• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Only part that got me hard was the X-Wing scene with Oscar Isaac and Falcon scene. Droid looked dumb, that lightsaber was horrible but not as bad as that voice over, Stormtrooper helmets were alright but the opening shot with Boyega looked terrible.

I'm reserving judgement cause I want this to be good, but I just don't know.

ArchAngel

iDr77sY.gif

Sonic the Movie?

SJRB

Gold Member
That was way better than I expected. Even though [like many] I chuckled at the bizarre lightsaber, however cool that shot otherwise was.

I thought the saber looked retarded, but after more viewings I completely changed my mind somehow. It looks fucking sick. I think it will be that Sith's iconic weapon and any others will be normal or different. No way Luke's is like that.

Onyar

I think my only main concern at this point is that it ends up feeling a bit too much like a JJ film and less like a Star Wars film. I hope at least some of the fun, humor and style of the originals is captured a bit more in the final version.

Maybe a reboot may have been better than sequels.

Blader

Only part that got me hard was the X-Wing scene with Oscar Isaac and Falcon scene. Droid looked dumb, that lightsaber was horrible but not as bad as that voice over, Stormtrooper helmets were alright but the opening shot with Boyega looked terrible.

I'm reserving judgement cause I want this to be good, but I just don't know.

This is reserving judgment?

Between this, Amy Hennig's EA Star Wars game AND Battlefront next year, the world is gonna be proper fucked up by Star Wars (^___^)

Also, this WILL be the first theatrical film that I WILL line up to see.... believe

Don't forget to include the amazing Star Wars games Fantasy Flight is putting out.

If someone has even the vaguest interest in table-top miniatures, or just great games, X-wing Miniatures cannot be missed. Its just incredible... really.

jstripes

Banned
For anyone asking "why not called Episode 7"

1977crawl.jpg

Hey, why is it just called "Star Wars" and not "Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope"?

The whole putting the Episode in the movie title only happened in the prequels. Otherwise it only appeared in the opening crawl of ESB and ROTJ, and the re-release of A New Hope (which actually messed up the cue of Williams' score).

I always thought the whole "Episode" thing with the prequels was sort of pretentious, anyway.

They shoulda just kept it in the title crawl.

monome

Good people of the internet.
Either you build chrome extensions That purge your internet from SW related news or you re fucked.

Spoiler bars and offuscated réactions won t help.

bengraven

I'll watch it a few times I'm sure and I'll grow to like it, but that was really jarring.

Boyega shot - if you're a casual who knows nothing, you're going to be like "it's a fucking Stormtrooper with his helmet off, who cares?" Then a few shots of lower quality classic star fighters, a few goofy droid moments. No aliens, no returning heroes. And man, the second they showed Boyega, that's a straight up Abrams shot right there. I wonder if this is going to feel uncomfortably like Star Trek as you watch it.

This honestly could pass as a fan film.

imQuARdnR1Txh.gif

Looks like he encountered a few White Walkers.

How did Voldemort get a lightsaber and end up in Westeros?

Seriously though, everyone tripping on the broadsaber or whatever.

These are swords whose entire blade can cut through ANYTHING it touches with zero resistance. People are talking about those two little nubs at the end somehow being more dangerous than the fact the whole goddamn sword (that everybody kees twirling and spinning and waving one-handed like a drum major) will lop off any one of your limbs with all the effort of flicking your wrist.

"You're going to lose a thumb with that!"

Yeah, you'll probably lose the whole palm of your hand with a regular one if your hands get clammy.

And in Phantom Menace we all shit our pants at the idea the saber had another jet of atom-splitting laser-plasma or whatever sticking out the other side, thus DOUBLING the possibilities you could de-limb yourself, and nobody was like "That doesn't seem very safe."

Of course it's not safe, it's a fucking sword made out of lasers.

So weird, fans of a film series many consider to be their gateway into fantasy, stumbling over what should be, by now, easy leaps of imagination.

Salsa

Seriously massive kudos dude! That must have been fun as all hell to work on.

Double gun chick is wearing the freakin starting smuggler armor even! The attention to detail is pretty amazing. The business signs are even in Aurebesh!

there was a Lucasfilm and an EA guy there making sure that stuff was accurate. The bad and weird lightsaber props were probably given out considering the massive number of extras so those in the back werent really gonna make the cut anyway

also, thing came out like 2 years after shooting it, so they took their time with the details for sure

For anyone asking "why not called Episode 7"

1977crawl.jpg

Hey, why is it just called "Star Wars" and not "Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope"?

The whole putting the Episode in the movie title only happened in the prequels. Otherwise it only appeared in the opening crawl of ESB and ROTJ, and the re-release of A New Hope (which actually messed up the cue of Williams' score).

Plus, they probably want to appeal to a new generation/people who haven't seen the OT and PT. Going around marketing it as the 7th movie in a series might not help with that. :p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I can't get over how lucky I feel to have my first pick director working on this.

Sallokin

Horrible lightsaber. Huge Star Wars fan here, felt meh. :/

I just don't get this reaction. Huge fan or not the movies are not about lightsabers. There's other stuff going on.

Maybe in Episode X: Lightsabers we could maybe allow for a design to be movie ruining...

These are swords whose entire blade can cut through ANYTHING it touches with zero resistance. People are talking about those two little nubs at the end somehow being more dangerous than the fact the whole goddamn sword (that everybody kees twirling and spinning and waving one-handed like a drum major) will lop off any one of your limbs with all the effort of flicking your wrist.

Yeah, you'll probably lose the whole palm of your hand with a regular one if your hands get clammy.

And in Phantom Menace we all shit our pants at the idea the saber had another jet of atom-splitting laser-plasma or whatever sticking out the other side, thus DOUBLING the possibilities you could de-limb yourself, and nobody was like "That doesn't seem very safe."

So weird, fans of a film series many consider to be their gateway into fantasy, stumbling over what should be, by now, easy leaps of imagination.

Yup. Not to mention the dexterity and skill with which they wield the lightsabers is so far beyond anything you can possibly comprehend, that extra cross section is nothing.

Fliesen

Andy Serkis would make for an amazing Sith Lord. Hopefully that is the role he plays.

hopefully he doesn't just play it, but also "star" it.

i don't need him doing mocap and voice over for some lizard-lord just because that's his shtick.

DunklerJediDesann.jpg

Desann's pretty cool, though. So some non-human Sith lord wouldn't bee all that bad, either. For diversity's sake.

Mecha

Not a Star Wars fan, but I thought the trailer looked fine. People sure like complaining about small things for no reason.

Moppeh

Banned
Imma be honest here and say that I dig the new lightsaber. That shit looks experimental with the laser hilt and how embery the actual laser parts are. It's like the dude made it from scratch, very cool in a rough looking way.

That villain looks cool. You don't see much of him in the trailer but from seeing him in motion + the concept art=fucking dope.

Not a fan of clean shaven Oscar Isaac but goddamn, I'm so psyched to see Llewyn Davis fly around in space.

Abrams really captured the look from the original trilogy which is what worried me most when I first heard he was directing the picture. I feared it would look like one of his Star Trek movies but that is not the case. Looks great, and is really evocative of the original trilogy.

Day 1.

People just freak out over seeing a new version of something they're familiar with. Not to say people can't not like it, but give a couple of weeks and people will calm down about it. Hell, when I watched the trailer for the first, I wasn't sure how I felt about it.

Ithil

People keep complaining that the CROSS SABER looks stupid. FIRST OF ALL have you noticed that the Lightsaber actualy seems OVERCHARGED??!!! This Lightsaber is very very different from the usual sabers. Maybe a NEW powerfull type of lightsaber, you can clearly see the light of it kinda electrifying and it really does seem like the Sith or person modified the saber. The side things IN MY OPINION seem to be some sort of EXAUST PIPES so to make the thing not blow up in his hands. This to me is the most logical explanation as to why the saber is done that way.

I honestly think the way it's all jittering and pulsing is simply meant to look like an intentional updating of the sabers from ANH, which were just scratched/drawn onto the screen and didn't look all "perfect baton" like the Prequel sabers.

That or it's meant to look more like "fiery energy" like the original Ralph McQuarrie concept:

The x-wings also seem to be based on the McQuarrie art.

I have no objections to that.

IISANDERII

This is more like a teaser rather than a trailer.

Not bad but I don't like what they've done with the Millennium Falcon's engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom