• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars The Force Awakens Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really love his stance/movement as the saber appears.

Yeah, he hunkers over like he knows he's in for some shit.

edit: And while it's honestly a pretty cool move to have everything in this teaser more grounded (not a single shot of space in the whole thing) it's probably more to do with the fact they just finished filming about a month ago and what shots we do have were probably being worked on about a month before that specifically to stick 'em in this trailer.

I'm sure we're going to get more interesting locales and outer-space pew pew :)

so we have a stormtrooper as the lead and this is jedis again?

I really love the idea of the stormtrooper as the lead. But the title of the movie is "The Force Awakens" and immediately the emphasis in the trailer shifts to darkside/lightside stuff.

All this trailer did was scream "Look! It's more Star Wars!" and that might be good enough for some, but to me it means nothing but profitable iconography.

Fliesen

Looks similar to this:

Tusken5.jpg

it totally doesn't, apart from the part we see being long and stick-shaped ;)

Busty

Banned
It was fine. I'm not sure what people were expecting from a teaser trailer that's under 90 seconds long but it was solid enough.

The X-Wings speeding along the water was awesome and it hit all the franchise iconography that would keep the 'neck beard' fans clapping like seals.

I still can't muster any enthusiasm for this and it may not be until I'm actually sitting down to watch it next Xmas that it really kicks in for me. But it was fine.

In saying that I feel like Spader's Ultron vocal performance in the Avengers 2 teaser trailer may just be the pinnacle of trailer teasing going forward.

Absolutely. I hope they don't show Han, Leia or Luke at all. Would be a great surprise in the theater.

My hype for this film is getting to insane levels right now. So much awesomeness in store. How is the Empire back together? Is it even the Empire? Who's running the show? How does the Sith come back? IS IT EVEN THE SITH?!

WHERE'S LUKE!!!???!!!!

The Empire controlled an entire galaxy and was filthy rich. They had a hierarchy. It isn't that hard to figure out why the war is still going on.

Blader

you know, Christensen isn't the worst actor in the world. Not even cumberbatch or James MacAvoy could have done any better with the dull, heartless and campy lines Lucas gave them to work with.

You don't have to be the worst actor in the world to still be a bad actor.

What I loved about the trailer:

The opening shot with John Boyega in the stormtrooper outfit
The new look of the stormtrooper
Really like how Kira Solo looks (If that's the name they are going with)
What she drives looks awesome
I loved the dialogue
Loved the ball droid with a head on top
Loved the bad guy with that lightsaber (I was worried about this at first, before I saw the teaser)
Love the X-Wing, and Millennium Falcon
Loved how it looks so far, and the special effects look extremely awesome.
I love how the worlds, technology, and setting looks

What I didn't like:

I was hoping the TIE fighters would be upgraded, since it's been like 30 years. I hoping they change up the TIE fighters in the movie, and that the ones shown in the trailer aren't the only type of TIE fighters they use.

Which brings me up to the setting. I don't mind natural settings. But I also want to see worlds that are out of this earth. One of my favorite parts of the prequels is that alot of the worlds were different from the Original Trilogy. I just want want a combination.

Overall, I am excited, and very happy. I can't wait for more trailers to show more of the movie. I can't wait for this movie to come out.

FWIW, modern militaries are still using 40 year-old bombers.

The F-14 Tomcat, for example, was in use for over 30 years by the US before being retired in favor of more advanced versions of the F/A 18 Super Hornet. Point being it's entirely normal for well-designed military machines that have proven their worth to remain in service for a long time.

Considering how badly damaged the Empire was over the course of the original trilogy, there's no reason to assume that they'd retire their bread & butter fighters. They're cheap, efficient, and always got the job done. I'm sure we'll see some Tie Advanced-caliber fighters sooner or later. If not in Episode 7, maybe 8 or 9.

Salsa

Yeah, he hunkers over like he knows he's in for some shit.

edit: And while it's honestly a pretty cool move to have everything in this teaser more grounded (not a single shot of space in the whole thing) it's probably more to do with the fact they just finished filming about a month ago and what shots we do have were probably being worked on about a month before that specifically to stick 'em in this trailer.

I'm sure we're going to get more interesting locales and outer-space pew pew :)

to be totally honest i'd be fine with like.. A space setpiece. save that for future films, I want my small-ass character driven adventure scope please

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Well....it was fun, but underwhelming, even for a first look.

Some iconic moments, sure, but nothing 'wow'd me.

jackal27

Banned
Not getting the hate towards anything. Lightsaber looks rad, droid is adorable and we know nothing about it, we know literally nothing about the story or writing, I just know that it FEELS like Star Wars. I am so optimistic and this comes from somebody who was burned so badly by the prequels as a kid.

Gonna go watch the trailer with my fam now, see you guys later.

it's a similar loop-de-loop when they fly into the Asteroid "cave" in Empire. instead of diving down 90° they do a 270° looping.
People flying the falcon love to do these kinds of maneuvers, it seems.

Yeah reminded me of that bit too but I dont remember it being so..crazy. So JJ Abrams.

TheXbox

I'm sure someone else has already thought of this, but maybe the crossguards are like exhaust ports. The blade itself looks pretty fucky, as others have mentioned. We see it strobing and crackling, whereas every other light saber we've seen is sexy and smooth. Maybe this is some POS saber Driver cobbled together, and the crossguards exhaughst unstable energy from the blade.

Or maybe it just looks cool.

Attack of the Clones still looks gorgeous IMO.

Shame we're now stuck with this Abrams hack.

Those screens look like 90s gaming CG.

Abrams' Star Trek and Star Wars looks better.

Edit: oh thatsthejoke.jpg

The other day I gave my 5 year old nephew my copy of Attack of the Clones DVD.

Fliesen

You don't have to be the worst actor in the world to still be a bad actor.

while true, i still stand with it not being Christensen's fault that Anakin Skywalker in Episode 2 and 3 was an obnoxious character and couldn't carry the "hero turned villain" arc Lucas was hoping for.
The "hero" thing died when Anakin committed Sandpeople genocide (he killed their women and children), way before Lucas meant for him to be "corrupted".

Why is anyone trying to figure out the practicality of the Siths lightsaber.....

We are talking about a Universe that has god damned space magic, talking teddy bears, and aliens that look like Muppets.

The saber has the hilts because it looks cool. That is all.

FWIW, modern militaries are still using 40 year-old bombers.

The F-14 Tomcat, for example, was in use for over 30 years by the US before being retired in favor of more advanced versions of the F/A 18 Super Hornet. Point being it's entirely normal for well-designed military machines that have proven their worth to remain in service for a long time.

Considering how badly damaged the Empire was over the course of the original trilogy, there's no reason to assume that they'd retire their bread & butter fighters. They're cheap, efficient, and always got the job done. I'm sure we'll see some Tie Advanced-caliber fighters sooner or later. If not in Episode 7, maybe 8 or 9.

You make alot of good points. I just want to see some advancements with the Empire, I mean it's been 30 years. I hope they take alot of the TIE designs from the Expanded Universe. I'm just happy, because I've been craving a new Star Wars movie since the Prequels, and The Clone Wars tv show.

I too would like a slightly changed TIE fighter.
The X wing got some changes while remaining faithful. The storm troopers got the same treatment. Even the Falcon has the square dish now that visually identifies it as the ep7 Falcon.
I'd like similar treatment for the TIE fighter. As far as I can tell they look the same. Having a visual read that tells me "this is an ep7 TIE" would be nice. Just a small little change would do it. A different texture/strut layout on the "wing" surfaces?

Most of the time fans are clamoring for movies to be more faithful to the source material, but this appears to be so faithful to Star Wars design that I actually am totally okay with more changes!

bDkxvFP.jpg

Kaper

Not a fan of the newly designed X-Wing foils. They seem to fold together into one wing, rather than folding like a sandwich. Unless gif quality and lighting is making it hqrd to discern the foil shapes.

SCReuter

Those look like shit, fuzzy and terrible digital effects. Every shot in this teaser looks better than anything in the prequels.

I'm just joking with you guys. Attack of the Clones has always looked like ass. I'm so glad that era is behind us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom