• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Beta Thread: He’s holding a thermal detonator!

LMAO! I'm probably the minority, when I watch a stream I want to be immersed in the sights and sounds of the game. No offense to you or any other streamer, but I'm not there for their scintillating and effervescent personality.

the best is when the persons cam is 75% of the screen and the game is minimized into a corner

I just got chastised by a good number of people for one of my latest streams for NOT having my face in the video...sigh.

How the times have changed..No offense to any streamers who show your face but I just wanna see the gameplay..I do not need your faces taking up space on the screen..

pULft7H.gif

why do lasers look like they have the kinetic energy of a rubber bullet?

lostcauz

I'm not sure how the servers work, as in do they find the nearest dedicated server. Being in Europe at 3am, I'm not sure if its that or because the beta hasn't been opened up yet but I haven't had a game with more than 10 people yet.

teokrazia

LoL I saw someone being sent to space after the explosion. :D

Aahahah, that was a pretty amazing moment. :O

The game, BTW, seems too casual for me and with some very bad lacks [no server browers? No ping?], but I'm having some genuine fun wih it.

Wow, PC version looks amazing. Rocks look like actual rocks.
Ye, it looks extremely good:
https://youtu.be/o6QZKtnnKqQ

And in my opinion the best is on Tatooine.

Yurikerr

This post isn't by me, it's by a guy with the same username as me.
Can't find any dropzone game on ps4.

Anyone having a similar problem?

Edit: I think I found what my problem is. My account is NA, but I'm in Brazil, and the game is matchmaking me only with brazillian players.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
There are 3 maps.

Also: BETA.

The "It's just a beta" excuse has been worn down to nothing at this point. The game releases in a month. This isn't an unfinished product. Barring lag or other network issues it's fair to judge this game on its gameplay at this point, since they obviously aren't going to be making significant design changes in a month.

It looks incredibly vapid compared to what made the original Battlefronts fun. It looks too basic. The Hoth level would've been a lot more fun if you could drive those AT-ATs.

Boke1879

The "It's just a beta" excuse has been worn down to nothing at this point. The game releases in a month. This isn't an unfinished product. Barring lag or other network issues it's fair to judge this game on it's gameplay at this point, since they obviously aren't going to be making significant design changes in a month.

It looks incredibly vapid compared to what made the original Battlefronts fun. It looks too basic. The Hoth level would've been a lot more fun if you could drive those AT-ATs.

Many impressions say the gameplay is fun. And yes the beta excuse does work here. Only 3 maps and we don't even have all the game modes.

If someone doesn't like the gameplay then fair.

And I doubt driving THOSE AT-AT's would be fun. They'd be moving slow as hell.

Ok so here are my impressions after a few hours with the Beta on PS4

-First of all, it runs fantastically. There doesnt appear to be any of the frame rate drops that BF4 has (if there are drops, its not very noticeable to my eyes).

-It looks absolutely gorgeous as well. Tatooine and Sullust look amazing, Hoth a bit less so but thats probably only because its hard to make out texture detail at distance when its just white everywhere.

-The gunplay feels pretty good

-Ive had no problems not only getting into games but full or near full games.

Now the negative:

-Flying feels wonky, and dogs fights do as well since as soon as you hit somebody they go into the panic wiggle-the-sticks erratic mode and since the flight physics are much more arcadey, its actually a pretty effective way of ditching a tail but I am far from the best pilot out there so maybe my skills are just lacking.

-Ive had a few occasions where I just randomly died from one shot of a regular blaster with full health. Someone correct me, but Im pretty sure that even headshots with regular blasters dont kill you in one hit.

-The power ups and vehicle tokens blend into the scenery a bit, not only that but I had several times where I was running to one and it just disappears, which is a bit frustrating since it makes it much more difficult to mount any kind of air support since it seems totally random where they spawn. I know theyre trying to make a more accessible game but it feels a bit too random.

