• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
as someone who has studied the history and culture of lightsabers for many years, the only problematic aspect of the 'light claymore' is the z-angle of the hilts. the crystalline matrix of the focusing crystals, as described in the novel Inferno (pp 215), would require a more acute angle of plasma ejection.

now i realize some may argue that this is no longer canon, however we are talking about matters of science and physics, not plot or narrative, and it shouldn't be handwaved away.

Cheebo

Banned
Bobby and you other bros, speculation on where a scene is going is fair game, but i just hope none of it is informed by plot spoilers you've read.

Cause that would suck

Once you read spoilers it is kind of hard to speculate without being informed by the spoilers. But nothing Bobby said was spoiling anything. Just random speculation to me. I wouldn't get too paranoid about spoilers. Those of us who read them are good about using spoiler tags as far as I have seen.

Also, this may be a bit reaching, but I like the claymore lightsaber because it doesn't designed seem to be designed for a super acrobatic and "prequel-y" fighting style. I'd wager whoever is wielding it will have a Vader approach to dueling, meaning big, long swings and being a less flashy fighter. That's all speculation, though.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Spectacular teaser.

Can't believe people give a shit about the logistics of the saber. It's fucking Star Wars. It looks cool, and that's all that matters to me.

Really glad to get quasi confirmation the story will actually be pretty creative/unique. Like to hear that "things didn't go as you'd have expected after VI, and thus there's a new story to tell."

MercuryLS

Banned
I've never seen the original trilogy in its entirety (just bits and pieces of the A New Hope). How's the Blu-Ray boxset? I think I'm finally ready to give the original trilogy a fair shake.

mattp

I'm sure it'll say "Episode VII" in the opening crawl. Otherwise why not leave the "Star Wars Episode x" naming format in the prequels and go back to the standalone titles?

yes please
i fucking hate how to stupid prequels retroactively turned the original trilogy into "star wars episode _" etc
all the boring logos too

bring back the unique names and logos

Salsa

I dont know if I appreciate or am disappointed by the fact that they didnt go for broke and like, showed fucking Han's head from the back or something

munchie64

Also, this may be a bit reaching, but I like the claymore lightsaber because it doesn't designed seem to be designed for a super acrobatic and "prequel-y" fighting style. I'd wager whoever is wielding it will have a Vader approach to dueling, meaning big, long swings and being a less flashy fighter. That's all speculation, though.
Oh man. Please be that.

Stormtroopers are clones though, no?

Not since a few years after the PT. They started being killed as the empire grew more aggressive in its expansion. Instead of cloning more clones the empire started recruiting and forcing people to be stromtroopers because it was cheaper.

as someone who has studied the history and culture of lightsabers for many years, the only problematic aspect of the 'light claymore' is the z-angle of the hilts. the crystalline matrix of the focusing crystals, as described in the novel Inferno (pp 215), would require a more acute angle of plasma ejection.

now i realize some may argue that this is no longer canon, however we are talking about matters of science and physics, not plot or narrative, and it shouldn't be handwaved away.
Lol

Fliesen

A True Star Wars Fan: Someone who really likes Star Wars. That's it. There is no further qualifier. No need to read the EU stuff, no need to have seen all the movies. A little kid who's only seen AotC and doesn't really understand it can firmy call themselves a Stars Fan.

i totally agree with you. I was just pointing out that they were arguing about the percentage of a not properly defined group, which is pretty pointless.

If my girlfriend says she's a "fan of Star Trek" because she likes the 2 Abrams movies (because she likes Chris Pine from Princess Diaries 2, and Cumberbatch because of Sherlock), while everything before that would bore her to death, i wouldn't try to convince her she "actually isn't"

Ithil

Why isn't it called episode 7?

God, I hate the logo...

Because none of the OT were called by their episode. The episode number only appeared in the opening crawl.
Hell, in their original releases, the sequels didn't even have Star Wars in the title.
It just went:

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

Star Wars didn't even have the Episode 4 added to the opening crawl until a release after the theatrical one.

Melon Husk

Nonplussed. The trailer gave a very cartoony vibe. Edit:
I'm probably way late

xCLVXPh.gif

Merry Sithmas

So confused I thought this is what the prequels confirmed.

The wait for next year is gonna be hard. Not gonna spoil myself.

In the prequels yes the troopers were clones. At some point either the manufacturing facilities were decommissioned, or maybe I dunno, they couldn't produce more good clones once Jango was killed.

At some point stormtroopers were no longer clones and more fighters were conscripted by the empire. I'm assuming there were no clones left by the time the original trilogy came around, but in the NEW trilogy I think it's very safe to assume there are no clone troopers left.

Jarmel

Banned
-That Millennium and X-Wing shot is the most interesting Star Wars has been visually in years.
-No opinion on the lightsaber until I see it in the movie. I do like the the 'surging' aspect of it.
-I really like the cinematography as a whole. Feels like a good director is actually filming the movie.

dabig2

As a reference, when the Nazis started losing WWII they began to allow Sikhs and other "non-Aryans" into the SS.

Indeed, they copied what the Confederates did during the Civil War when they conscripted black slaves to fight.

Things have to make sense in their own universe. This sword handle thing doesn't.

I don't know how you can say this when you know literally next to nothing about why the saber is designed that way nor have seen it in action. And there's a lot of shit in Star Wars that doesn't make sense that we all handwave away. Lightsaber "hilt" or whatever is on the very, very bottom of that list.

z3phon

I swear the internet will 'logic' the fun out of anything. The lightsaber looked cool. Who cares how practical it is?

There's going to be one scene in the movie where he uses the crossguard blades and the same people complaining about it now will all be like its the greatest lightsaber ever.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Man I felt like a kid watching the teaser. I know I'm gonna love this!

Mindwipe

People remember that all Star Wars lightsaber designs are as unpractical as fuck right? And of course the symbolism is heavy handed. It's Star Wars.

I quite enjoyed that. It certainly had a hell of a lot more footage in it than I expected.

Well, in the books the Empire didn't just disappear after the death of the emperor. It was severely weakened, but there was still a command structure in place and the rebel alliance and empire fought for control of various parts of the galaxy. It's not that dumb to have storm troopers 30 years later. It's just an ongoing conflict.

giga

This is a great point. It's disturbing that jj is deliberately going against the laws of physics with this movie.

Sallokin

I don't even understand this line of thinking.

1. How is it liberal brainwashing, stormtroopers are traditionally evil mooks.

2. What indication was ever given that all stormtroopers were white?

If we want to get nitpicky the original template for stormtroopers was a dude who's Polynesian looking. Someone hand that girl a cross-hilt saber please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom