• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen - Fans have dropped $77m on this guys buggy, half-built game [WIRED]

friday

Hasn't RSI always been pretty upfront that the release of the game was always going to be a long ways away and that they would never hold themselves to a ridged release date? It's pretty much been a mid to late 2016 release since they really got rolling with this.

I can understand the apprehension that people have with the amount that RSI have received for the game. You almost wonder that at a certain point it should be treated like a publicly traded company with the money they have raised. Let us peak at the financials or something, make sure money is headed to the right areas.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Game will be one of the most monumental failures we've ever seen. Calling it now.

I'm a backer by the way, I have super high hopes but I just don't see it ending well.

Whoa, easy there. The opinion I was trying to convey was that I think they should focus on the actual core game rather than spreading it out in those modules you speak of. I didn't say they were dropping any part of the game and moving on to other parts of the project. Like i said in my original post "when I say drop what they're doing, I mean that their efforts are spreading to a bunch of places. "

For example, recently they were showing off new vehicles to get around the hub areas, which is really cool to have but, in my opinion, instead of developing that they should get the core game up and running. The best example is when I sit in the cockpit of my ship and try to access the menus from the cockpit, they are clunky and clipping through the hull of my ship. That shouldn't happen.

I'm not saying what they have done isn't enough, nor am I saying that what isn't working won't be fixed. I'm just saying that the focus should get the core game to where they want and then put more effort into the other modules.

The things like FPS or transit system are made by different teams therefore complaining about them is pointless because the development runs in parallel so just because you see some content available doesn't mean that aspects have been ignored. Polish and optimization is the last thing to come after getting core functionality up and running so complaining about clipping menu's is also a bit silly, especially when the menus are place holders and they have stated so numerous times. This is exactly what I am talking about. They have stated what they are doing, who is doing what, and yet you still say something like "core" game. Which is "what" by the way? What aspect, devoid of multi crew, localized gravity and FPS modules is considered main?

Let me clue you in. Almost all of the modules being worked (except for S42) on make up Star Citizen. So The FPS mechanics, planet side, job/trade/economy systems, damage and spaces systems all make up elements to complete the persistent universe. AC allows us to see specific combat portions, S42 will rely on most of the systems used in PU (most likely outside of trade/economy) so they are interconnected and they are being worked on in parallel. Your complaints make no sense.

Wait, 8 studios across the world are working on this, working on vastly different game systems that will eventually be cobbled together? And that gives you *more* confidence?

Because I'll just say, if I found out that, say, EA was contracting out 8 different studios to work on TOR2 or whatever I would say "welp this is gonna be a disaster"

Wow, have you ever really looked at the credits of major AAA releases in the past 10 years or so?

Anyways, ever since January of 2013, they talked about the development of the game in modules and because of that specific design focus there is no "cobbling" together, it is planned and so far the product that is playable does does in fact inspire confidence that they are competent in what they are doing.

looked at from an investor standpoint, Kickstarter is a horrible deal. Whereas from a developer standpoint, it's a dream come true! Seems pretty lopsided.

But, gamers get the satisfaction of funding a game that might not normally be able to get conventional investment money, hence why many of the Kickstarter projects bring in the money they do.

This. Normally you get $60 from a single person. With kickstarter, if you can convince rich gamers to buy in, you can get thousands from one person. It would be interesting if Kickstarter introduced investor tiers where if you put enough in to get the project going, you would actually get a cut in profits. I think lots more money would pour in if they tried that.

As is, they got 77+ million in the bank and haven't sold a single copy technically. I remember how many were upset that Oculus was sold for huge money to Facebook. If you could jump in at "investor tier" you would get a prototype and a cut. Thats pretty desirable.

This. Normally you get $60 from a single person. With kickstarter, if you can convince rich gamers to buy in, you can get thousands from one person. It would be interesting if Kickstarter introduced investor tiers where if you put enough in to get the project going, you would actually get a cut in profits. I think lots more money would pour in if they tried that.

As is, they got 77+ million in the bank and haven't sold a single copy technically. I remember how many were upset that Oculus was sold for huge money to Facebook. If you could jump in at "investor tier" you would get a prototype and a cut. Thats pretty desirable.

Actually if you pledged for a package instead of a stand alone then you most likely did purchase a copy of Star Citizen and Squadron 42. Even the most Basic package includes those and the Arena Commander Access.

KKRT00

Wait, 8 studios across the world are working on this, working on vastly different game systems that will eventually be cobbled together? And that gives you *more* confidence?

Because I'll just say, if I found out that, say, EA was contracting out 8 different studios to work on TOR2 or whatever I would say "welp this is gonna be a disaster"

If You actually put some time to check what individual studios are doing, You would understand that all of it make sense.

Actually if you pledged for a package instead of a stand alone then you most likely did purchase a copy of Star Citizen and Squadron 42. Even the most Basic package includes those and the Arena Commander Access.

I know you get copies, but technically it's a kickstarter pledge. When they sell this on store shelves those are the sales numbers. It's a minor technicality. All I'm saying is that a lot more money is coming in to SC when you can buy a copy on Steam or Gamestop. Lots of people just want to play with the finished project and don't want to risk getting burned by kickstarter.

I know you get copies, but technically it's a kickstarter pledge. When they sell this on store shelves those are the sales numbers. It's a minor technicality. All I'm saying is that a lot more money is coming in to SC when you can buy a copy on Steam or Gamestop. Lots of people just want to play with the finished project and don't want to risk getting burned by kickstarter.

Oh of course. The finished product will be polished and it launches with over 800k active members, will most likely garner even more attention. A cut would be nice but i think that should only be reserved for those individuals that spend several thousand on the game. It wouldn't make financial sense for a $40 backer to get a cut as well.

Kyuur

Kickstarter exists for the exact purpose of avoiding investors.

Zalusithix

Kickstarter exists for the exact purpose of avoiding investors.

Well, more precisely it exists to avoid the legal quagmire associated with being an actual investor. There's very strict rules in place when it comes to actual investment. There's a reason why you don't see it as being an option. I don't think people realize this.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
People also seem to have this idea that all the money must go into the game. Like somehow they'll funnel $70m into the game or something.

Let the guys make some bank.

People also seem to have this idea that all the money must go into the game. Like somehow they'll funnel $70m into the game or something.

Let the guys make some bank.

Chris roberts has said all the money given now and at all points so far has only gone to paying the dev's salaries for game dev. The money is purely for the game, not for pocketting or investment building profiteering.

And believe me, a game of this size could easily used up $77 million.

GoaThief

Star Citizen is my only crowd funded regret thus far.

It has moved far away from the initial scope and target. RSI bombarded my email inbox with marketing multiple times a week for a year before I sent them straight to the spam folder. I also backed Elite Dangerous around a similar time and Braben and Co have delivered a solid functioning full game, with more to come down the line. I only wish RSI could have taken the same and honest route. They still could have continued to add features after the promised game was out and fully realised but have obviously decided against it due to financial reward.

I found it telling that when the journalist was visiting RSI instead of game development discussion in the internal meeting, it was about video marketing and directing. I don't hold much hope for this game.

Kabouter

It has moved far away from the initial scope and target. RSI bombarded my email inbox with marketing multiple times a week for a year before I sent them straight to the spam folder. I also backed Elite Dangerous around a similar time and Braben and Co have delivered a solid functioning full game, with more to come down the line. I only wish RSI could have taken the same and honest route. They still could have continued to add features after the promised game was out and fully realised but have obviously decided against it due to financial reward.

I found it telling that when the journalist was visiting RSI instead of game development discussion in the internal meeting, it was about video marketing and directing. I don't hold much hope for this game.

If you backed it early and your starter ship has lifetime insurance to start with, you could probably sell it for more than you paid right now. There's a subreddit just for ship trades.

Scotch

Why the shit do some websites like Wired use only 20% of your screen's real estate space.

That article uses like 20% of my screen. I'm not browsing on a fucking mobile phone.

Their management is probably so in love with their iPads, they think it's all anyone ever uses now.

Zalusithix

Or you could have, you know, hit the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email?

That said, like Kabouter mentioned, just sell out if you have LTI. If you don't have LTI, then you likely backed late enough that the writing was already on the wall on where the game was going.

Why the shit do some websites like Wired use only 20% of your screen's real estate space.

That article uses like 20% of my screen. I'm not browsing on a fucking mobile phone.

Line width. There is an ideal line width (horizontal space a line of type takes up before breaking into the next line) that makes content easy to read. If every website took up the max amount of horizontal space on your screen it would be irritating and harder to read. Aside from that, the white space on either side of the content provides a natural resting point for your eyes. The final point would be so that the website can scale easier when swapped from phone to tablet to PC. Simply resize your window and you can see that the website scales rather effectively.

Personally, I think they could afford to increase it a little. Wired's line width is probably too small for my taste (could probably be bumped up by 15 characters per line), but there is a reason for it.

GoaThief

No, it didnt.
Yes, it did.

If you backed it early and your starter ship has lifetime insurance to start with, you could probably sell it for more than you paid right now. There's a subreddit just for ship trades.
Interesting as I did back early, before RSI had their website accepting donations IIRC.

Thanks for this tip, I may do so. Would prices for insurance increase with rarity? Might be wise to hold out if so.

Or you could have, you know, hit the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email?
I am (or was) interested in how the game was developing, every other backed project did not abuse this system for marketing purposes. I held on to hope but as we can all see things have not really changed. Let's not forget the Star Citizen final build was due near the end of last year and as a rough guesstimate I'd wager it's years off being finished, if ever. The initial pitch was not to receive the game in drips and drabs but a complete product, but the rapid expansion seems to have put paid to this.

I see parallels with DayZ, that train came and went. Is it even final yet? I waited a long time for it to come out of early access but last time I checked it was definitely in that phase. I cannot imagine when (or if) it goes gold the sales will pick up much and that is not a model I have an interest in nor wish to support. Luckily Elite and No Man's Sky can scratch my space itch for some time to come, I don't believe I've been unreasonable in my dislike of the manner Star Citizen has developed.

If anyone who backed it at the beginning wants to sell their alpha package because they regret it, PM me.

Not even being facetious.

Kabouter

Yes, it did.

Interesting as I did back early, before RSI had their website accepting donations IIRC.

Thanks for this tip, I may do so. Would prices for insurance increase with rarity? Might be wise to hold out if so.
Well, I think you're unlikely to get much higher prices than exist now. I'd just sell now tbh.

Yes, it did.

How has it? There isn't anything big they've added that wasn't part of the initial plan. Other than expanding on a few things (E.g. more ships), nothing has really changed. The things they're working on are things that were going to be in the game from the start, the initial target was always a first-person living persistent universe, with all the FPS, social, planetside etc stuff included.

CTLance

Bingo. The premiums paid for LTI packages are absolutely insane. I really don't get it.
It's just something limited, and thus valuable. Demand > Supply and all that gunk. People are stupid.

I think some people just don't get the whole pledge thing. Yes, you get ships as a thank you, but so what. Crappy tiny starter ship, crappy small-time missions, blending in with the crappy unskilled plebs, living the dream. I mean, it's a sandbox game, from rags to riches is basically the core game design. Paying for not having to play the game is such a strange notion...

Most of the time my extra ships will stay put in the Hangar. I will only use them once I could afford them anyway. At least that's the plan so far. Maybe for a pleasure cruise or something. Or Operation pitchfork et al.

inky

Rather, once people find out that Roberts wasn't lying about insurance being a trivial aspect of the game, the demand for LTI will plummet.

Insurance really shouldn't be anything more than what housing is in popular MMOs: A small, monthly/yearly fee that acts as yet another currency sink but by itself is mostly inconsequential to your personal economy. Heck, I'd expect in-game stores to sell ships with all sorts of insurance packages included.

Insurance really shouldn't be anything more than what housing is in popular MMOs: A small, monthly/yearly fee that acts as yet another currency sink but by itself is mostly inconsequential to your personal economy. Heck, I'd expect in-game stores to sell ships with all sorts of insurance packages included.

That's exactly what it is.

It's just something limited, and thus valuable. Demand > Supply and all that gunk. People are stupid.

I think some people just don't get the whole pledge thing. Yes, you get ships as a thank you, but so what. Crappy tiny starter ship, crappy small-time missions, blending in with the crappy unskilled plebs, living the dream. I mean, it's a sandbox game, from rags to riches is basically the core game design. Paying for not having to play the game is such a strange notion...

Most of the time my extra ships will stay put in the Hangar. I will only use them once I could afford them anyway. At least that's the plan so far. Maybe for a pleasure cruise or something. Or Operation pitchfork et al.

Because it's gotten to the point where many people aren't really pledging to help with development, but rather to get some sort of advantage when the game gets released. Even with stuff like LTI and (hopefully) grinding will be trivial when it's released. Of course, CIG has been coy with how obtainable ships are in-game which isn't helping the frenzy.

Because it's gotten to the point where many people aren't really pledging to help with development, but rather to get some sort of advantage when the game gets released.

?

There is no advantage in a real sense if you follow the game's design. To pilot large ships you need to be skilled and have a crew. Likewise... there is a PVP slider.

Also you are forgetting that they have about 100 NEW people buying the game every single day: After they do video showings this is in the thousands. It isn't just people pledging new ships.
Also they haven't been coy with ingame time to get ships. Roberts said a constellation would take about 4 weeks of casual play if I remember correctly.

CGwizz

looks like its easy money, say you go balls deep in the graphics department, say you a master race pro dev , say console suck, trow a few bones and keep cashing in those master race dolars !!!

inkls

looks like its easy money, say you go balls deep in the graphics department, say you a master race pro dev , say console suck, trow a few bones and keep cashing in those master race dolars !!!

son, your driver's license is temporary right now. Wait till you're a member before doing drive-by shitposting.

