• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 Sony Ad Leak

Spman2099

How was the gameplay in the first one? I guess I'll keep my eye on this
until I find out that Jango isn't playable

Very random, loose, and luck based. It was more about grinding to get superior abilities and weapons then it was about playing thoughtfully or skillfully. It is a good entry point for the genre, as it does everything possible to undermine precision, so the playing field is generally pretty even, but other than that it is one of the least enjoyable multiplayer experiences I have ever encountered.

I guess the most generous way of describing it would be "good dumb fun", but you need to place the emphasis on dumb.

They'd be braindead to turn this into a reskined Battlefield. Brand uniqueness is necessary. Especially with 2 more Battlefields, presumably, releasing in the near future.

WillyFive

They'd be braindead to turn this into a reskined Battlefield. Brand uniqueness is necessary. Especially with 2 more Battlefields, presumably, releasing in the near future.

The entire premise of the original Battlefront games were that they were Battlefield with Star Wars reskins. That was the entire selling point.

The reason DICE got the contract is presumably because they were the guys behind Battlefield too. No one expected the team behind Battlefield getting the contract for a Battlefield clone not giving us Battlefield with Star Wars; because at the very least that would satisfy the fans of the Battlefront games.

Par Score

As long as it plays more like battefield1 and less like battlefront1, ill be ok. If its like Battlefront1, it will get a big fat pass from me.

Im ok with the prequels too, some of those battles look like theyd be fun to play. Just hoping none of them involve me playing as Padme in the senate.

I'd rather it played like Battlefront II, but alas.

Hell, give me 1942 in a Star Wars skin and I'd be happier than the travesty that was Battlefront 2015.

The entire premise of the original Battlefront games were that they were Battlefield with Star Wars reskins. That was the entire selling point.

The reason DICE got the contract is presumably because they were the guys behind Battlefield too. No one expected the team behind Battlefield getting the contract for a Battlefield clone not giving us Battlefield with Star Wars; because at the very least that would satisfy the fans of the Battlefront games.

What? Dice didn't get a contract for anything. Ea currently owns the rights to make Star Wars games. They were tasked with making Battlefront for a few key reasons.

Ea wanted to get a game out near the first Star Wars movie. Dice is the only studio they have capable of making a game quickly with quality. They had a little over two years to bring a game from concept to release. Using the Battlefront brand meant brand recognition as well. Battlefront proper also wasn't competing with itself.

Not that it matters. Didn't Battlefront sell better than Battlefield 4? Why change it?

WillyFive

What? Dice didn't get a contract for anything. Ea currently owns the rights to make Star Wars games. They were tasked with making Battlefront for a few key reasons.

Ea wanted to get a game out near the first Star Wars movie. Dice is the only studio they have capable of making a game quickly with quality. They had a little over two years to bring a game from concept to release. Using the Battlefront brand meant brand recognition as well. Battlefront proper also wasn't competing with itself.

Not that it matters. Didn't Battlefront sell better than Battlefield 4? Why change it?

I want to think game developers and publishers care more than just "hey this sold great!".

Cause bf4 was broken for half a year?

I want to think game developers and publishers care more than just "hey this sold great!".

What should they care about? You say that like your opinion is an objective fact. "Don't care about the millions that bought this, putting its total sales figures at other Battlefield titles, care about the vocal minority that want the game to be reskinned Battlefield." The most I see happening is a proper conquest mode being added.

Brand recognition is important. You can say a lot of things about Battlefront but not that it was a reskined Bf4. Which is why Hardline flopped.

Cause bf4 was broken for half a year?

I mean, it wasn't, but yeah, I'm sure that hurt it. Not that it matters. Battlefront didn't do exceptionally better that Bf3 or Bf1, but it matched them. 15 mil or so.

lawnchair

Banned
Battlefield 1 plays just like a reskinned Battlefield 4. Battlefront, with its no ADS, minimal recoil, no prone, no movement penalty for accuracy, and third person perspective plays much better.

i mostly agree with this. i like that it doesn't play like battlefield. it isn't battlefield. it can have a separate identity.

Part of the reason it sold well was likely just because it's Star Wars, it was called Battlefront and because it was made by Dice, so Battlefront selling well at release before most people fully realized what it actually was doesn't necessarily indicate that leaving things how they are is a good idea. Remember that it got pretty average reviews and a lot of people seemed to have a bit of a negative opinion about it overall, so it seems doubtful it will have as much hype without being a big improvement over the previous game and those issues being fixed.

I mean, it wasn't, but yeah, I'm sure that hurt it. Not that it matters. Battlefront didn't do exceptionally better that Bf3 or Bf1, but it matched them. 15 mil or so.

Yes, it was. BF4 didnt work properly for months. Not weeks, months. I was there day one. It only started coming together at around the summer of the next year and even then, the servers still had issue like rubberbanding. Game was a god damn mess for a long time.

And Star Wars on its licence alone will sell. So to equate sales of one of the biggest most profitable franchises in the world isn't a very good argument of anything. Even a crappy Star Wars game will sell better than most games of the same genre. So what does that mean? That its automatically quality?

Just because something has good sales, doesnt mean its an amazing product and it certainly doesnt mean it cant be massively improved. Prequels are a perfect example.

