• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2014 - Nice thread. Btw, Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What game do you even need a 970 for that a 660ti wont do? I'm still using a 560ti and all the latest games run fine at medium-high settings

"Fine" (ie, no where close to 60)

"Medium-High"

Not to mention SGSSAA and downsampling which are very performance heavy. Hell, I'll probably be getting a 4K monitor soon.

What game do you even need a 970 for that a 660ti wont do? I'm still using a 560ti and all the latest games run fine at medium-high settings

I didn't get into PC gaming for medium high. :p

The Witcher 3, AC Unity, and a bunch of other upcoming games are going to murder the 660ti. I think I'm getting the 970.

derExperte

What do you think SteamGAF, should I buy a 970 to replace my 660ti or a PS4 for Bloodborne?

Do you want to play games or wait months for one or two potentially good ones while oogling trailers and GIFs, then play them a week, then wait again? I almost can't believe how useless my PS4 has turned out to be, just got finished with the Infamous DLC and in two weeks Driveclub after not playing anything for six months. Next stop Bloodborne in another five months. Well, okay, I could get Destiny. Heh.

The Witcher 3, AC Unity, and a bunch of other upcoming games are going to murder the 660ti. I think I'm getting the 970.

It's the better option if you're not planning on playing multiplatform games on the PS4.

I want a 970 or 980 but my 770 4GB is still trucking along fine. Maybe I'll sell my GPU to my friend who's building his first PC and pay out of pocket for the rest of the 970 or 980.

Or I'll hold out for 20nm.

KingKong

"Fine" (ie, no where close to 60)

"Medium-High"

Not to mention SGSSAA and downsampling which are very performance heavy. Hell, I'll probably be getting a 4K monitor soon.

Well I assume if the 560ti runs at medium-high, the 660ti should have no problems with 60 fps high

Grief.exe

Ooooh I'm soooo jelly. I'll probably get one early-mid next year. Hopefully I get it in time for the witcher 3.

You'll probably be looking at the new series from AMD or 980 ti.

some people like to go big or go home

<----

I loved my 560ti. Recently upped to a 290x and ....yeah.... it's glorious.

560 ti is so good.

Technically I could have stuck it out with that card, but I want to get a 1440p monitor.

xBladeM6x

Well I assume if the 560ti runs at medium-high, the 660ti should have no problems with 60 fps high

This is pretty much the case. I have been using a 660 Ti for almost 2 years, and it's been showing it's age for about 6 months. It's a really good mid-range card, and plays most everything at high / ultra at 60 fps, until you start getting into newer games / next gen games. That's when you start getting frame drops and shit like that. It's a good card, but it's simply getting old, and I really am looking forward to upgrading to a 980 now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af02LkDg0ms

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (salazar547, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Skullgirls -- MB-BD22078BE62436AC - Taken by AsylumX. 29 entrants total.

t1411148610z1.png

aku:jiki

Definitely going to be there day 1 for Outland. Heard so many good things about that game.
Sounds like it's time for you to hear some bad then!

It's style over substance, the story (specifically the ending) sucks hard, the combat is uninteresting, the "metroidvania aspects" are very lightweight and unengaging and the "shmup aspects" are so close to non-existant that them using it in marketing seemed like a joke.

Zafir

Damn. 400€ (~$500) for GTX970 in Finland :(
Hopefully that drops after early adopters buy them as thats like 100€ too much.
And I thought the UK prices were meh in comparison to the US ones. :/

I'm torn on the 970. I want one so I can get a higher frame rate at 1440p, but they're quite dear and I don't have a lot of excess cash at the moment. Probably wait a bit to see if they drop.

Jadax

Throughout this Nvidia love-in, I'm sitting on my bed clutching my laptop with its gt 520m...so close to dumping this thing and buying a new laptop - or maybe even my first ever gaming pc!

Throughout this Nvidia love-in, I'm sitting on my bed clutching my laptop with its gt 520m...so close to dumping this thing and buying a new laptop - or maybe even my first ever gaming pc!

You should definitely consider that PC. Unless portability is your number 1 requirement it's extremely difficult to recommend a laptop. The price/performance ratio is abysmal.

derExperte

Well, DR3 runs bad even on my 760 because is a horrible port, maybe with new Nvidia driver the game will be playable with no problems, dunno.

I only ran around a few minutes but it feels much better with the new drivers on my 660 (plus no crashes). Still going to wait for the 970 before continuing.

The game will probably crash less often, though.

Correct. http://steamcommunity.com/app/265550/discussions/0/613936673373046647/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, DR3 runs bad even on my 760 because is a horrible port, maybe with new Nvidia driver the game will be playable with no problems, dunno.

The release notes don't mention DR3 at all:

Game Ready
Best gaming experience for Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, The Evil Within, F1 2014, and Alien: Isolation

New GeForce GPUs
Supports the new GeForce GTX 980 and GTX 970 GPUs, based upon the second-generation Maxwell architecture

Gaming Technology
Supports G-SYNC technology and NVIDIA G-SYNC Surround configurations

The game will probably crash less often, though.

Vuze

What do you think SteamGAF, should I buy a 970 to replace my 660ti or a PS4 for Bloodborne?

Get a 970 now if you want to upgrade your IQ and performance and a cheap PS4 in two years or so when there are actually enough exclusives that justify the purchase. Wouldn't even think about buying a 300€+ PS4 for a second at this point.

she has her boobs out and dat ass sticking out of a net cause she's making a statement about politics and the current situation in the middle east. The curve of her butt is a direct correlation to her past and the torture she's been through. The reason why it's perky is because of all the running she had to do to escape. it's quite brilliant and really makes her character complex.

Internet cookie for you sir!

Grief.exe

I will probably end up getting a PS4 for Bloodborne, but I know it will end up going unused.

With Square and Konami shifting strategies that doesn't leave too much left to interest me. I will probably end up getting Persona 5 next year, and maybe Uncharted 4, though I didn't like Last of Us all that much.

I still think the WiiU is the strongest current-gen console by a wide margin. Such a shame it's underperforming at retail.

Yea I installed the new nvidia drivers and crashing is definitely gone. Performance might be up a bit but I didn't have an fps counter running so I can't say for sure.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I will probably end up getting a PS4 for Bloodborne, but I know it will end up going unused.

With Square and Konami shifting strategies that doesn't leave too much left to interest me. I will probably end up getting Persona 5 next year, and maybe Uncharted 4, though I didn't like Last of Us all that much.

I still think the WiiU is the strongest current-gen console by a wide margin. Such a shame it's underperforming at retail.

I completely agree and I'm in the same boat. If Square Enix doesn't announce Final Fantasy Type-0 HD / Final Fantasy XV / Kingdom Hearts 3
(yeah right)
for PC, then I'm buying a PS4 with no regrets.

Get a 970 now if you want to upgrade your IQ and performance and a cheap PS4 in two years or so when there are actually enough exclusives that justify the purchase. Wouldn't even think about buying a 300€+ PS4 for a second at this point.

It seems like I'm in a pretty small minority in the way I consume my games.

I play PC exclusive games on PC. I play PS4 exclusive games AND multiplatforms on PS4, because I have Gamefly. Sure, Steam has good deals, but with Gamefly, I spend a little over $10 a month and get to play all the retail games: Mordor, Alien, Creed, Batman, etc.

As far as smaller/downloadable games, I get them cheaper on steam (unless they happen to come to PS+ or something while I wait).

Sure, the versions of the new releases aren't necessarily quite as good as the PC versions, but with the consoles being new, they're as close as they're going to be (will be a harder choice in a couple years when ps4 lags behind more), which is more than enough for most releases.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I want a ps4 in february, but only if I finish DS2 by then

Anteater

It seems like I'm in a pretty small minority in the way I consume my games.

I play PC exclusive games on PC. I play PS4 exclusive games AND multiplatforms on PS4, because I have Gamefly. Sure, Steam has good deals, but with Gamefly, I spend a little over $10 a month and get to play all the retail games: Mordor, Alien, Creed, Batman, etc.

As far as smaller/downloadable games, I get them cheaper on steam (unless they happen to come to PS+ or something while I wait).

Sure, the versions of the new releases aren't necessarily quite as good as the PC versions, but with the consoles being new, they're as close as they're going to be (will be a harder choice in a couple years when ps4 lags behind more), which is more than enough for most releases.

There are no rental services here for me so yeah, that's probably the biggest factor, I rely on steam sales and ps+ (I haven't been subscribing to it tho since I think I've played most I wanted to on ps3).

Parsnip

I was considering 970 for a moment, but it's not big enough leap from 760 (to me anyway) for its price. Maybe if I hadn't just bought a new monitor and SSD, I might.

Anyone else having problems downloading games from Steam? It's very irregular for me right now.

Bad day, I want to play Wasteland 2 but have to go through an 8 GB update :S

agniswarm

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Eve Online Explorer Addon -- MB-B8E40957805E6068
Eve Online 30 day Trial -- MB-DAFBF1A407C2A966
Eve Online Industrialist Addon -- MB-4C2C1D0C1478E9FF - Taken by SSPssp
Eve Online Colonist Addon -- MB-D90536AFD2455982
Gun Monkeys -- MB-F8C5B33C85D0AB4C
Canyon Capers -- MB-E0B2BDBAC94E7EC8 - Taken by bkw
Eve Online Skirmisher Addon -- MB-48499682F8786029

Enjoy..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom