• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Star Trek' star Anton Yelchin has died (details forthcoming, automobile accident)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brakke

Banned
Wow what a horrible way to go. RIP, I liked that dude.

I know it's because the headline is copied directly but can we take away the caps lock? Feels sensationalist.

Agreed. I was just trying to say that we can't jump to any conclusions given how many factors could be at work here.

It's just when the cause of death for someone so young is as weird as this you can't help feel the hamster wheels in your head turn.

It is terribly, terribly sad though. I had no idea he was under thirty.

You can stop "the hamster wheel". All the rest of us did.

FyreWulff

Probably didn't realize he put it in neutral and it took a while for the car to gain momentum to really start rolling. Besides not at all expecting your car to back up on you, it was probably also pretty quiet in neutral.

yep.

one time i was messing around in the middle of the night when nobody was on the road, and i tried to see how long the Caravan could pull itself up the hill while in Drive. it stopped after a bit, then remained still for about ~10 seconds, then started rolling backwards fast. Cars are so damn heavy that they accelerate extremely fast if left to roll. And can be deceptive about if the engine can hold them on the hill.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yelchin's friends became alarmed because he was supposed to meet them hours earlier for a rehearsal. They went to his San Fernando Valley home at around 1 AM and found him pinned between his car and a brick mailbox, which was attached to a security gate.
Wow. :-(

m0dus

Banned
A wonderful actor and by all accounts a good person. Really terrible news.

Also, as an aside, edited the thread title. I know TMZ is the source but all caps is needlessly sensationalist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom