• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September II 2014 - Ride the Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

I'm sure we will get the codes.
eventually. Surely they won't scam us out of the codes. lol

How many gaffers does it take to flip the world's biggest table?

It's actually not that difficult. If you can eliminate his
bodyguards
and find his weaknesses. It should be fairly easy to
fight him, get his health down and then brand him when his health is low.
Though it does take a while since
There are 4.

I see, that I can do but...
branding wile being swarmed by enemies is gonna be tough especially if they have the heavies that you can't counter and I've been getting my hit streak reset because of them =_=

Shadownet

Banned
The revenge thing for other players in Mordor is quite the nice touch. Also I'm loving the battle system. The more powerful I get, the more fun it is to get into an orgy of orcs with Captains popping in and slaughtering them all. I got so sidetracked by racking up Power and killing the Captains that I didn't progress much in the story though.

Yeah I didn't even think that was a feature in Shadow of Mordor. It's a nice little touch. Though I think it would have been a tiny bit better if once you kill an Orc and avenge your friend. Your friend would receive a message saying that they have been avenged by blah blah.

Though I guess that wouldn't make sense if the Orc is still alive in their world but not the yours.

Edit:
I see, that I can do but...
branding wile being swarmed by enemies is gonna be tough especially if they have the heavies that you can't counter and I've been getting my hit streak reset because of them =_=

What I usually do is try to eliminate the bodyguards. Then lure the Warchief out of the area to somewhere secluded, then I fight him there. About those unblockable attacks, I think you can still evade them. There is also a skill you learn later on that let you take 1 hit without resetting your counter. It's a life saver. I do think you should try and max out your skill tree before you attempt a Warchief though. It really help.

Zafir

Yeah I didn't even think that was a feature in Shadow of Mordor. It's a nice little touch. Though I think it would have been a tiny bit better if once you kill an Orc and avenge your friend. Your friend would receive a message saying that they have been avenged by blah blah.

Though I guess that wouldn't make sense if the Orc is still alive in their world but not the yours.

Well you do get a message saying you've been avenged but no name. Not sure why they didn't include names really.

Whats weird was I seemed to them for people not even on my friends list. I guess it takes into account groups too or something.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
wow what a great deal
Ng5THHt.png

jeYedJo.png

*rolleyes*

i see, the cheapest of the three games is individually being sold for 7.49. what a scam.

Khronico

Holy CRAP Euro Truck Sim 2 is fun. I just booted it up and played for 1 straight hour this morning. I can't quite nail down specifics on why I enjoy it so much, there's just this comfy feeling about driving across Europe in a truck while streaming a classic rock radio station from Manchester. I'm actually driving like I would in real life too, which I NEVER do in video games.

Vuze

Holy CRAP Euro Truck Sim 2 is fun. I just booted it up and played for 1 straight hour this morning. I can't quite nail down specifics on why I enjoy it so much, there's just this comfy feeling about driving across Europe in a truck while streaming a classic rock radio station from Manchester. I'm actually driving like I would in real life too, which I NEVER do in video games.

Same for me! I really can't say why I like it, I haven't even bothered with the economy aspect in seven hours, just driving around listening to a web radio station. Everybody should give it a shot imo

Look at the price of the bundle. Though for EU it's cheaper than buying the game on Steam.

yeah it's cheaper here in france but i'm just surprised they would feature in a bundle so soon after hitting steam
not that i'm complaining, with bannerlord, kingdom come and this there will be a good chunk of medieval stuff to enjoy next year

PLASTICA-MAN has been saying devs making current-gen games in UE3 should have either started making them in UE4 or should port them from UE3 into UE4. He's said that ithe latter is relatively easy to do:

I'm asking 1) when was UE4 available to devs, 2) how much work would it take to move a (modified or otherwise) UE3 game into UE4 and 3) why mention UE4.5 in regards to these games unless it was available 1-3 years ago when they started development?

They could have started using UE4 from the start, then add each new feature to their game that every UE4 update brings. Migrating an UE3 game to UE4 will take a longer time, and it won't even look as good as a game made using UE4 from the start.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

ETS2 has claimed another victim ;)

no, but seriously - this game is just so gooooood and so relaxing ... you can switch off your brain and just drive while listening to some music :)

Dr Dogg

SLI profiles: what are they?

go!

They are the assigned profiles for compatible games with an approved profile by Nvidia so you can use 2 or more GPUs to render a game using more power than a single card would bring. You can create custom profiles using a tool call Nvidia Inspector which lets you assign SLI compatibility bits to games that don't have an officially supported profile as well as other options like Anti-Aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering, Ambient Occlusion and more.

Do you need me to waffle on more or is that vaguely understandable?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They are the assigned profiles for compatible games with an approved profile by Nvidia so you can use 2 or more GPUs to render a game using more power than a single card would bring. You can create custom profiles using a tool call Nvidia Inspector which lets you assign SLI compatibility bits to games that don't have an officially supported profile as well as other options like Anti-Aliasing, Anisotropic Filtering, Ambient Occlusion and more.

Do you need me to waffle on more or is that vaguely understandable?

im getting slightly aroused from your prose on SLI, do continue

that was code for "yes please" btw

They could have started using UE4 from the start, then add each new feature to their game thatt every UE4 update brings. Migrating UE3 game to UE3 will take a longer time, and it won't even look as cool as a game made using UE4 from the start.

Yes, but what's the earliest these devs could've started using UE4?

I wish you would've responded before I started making that thread :B

Yeah, it is more enterataining - and even harder in some aspects, I specifically have problems with the parking - than how it sounds, you don't know it until you try it.

Besides, now you're experiencing the best version of it, since it has recently undergone a massive update bringing a bunch of new/improved features, and now it has also achievements.

I would also recommend to purchase the Going East DLC, it adds more variety to the missions.

Dr Dogg

im getting slightly aroused from your prose on SLI, do continue

Well I guess it's because you bought a second card now that you want to know. Most of the time you don't need to worry to much with older games as there are handled pretty well these days. If a game you want to play is not supported you can either make a post on the offical Nvida forum in the dedicated request thread.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/477765/sli/official-nvidia-sli-profile-request-thread/41/

Or a more quicker and sensible option is use that program I mentioned, Inspector which is available here.
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/nvidia-inspector-download.html

And there's a great guide about all the feautres it has by Stallion here
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29247305&postcount=163

What you're after would be a list of compatible SLI bits which help with unsupported games which you can get from here which also have a picture guide of what to do to get things to work
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379960

The other functions I mentioned like Anti Aliasing and Ambient Occlusion also follow the same princples as above are here for Anti Aliasing
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=357956

Here for Ambient Occlusion and here for HBAO+ which is a much better and accurate for of Ambient Occlusion (guide by our very own BONKERS)
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=387114

Yes, but what's the earliest these devs could've started using UE4?

I wish you would've responded before I started making that thread :B

since the first version of UE4 was available aka UE4 dev version, since 2012. Zombie studios used that version but never added the new features added in the new updates. Lionhead did use that version but they added their custom assets and even created their own version of Global Illuminition (after Epic ditching SVOGI) and Epic got the code from Lionhead and integrated it in UE4 later in one update. UE4 can get updates and upgrades from Epic or devs or random people even when during a game development cycle. UE4 is very open source engine and everyone cna brings his addition to it unlike other engines
(cough...cryengine...cough

Khronico

Yeah, it is more enterataining - and even harder in some aspects, I specifically have problems with the parking - than how it sounds, you don't know it until you try it.

Besides, now you're experiencing the best version of it, since it has recently undergone a massive update bringing a bunch of new/improved features, and now it has also achievements.

I would also recommend to purchase the Going East DLC, it adds more variety to the missions.

I got the gold bundle with going east, and yes parking is ridiculous. I know in theory how to park a trailer but it's extremely difficult to actually implement that theoretical knowledge. I try 2 or 3 times before just calling it quits and cutting my losses.

Lol @ that thread lock. Shoulda seen that one coming man.

I was unfamiliar with his posting history...

since the first version of UE4 was available aka UE4 dev version, since 2012. Zombie studios used that version but never added the new features added in the new updates. Lionhead did use that version but they added their custom assets and even created their own version of Global Illuminition (after Epic ditching SVOGI) and Epic got the code from Lionhead and integrated it in UE4 later in one update. UE4 can get updates and upgrades from Epic or devs or random people even when during a game development cycle. UE4 is very open source engine and everyone cna brings his addition to it unlike other engines
(cough...cryengine...cough

You make it sound really easy/worthwhile to do. I would really like to hear some other devs input on the matter because in this thread, it sounds like many disagree.

I got 5.94$ in my GMG wallet, and Tomb Raider GOTY daily deal is 5.99$. I unlocked a new Canyon Cappers achievement hours ago but it didn't add me any money.
I NEED TO GET TB BEFORE THE DEAL ENDS :'(
. How long achievements need time to add money to playfire/gmg?

derExperte

I got 5.94$ in my GMG wallet, and Tomb Raider GOTY daily deal is 5.99$. I unlocked a new Canyon Cappers achievement hours ago but it didn't add me any money.

Between one day and never.

I was unfamiliar with his posting history...

You make it sound really easy/worthwhile to do. I would really like to hear some other devs input on the matter because in this thread, it sounds like many disagree.

You don't know how easy/difficult developing using UE4 unless you use it. I use it and I find it the most simplified engine ever made. but neverthless, you have to adapt to its new features and API. Anyone now even non programmers can make any type of game using it. Some even can have great things running (not full game of course) done even in one weekend and the examples abound.

Anyway, seeing games these days released or being released still using UE3 must make us question the real intentions behind such choice.

There is a dedicated UE4 thread at Neogaf btw where someone even tried to recreate P.T demo using UE4: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789941

Deitus

Speaking of game nights, Uzzy is hosting another Dota 2 night tomorrow (it's actually afternoon if you are in the US), and still hasn't gotten a lot of responses.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=132362189&postcount=399

Once again, players of all skill levels are welcome (most of the people who have played in past game nights are fairly inexperienced, especially myself, so don't expect high levels of play). Ideally we can get a full 10 people and then we won't have to play with randoms.

And I know a lot of people don't care about Dota, or actively hate it. That's fine, to each their own. But we get it, no need to belabor the point.

Shadownet

Banned
It's been a while, I'd be down.

I would be, but I've got some stuff going on (not to mention lots of Mordor still to do...).

Sure but I suck at the game and get epic lag spikes, so go easy on me?

What are the details? Or just invite me when you game.

What time you thinking? I'd probably play.

Yeah it has been a long time since we played. Would 7:30 PM EDT be good for most of you guys?

Also I will make a post in the Games Night Thread about how to join the server. I'll link it to here so you won't miss it. Just check the thread in about an hour or so.

Miguel81

Are you sure you want the game THAT bad? It pisses on everything that was great about the OGs.

Tellaerin

I really liked ARES and never understood the hate it got when it was released/in a bundle.

ARES is a pretty decent game. The only thing that dragged it down is the whole "collect enough of several different kinds of junk to craft upgrades and pickups" thing - I'd've been happier with something more traditional there, more in the Megaman/Castlevania vein. Unfortunately (for me, at least), that system's one of the main things that sets ARES apart from similar games, so I doubt the developers would ever want to do away with it in a sequel.

You don't know how easy/difficult developing using UE4 unless you use it. I use it and I find it the most simplified engine ever made. but neverthless, you have to adapt to its new features and API. Anyone now even non programmers can make any type of game using it. Some even can have great things running (not full game of course) done even in one weekend and the examples abound.

Anyway, seeing games these days released or being released still using UE3 must make us question the real intentions behind such choice.

all i see is devs that started working on their projects using UE3 and not wanting to further delay their games with that transition, as well as add to the production cost. And then there is a comfort in knowing your tools, too. When you have to produce a game with a hard deadline, you're much better off using what you know instead of trying to figure out what you don't.

It's the same reason why Bioshock 1 and 2 were on UE 2.5, why Splinter Cell to this day uses a modified UE 2.5 engine. It's the reason that COD continues to build upon the same engine since at least 2007, possibly even older than that. And, given that UE3 seems pretty capable as this gen isn't that big of a leap compared to other gens, i wouldn't be surprised if the only way Epic can get people to move on to UE4 is to stop licensing out UE3, because UE3 seems to have what it takes for this gen, too.

Are you sure you want the game THAT bad? It pisses on everything that was great about the OGs.

Free game my friend, free game, I collected this amount of money, cent by cent by unlocking achievements for months and I never spent any cent. I can't say no if I can buy sth for free.
(buy for free XD

Miguel81

Free gmae my frien, free game, I collected this amount of money, cent by cent by unlocking achievemnts for months and I never spent any cent. I can't say no if I can buy sth for free.
(buy for free XD

Free stuff is good stuff I say....except Tomb Raider
imo

The TR reboot is pretty decent if you don't mind an improved Uncharted clone. I liked it. It has gone for $5 IIRC.

Yeah, even I can admit it's a good game, but when you expect something else it hits you where it hurts.

all i see is devs that started working on their projects using UE3 and not wanting to further delay their games with that transition, as well as add to the production cost. And then there is a comfort in knowing your tools, too. When you have to produce a game with a hard deadline, you're much better off using what you know instead of trying to figure out what you don't.

It's the same reason why Bioshock 1 and 2 were on UE 2.5, why Splinter Cell to this day uses a modified UE 2.5 engine. It's the reason that COD continues to build upon the same engine since at least 2007, possibly even older than that. And, given that UE3 seems pretty capable as this gen isn't that big of a leap compared to other gens, i wouldn't be surprised if the only way Epic can get people to move on to UE4 is to stop licensing out UE3, because UE3 seems to have what it takes for this gen, too.

Yep I agree. and like I said before, big companies don't have to prove themesleves anymore, they can even go back and use UE1 and they will still sell their games while new indies have to distinguish themeslevs and get a bigger name, that is why mots of the new indies opt for UE4 , a good way to show off. Some may succeed, some won't (like zombie studios with Daylight).

derExperte

The TR reboot is pretty decent if you don't mind an improved Uncharted clone. I liked it. It has gone for $5 IIRC.

There's a great TR in there somewhere. Controls are snappy and precise, climbing works flawlessly but the level design lets the core gameplay down. I hope they build on what they've got and go back to the roots with the levels (big tombs pls) while dialing back the shooting.

Phawx

Hey fellas,

I've seen others do it, but wanted to ask if it was cool if I posted my impressions (blog/youtube) on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom