• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Episode 7 - Thread of Pre-Production

Time to take "Pre-" out of the thread title, ladies and gents. Let's get rowdy.

"I felt a great celebration in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in glee, and sudden joy. I believe something amazing has happened."

in all seriousness guys.. they are filming a new Star Wars movie.

I'm going to try to stay away from spoilers this time, as opposed to the prequels where I was a spoiler hound. I'd just like to get the cast announcement so I can come up with my own theories.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
PzWv8wk.png

Given that Mayhew doesn't do much outside of being Chewbacca, Episode VII begins filming in May and this event is held May 23 - 26, then, it's probably safe to assume Chewie is in this movie.

It's official:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-episode-vii-adds-694151

The trio of new leads for Star Wars: Episode VII has yet to be revealed, but an actor from the original franchise is returning to reprise his role.

Peter Mayhew will play Chewbacca for Disney and Lucasfilm's upcoming sequel, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Officially RIP EU

I didn't expect JJ to adapt the NJO series. Always figured he'd do his own thing. All that said, there's no reason the Yuuzhan Vong can't come up in future films. They'll just skew the timeline a little bit.

Ultimately, it won't matter what Disney says is canon or not canon.

watershed

Banned
'Star Wars: Episode VII' Speculation Centers on Unknown Oxford Actress

Apparently may or may not be up for a role as a *POSSIBLE SPOILER*
descendant of Obi Wan Kenobi
, according to Hollywood Reporter.

Concerning the spoilered speculation, how is that possible? Isn't that like inventing something about the previous films that is contradictory or at least never even hinted at. Seems like fanfiction level writing. Contradictory in that
the jedi code forbids love, marriage, attachment etc, even after the fall of the Jedi you'd think Obiwan would abstain, And his family was never mentioned, meaning brothers, sisters, etc.

Concerning the spoilered speculation, how is that possible? Isn't that like inventing something about the previous films that is contradictory or at least never even hinted at. Seems like fanfiction level writing. Contradictory in that
the jedi code forbids love, marriage, attachment etc, even after the fall of the Jedi you'd think Obiwan would abstain, And his family was never mentioned, meaning brothers, sisters, etc.

I have no idea why anyone would ever write such a thing in but I also don't know why THR is blatantly putting such a thing into the article, or if they're full of shit. I guess to make it more exciting ooh aah.

monome

it's Obi-wank. everything is possible.

And the Clone Wars cartoon showed he's a ladie's man, tho he behaves.

some british classiness is much welcome anyways.

Cheebo

Banned
To those who want more details about this Kenobi rumor:
Apparently what happens is during Obi-Wans 19 year seclusion on Tatooine he meets someone, falls in love and has a daughter. However the relationship falls apart prior to A New Hope.

Its not like he is breaking Jedi Code, the Jedi Order is dead at this time.

Here's the thing: This would just shrink the universe, and WE DON'T NEED THAT. Not everyone has to be related to everyone else, or know everyone.

There's trillions or quadrillions of beings in the galaxy, we don't need the new bad guy to be the descendent of say, the clone of Tarkin's wife and Palpatine's son, and who also happened to attend the academy with Han Solo back in the day.

At this rate there will be a third Death Star!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Do they usually start shooting without announcing the actors?

Derwind

I'm going to try to stay away from spoilers this time, as opposed to the prequels where I was a spoiler hound. I'd just like to get the cast announcement so I can come up with my own theories.

Ditto on this one, I'm hoping it doesnt floor me like the cast selection of Guardians of the Galaxy.

WARP10CK

Banned

Well I was graduating high school when the episode 1 trailer hit the web, everyone including my teacher was standing around me and the computer so they all could see the new trailer.

Be prepared for moments like that even after the prequel movies being what they are, every single thing about this production will be major news.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I really hope they update the AT AT design. It's 30 years after the old trilogy. I want something new other than the prequels, and original trilogy please.
Wasn't the AT ST from Jedi a redesign? I bet it'll meet somewhere in the middle and have more of that chicken-walker look since the originals were so immobile.

Anth0ny

I really hope they update the AT AT design. It's 30 years after the old trilogy. I want something new other than the prequels, and original trilogy please.

the AT AT design is flawless and should never be changed

new vehicles and walkers, sure, but I'd love to see the traditional AT AT make a return.

the AT AT design is flawless and should never be changed

new vehicles and walkers, sure, but I'd love to see the traditional AT AT make a return.

I disagree. It's thirty years after the original films. I think that too much reliance on the the old trilogy can hurt it. This movie trilogy should be it's own thing. I'm keeping an open mind and waiting till the movie comes out before I judge it fully though.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I disagree. It's thirty years after the original films. I think that too much reliance on the the old trilogy can hurt it. This movie trilogy should be it's own thing. I'm keeping an open mind and waiting till the movie comes out before I judge it fully though.

It might just be some sort of evolve version of it. We still have tanks 100 years after WWI. I'm much more worried about the stupid need to have characters linked to the old cast or previous locations like Tatooine still being important.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I watched Into Darkness again last night and seeing it for the second time gives me faith in Abrams to do Episode VII and on right. Lucas should be proud.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think they do this every year, but this year it could be a special Star Wars Day. You know, the one where they tell us the actors and give us first story synopsys and everything.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I think they do this every year, but this year it could be a special Star Wars Day. You know, the one where they tell us the actors and give us first story synopsys and everything.
yep makes too much sense not to. I expect a teaser trailer next year around this time as well.

Sephzilla

If we go down one avenue of thought. If the Empire isn't as strong as they used to be maybe they simply don't have the resources to update the AT-AT design.

Do they hype up Star Wars Day like this every year?

Or are they doing it why I think they're doing it?

I don't think it's normally this hyped. The cinemas in Australia are even showing the 2 trilogies in movie marathons on the 3rd and 4th. Something big might be happening.

If we go down one avenue of thought. If the Empire isn't as strong as they used to be maybe they simply don't have the resources to update the AT-AT design.

Or they can use something else other the Empire as the threat.. As I said I want this to be it's own thing. The original trilogy and the prequel trilogy are very different from each other, I think they should try to make this more different from both trilogies. But either way, it wont prevent me from watching the movie when it comes out. I'm just happy it's coming. Not exactly a fan of J J, but I will give him the opportunity of proving me wrong.

Top Bottom