Yes, it was. BF4 didnt work properly for months. Not weeks, months. I was there day one. It only started coming together at around the summer of the next year and even then, the servers still had issue like rubberbanding. Game was a god damn mess for a long time.

That's your opinion. Once the inital server problems were fixed I played the game just fine for months. It got better, sure, but it played fine. I put 350 so hours into it from Jan until June.

And Star Wars on its licence alone will sell. So to equate sales of one of the biggest most profitable franchises in the world isn't a very good argument of anything. Even a crappy Star Wars game will sell better than most games of the same genre. So what does that mean? That its automatically quality?

Just because something has good sales, doesnt mean its an amazing product and it certainly doesnt mean it cant be massively improved. Prequels are a perfect example.

I'm not saying it's a quaility product. I didn't say it was an amazing product either. Your puting words in my mouth. I said that they have no incentive to massively change what they did in Battlefront, because it sold well. I also don't see how making it a reskined Battlefield game makes it a better product by default or will improve sales.

Also adding prequel content means absolutely nothing, besides the fact that Ot and Nt don't have a large stock of villians. It was obvious. Kylo Ren can't main an entire game.

That's like saying this

H9qybxj.png

Is better looking then this
McLaren-650s-750x420.jpg

Fixed for accuracy

Sou Da

Nearly all of the prerelase discussion was about how DICE was going to ruin Battlefront by turning it into Battlefield reskin.

Gtafans93

So excited for Prequel settings just re watched all 3 prequels and they are great films 3 being the best and up there with 4,5,6 in terms of quality. theirs a lot good with the prequels, Sure jar jar was way too childish but Ewoks were the same.

Anakin was a bad ass especially his scene loosing his mother was damn powerful and really showed who he was becoming. And in three Anakin loosing everything just wanting a life with the one he loves being manipulated by everyone Bloody hell. I wish they could do a one off and have it they he kills sidious and everything's back to normal.

Mace windu was also amazing, yoda fighting Sidious/Dooku, battledroids .

The arena battle in two then full scale war with the jedi and clones. The clone wars. The bigger view of jedi. the fall of the Jedi. How it was there fault. How there isn't much difference to them and the sith if viewed by a different perspective. Mustafar. Sidious winning with not a weapon but politics. Interesting themes. great alien life and planets. Sure they weren't the original trilogy but they were a lot better than episode 7 I mean that episode 4 remake.

I can Understand the too much CGI effects but re watching all three prequels and I noticed a lot more practical effects than I did at an earlier age. But I get the prequels hell I grew up with them sure, but I also grew up with the original trilogy first then the prequels and I get it Each film is a part of Anakins life 1 his childhood 2 his teens/Early Adult life 3 being his turn to a full adult no longer a child. and His Final transformation into Vader

I could Go on but I am sure someone will pick my view apart disagreeing with this all so no need to waste more time.

That first game was profoundly disappointing. Hoping this one isn't as shallow/plays more like Battlefield.

They could definitely balance the two better and even expand on some battlefield mechanics. Give us a mode where the teams have to destroy each others captial ships ala the blimp in BF1 but a bit more complex so you can board them and take out critical parts. This is also going from what battlefront 2 had in space battles

MilkyJoe

So excited for Prequel settings just re watched all 3 prequels and they are great films 3 being the best and up there with 4,5,6 in terms of quality. theirs a lot good with the prequels, Sure jar jar was way too childish but Ewoks were the same.

Anakin was a bad ass especially his scene loosing his mother was damn powerful and really showed who he was becoming. And in three Anakin loosing everything just wanting a life with the one he loves being manipulated by everyone Bloody hell. I wish they could do a one off and have it they he kills sidious and everything's back to normal.

Mace windu was also amazing, yoda fighting Sidious/Dooku, battledroids .

The arena battle in two then full scale war with the jedi and clones. The clone wars. The bigger view of jedi. the fall of the Jedi. How it was there fault. How there isn't much difference to them and the sith if viewed by a different perspective. Mustafar. Sidious winning with not a weapon but politics. Interesting themes. great alien life and planets. Sure they weren't the original trilogy but they were a lot better than episode 7 I mean that episode 4 remake.

I can Understand the too much CGI effects but re watching all three prequels and I noticed a lot more practical effects than I did at an earlier age. But I get the prequels hell I grew up with them sure, but I also grew up with the original trilogy first then the prequels and I get it Each film is a part of Anakins life 1 his childhood 2 his teens/Early Adult life 3 being his turn to a full adult no longer a child. and His Final transformation into Vader

I could Go on but I am sure someone will pick my view apart disagreeing with this all so no need to waste more time.

Yippeeeee

TheContact

I thought no one liked the prequels but you guys seem excited about this. I just hope the game is more like battlefield 1 MP rather than battlefront

Eggbok

I thought no one liked the prequels but you guys seem excited about this. I just hope the game is more like battlefield 1 MP rather than battlefront

The prequel era is the best era for a Star Wars game like Battlefront and that is a fact. Love or hate the movies that era has unmatched diversity in characters, weapons and locations.

Raide

Will keep a close eye on this because my housemates are still addicted to Battlefront, despite it feeling way too Simplistic for my tastes. At least the 2nd game could iron out the issues and add some more variety to things.

Top Bottom