-Lastly, Hoth is pretty skewed towards the Empire. I played about 7 rounds on Hoth and the Rebels didnt win once. The closest out of any of the games my team was able to destroy one of the walkers about 30 seconds before the 2nd walker shot the power generator. And thats with 6 (I think) Y-wings doing bombing runs at almost each point (hard to remember each section) and A LOT of the team shooting at the walkers each time. Which also leads to some more frustration with the random power-ups. I still have not seen a single snowspeeder icon in my playtime.

All in all Im having a lot of fun with the beta though but theres definitely some kinks that need to be ironed out if they want to keep a dedicated fanbase playing for a long time.

JDHarbs

Just got done playing a 3 hour session. Overall, it's great, but there are a couple of glaring issues that need to be fixed.

First is that Destiny-style motion tracker. I don't know why this is a trend in shooters now, but its even worse in Battlefront with that transparent background. I can barely see it ping a nearby enemy because it blends in so well.

Second is the dog-fighting. It needs some refinement. I feel like I don't have full control over my starfighter at times. DICE has struggled with this in the past, but at least it feels a bit better in this game than their previous attempts.

Third is the range of some of these weapons. There was a LOT of cross-map kills going on. Okay, maybe not cross-map because these maps are huge, but it's still a ridiculous length for an auto weapon. Sniper Rifles should probably be a power-up too. Just about everyone was spawning in with one.

Everything else feels great so far outside of some general balance issues. Graphics are amazing. They really nailed the Star Wars look and feel. The gunplay feels like Destiny. As someone who was a massive fan of the original games and has been waiting a solid decade for this game, I can recommend this as a quality reboot of the series. If you're a Star Wars fan it's a must-buy, but if you're a Battlefield/general FPS fan then I'd wait for a price cut.

MADGAME

-Lastly, Hoth is pretty skewed towards the Empire. I played about 7 rounds on Hoth and the Rebels didnt win once. The closest out of any of the games my team was able to destroy one of the walkers about 30 seconds before the 2nd walker shot the power generator. And thats with 6 (I think) Y-wings doing bombing runs at almost each point (hard to remember each section) and A LOT of the team shooting at the walkers each time. Which also leads to some more frustration with the random power-ups. I still have not seen a single snowspeeder icon in my playtime.

Thanks for sharing. Haven't played yet but consistently hearing the Rebels have it rough in Walker Assault. I'm convinced the key to their victory is the Snowspeeders. Y-Wings weakening them to take damage is another way, but the key to the speeders needs to be figured out.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The "It's just a beta" excuse has been worn down to nothing at this point. The game releases in a month. This isn't an unfinished product. Barring lag or other network issues it's fair to judge this game on its gameplay at this point, since they obviously aren't going to be making significant design changes in a month.

Dude was saying there was only one map. Critique the gameplay all you want, but bitching about the map selections in a beta is just asinine.

I see many PS4 streams going but not a single Xbox one stream. Are MS blocking it from being streamed?

Idk if it's being blocked or the twitch app is just broken right now. When I, and others, try to stream it gives some error and says "it's not you, it's us" then to try again later or something

lostcauz

I see many PS4 streams going but not a single Xbox one stream. Are MS blocking it from being streamed?

I don't think many codes have gone out for Xbox one, I haven't been able to get a game going for the last hour with 3 people being the most I've had in a lobby.

Thanks for sharing. Haven't played yet but consistently hearing the Rebels have it rough in Walker Assault. I'm convinced the key to their victory is the Snowspeeders. Y-Wings weakening them to take damage is another way, but the key to the speeders needs to be figured out.

The problem with that is the randomized items and ships. You cant really strategize on defense when significant defensive weapons like snow-speeders and rocket launchers are only accessible through random pickups scattered throughout the map.

Boke1879

The problem with that is the randomized items and ships. You cant really strategize on defense when significant defensive weapons like snow-speeders and rocket launchers are only accessible through random pickups scattered throughout the map.

I wonder if in the full game you'll have access to rocket launcher or grenade launchers so you won't have to rely on those pickups

antonz

Finally won walker assault as the rebels. amazingly fast too. beat them by the time we got to the 2nd uplinks.

Rebels need to have skilled people flying so the a-wings and x-wings can torpedo the AT-AT.

Get scrubs flying and all but guaranteed the rebels will lose as the ground based stuff is just not strong enough

MADGAME

Have you seen anyone in a Snowspeeder?

Finally won walker assault as the rebels. amazingly fast too. beat them by the time we got to the 2nd uplinks.

Rebels need to have skilled people flying so the a-wings and x-wings can torpedo the AT-AT.

Get scrubs flying and all but guaranteed the rebels will lose as the ground based stuff is just not strong enough

Did they torpedo the Walkers after they were weakened by Y-wings or did that matter?

antonz

Have you seen anyone in a Snowspeeder?

Did they torpedo the Walkers after they were weakened by Y-wings or did that matter?

After the Ywings hit them is the only vulnerable time. I have seen a few snowspeeders but the fighters seem to be more prevalent.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I'm having way more fun with this game than I though I would.

But...

How do I make the game look as good as it does in that GIF? I'm at Ultra and it doesn't look that clean.

Also spawn camping......I dunno how many times Ive played as the rebels and an enemy flanked us and got into a turret right behind the base spawn and just opened up as soon as people spawned in.

Idk if it's being blocked or the twitch app is just broken right now. When I, and others, try to stream it gives some error and says "it's not you, it's us" then to try again later or something

yeah its blocking it , i tried streaming another game and it worked then switched to battlefront and it said error

i was bummed

J-Rzez

Game is pretty, great effects that the gifs do no justice for. The audio is on another level all together and nothing can come close to this, can't wait to hook my PC up for that Dolby Atmos track. Menus are super slick and clean.

That said I wonder longetivity. Game is super casual, quicker gameplay than battlefield, not sure about overall depth at all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's great to play a Frostbite 3 game that doesn't have absurd loading times and asset load stalling, though I figure the much smaller, simpler maps play a big part in that. Inquisition's load times are obnoxious, and Battlefield 4 has the fucking worse drip feed asset streaming whenever I load a map.

Here at least everything boots up fast enough, and I'm not running it from my SSD.

Venom Fox

Banned
Played a couple of hours and I can safely say that I'm buying day 1. Graphics are top notch on PS4, gameplay while simpler than BF4 etc is fun. FUN is what we need in games like these. I'm tired now and going bed but I'll post a more deeper, detailed write up tomorrow.

mtodavk

I streamed a for a couple hours tonight on PC. Was pleasantly surprised to be enjoying myself so much. Gunplay feels great, game looks great, sound is great. Heroes are still very much a work in progress and I hope they become a little less wonky before launch.

Like everyone else said, the Rebellion has it tough on Hoth Walker Assault. I managed to win a couple rounds as the Rebels when Summit was streaming and apparently his chat freaked out because they hadn't seen the rebels win yet.

Here's a link to my VoD if anyone wants to check it out. 720p/60fps. Unfortunately pretty compressed. Link

Dmax3901

It's great to play a Frostbite 3 game that doesn't have absurd loading times and asset load stalling, though I figure the much smaller, simpler maps play a big part in that. Inquisition's load times are obnoxious, and Battlefield 4 has the fucking worse drip feed asset streaming whenever I load a map.

Here at least everything boots up fast enough, and I'm not running it from my SSD.

Very good news.

nib95

Banned
Wait what the hell, the game is actually good? I cancelled my pre-order after seeing the Hero gameplay footage lol. That on top of there being no single player was the last straw. Guess I'll give the Beta a go and re-decide.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The Frostbite engine techs have mentioned several times that a lot of old code was purged and stuff reworked for the newest version of Frostbite. Likely the long load times/asset streaming were a result of cross gen RAM constraints.

Game looks great and the presentation is killer, but frankly I found it to be kind of boring. I played a match on Hoth and there didn't seem to be any main objective. I was just running to random areas of the map and shutting down turrets. Occasionally I'd run into a few enemies, exchange gunfire, and run aimlessly to the next turret icon on my the map.

Are the AT-STs and snowspeeders playable? I couldn't figure out how to pilot one.

EDIT: The special grenade sound design is absolutely fantastic. The whole game sounds great, as a matter of fact.

Top Bottom