• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

Bundle-Zeug

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Soulbringer -- MB-7C64E80CC3916E1F
Gun Metal -- MB-C9E0B9AB704635C0
Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi -- MB-F1745A6B9D540FBA

t1404589818z1.png

Hugstable

Banned
Megaton.
Why give away one game when you can give all the games?

There should be a new Modbot Rule exclusively for JaseC, Supreme Giver or something like that.

And now for something completely different; Shovel Knight looks awesome. Any SteamGaffers with impressions?

Buy it! If you like classic platformers like Megaman or Castlevania, buy this game now! I'm decently far in the game so far, but everything is just filled with nostalgia, and the music is some top level 8-bit style tunes. The levels are usually alot longer than your older platforming game, but they also have checkpoints to help with that. But if you're also feeling brave you can just take out the checkpoints with your Shovel and play like a true Shovel Knight! Some say it's easy, but I've found the difficulty to be pretty hard in some area for myself, but that might be in part because I play with no checkpoints.

BruteUA

I better get some popcorn going, this is going to get real fun. There's plenty of room here on the sidelines with me. Maybe there'll be some bans.

Sendou

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Thomas Was Alone -- MB-A82BB67E02E14543 - Taken by Chezzymann

Something that was never claimed.

Tizoc

Well here are the results
_hekk05 claimed your Killer is Dead key. There were 111 entrants.
xptoxyz claimed your Strider key. There were 86 entrants.
Nete claimed your The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt key. There were 187 entrants.

Congrats o the winners =)
...no one entered for Torchlight?

Since I've the space to use, I thought this might be fun:

If anybody thinks they can attempt to get away with submitting a support ticket with Valve to claim ownership, I can only say that I've been using the same PayPal account and the same debit card for the past several years, and have many physical copies of games to submit as evidence...

...so, basically, don't be stupid. You won't get far. Be smart, though, and, well, you'll more or less never have to pay for another Steam game again.

Good luck.

Do you have Outrun?
That's what is important.

Chris R

So wait, Family Sharing is live? I'm looking at the menu but don't see how I give my brother access to my account and have him give me access to his?

Do I have to go to his computer and log into my account on it and Authorize it?

Turfster

Wait. I thought it was just had given away a minimum of 25 games period, but it has to have been in the last 3 months too?

Yes.

So wait, Family Sharing is live? I'm looking at the menu but don't see how I give my brother access to my account and have him give me access to his?

Do I have to go to his computer and log into my account on it and Authorize it?

Yep.
You need to go to his computer, log into your account, authorize it and authorize the other account on the computer

Levyne

Banned
Steam noob question.

bW0T3tG.png

How do I get a non-steam game to show the game name here? It used to work but then I moved the game folder to a new location (outside of program files) and even though the steam overlay and everything else seems normal now I've lost this tag here so it shows up blank.

And is there any way to move screenshots from BLANK to the proper location? For instance, I have some screenshots for Dragon Age: Origins (Origin version through steam) tagged with "Dragon Age: Origins" but some others seem stuck under "BLANK"

How are you going about making those if you don't mind me asking. I followed this guide yet still doesn't work for me. Also the second one is great.

downloaded stuff here :
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
extract etc.
put the stuff you want to convert in /bin
open ff-prompt.bat
for the same quality than my webms type :

ffmpeg -i input_file.avi (can be .mp4 etc) -codec:v libvpx -quality good -cpu-used 0 -b:v 1000k -maxrate 1000k -bufsize 1200k -qmin 10 -qmax 42 -vf scale=-1:720 -threads 4 -codec:a vorbis -b:a 128k output_file.webm

if you want to convert only a specific part of a video after input_file.avi insert "-ss 00:00:00.000 (starting point) -to 00:00:00.000 (end point)

source :
https://www.virag.si/2012/01/webm-web-video-encoding-tutorial-with-ffmpeg-0-9/

EDIT : see post below for the good stuff

Parsnip

so since i started using shadowplay i tried to make some webms, still need to figure out how to make the quality not shit though (these have sound if you're at work (stop browsing neogaf))

How are you going about making those if you don't mind me asking. I followed this guide yet still doesn't work for me. Also the second one is great.
I have used Alo81's setting from here before.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108608517&postcount=462

pahamrick

Yes.

Yep.
You need to go to his computer, log into your account, authorize it and authorize the other account on the computer

Well crap.

In an effort to encourage people giving away stuff other than bundle trash, I've recently added an option to limit giveaways to people who have given 25 games or more themselves. The option is in the OP as MEGAGIVERSONLY.

Along with this change, the counter that counts whether you've given away a game only counts games given away in the last 3 months. The reason for this is to prevent someone abusively giving away low impact games all at once and then reap the benefits of exclusive high-cost raffles thereafter. The downside is that well-meaning people will cycle off, the upside is that the cost to continue abusing for abusers is higher than it would have been otherwise.

That explains a lot. So now I know not to bother entering mega giver giveaways for the foreseeable future.

New rule. Slackers get left behind.

Out of work people too. Oh well.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Steam Family Sharing says that only one person can use the library at a time. Is JaseC one of those people that never actually plays games?

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Buy it! If you like classic platformers like Megaman or Castlevania, buy this game now! I'm decently far in the game so far, but everything is just filled with nostalgia, and the music is some top level 8-bit style tunes. The levels are usually alot longer than your older platforming game, but they also have checkpoints to help with that. But if you're also feeling brave you can just take out the checkpoints with your Shovel and play like a true Shovel Knight! Some say it's easy, but I've found the difficulty to be pretty hard in some area for myself, but that might be in part because I play with no checkpoints.
You can destroy checkpoints? lol
Sounds awesome, I might just bite. Thanks for the write-up. :)

And I kinda suck at platformers, even though I really like them, so it's probably a good thing if it's not extremely punishing.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You are welcome mate. Apologies for the message in there, as I wrote random stuff just to have it sent to my e-mail quick heh ^^;

oh people get the same message that you sent to yourself when you use links in giveaways? I guess that makes sense

guess a lot of people saw my super thoughtful message I always use:

name: X

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Steam Family Sharing says that only one person can use the library at a time. Is JaseC one of those people that never actually plays games?

I'll idle if the cards are worth something, but even so I intend to work with the winner so that our schedules don't always fight. Otherwise, though, no, I pretty much don't play games.

dex3108

Steam noob question.

bW0T3tG.png

How do I get a non-steam game to show the game name here? It used to work but then I moved the game folder to a new location (outside of program files) and even though the steam overlay and everything else seems normal now I've lost this tag here so it shows up blank.

And is there any way to move screenshots from BLANK to the proper location? For instance, I have some screenshots for Dragon Age: Origins (Origin version through steam) tagged with "Dragon Age: Origins" but some others seem stuck under "BLANK"

For me it works when i upload pictures from SS Manager and when i choose game from drop down menu. Name won't show up if you upload pictures from SS Manager and if you choose Last Session.

Ozium

Bundle-Zeug

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Soulbringer -- MB-7C64E80CC3916E1F
Gun Metal -- MB-C9E0B9AB704635C0
Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi -- MB-F1745A6B9D540FBA - Taken by Pickles Spill. 1 entrants total.

t1404589818z1.png

nosferatu is good guys

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

you cant play the same game at the same time but you can play different games. I think? otherwise its pointless (well not in JaseC's case since he doesnt play games, but in general)

Chris R

Yep.

How do I authorize the other account? In the menu I see an option to "Authorize this Computer" but nothing about accounts.

Also, does it matter that I use Steam on three computers myself? Or would he only need to log into one of my machines to get access to my account?

City 17

I'm not eligible but it should be fun with lots of giveaways on the way for the next 24 hrs as some would want to become eligible.

Just a reminder to those guys: bundle trash might not work anymore, choose wisely or you'd risk your chances of becoming eligible.

Mokoi

Banned
downloaded stuff here :
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/
extract etc.
put the stuff you want to convert in /bin
open ff-prompt.bat
for the same quality than my webms type :

ffmpeg -i input_file.avi (can be .mp4 etc) -codec:v libvpx -quality good -cpu-used 0 -b:v 1000k -maxrate 1000k -bufsize 1200k -qmin 10 -qmax 42 -vf scale=-1:720 -threads 4 -codec:a vorbis -b:a 128k output_file.webm

if you want to convert only a specific part of a video after input_file.avi insert "-ss 00:00:00.000 (starting point) -to 00:00:00.000 (end point)

source :
https://www.virag.si/2012/01/webm-web-video-encoding-tutorial-with-ffmpeg-0-9/

EDIT : see post below for the good stuff

Thanks for the help. Hopefully it goes well for me.

Since I've the space to use, I thought this might be fun:

If anybody thinks they can attempt to get away with submitting a support ticket with Valve to claim ownership, I can only say that I've been using the same PayPal account and the same debit card for the past several years, and have many physical copies of games to submit as evidence...

...so, basically, don't be stupid. You won't get far. Be smart, though, and, well, you'll more or less never have to pay for another Steam game again.

Good luck.

Finally I'll have access to an account with Pat & Mat.

you cant play the same game at the same time but you can play different games. I think? otherwise its pointless (well not in JaseC's case since he doesnt play games, but in general)

No, if the main user is playing any game a secondary user can't play anything from the main user's library.

Shadownet

Banned
Dont say that stuff. People have been banned for that son.

oops sorry mods.

-------------

Btw Ive been sending money to russian sellers to buy games through paypal. paying directly through my bank account. how come when I checked my bank. no money have been taken out yet?? I still have all my money 0.o

does paypal wait till like the end of the month or something to take it all at once?

Turfster

To celebrate, I'm watching Violet & Daisy.
Hope it's good (apart from having Sawhorse Roaming)

Nope, it's any game. As soon as account holder starts a game, the other person gets a "You have 5 minutes to get out or buy the game" style prompt.

Hugstable

Banned
You can destroy checkpoints? lol
Sounds awesome, I might just bite. Thanks for the write-up. :)

And I kinda suck at platformers, even though I really like them, so it's probably a good thing if it's not extremely punishing.

Yeah that's what I really like about how they set up that checkpoint system, really gives the player the choice on deciding how punishing they wants the game to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom