• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy how the trailer matches the rumors.

The mystery box has failed.

That said...I m impressed. The trailer is tight as fuck. It conveys a lot very efficiently for what is both one movie and an IP relaunch

Also...Boyega s reveal is a nod to C3PO and is supposed to be funny

The mystery box was fucked the moment JJ signed on to make Star Wars.

B3iymoDCQAAqa8x.jpg

BFIB

Can't....stop....watching.

I need to get a Star Wars fix. Time to finally dig into the Clone Wars on Netflix.

Ithil

Yesss. I'm sure modern cgi troopers would look pretty good today, but the old cgi clones from the prequels have left too damaging an impression to this day.

Ponds_AotC.png

There is literally zero reason to have CG troopers. They're right there, in regular looking space armour, it was just stupid of Lucas to do it. Other than "they all need to look the same without helmets" which is easily accomplished otherwise, it was pointless.

I understand doing a CG trooper in some kind of crazy stunt or action scene, but he had them be CG just standing around talking. Why?

LastNac

I think they're still in the minority overall when you look at how many people will go to a theater for a Star Wars movie. People like my parents will go see this and I'll bet they don't have a clue about the expanded fiction.
Like all those people who saw The Clone Wars in 2008? Of course, some people out there will only respect things that are live action, but I'm not really concerned with those people. He'll we are on a Video Game forum after all.
Yeah it is more like .0005% Star Wars has millions upon millions of fans. The EU? A couple thousand, at best.
Couple thousand? Hilarious. That's why there were only ever a few Star Wars games sold at retail and why The Clone Wars only lasted one season.
not really, no
See above.
Uh...Star Wars is all about blockbusters and having a good time at the theater. It's a pop culture phenom. We should get that with this film hopefully
The Clone Wars in 08 wasn't much of a phenomenon

I'd stand by that statement regardless...but what's the point of the argument if people just know that books exist and haven't read them?

Think about the number of people that have seen those movies. Your parents have seen it. Kids have seen it. Grand parents have seen it.

I've watched them all a thousand times and I'd never consider reading the books...and if I had I wouldn't hold the movies to that canon.

You forget how little of the population the active internet base makes up.

Sure, but that's a video game...a vastly more accessible and consumed medium.
Goal post shifting indeed.

Listen, nobody is making a case for "Hand of Vader," etc. The point is, in an actual era that didn't have new Star Wars on the big screen(1984-1998) there are some stories that stand out. I'm not advocating for adaptations of those stories, frankly I don't even like the Thrawn books. But the truth is it is disingenuous and a flat out lie to say those stories aren't beloved or that they don't matter.

I'm not picking on you specifically, but it is always telling that the people who are the most vocal about being anti-EU have no first hand experience with it whatever. They speak out of ignorance on things they know nothing about. Furthermore, those who act as if they were deprived of Star Wars but never turned to other mediums for the universe come of slightly hypocritical(not saying you do.) The universe that you love is still out there to be explored, albeit in different ways. It becomes a question of how much someone really loves Star Wars.

"that's a video game...a vastly more accessible and consumed medium."

Doesn't matter, fiction is fiction, regardless of the outlet. People my age(18-30) who play games are as familiar with Darth Revan as they are Darth Vader. Hell, I've had to tell dozens of people not to expect to see Kyle Katarn again. People still care about these characters, regardless if they read about them or played as them. Point is, more so than being about a film series, Star Wars is a series of timeless space fantasy stories. There was always meant to be more than one tale in a galaxy far, far away...

Sorry to rant, the mindset just annoys the piss out of me. It would be like a Judeo-Christians cherrypicking specific books of the bible, Torah, etc. The universe always feels much more alive when a lot of things are going on. What's wrong with it feeling grand in scope and events?

As for the trailer itself, I don't think the cinematography looks great. It's too sharp and clean. I honestly wish it had some of the "grain" present that the originals had. It is serviceable but doesn't blow me away, outside from a few aesthetics there isn't anything that conjures up the idea or identity of Star Wars. There also isn't any scale that even the prequels had. Of course things could change and it would be unfairly write something off with just 88 seconds shown.

I'm also not a fan of shots used, very "unStar Warsy."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is also the first Star Wars trailer without a single shot of actual space.

i honestly doubted it would work but jesus christ, the second that song drops i got nerd chills like a muthafucka. like a wave of hype instantly hit me

Hale-XF11

I think my only main concern at this point is that it ends up feeling a bit too much like a JJ film and less like a Star Wars film. I hope at least some of the fun, humor and style of the originals is captured a bit more in the final version.

Salsa

How the fuck have I never seen this video before? That's awesome!

thanks. almost the entire crew was uruguayan and we had a ton of fun. worked the whole shoot but ended up working really close assisting on those last big battle shots. was pretty nuts to be that close to something "officially" star wars and have some liberty over it, game or not

double gun chick was my GF at the time too, lol

subrock

That is the most stupid lightsaber I have ever seen.

WHY DO YOU NEED A FLAMING HILT ON A LIGHTSABER.

At what point is that ever going to be useful.

Also what is the dude even doing. He staggers through a wintery forest, goes "Oh shit, trees, I muthafukkin hate these things" and whips out his lightsaber to chop them down.

New Sith is a lumberjack.
Oh I don't know, say someone is trying to cut off your hand?

There is literally zero reason to have CG troopers. They're right there, in regular looking space armour, it was just stupid of Lucas to do it. Other than "they all need to look the same without helmets" which is easily accomplished otherwise, it was pointless.

I understand doing a CG trooper in some kind of crazy stunt or action scene, but he had them be CG just standing around talking. Why?

Because Lucas probably thought he was being a pioneer or something. Green/Blue screen most things. I think it was Ewan McGregor who come out and said he wasn't a fan of his film making process during the prequels.

still not down with that new saber

People keep complaining that the CROSS SABER looks stupid. FIRST OF ALL have you noticed that the Lightsaber actualy seems OVERCHARGED??!!! This Lightsaber is very very different from the usual sabers. Maybe a NEW powerfull type of lightsaber, you can clearly see the light of it kinda electrifying and it really does seem like the Sith or person modified the saber. The side things IN MY OPINION seem to be some sort of EXAUST PIPES so to make the thing not blow up in his hands. This to me is the most logical explanation as to why the saber is done that way.

Ithil

For anyone asking "why not called Episode 7"

1977crawl.jpg

Hey, why is it just called "Star Wars" and not "Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope"?

The whole putting the Episode in the movie title only happened in the prequels. Otherwise it only appeared in the opening crawl of ESB and ROTJ, and the re-release of A New Hope (which actually messed up the cue of Williams' score).

thanks. almost the entire crew was uruguayan and we had a ton of fun. worked the whole shoot but ended up working really close assisting on those last big battle shots. was pretty nuts to be that close to something "officially" star wars and have some liberty over it, game or not

double gun chick was my GF at the time too, lol
Seriously massive kudos dude! That must have been fun as all hell to work on.

Double gun chick is wearing the freakin starting smuggler armor even! The attention to detail is pretty amazing. The business signs are even in Aurebesh!

Say what you want about JJ. I think it's absolutely BANANAS how almost every shot from that trailer looked like a piece of concept art come to life.

This movie is going to be a feast for the eyes.

Those images are incredible, especially the Storm Troopers shot - love the color palette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom