• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

R.D.Blax

They talked about it separate back in October so I'm doubting it. If it's silently added in, that's fine but they haven't mentioned it once October so I'm curious why they haven't talked about since.

That's correct, in this case I was using it to show that the 2 modes are different even with their similar names.

Didn't they talk about it in the Update direct too ? I remember even seeing some screen of the tournament mode too

greg400

Banned
Thats also an outdated list from 2 and a half years ago, K rool may still be a top request but who knows how the recent tropical freeze may have influenced peoples desire for him over there.

The real question we should ask is are these dlc mii fighter costumes throwing the fans a bone for characters that they want to see but Sakurai and his team aren't going to make playable? Or are the mii costumes being done seperately from upcoming dlc characters and its just a coicidence they did a k rool mii fighter costume while they played a k rool dlc fighter.
I mean if you want to provide relevant information that goes against what those polls are saying then be my guest, everything I've seen points to K Rool being at the top of lists in Japan outside of returning characters from Melee/Brawl.

Ryu isn't from the ballot. The ballot ends in October.

He plays with them but doesn't outright string them along. The same happened with Ridley where he outright gave away what he would be in Smash from the get go despite what the Ridley fans will argue.

Also technically this costume is fan service DLC.
They could very easily be building characters retroactively before the ballot ends.

Ridley is literally already programmed into the game as a background object/boss on a new stage, a lot different from a Mii costume.

In order to gather the character data, I looked on a wide variety of websites and manually counted references to characters. It’s not totally inclusive; as I’m sure I missed a lot of opinions. I collected over 430 “votes”, and 131 unique characters. In instances where the comment stated that they wanted a group of characters back (such as all the cut veterans), I added +1 to every character that it applied to. Please note, that I looked for posts/ sites/ tweets that were posted before the Rayman “leak”. I didn’t count any references to Mewtwo.

At best you can use that poll as a small anecdotal reference of what a fraction of the smash community wants, but the idea that someone who posted a list gets every one of his characters counted while someone who just posted their 1 most popular character doesn't do much of anything. If the hardcore smash community had a big influence characters like Ridley and K rool would be playable already as opposes to a boss and a dlc mii fighter costume.

This is good news, actually. These costumes were likely created before the ballot started, which means they were paying attention to the "irrelevant" character before taking the ballot results into account. He even has the gold belly, which hasn't been seen since Donkey Kong 64!

...right? :(

Aww, buddy...

KHlover

Banned
The Wii U version of Smash 4 really needs some more good stages. So many bad/gimmick stages shipped with the game.

Hopefully we get a decent amount of DLC stages from Melee.

lol
There's only 2 non-gimmick stages from Melee left: Fountain of Dreams and Yoshi's Story.

I mean if you want to provide relevant information that goes against what those polls are saying then be my guest, everything I've seen points to K Rool being at the top of lists in Japan outside of returning characters from Melee/Brawl

Well seeing as we're using fundamentally flawed sources, here's a popularity poll for smash characters in Famitsu a while ago:
Av5YocRCQAAzxRm.jpg

Note the lack of K Rool. But hey, Hatsune Miku confirmed! :p

Merc_

lmao there is a whole lot of denial going on in this thread.

The only character to have a full body Mii fighter costume and be on the roster is Link. Everyone else is of a non playable character. There is no real reason to believe that it's going to suddenly change. Be prepared y'all.

greg400

Banned
Well seeing as we're using fundamentally flawed sources, here's a popularity poll for smash characters in Famitsu about a year ago:

Note the lack of K Rool. But hey, Hatsune Miku confirmed! :p
Lol what even is this shit? Half the characters on that list are already in the game.

At best you can use that poll as a small anecdotal reference of what a fraction of the smash community wants, but the idea that someone who posted a list gets every one of his characters counted while someone who just posted their 1 most popular character doesn't do much of anything. If the hardcore smash community had a big influence characters like Ridley and K rool would be playable already as opposes to a boss and a dlc mii fighter costume.
Among.

Also relying on 2ch is bad.
Then post your own polls that say otherwise, you can't cry foul of information being posted then not provide anything yourself beyond (ironically) your own anecdotal evidence about how Tropical Freeze may have changed their opinion for whatever reason.

There's really 4 characters at this point that I can see even winning this ballot that aren't returning from Melee/Brawl:
K. Rool
Inkling
Dixie
Wonder-Red

Dixie may have ultimately supplanted K. Rool but completely ruling out his possibility because of a Mii costume when the Inkling still has a very high chance is a bit disingenuous.

Boney

Banned
I like to believe all the Krool fans are just playing an elaborate troll on gonzo (who is also a troll) because nobody in their right minds could like that abomination

Lol what even is this shit? Half the characters on that list are already in the game.

Then post your own polls that say otherwise, you can't cry foul of information being posted then not provide anything yourself beyond (ironically) your own anecdotal evidence about how Tropical Freeze may have changed their opinion for whatever reason.

There's really 4 characters at this point that I can see even winning this ballot that aren't returning from Melee/Brawl:
K. Rool
Inkling
Dixie
Wonder-Red

Dixie may have ultimately supplanted K. Rool but completely ruling out his possibility because of a Mii costume when the Inkling still has a very high chance is a bit disingenuous.

Like I said, it's a popularity poll as in who they want in smash games period, not for DLC specifically, as such existing characters are valid (though surprisingly most of them don't make it on there outside of the few at the very top :p)

I trust it more than I trust your poll, which is to say not very much at all. The only numbers I'll trust are those from Nintendo because those are the only ones that matter. The internet has a bad habit of being an echo-chamber for those who shout loudest rather than being an accurate mirror of popular views :p

KHlover

Banned
I like to believe all the Krool fans are just playing an elaborate troll on gonzo (who is also a troll) because nobody in their right minds could like that abomination

Yeah K Rool is like the poster boy of a face EVERYTHING only a mother could love.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Google: "K Rool" Smash Bros - About 237,000 result
Google: Bag Smash Bros - About 2,410,000 results

Sorry, looks like the Bag from the eShop is going to be the next fighter. It's true, the Internet has spoken.

Sorry, looks like the Bag from the eShop is going to be the next fighter. It's true, the Internet has spoken.
Haha, I googled "Ashley smash bros" and got 556,000. That's kind of crazy considering there's supposed to be a dedicated drive by peeps to get K Rool in :eek: You'd think because of that they'd have spammed his name over the internet more

Merc_

Folks unless you're part of Sakurai's team you have absolutely no idea who's winning the ballot. I always knew that this would be the result of trying to use internet posts as a way to try and gauge who's winning.

You should understand what goes into making a good poll before you post those as definitive proof. Your post proves that the core smash community wants k rool in smash, but it doesn't prove what the massive smash fanbase wants as the majority of smash fans aren't posting online about the game. To do a good accurate poll of what people want to see from smash you need a good random sampling of all parts of the smash community. Heck one of the links above wasn't even a poll, it was some guy reading message board posts and compiling them. The reddit dlc poll and the famitsu picture are more accurate as a poll but its only a good poll of what the smash reddit/famitsu readers wants to see. Smash wiiu/3ds has sold 4 million copies world wide as of April 2015 and you want to argue a poll of 400 people accurately reflects that? Polls can be effective if done right, I've not seen anything that indicates any of the polls posted above are effective.

K. Rool
Inkling
Dixie
Wonder-Red

The issue is that these polls will inherently have response bias, and they're never going to be representative of the smash community as a whole, because most of them aren't replying to polls like this. People who feel super strongly about a character are more likely to vote, so it's easy for small but vocal groups to be over represented in these things

Sponge

Banned
What's weird to me is that the K. Rool costume is based off the old Rare design that was replaced years ago. Kinda odd that that's what we got as a costume.

