• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris - Paradox Dev Studios new sci-fi grand strategy game

Chariot

New developer diary is out: #5 - Empires and Species
I am so wet right now.
index.php

index.php

bjaelke

The Empire system looks stellar.
When you create an empire at the start of a new game, you get to invest three points into the various ethics (you can invest two of the points into the same ethic, making you a fanatic.)
This part in particular sounds intriguing although the second screenshot suggests that only two points were available.

Chariot

The Empire system looks stellar.

This part in particular sounds intriguing although the second screenshot suggests that only two points were available.
Either they are still balancing the exact values or maybe the race had some other modification that allowed less points.

ZZMitch

Loving all the different government types there

Looks like the 3 rows (top to bottom) are monarchy type, oligarchy type and democracy type while the 5 columns (left to right) are military based, religious based, ???, morally based, imperialist/capitalist based?

dude

dude
Looks amazing.I love how into the detail you can build your ethos. I also like how your Pops' ethos can change as they get further away from your empire influence. This game is gearing up towards god-tier.

BTW, am I the only one who thought of these (from Cosmic Encounters) while looking at the pics?

bjaelke

Loving all the different government types there

Looks like the 3 rows (top to bottom) are monarchy type, oligarchy type and democracy type while the 5 columns (left to right) are military based, religious based, ???, morally based, imperialist/capitalist based?
Science based.
Looks awesome.

edit: So any hints about when this game is expected to release? or if they are doing some sort of early access thing?

February 2016 was initially listed on the Steam page, but it has since been removed (and it was most likely just a placeholder).

danthefan

I want to get this game and love it but I host haven't been able to get into the other Paradox games. Maybe I just need to commit a few hours to learning EUIV, get over that hump. But the setting for this game is something I really love.

Chariot

I want to get this game and love it but I host haven't been able to get into the other Paradox games. Maybe I just need to commit a few hours to learning EUIV, get over that hump. But the setting for this game is something I really love.
Yeah, in the time you need to get into the basics you could finish a AAA game. it took me 20-30 hours to get really into CKII, but it was a blast afterwards.

There are tutorial videos on YouTube. Look for them anf watch a few hours than mess around with the game and see how things happen.

danthefan

Yeah, in the time you need to get into the basics you could finish a AAA game. it took me 20-30 hours to get really into CKII, but it was a blast afterwards.

There are tutorial videos on YouTube. Look for them anf watch a few hours than mess around with the game and see how things happen.

Think you're right. I need to just put the time in, it'll be so worthwhile if I do.

ZZMitch

Think you're right. I need to just put the time in, it'll be so worthwhile if I do.

And I feel like the skills you gain from learning one Paradox grand strategy game will carry over into their other titles. Like I have been a long time EU4 (and EU3 before) player and was able to jump into Vicky2 and CKII with minimal issue since I already had a good feel of how Paradox games played. HOI3 was a bit more of a struggle, but definitely not as high of a learning curve as the first time I ever opened EU3 and was totally overwhelmed.

One thing that interests me is the possibility of a mid-game government/ethos change. Say there's a civilization where there's large Materialist and Spirtualist pops, the Spiritualist bent being the currently dominant one. Civil war breaks out, and the Materialists win. Is that... what, just game over? Or do you keep playing but with a new government/ethos?

Chariot

One thing that interests me is the possibility of a mid-game government/ethos change. Say there's a civilization where there's large Materialist and Spirtualist pops, the Spiritualist bent being the currently dominant one. Civil war breaks out, and the Materialists win. Is that... what, just game over? Or do you keep playing but with a new government/ethos?
I think that is what pretty much happens. They said that it's going to be feel similiar to EUIV. In that game people can rise in rebellion against the state religion and may force you to change it.

I think that is what pretty much happens. They said that it's going to be feel similiar to EUIV, where people can rise in rebellion against the state religion and may force you to change it.

Interesting. Government type in EUIV feels pretty minor in comparison to what they're showing of Steallaris, though. The transition could be... interesting.

Chariot

Interesting. Government type in EUIV feels pretty minor in comparison to what they're showing of Steallaris, though. The transition could be... interesting.
I need to edit my post. They said that the game would feel most like EU IV after the 4x beginning, they didn't state that that specific thing is going to be like that. But I imagine that it could work like that. Maybe even with more outcomes, like part of your empire just quitting instead if you don't destroy them or agree to their demands.

In EU IV you can even move to control a colony over the motherland, still run a country if under a Personal Union, have the government and religion changed by force etc. They're good at the fluidity.

Niahak

Sounds amazing. Just hope there's an auto-explore, it could get kinda fiddly having to direct your science ships after each survey. Would probably end up forgetting during war.

Even so you'd probably still have decisions to make similar to how Search for the Seven Cities works in EU4 (though hopefully less frequent).

I would guess Stellaris will have an active notification system as well, so even if there's no auto-explore, you would probably have a notification that your science ships are idle.

This dev diary was a little less detailed than I was hoping for, but I still expect Stellaris to be a really good game. Hope they take their time, I know if it's good it will be stealing a lot of mine...

Pretty much an expected aspect, but very cool nevertheless. I like how they're tying "events" into the research system, e.g. "do you want to divert the asteroid heading for this world or work on shield technology that could be crucial in the upcoming war."

I need this game now. In an era where everybody and their dog is putting their games on Early Access, why not this? Why, Paradox, why?!?

Top Bottom