• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
What game do you even need a 970 for that a 660ti wont do? I'm still using a 560ti and all the latest games run fine at medium-high settings

Yep, I still am using a 560Ti as well and I see no need to upgrade at all right now for me. But then, I buy games well behind the curve usually too. I'll be buying today's new games in a year or two when they have Gold Master Legendary Editions on sale for 75% off. The only "new" game I bought this year was honestly Banished, almost all of my other game purchases were games from previous years or new games that are very graphics light.

I think I'm at the point now where I game very frugally. That might be a result of my huge backlog of games, half of which I've not ever even installed yet. Why would I pay $340 for a GTX970 to then buy a few modern games for $59.99 each when I still have over 150 games to even install and try out yet? And most of my gaming time anyway is spent with games I already own.

I can easily afford the new shit, I just can't spare the time to make it worth it because I have too many other games to play. And a three year old game is still "new" to me when I play it for the first time...

xBladeM6x

I'm ok with running shit at 30fps if I have to.

2531198-5696185166-bunk-.gif

Kidding

It must be nice to not care about IQ, I've been chasing the SGSSAA/high resolution high for a bit now. Soon I'll be buying 4 980Tis ;-;

Goodbye money!

not getting replies in the PC thread :(
I have a SSD for my OS (120GB peasant)
what's a good drive for my apps and stuff?
1TB SSHD?

Yeah that should be fine. It all depends on your drive habits. If you're a beat and delete kind of guy then 1TB should be fine. I have a 2TB and I'm running out but I never delete games and stuff.

Uzzy

not getting replies in the PC thread :(
I have a SSD for my OS (120GB peasant)
what's a good drive for my apps and stuff?
1TB SSHD?

Personally, I just go for as big a mechanical hard drive as I can afford.

Just to make things perfectly clear: I am aware that there is a PC port of Final Fantasy 13. Despite my best efforts, I have failed you. I am sorry.

From spoony experiment

Goddess 1 - 0 Spoony

KingDirk

So the steam page says FFIV has cards, but Idle Master isn't recognizing anything and I'm not seeing anything in my badges section. Anybody know what's up?

r3n4ud

Yep, I still am using a 560Ti as well and I see no need to upgrade at all right now for me. But then, I buy games well behind the curve usually too. I'll be buying today's new games in a year or two when they have Gold Master Legendary Editions on sale for 75% off. The only "new" game I bought this year was honestly Banished, almost all of my other game purchases were games from previous years or new games that are very graphics light.

I think I'm at the point now where I game very frugally. That might be a result of my huge backlog of games, half of which I've not ever even installed yet. Why would I pay $340 for a GTX970 to then buy a few modern games for $59.99 each when I still have over 150 games to even install and try out yet? And most of my gaming time anyway is spent with games I already own.

I can easily afford the new shit, I just can't spare the time to make it worth it because I have too many other games to play. And a three year old game is still "new" to me when I play it for the first time...

Ya, this is the husband my wife wants me to be. But alas, I'm not as I just picked up a 970 and going to fucking love it and the new releases :p

Do you want to play games or wait months for one or two potentially good ones while oogling trailers and GIFs, then play them a week, then wait again? I almost can't believe how useless my PS4 has turned out to be, just got finished with the Infamous DLC and in two weeks Driveclub after not playing anything for six months. Next stop Bloodborne in another five months. Well, okay, I could get Destiny. Heh.

Well, if he buys it now he has a lot of catching up to do which should keep him busy until Bloodborne. Then there's The Order and FF Type-0 right after (if those games interest him).
I think he's the only one who can make that decision.

Right now I'm having the same dilemma, upgrade for TW3 or buy a PS4 for Bloodborne.
The difference here is I can play both games on PS4 and that's a pretty big difference.
I'm perfectly fine with how multiplats look and perform on PS4. Last gen we had sub-hd and terrible frame-rates on consoles but with PS4 it's 1080p with mostly high settings and in some cases even 60fps (or if it's 30 it's a damn solid 30).

rtcn63

Just to make things perfectly clear: I am aware that there is a PC port of Final Fantasy 13. Despite my best efforts, I have failed you. I am sorry.

From spoony experiment

iT5Ph2OtX9UFf.gif

EDIT: I have a WD Caviar Black that's been going strong for at least five years. For storage, I'd just use cheap Greens or whatever's on sale.

Knurek

So, just had a first BSOD in few years, while installing the newest NVIDIA drivers.
Is this common? Went without a hitch the second time I've tried, and I had a media player and Steam open at the first time...
Was genuinely surprising to see that, three years with Win7 and you kind of forget that the thing even exists in the first place...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ya, this is the husband my wife wants me to be. But alas, I'm not as I just picked up a 970 and going to fucking love it and the new releases :p

I think for me, it's a combination of three things that put me into this frugal mode I've been in:

1. huge game backlog that I want to spend time with, most of which I've not even installed yet
2. huge catalog of games I already own on PC and older consoles that I still play or want to play again
3. I am looking into getting solar panels for my house and a few other improvements, so I'm in "savings" mode

That said, I did just spend over $300 to buy me a G27 racing wheel and TrackIR 5, so my willpower DOES have limits....