So does this mean no direct? ):

If the general public is posting in this ballot then honestly the results probably skewer way more to minecraft man or waluigi or something else equally soul-crushing

fhqwhgads

Shrek Smash Bros - 318,000 results
maxresdefault.jpg

greg400

Banned
Like I said, it's a popularity poll as in who they want in smash games period, not for DLC specifically, as such existing characters are valid (though surprisingly most of them don't make it on there outside of the few at the very top :p)

I trust it more than I trust your poll, which is to say not very much at all. The only numbers I'll trust are those from Nintendo because those are the only ones that matter. The internet has a bad habit of being an echo-chamber for those who shout loudest rather than being an accurate mirror of popular views :p
Well if you actually take the characters on the poll that aren't already in the game and removing the dumb anime shit that will never get in, that leaves Chrom (already in a final smash), Waluigi (another Mario rep) and Viridi (possibility).

t8Zkr1P.gif

Clearly that's not what the pollsters I posted did, but hey lets shitpost instead of posting any of our own evidence that says otherwise.

Google: Sir Arthur Smash Bros - About 842,000 results

Get hyped
200px-UltimateArthur1.jpg

greg400

Banned
The issue is that these polls will inherently have response bias, and they're never going to be representative of the smash community as a whole, because most of them aren't replying to polls like this. People who feel super strongly about a character are more likely to vote, so it's easy for small but vocal groups to be over represented in these things

The point still stands that the list of actual viable characters that they would have a reason the put in isn't very large. I really don't even give a shit if K Rool gets in, he's not my favorite character by any stretch of the imagination. But saying that the Mii Fighter costume is that reason is ridiculous.

If the general public is posting in this ballot then honestly the results probably skewer way more to minecraft man or waluigi or something else equally soul-crushing

If Nintendo were to ever see minecraft on wiiu/3ds/nx I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to get the minecraft guy in Smash. That would easily be the best cross promotion 3rd party character they could get right now. Imagine a day 1 nx with a smash 4 up port with minecraft guy on the cover and unlocked from the start? Would sell gangbusters

The point still stands that the list of actual viable characters that they would have a reason the put in isn't very large. I really don't even give a shit if K Rool gets in, he's not my favorite character by any stretch of the imagination. But saying that the Mii Fighter costume is that reason is ridiculous.

Who we think is viable for smash, who we want to see in smash, and who we expect to see in smash are all very different things. Its what makes collecting internet posts and using them as a barometer so difficult. Even if we just polled gaf, smash boards, and reddit with those 3 questions we'd get wildly different results, double that if we allow users to vote for multiple characters or just one.

I think there are plenty of viable characters personally.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Hahahahaha I hope this happens with all the characters you guys want especially splatoon kids lolol

They already have Mii costumes.

And since they are perfect material for a newcomer in the next Smash (they need some decent names for that) it's pretty likely that's all we'll get for them in this Smash game.

Well if you actually take the characters on the poll that aren't already in the game and removing the dumb anime shit that will never get in, that leaves Chrom (already in a final smash), Waluigi (another Mario rep) and Viridi (possibility).

Clearly that's not what the pollsters I posted did, but hey lets shitpost instead of posting any of our own evidence that says otherwise.

Actually, all the 'dumb' characters on that poll are valid as they've been in games on a nintendo console. If I was going to remove 'dumb' characters from a vote I'd remove K Rool so let's not try skewing things with subjective filters huh? :p

The attempts at humour might come across as 'shitposting' to you but what they're saying is that the poll isn't really that many steps above googling if he's just counting posts. Bass and I have already also pointed out the inherent flaws to an actual poll as well :/

foltzie1

Bag would be high because of the punching bag in the game. Lots of tutorials on how to win the target games.

Then start listing them, because the characters left at this point are second fiddle, third party or from irrelevant franchises.

We all know Smash bros will never include any characters who aren't super icons like Mario. I mean, can you imagine if someone like Shulk got in? /s

Honestly, I think other than third party characters (and even that's not necessarily ruled out if they get enough support and the company is willing), anyone is fair game as long as Sakurai feels he could make them fun and unique. What you like or don't like is irrelevant. I mean, I could just as easily argue K Rool is irrelevant nowadays as well

Then start listing them, because the characters left at this point are second fiddle, third party or from irrelevant franchises.
So they're like K Rool then? Except he's not even on the second fiddle because he got booted out of his own franchise in favour of a viking walrus :p

Top Bottom