBUYAA8d6h.jpg

Why was I scrolling so slowly when I read this?

Chest armour confirmed at least.

KingBroly

Banned
That's true. I think every likely ballot winner has some major reasons against them getting in, though:
Inklings: Too new/ink mechanics hard to implement
Ridley: Too big, rejected already
K Rool: Has barely been in Donkey Kong as of late
Shantae/Shovel Knight: Too flavor of the month, too niche, too new, too indie
Isaac/Custom Robo: Too niche, hasn't had a game in a while, barely any Golden Sun content in Smash 4 (and no Custom Robo content)
Bayonetta: Too niche, especially for a third party
Wonder Red: Also too niche
Banjo & Kazooie: Ninty gains virtually nothing from adding them

I think the reason K Rool seemed like the most likely to win is because he had the least issues.

If they put an indie character in Smash, it'd 100% be Commander Video. That character was born on Wii, and that series started as a Wii Ware title. Not only that, he has a Trophy in Smash U. That's pretty special.

That's true. I think every likely ballot winner has some major reasons against them getting in, though:
Inklings: Too new/ink mechanics hard to implement
Ridley: Too big, rejected already
K Rool: Has barely been in Donkey Kong as of late
Shantae/Shovel Knight: Too flavor of the month, too niche, too new, too indie
Isaac/Custom Robo: Too niche, hasn't had a game in a while, barely any Golden Sun content in Smash 4 (and no Custom Robo content)
Bayonetta: Too niche, especially for a third party
Wonder Red: Also too niche
Banjo & Kazooie: Ninty gains virtually nothing from adding them

I think the reason K Rool seemed like the most likely to win is because he had the least issues.
KRool and Ridley has huge fans tho.

But I mostly agree. Besides those, Paper Mario, Captain Toad/Other Toad, and now Chibi Robo, and maybe Mallo. Seems they are fairly high up now in the "have a chance" tier. Nintendo has just won out of major characters. Its why I think they'll start introducing more third parties. Possibly niche (Atlus) or Indie (Shantae) Of course they could not, and it'd likely be from Capcom/BN/Sega. With maybe SE joining in with a Dragon Quest character some time or another. I do think we may get a couple more third party characters.

greg400

Banned
Still kinda peeved that we have to pay for DLC stages that were already in previous games of the series but I am really glad they are bringing back more N64 maps.

Since the ballot deadline is until October I don't think this deconfirms anything... but it is super strange, it does seem like K.Rool has zero chances of making it in now.

Hatchtag

Banned
We just got three characters in a row, don't be too greedy.

Which is why it's a tad odd. Why not save one for August.

But at this point, it won't be a newcomer, since they're not revealing it in some big stream or something. Maybe a vet if we're lucky (though it wouldn't be Snake since he's a third party and that's a bigger deal).

nerdbot

My theory is that they're putting out costumes of the realllllyyyy popular ballot votes no matter what because they can crank them out easy and capitalize on the excitement faster than creating a full character.

K. Rool and the Inklings aren't out of the run at all, but it's fun to lap up the tears.

Hatchtag

Banned
You already got two years of people cross-examining five seconds of a shadow before the eventual truth he was a boss was too obvious to ignore, a costume wouldn't add much more.

was that grab animation ever explained? haha. seriously though, has there been any update on that? It really looked like there was a grab going on, but there's nothing like that in the game.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Maybe this is just a test to see how many people would actually buy a K. Rool costume before they put the money in to making him a character.
Though that would be a really bad idea as that probably isn't the same target audience.

I wonder if it's really in case. I didn't expect to see K. Rool and Chrom for Mii Costumes but it's petty cool to see them as costumes.

I'm more hyped for Tournament mode and Youtube Feature, along with two stages! :D

Tansut

was that grab animation ever explained? haha. seriously though, has there been any update on that? It really looked like there was a grab going on, but there's nothing like that in the game.
Between that and the Spainkiller leak, my assumption has been that Ridley was a character they were working on but never got to a satisfactory state. Chorus Kid probably suffered the same fate.

JoeM86

It is a shame. I'd have loved to get a K. Rool amiibo

Maybe Sakurai is trolling us and K. Rool will be revealed as a playable character in the next Direct.

I think this, the Splatoon stuff and other news that came this week was meant to be in a Direct which was cancelled for obvious reasons :(

KingBroly

Banned
It is a shame. I'd have loved to get a K. Rool amiibo

I think this, the Splatoon stuff and other news that came this week was meant to be in a Direct which was cancelled for obvious reasons :(

Not before the Majestic Ridley amiibo you don't

;_;

Richie

Calling it now; King K. Rool is actually in the works, and much like in Roy's trailer, one of the first things he'll do in his trailer will be smacking his Mii parallel off the screen.

Neiteio

They really nailed the K. Rool costume. The classic gold belly armor, the bloodshot eye, the darker green skin and more leathery appearance. Dat DKC1 nostalgia. Maybe if enough people buy it, they'll release a Kaptain K. Rool Mii Fighter?

Calling it now; King K. Rool is actually in the works, and much like in Roy's trailer, one of the first things he'll do in his trailer will be smacking his Mii parallel off the screen.
Besides the trailer isn't that how Sakurai revealed Meta Knight? Showed off a Mii Fighter wearing his mask on the Halberd, then the next day showed off Meta Knight with one of the screenshots showing Meta Knight beating up the imposter?

I wonder what that grab animation smells like, haha

Neiteio

Besides the trailer isn't that how Sakurai revealed Meta Knight? Showed off a Mii Fighter wearing his mask on the Halberd, then the next day showed off Meta Knight with one of the screenshots showing Meta Knight beating up the imposter?
Hmm, you're right...

Top Bottom