• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris - Paradox Dev Studios new sci-fi grand strategy game

Mindlog

So an a scale of Pax Imperia to Imperium Galactica what are we looking at here?
It was this close to being amazing, but the performance and technical issues killed it stone dead.
Just like Nexus.
RIP.

Really wish someone would pick up where Nexus left off. There's an incredible game to be made.

Carcetti

It was this close to being amazing, but the performance and technical issues killed it stone dead.

The ship models and their weapons were amazing in the simulator mode, at least. Wish I'd managed to play even one game to completion but it always went down in flames.

Has anyone ever made a grand strategy sci fi game that plays like Ascendancy?

I really loved that game and have never played anything quite like it since

The ship models and their weapons were amazing in the simulator mode, at least. Wish I'd managed to play even one game to completion but it always went down in flames.

Yeah, same. So many games, never made it past turn 200 or so :p

I really just want someone to steal the concept wholesale and bring it to completion.

Llyranor

So an a scale of Pax Imperia to Imperium Galactica what are we looking at here?

Just like Nexus.
RIP.

Really wish someone would pick up where Nexus left off. There's an incredible game to be made.
Nexus 2 Kickstarter massively flopped, so unlikely to happen :(

Chariot

Didn't the game originally have a February date?
I bet they still have that in mind and as long as nothing goes wrong then it may still happen.
Wasn't an official date, just a place holder in steam they corrected as soon as they saw it. Could be anything.

Sorry for double post, but I'm watching the video right now and I think it's already pretty clear that building multiple early-game Science ships is gonna be invaluable. I'm getting so many cool ideas and it's driving me nuts...

Please, Paradox, early access!

Did not know what this meant, but clicked and instantly became excited. Someone needs to mod this game with Halo alien races, would make my childhood complete.

I'd give it less than a year before they crop up.

Hell, it'd actually be super simple if you don't care much about the unit models. You'd really only have to mod in the portraits. Set up a civ with a theocratic caste system, make them Xenophobic as well, Warp drives... you're a solid 85% of the way there.

By the way, if you want a game to scratch the itch till it releases, I highly recommend Distant Worlds: Universe. It is a grand strategy/4x hybrid and it doesn't neglect anything. Not only will it probably scratch the itch it's in my opinion one of the best 4x/grand strategy games ever made, definitely the best 4x game (I have played a lot of different 4x games). It comes in second place in terms of grand strategy after Hearts of Iron. The game is in real time and plays out like a lot of Paradox grand strategies. It has immense depth that you would come to expect of grand strategies.

The more I see of Stellaris I begin to see a lot of similarities between the two games which is not surprising and really happy to see. Perhaps there is inspiration in some areas when they research other games, perhaps just cross-over in good design, who knows.

Even though it is the most complex 4x/grand strategy (other than Hearts of Iron argued by some but I think they are equally challenging), the game can be made easier for you. The best part is that the game has a lot of automation for you if you want it (something HoI also does, but this to a much more depth if you want), if you never want to deal with ship design, the AI controls it entirely for you, your ship uses the designs the AI for your empire made and the civilians use it too. This goes for everything in the game, diplomacy, expansion, etc. The best part is that the AI does a damn good job of it too, you can turn on automation for everything and watch the game be played for you. You can take control of something that is being automated easily and you can also set a lot of rules for the AI to follow as well if you want. You can also put it to suggest certain areas instead of automating it. That's how I play, a play a mixture of automation, manual and suggestions. You can tailor and make the game easier or more difficult.

Hell, you can play the entire game just controlling a fleet of ships while the AI does the rest. There are people that even just play the game purely diplomatically while the AI controls the rest of the game for you, completely valid and viable. You can make the game as easy/friendly as you want or the most complex by microing everything in it. Regardless, the underlaying logic/simulation of this game is the most in-depth I have experienced and I have played a lot of 4x and grand strategy games.

I highly recommend you check out Quill18's quick look as well..

Also, I took some screenies of how you can let the AI control your empire in certain areas. There is a general automation menu shown in the first screen, what it allows you to do is set categories to automatic, manual or suggestive. The rest of the screens allows you to set specifics of it if you really want to refine how they AI controls things for you. http://imgur.com/a/XCEcx

So, edicts are basically as expected. Policies are very interesting, though. Should allow for a lot of variation even between Empires with similar (or identical) Ethos.

I saw some interesting discussion on the forums about carriers, and how they might interact with the different types of FTL... there's so many possibilities here its making my head spin.

Goddamn, I love the music they're producing for this game. Very 80's sci-fi.

I really wanted Project Augustus to be a new game with a Roman / antiquity setting, but I'm really glad this is a thing now. Love everything I've seen so far... pretty much everything I've always wanted from a sci-fi videogame.

This looks simply amazing! 2016 is shaping to be one of the best years for PC gamers. Stellaris is my number one most wanted game, but we will also have new Hearts of Irons, Mount & Blade and X-com game. Paradox announcing Crusader Kings III for 2016 would make my life, but I guess that's bit too much to ask ;)

Aselith

Holy shit, when he talks about the robot revolution lol. Good shit!

What I find possibly even more interesting is if you can transition to AI. I think it would be extremely interesting to start as a human or alien whatever culture and then make AI then slowly become them. I hope they will account for that possibility.

Karak

Seriously. One of the worst concepts in recent gaming memory.

Pretty much. Even if we get the occasional success its currently relegated to a more "wow that actually worked" kind of response. Sad as hell. EA could be a working and positive system but it requires far more work on the part of the cultivating company as well.

Digby

Neo Member
Ive tried so many times to get into games like this but couldnt. I hate the Civ games too. It pisses me off because i know im missing out.

I liked Sins of a Solar Empire though. Is this game anything like that?

They're not some indie dev that needs it. And they already have a bad history with offloading their QA onto their customers, they shouldn't be doubling down on that. I doubt they'd launch a Paradox Dev Studio game as early access though, they're very conscious of their reputation.

Karak

They're not some indie dev that needs it. And they already have a bad history with offloading their QA onto their customers, they shouldn't be doubling down on that. I doubt they'd launch a Paradox Dev Studio game as early access though, they're very conscious of their reputation.

It was so nice to be at GDC and then PAX and see the groundswell of pubs and devs totally against EA as its presented now and stating clearly they had no intention of using EA. Huge difference from the prior year. And ya Paradox...man of all the companies lol. We don't want them going that road.

Back on topic a bit. The one thing that gets me a bit...less excited is almost nothing explained so far really changes it up. I mean the tech tree changes are ok but everything in the Polygon video that the dev said was exciting and new, didn't really seem like much more than the same stuff done everywhere with some new little additions.
Doesn't mean I won't dive in lol.

Trickster

Pretty good Early Access games out there. Prison Architect worked very well in EA for example and had a smooth release.

Even ignoring all the shitty games it's spawned. I intensely dislike that concept of a company charging money for a game that's not in a completed state. Seriously, just apply the concept to other areas and it should be obvious why it's a dumb concept

"here's your burger, the beef and salat will be added to it in 30 minutes
maybe
, enjoy!"

And before you say it allows the company to collect data and feedback, that's what beta's are for.

Pretty much. Even if we get the occasional success its currently relegated to a more "wow that actually worked" kind of response. Sad as hell. EA could be a working and positive system but it requires far more work on the part of the cultivating company as well.
Occasional? I can list many great EA releases, from Don't Starve to Broforce. Crypt of the Necrodancer, Infested Planet, Divinity OS, and many more.

Karak

Occasional? I can list many great EA releases, from Don't Starve to Broforce. Crypt of the Necrodancer, Infested Planet, Divinity OS, and many more.

Ya and easily considered occasional when you take into account the number of them and their issues. Like I said. So happy to see devs and pubs coming together and moving away from it at least until their desires for the system to change occur. Thats in fact why I cover them so aggressively on my channel.
EA 2.0 cultivated by the curators and actually tracked with some responsibility and real requirements from the devs that would be great. But I am not selfish enough to see any of the good titles and ignore all the terrible ones, or money lost for incomplete states. Already have that situation elsewhere lol.

Edit:
Another thing I would like games like this to handle is age. For example they state rulers will be the same ones though of course some may die for various reasons but then they talk about entire races evolving as the game goes on. So...either these rulers are godkings and ageless wonders or we continue to get that odd split where Joe Blow rules a races for millions of years using the same 20 ships, and having the same 4 ministers beneath him(exageration) but I am hoping thats not the case here and I am missing something.

Top Bottom