• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Star Trek' star Anton Yelchin has died (details forthcoming, automobile accident)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toothless

Oh my gosh. This is insane. I've always liked his Chekov and enjoyed his presence in other stuff. He had a lot of potential, and it's a real loss to Hollywood that he's gone. RIP :(

strafer

Really liked him in Alpha Dog

Anton_Yelchin_in_Alpha_Dog_Wallpaper_3_800.jpg

Busty

Banned
What in the hell

So, he starts the car. The car is in neutral. He gets out of the car, goes around to the back of it, the car hits him and pins him between it and the mailbox?

I'm trying to make sense of how this guy gets killed by his own car in his own driveway with nobody else around.

Like, I can see him starting the car, letting it warm up (maybe?) walking down to get his mail and then... the car just slips out of park and picks up speed in reverse going down the incline until it hits him?

This is fucking bizarre. And sad as hell.

There are so many bizarre variables with a situation like this, it could have been accident, it could have been the result of drink or drugs, it might even have been linked to depression.

I have no idea about the man himself beyond his work so I can't comment on his personal state of mind etc, etc.

A British singer (using the term loosely) called Brian Harvey is infamous for somehow managing to 'run himself over with his own car', and live it has to be said, so such things do happen.

duckroll

It doesn't seem very appropriate to speculate about whether he might have been high, or depressed, or whatever at this point. Dude got killed by his own car in his driveway. That's fucking sad as it is. :/

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sounds like it was an accident. Forget just putting it in park, I put the parking brake on any time I get out of my car.

Outlived by Walter Koenig too, the actor who originally played Chekov back in the 60s.

qX7aRxF.jpg

So surreal.

Glad most of them are alive, but man, the new crew should not be dying before the old crew.

No way. He was such a fun character in Star Trek. Unreal.

Sounds like he got out of his car to open the gate? Such a preventable accident if so.

RangerX

Banned
Fuck its just been confirmed on the mainstream news here. Such a tragedy. He was great in Trek and Fright Night. RIP.

Dosia

I dont understand how this happened? If the car was in neutral, wouldn't it begin rolling backwards as soon as he let off the brakes? How would he get out and walk behind it and then the car would begin to start rolling?

What in the hell

So, he starts the car. The car is in neutral. He gets out of the car, goes around to the back of it, the car hits him and pins him between it and the mailbox?

I'm trying to make sense of how this guy gets killed by his own car in his own driveway with nobody else around.

Like, I can see him starting the car, letting it warm up (maybe?) walking down to get his mail and then... the car just slips out of park and picks up speed in reverse going down the incline until it hits him?

Probably didn't realize he put it in neutral and it took a while for the car to gain momentum to really start rolling. Besides not at all expecting your car to back up on you, it was probably also pretty quiet in neutral.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gosh, that's a horrific story. Didn't really know him outside of Star Trek... he seemed really lovely in it :( R.I.P.

Busty

Banned
It doesn't seem very appropriate to speculate about whether he might have been high, or depressed, or whatever at this point. Dude got killed by his own car in his driveway. That's fucking sad as it is. :/

Agreed. I was just trying to say that we can't jump to any conclusions given how many factors could be at work here.

It's just when the cause of death for someone so young is as weird as this you can't help feel the hamster wheels in your head turn.

It is terribly, terribly sad though. I had no idea he was under thirty.

Probably didn't realize he put it in neutral and it took a while for the car to gain momentum to really start rolling. Besides not at all expecting your car to back up on you, it was probably also pretty quiet in neutral.

Yeah, and depending on the model of car, neutral could be almost 100% silent. it's just...it's awful, is all.

I really liked him in Charlie Bartlett, so I recognized the name immediately.

This is some Final Destination level shit...Pinned by your own car?

RIP.

Fury451

Banned
Oh my god, this is terrible. I always enjoyed his work. What a bizarre, sad situation.

That's awful, but it doesn't sound like an accident. What a weird thing.

You can forget even the most basic things when you're tired. I got out of my car while it was in neutral once, just exhausted and wasn't thinking.

Man, RIP

Very similar thing almost killed my wife when she was opening the gate of her family's place and the parking brake failed while the car was on an incline.

RedAssedApe

Banned
latimes article says

Anton Yelchin, a charismatic and rising actor best known for playing Chekov in the new "Star Trek" films, has died at the age of 27. He was killed in a fatal traffic crash early Sunday morning, his publicist, Jennifer Allen confirmed.

huh...

louiedog

What in the hell

I used to work with a guy whose brother ran himself over with a car. I don't recall exactly what he was doing at the time, but he was kneeling just outside the driver side door either looking for something under the seat, trying to adjust something, etc. when he bumped it into neutral. The car knocked him onto his back and then rolled over his chest . He survived with minor injuries. Weird accidents like that happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom