• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

Is there any particular reason people are expecting a new character to be revealed soon? Has something been leaked, or hinted at? Or is this just complete speculation?

Neoxon

Is there any particular reason people are expecting a new character to be revealed soon? Has something been leaked, or hinted at? Or is this just complete speculation?
Just the amount of time that has passed since the last character DLC. No leaks or hints came out.

I don't think they'd make vets into costumes. Sakurai wouldn't even make them into alts because he knew downgrading someone's favorite vet would make them feel bad.

It's one thing to make potential characters into costumes, but it's an entire other thing to make actual characters people liked in previous Smash games into Mii Costumes.

With Chrom, KRool and now Lloyd, it really does seem like he's using Mii costumes as a way to get requested characters into the game, even if they can't be actual fighters. And actually when Miis were first revealed that was one of their selling points. Characters like Reggie, Iwata and Abe Lincoln were requested by people as fighters and they made Miis partly to "catch all" of these requests.

Also with the bear costume I almost want to believe it's a response to the bizarre popularity and requests for Freddy.

Boney

Banned
Digged through the thread and haven't found the Flying Man costume yet, anybody wanna repost?

But it sounds awesome, flying man is awesome

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Digged through the thread and haven't found the Flying Man costume yet, anybody wanna repost?

But it sounds awesome, flying man is awesome

CLJOhtbUMAEx59L.jpg

Cedric

Oh man, Lloyd? I have no interest in buying costumes, but I'm happy they thought of including Symphonia. They really went all out with this game.

Lunar15

You know what, I'd be just fine with an Isaac mii costume.

All I ever really wanted was just to get a stage and some music, but that's impossible. So yeah, sure, mii costume it up.

You know what, I'd be just fine with an Isaac mii costume.

All I ever really wanted was just to get a stage and some music, but that's impossible. So yeah, sure, mii costume it up.

Well... you know, there is the Weyard overworld theme from Golden Sun: Dark Dawn in Pyrosphere... :p

I'm sorry.

Metal B

I guess, everybody (myself included) can't see Nintendo reveal a character outside of a Nintendo Direct. Since there will be no tomorrow (unless it will be surprise), a reveal is very unlikely. But one very sad argument could be, that nobody at Nintendo wants to do a Direct so shortly after the death of Iwata, yet. So they just reveal them over Twitter and Facebook without much of an fanfare.

Neoxon

I guess, everybody (myself included) can't see Nintendo reveal a character outside of a Nintendo Direct. Since there will be no tomorrow (unless it will be surprise), a reveal is very unlikely. But one very sad argument could be, that nobody at Nintendo wants to do a Direct so shortly after the death of Iwata, yet. So they just reveal them over Twitter and Facebook without much of an fanfare.
This. More likely than not, we'll get our character either mid-to-late August or in October.

SaikyoBro

I have a feeling this could be right on the money. I don't know how far in advance the Direct presentations are prepared, but the whole idea of them is definitely pretty touchy right now. I know it's a tradition at this point but it's very possible to get info on the next character without it being revealed through a Direct.

Neoxon

I have a feeling this could be right on the money. I don't know how far in advance the Direct presentations are prepared, but the whole idea of them is definitely pretty touchy right now. I know it's a tradition at this point but it's very possible to get info on the next character without it being revealed through a Direct.
But as stated earlier, if we were gonna get a character, we would have learned about it from the Dr. Mario stage leak. As such, I'm in the camp that believes that we aren't gonna get a new character in this update. I'd love to be wrong, though.

SaikyoBro

But as stated earlier, if we were gonna get a character, we would have learned about it from the Dr. Mario stage leak. As such, I'm in the camp that believes that we aren't gonna get a new character in this update. I'd love to be wrong, though.

Yeah good point. Every time people hype themselves up for "maybe we're getting a surprise reveal" it doesn't end up panning out.

Regardless we're probably going to end up finding out who's up next after the patch gets datamined :x

Not necessarily. They appear to be press shots, based on how everything is framed and the poses and content of them (a full view of the stage, some "action" shots and a list of some of the music). The press shots could just not have a character on them, especially if it's unrelated or would look weird on the new stage (Wolf for example would be pointless to show on a Doctor Mario stage).

Neoxon

But what if it was faked, based on the fact that there's no reveal?
That Dr. Mario stage leak was too good to be faked. Any errors found are either nit-picky on the level of the ESRB Leak or errors that are actually in the game. Plus there's actually data of said stage in the game, though it was likely cut due to time constraints. The leak is most likely real.

Yeah good point. Every time people hype themselves up for "maybe we're getting a surprise reveal" it doesn't end up panning out.

Regardless we're probably going to end up finding out who's up next after the patch gets datamined :x
There was no data pertaining to unrevealed characters in the June update, so Nintendo & Bandai Namco likely learned their lesson from the Ryu-Roy data mining back in April.

Son Of D

It'll be nice if we get another costume from a Sega and Capcom IP alongside Lloyd. Not sure what we could get for Sega but something from MH or even DMC could work from a Capcom IP (plus I imagine Dante's coat will be very popular as a DLC. Avatar bias aside).

There was no data in the June update, so Nintendo & Bandai Namco likely learned their lesson from the Ryu-Roy data mining from back in April.

I have a feeling the April update was kind of rushed. Mewtwo was super buggy at release and there was left over data all over the place like they didn't have time for a proper clean up.

Neoxon

It'll be nice if we get another costume from a Sega and Capcom IP alongside Lloyd. Not sure what we could get for Sega but something from MH or even DMC could work from a Capcom IP (plus I imagine Dante's coat will be very popular as a DLC. Avatar bias aside).
We already got a bunch of alternate Mega Men as Mii Costumes, as well as Virtua Fighter costumes. Though I'd be down for either a DMC3 or DMC4 Dante Mii Costume.

Golnei

Viewtiful Joe or Arthur would be my preferred choices for Capcom - like the Protoman outfit, the Mii proportions would be fairly close to the original.

Neoxon

M. Bison Brawler costume pls.

Brawler has so few good costumes.
Can you cross-dress in this game?
If so then, Chun-Li or bust.
If I recall, Capcom only gave Nintendo the rights to use things related to Ryu & Ken as far as Street Fighter goes. As such, I'd be genuinely surprised if we get any Mii Costumes that aren't for Ryu & Ken. While granted, we could still get stuff for Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney, or Ghosts N' Goblins. I just doubt that we'll get anything for Chun-Li or M. Bison (Dictator), which is a shame.

While granted, we could still get stuff for Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry, Ace Attorney, or Ghosts N' Goblins.

So, my dream of Captain Falcon, Captain Rainbow, Viewiful Joe, and Wonder Red in one super sentai look-a-like fight can still happen with the latter 3 being Mii Outfits?

Neoxon

So, my dream of Captain Falcon, Captain Rainbow, Viewiful Joe, and Wonder Red can still happen with the latter 3 being Mii Outfits?
I'd say that Wonder Red still has a shot at being his own character, but Sakurai's recent comment about being less inclined to add characters from franchises with no future kinda throws a shade on Wonder Red's chances.

I'd say that Wonder Red still has a shot at being his own character, but Sakurai's recent comment about being less inclined to add characters from franchises with no future kinda throws a shade on Wonder Red's chances.
Wouldn't Wonder Red be from the poorest selling series Smash has ever had a rep for?

There's no character in Smash from a game that legitimately bombed.

By this point I'm only expecting at the very least, a Wonder Mask for all Miis, we'll be lucky if we also get Wonder Red's suit as a brawler, and very lucky for more after that.

Revven

But what if Sakurai and Kamiya happen to be really close friends now? HUH?

Exceptions for friends! (see: Snake)

Kewl0210

Neo Member
The update is coming out "in the AM on July 31st" in Japan. So it'll be coming in the next 12.5 hours sometime. Supposedly there are going to be more Mii costumes than just those, which we are only going to learn about when it actually goes live.

Whether we we get anything ELSE is yet to be determined. The Mario stage certainly LOOKED real but there's no word on that. Plus, maybe they're saving something else for the moment of the update.

I'm not a W101 fanboy, but Wonder Red would be so damn perfect for Smash.

Neoxon

Wouldn't Wonder Red be from the poorest selling series Smash has ever had a rep for?

There's no character in Smash from a game that legitimately bombed.
To be fair, W101 has a lot of representation for a game that bombed. Two songs & trophies for the entire core crew
except Luka
. I'd say that Wonder Red's popularity would help, but again, Sakurai's recent comment about franchises that likely have no future does kinda lower his chances by a lot.

I'm not a W101 fanboy, but Wonder Red would be so damn perfect for Smash.
Hell yeah he would be, but again, I'm afraid that what Sakurai has said pretty much means that Wonder Red has no chance to be playable.

Top Bottom