• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Helpdesk Site: Lots of upcoming games maybe leak, slowly getting confirmed

wazoo

The original 'dying systems' remark was obviously kinda snarky, but there's still worlds of difference between PC and consoles in that regard.

Of course, it was, I confess ;) Nobody wants to accept the fact that his new shiny 300E box is short lived, but platform longevity is related to manufacturer support, not on how long the hardware can survive. I am pretty sure you can find some pre-NES console units in working stage, it does not change the fact that as a platform, they are dead.

Kyougar

Oh come on. That makes no sense seriously. You're talking about a potential scenario against a scenario which repeats every generation.

ACTUALLY! The heat Death of the universe is not a potential scenario, it is REAL.

But thats 13 times 1000 Billion years away. (If I remember right, 1000 times the age of the universe)
Thats Future-Us' Problem tho.

Maxim726X

Is there any way that HL3 won't be underwhelming at this point?

Anyway, amazing that so many RPGs are coming to Steam. We are inching closer to a consoleless future.

Mozendo

I didn't notice that Stranger of Sword City and Ray Gigant is on the database.
Man, now I have to question if I should get them on Vita or PC

madjoki

Gears of war isnt on there. So highly likely what everyone thought the xbox store only.

Microsoft has used codenames in past, it means nothing. But that's still real possibility.

I'm of course joking a bit. Regardless, just because a platform is not supported doesn't mean the games go away.

With these days of day one patches to even launch game, it isn't entirely impossible that some games will go away, if servers are shutdown (or more likely, changed in a way that older consoles won't connect anymore).

Arjac

image.php
I admit the bit where they couldn't do it is speculation based on their recent offerings being,
  • A gaming focused OS that doesn't run games well
  • A paid mod system that threatened to break Skyrim's community.
  • Opening steam's floodgates for 100s of shovelware titles.
  • A controller that tries to be the best of a controller and KB+M, and for many people fails at both.

As for facts
  1. That's terror
  2. As a private company, valve is under no obligation to increase its market share, so long as it remains profitable.
  3. TF2, DOTA2, and CS:GO have all consistently been among the most played titles on steam, despite TF2 being 8 years old.
  4. Steam continues to hold the majority market share for PC games.

and, while I can't find conclusive evidence on this, it looks like average dev cost for a AAA game, before marketing and such, averages around 40-60 million USD

Corpekata

Banned
Bumping for slight speculation. I remembered today that Ghostlight has been teasing a Japanese action game but wouldn't give much clues beyond it being one of their more requested titles.

Anything from the leak fit? I'd wager on Earth Defense Force being a possibility.

Deceitful-Fox

Neo Member
I'm of course joking a bit. Regardless, just because a platform is not supported doesn't mean the games go away. And just because something exists on PC doesn't mean it's playable forever. For example, before GOG rereleased Toonstruck, there was no way of getting it to play on XP or higher reliably. There were some workarounds, but seemingly no one cared enough about the game to publicly release a fan patch. I remember one other game I tried to play wouldn't install because I didn't have 8MB of virtual memory, despite having GBs of the actual stuff. PCs have a generational cycle too, through operating systems, and not everything that worked on the old systems transfers smoothly to the new setups. Windows 3.1 gaming is dead, and Windows 10 gaming will die too.

Even in the most extreme case it is always possible to set up a virtual system running on the correct operating system. So no, it is a rare game indeed--in fact I can't think of a single one--which simply cannot run on modern hardware. If you want to play it badly enough, there is always a way on PC.

K.Sabot

Just seeing this list, Code of Princess would be a good game if it ran well on the 3ds imo. Will be happy to rebuy on PC, was a lot of fun.

Bumping for slight speculation. I remembered today that Ghostlight has been teasing a Japanese action game but wouldn't give much clues beyond it being one of their more requested titles.

Anything from the leak fit? I'd wager on Earth Defense Force being a possibility.

Well to be honest, Ghostlight said they were in talk. It'd be too early to appear on Steamdb. Its likely EDF 4.1 is handled by XSeed.

No way that isn't an XSEED release. Everyone has been begging for El Shaddai, which would fit, though I don't think it is listed under that name in the database.

Yaari

Some stuff on there I'd definitely want, but what kind of schedule would we be looking at? I'm new to this. Could this be like more than 3 months out?

injurai

Banned
Is there any way that HL3 won't be underwhelming at this point?

If the landscape of first-person shooter campaigns is anything to go buy, and Valve is at the helming forced to follow up the series with at least it's staple elements. I don't see how it can't deliver wildly in the gameplay department.

I feel people set themselves up for disappointment more than anything Valve has done by their own hands. Seriously, fans diluting the wait is part of why Valve is in media silence, and they made it clear on multiple times they had to first strike while the iron was hot on other projects in the interim until HL3 was released.

I haven't checked out this thread in a while and now it is too long to read the whole thing. Can someone sum up what we know about Bad Rats Show?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wouldn't expect Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, if only to keep expectations low.

The app had very recently been active, and quite a bit, when the leak happened. The Halo games, on the other hand, had long been gathering dust by the time they were discovered.

MUnited83

For you.
I wouldn't expect Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, if only to keep expectations low.

Honestly i think it's pretty much a lock. With the creation of the database entry being so recent (less than two months ago) and with Sony starting publishing games on PC themselves with Helldivers... i think it's a question of when rather than if.

We can only cross our hands given it's a cryengine game that would sing with good hardware. Runs at 20 fps on the PS4 with constant hitching and terrible AA

Edit: Hands? Lol

The app had very recently been active, and quite a bit, when the leak happened. The Halo games, on the other hand, had long been gathering dust by the time they were discovered.

Why? Sony funded games are already on STEAM. Helldivers and SFV are standing nice and pretty.

Honestly i think it's pretty much a lock. With the creation of the database entry being so recent (less than two months ago) and with Sony starting publishing games on PC themselves with Helldivers... i think it's a question of when rather than if.

I feel special. <3

Forgot/didn't remember the app had been active.

Nice pic, JaseC.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Technically, Halo did come to "fruition" if you count Spartan Assault. :x

Aselith

Holy shit, missed this. If that's all true, that's AMAZING. Stranger of Sword City should be a fantastic addition to an underrepresented genre + dat EDF

MarkJames

Neo Member
I didn't buy Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD on PS3 because it didn't have Japanese voices with english subtitles, but maybe now after waiting 3 years, I'll finally be able to play the version I want.

Do we have an updated list of what games have been confirmed so far?

Not that many..

- Bad Rats = announced
- Arslan Musou = rated by ESRB
- Turok = on store
- Guilty Gear XRD = on store
- Final Fantasy VI = on store

Please add/correct if needed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nice pic, JaseC.

I'm late to this and have since changed it, but thanks. ;)

Lollipop Chainsaw

The app itself doesn't seem to have been touched for like two years though, so it might be a port that was in progress and then cancelled.

None of the recorded changes are specific to the app*, so, yeah, it's as dead as a doornail. Grasshopper owns the game, so my wild guess is that it began work on a port on its own accord, as something of a side-project, but development was cancelled soon after GungHo bought the company.

* Well, the last one is, but obviously a changenumber reverting to 1 is a bug.

Top Bottom