Muzicfreq

Banned

Becareful what you say around these parts while you're a Junior, Also being a normal member can be dangerous posting things like this as well

Is it?

Not that I'm disagreeing but I've witnessed it bandied about a lot.

On topic a bit, I did check and I definitely have LTI.

There was a thread that was closed a couple of months ago about it, it was said a few thousand times in there of course, since the discussion was about it, but there were also bans there of the people using it instead of mentioning it. I took the closing of the thread as mod's confirmation that the term was banned.

epmode

This thread is such a shitshow.

I still think the game looks neat and it might even turn out well!

CGwizz

Dont know what i did so wrong to get banned, they made this for the graphic pc crowd, everything i see about this " game " is to show how pretty it is , show some ships , show some weapons destroying some stuff, show dudes getting inside the ship but gameplay ? nothing they showed looked good.

But if you enjoy go on.

edit :eek:h i see now, term master race is banned here, well it was good to post here sometime, guess i will be reading from now on :-D

Muzicfreq

Banned
Dont know what i did so wrong to get banned, they made this for the graphic pc crowd, everything i see about this " game " is to show how pretty it is , show some ships , show some weapons destroying some stuff, show dudes getting inside the ship but gameplay ? nothing they showed looked good.

But if you enjoy go on.
There are other ways to word how you see things that won't get taken poorly.
Or you can take the alternative and not say anything at all.

CGwizz

There are other ways to word how you see things that won't get taken poorly.
Or you can take the alternative and not say anything at all.

i see posts way worse than mine( didnt see nothing wrong in mine but ok ) , people insulting others etc, people trash talking other when they make a thread that have opinions diferent than theirs and none banned but ok.

i see posts way worse than mine( didnt see nothing wrong in mine but ok ) , people insulting others etc, people trash talking other when they make a thread that have opinions diferent than theirs and none banned but ok.

It depends on the topic, gaming side is less strict and besides that I think you are safe since you didn't just drop that and leave to never look back.

I'm glad you've never put a cent in too. You seem to be the type that would think the devs should bend over backwards for you because did throw a penny their way.

Kickstarters exist to fund things that otherwise wouldn't see the light of day. If everybody did things "the classic way" then there would be no Star Citizen. There would be no Pillars of Eternity. There would be no Wasteland 2. There would be no Broken Age. Divinity: Original Sin would be a fraction of what it is now. Good luck deciding if a product that never ends up existing is worth your time and money.

Anyhow, enjoy your steady stream of conservative and derivative console games that are equally broken at launch and slow to update...

Sounds like you got an agenda mate? I've never expected anything out of any devloper except to release a game when it is compelte with the least amount of problems possible.

I couldn't care less about those games you've listed, infact it would not bother me one bit had they never been released at all. If a product doesn't exist then there is no need for me to even care so why would I be deciding if it is worth my time and money? I'll enjoy my console games like I have done for years and you can keep enjoying gambling on games that may or may not see the light of day. Atleast from my perspective I know what i'm getting at the end of the day and will never have wasted any money which sounds like the smarter option. I'm not here to prop up the gaming industry, I just wanna play games, the industry will survive with or without kickstarter as it has done so for years. The best rated games are still the ones being made on console without kickstarter so it sounds like i'm in good hands lol.

Sounds like you got an agenda mate? I've never expected anything out of any devloper except to release a game when it is compelte with the least amount of problems possible.

I couldn't care less about those games you've listed, infact it would not bother me one bit had they never been released at all. If a product doesn't exist then there is no need for me to even care so why would I be deciding if it is worth my time and money? I'll enjoy my console games like I have done for years and you can keep enjoying gambling on games that may or may not see the light of day. Atleast from my perspective I know what i'm getting at the end of the day and will never have wasted any money which sounds like the smarter option. I'm not here to prop up the gaming industry, I just wanna play games, the industry will survive with or without kickstarter as it has done so for years. The best rated games are still the ones being made on console without kickstarter so it sounds like i'm in good hands lol.
uh...

And he's the one with an agenda?

MUnited83

For you.

This post is hilarious .

Muzicfreq

Banned

GJelbx9.gif

That's enough of this thread for me.

bathsalts

Damn, the console warriors aren't even bothering to disguise themselves in this thread anymore, either that or Tetsuo himself has been shamed by this subtlety crafted blurred line of sarcasm.

The level of ignorance and desire to remain ignorant in this thread is getting old.

People know where to find the information that's relevant, it's just being ignored.

Maybe it's time to close it?

Top Bottom