I think for me, it's a combination of three things that put me into this frugal mode I've been in:

1. huge game backlog that I want to spend time with, most of which I've not even installed yet
2. huge catalog of games I already own on PC and older consoles that I still play or want to play again
3. I am looking into getting solar panels for my house and a few other improvements, so I'm in "savings" mode

That said, I did just spend over $300 to buy me a G27 racing wheel and TrackIR 5, so my willpower DOES have limits....

That's undestandable. Most games in my backlog run completely maxed out on my current PC so if I didn't intend to buy any new games I wouldn't even think about it.
Problem is I need TW3 on day 1 and not looking half-assed or with a crappy frame-rate.
If you don't have a game that will eat at you for not being able to play it forget the upgrade for now, don't let the hype from others make you buy something you don't need.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Zalusithix, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Zalusithix, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Wasteland 2 -- MB-6C6C0A0A401039C3 - Taken by gabrielt16. 64 entrants total.

t1411145190z1.png

autoduelist

If you are really into combat mechanics, I'd recommend FFXIII. It essentially 'automates' the obvious stuff (attack, attack, attack, heal spamming, for example) and your characters even learn enemy weaknesses (fire, ice, whatever) through combat. That solves a common problem I have with most jrpgs, where then next move in combat is always obvious. Now, in allowing your characters to choose the smartest move automatically, they needed to shift the gameplay. So now you're in charge of actively choosing the current 'paradigm' for your characters (combat, healer, buffer, debuffer, etc) and they'll act intelligently within said paradigm. Add some timing mechanisms in there, some special moves, and a few other features and you end up with a fresh, innovative, exciting take on combat. Many love it (including me).

It's biggest issue is that it unlocks slowly. It's complex, so it makes sense they didn't drop a the full combat system on you in the first chapter. Many games dole out features over time. But... FFXIII takes a very, very long time to do so - like maybe 10x too long. You'll be ten hours in and still won't have all combat mechanics unlocked (while traversing long tunnels).

FFXIII definitely has pacing issues, plot issues, and some other problems... but imo it's still very much worth it if (and that's a big if) you can push past the beginning hours.

derExperte

Well, if he buys it now he has a lot of catching up to do which should keep him busy until Bloodborne.

Depends on if we're talking about exclusives or multiplats and it looks like he's more about the former. I'd advice against Knack so there's really only Infamous plus DLC, Resogun, Killzone and Driveclub. Maybe MGS:GZ, Hohokum and Velocity 2X. Destiny? Oh, The Last of Us Remaster if someone hasn't played it already. You can get through most of those rather quickly. And The Order sure looks gorgeous but it'll probably end up being a short weekend-snack. This time next year things might look different but right now I find it hard to recommend a PS4 only based on the promise of things to come, PS+ isn't nearly on the same quality level that it was for PS3 either.

Plus with a 970 you can max out all those Xbox ports like DR3, Ryse and the Master Chief Collection (....). ;)

Can I have your 970 when you get your free 980? ;)

Deal.

Yup, it's a pretty similar situation that I'm in. Part of the thing here is also that I really enjoy the lack of commitment that comes with gaming on a tight budget. Sure I can afford $60 games, but if I drop $60 on a game I have this feeling like "I must put X hours into this game to really get my monies worth." Paying for expensive GPUs or full price games makes me feel bad about not gaming, and while I enjoy gaming as an every now and then hobby I don't really need that feeling to guilt me into playing more. Buying games from AAA to indie for $1-$5 in bundles or on sale means that I pretty much never have to feel bad about playing for a half hour saying "this isn't exactly my cup of tea" and tossing it to the curb. It's a freeing feeling to be gaming on the cheap.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I also apparently already own Space Hack. Quote for a key.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
damn, even i already have space hack, and i dont have memory of this

It was given out for free for 24 hours when it launched on Steam.

Vuze

It seems like I'm in a pretty small minority in the way I consume my games.

I play PC exclusive games on PC. I play PS4 exclusive games AND multiplatforms on PS4, because I have Gamefly. Sure, Steam has good deals, but with Gamefly, I spend a little over $10 a month and get to play all the retail games: Mordor, Alien, Creed, Batman, etc.

As far as smaller/downloadable games, I get them cheaper on steam (unless they happen to come to PS+ or something while I wait).

Sure, the versions of the new releases aren't necessarily quite as good as the PC versions, but with the consoles being new, they're as close as they're going to be (will be a harder choice in a couple years when ps4 lags behind more), which is more than enough for most releases.

I have no Gamefly or anything around here and have thus never bothered even looking into game swapping and the like, so I can't really relate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom