• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steph Curry Supernova

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It doesn't make sense at this point. You don't foul him on threes cause he may get 4?

No, re-read what I posted - you don't foul him on 3s because you're much more likely to give up 3 points on FTs. As good as Curry is, he still misses over half of his 3 point attempts. Compared to 90%+ at the line, it's just basic math.

Chichikov

It's strange for me but I've been a better long range shooter than mid. I was making 17 out of 20 behind the arc when I was seven.

I've consistently made half court shots first try. And I've played horse where I had a line 25 foot in the air and further out than half court. Going over that line just in front you first then going the distance to drop the ball from way up high and nothing but bet. Others trying the same would have the ball land 20 feet awayfrom the rim. I don't know why I'm a really good long diatance shooter but I think it's from and how I shoot. In long distance that form is probably more natural to how I had to push the ball more hard when I was young. So when I'm far out. I push more hard and go back to that natural motion that I did well with since I was 5. That's my guess logically
This is a believable post that I'm sure accurately captures your skills as a shooter.

So you hack 10 of his 3 pointers and give him 30 free throws a game?
Come on man, I know most peoples natural tendency is to show or say they are right but touching someone up is not about fouling every shot.

He didn't have one full free throw shit in his 50 point game. Why?

Think about that.. Its ridiculous how he isn't fouled at all and getting 50 points off the floor. It is a problem rather my of you will see it or not. I get it that three point shooters aren't typically fouled. But with some many people saying.. He changes a play style etc it's time to touch him and foul him a bit out there.

blackflag

Damn, I'm 40. I grew up watching Jordan and I can't say I've ever seen anything as impressive as I saw tonight. Can't believe that is even humanly possible.

Dr.Acula

Banned
He ain't making it with a hard foul. And this would be the stats that are keeping him free and to shoot. He already scored 50. I do think the teams are thinking in this way and it's typical but they already won this many games. Doing this obviously haven't helped the teams win.

I'll stick to giving hard fouls and playing much better man to man defense as every time curry is doubled the free man runs to the goal and littery stands there and often gets the dish and score.

Most of the time "hard fouling" isn't even an option.

Did you see his OT shot tonight? How are you supposed to defend against that? You give him more than 2 feet and he can pull up and shoot before you can even touch him. You body him (at half court?) and he will blow past you. He's not standing in the corner waiting for the pass. All his 3s tonight were as open as you can get, because he takes them from anywhere on the court and his release is so fast.

His accuracy is freaking breaking things defensively. It's cheat code level shit.

This is a believable post that I'm sure accurately captures your skills as a shooter.
I don't really exaggerate or make things up. Like to be accurate and understanding. I'm a bad dribber and don't have my vertical. But I do impress with the rainbow.

I'm benched in school with coaches saying your shot is beautiful but you don't have confidence. All true. That's why I do better on pick ups. People watching me in a game effects me. Sucks but mental game is a big part. I do stick to guess instead of 21. I know how to play but mentally nah. But please take my gun was to as an honest understanding dude. And not. Bad player. My shots are good, maybe not today as I don't play but I can still go out and drain half court shots.

I hadn't played in a few years. And my students took me to the court. Drained my first two half court shots. That isn't bad for no warm up and years of not touching a ball. Still won all the horse games. That's my meaning though. The way we learn things early really develope into us. I never learned posting up or dribbling when I was young. Dribbling is the tougher to pick up on when your old. My dad didn't teach me and I just learned to shoot from watching others at the gym when my dad was playing.

Exodust

Banned
Why am I not surprised to see contrived arguments?

Dude is on fire and killing it. Do you really believe nobody is defending him or trying to? The reason you "don't see it" is because that's just how good Curry is.

And he's literally the best guard at finishing at the rim, statistically speaking.
Jack is as clueless as Shaq and Barkeley.
Not at all. He trys hard but he doesn't have that skill set. No where near as kobe. He isn't that athletic. But he does have the drive and want which is important. But best finisher. I mean, I get he can do it but you can see in his movements he does lack what other players can do at the hole.

Why am I not surprised to see contrived arguments?

Dude is on fire and killing it. Do you really believe nobody is defending him or trying to? The reason you "don't see it" is because that's just how good Curry is.
I get that. People become fans and things of new teams and new players all the time. That is fine. I don't like the band wagon fans but not saying a curry fan is that. New players should bring in new fans.

I don't ever become fans of teams. I become a fan of players and support them. I like Currys shooting myself.

but my argument is in how they let him stand back and shoot. I just think they need to do man to man on him the whole time and see if they go w him a bad night of shooting.

It's about winning the game. He can score 80 as long as we win. It's something that needs to be tested. I know teams are trying but I think players are mentally out right now. Love is mentally out and it's easy to see that for a while now.

Havent seen a dude play this absolutely bonkers within their game since Kobe in 05...If only he had as good a supporting cast as Curry does.

Exodust

Banned
Not at all. He trys hard but he doesn't have that skill set. No where near as kobe.

Lol sure, ok. Cause that's true.

I get that. People become fans and things of new teams and new players all the time. That is fine. I don't like the band wagon fans but not saying a curry fan is that. New players should bring in new fans.

You either don't speak english very well or you're being deliberately obtuse, because I honestly don't know what you're on about or how you came to this from what I said.

Abounder

Banned
Where amazing happens! One hell of a game and performance by Curry. Shame about Durant fouling out, but great stuff nonetheless

ZoddGutts

You either don't speak english very well or you're being deliberately obtuse, because I honestly don't know what you're on about or how you came to this from what I said.

haha Good thing to know I'm not the only one confused at the stuff that dude is saying.

Servbot24

Banned
Not at all. He trys hard but he doesn't have that skill set. No where near as kobe. He isn't that athletic. But he does have the drive and want which is important. But best finisher. I mean, I get he can do it but you can see in his movements he does lack what other players can do at the hole.

Then why does he have such high efficiency when driving? I'll grant you he doesn't have the athleticism of Kobe, Jordan or Westbrook, but I don't see why that matters when he gets the same results.

but my argument is in how they let him stand back and shoot. I just think they need to do man to man on him the whole time and see if they go w him a bad night of shooting.

They already do this. Curry takes them off the dribble. There are countless highlight videos of this happening.

Siegcram

This isn't a debate. The stats say he's the best finisher around the rim among guards. And the eye tests confirm it.

But since you're apparently a Kobe stan, citing stats is probably in vain anyway.

They already do this. Curry takes them off the dribble. There are countless highlight videos of this happening.
What if they played better man-to-man D though?

Fennec

Don Nelson created the "Hack-a-X", Popovich made it efficient. And i'm sure Pop has some tricks up his sleeves he will use during the playoffs to shut Curry down.

I don't ever become fans of teams. I become a fan of players and support them. I like Currys shooting myself.

It's about winning the game. He can score 80 as long as we win. It's something that needs to be tested. I know teams are trying but I think players are mentally out right now. Love is mentally out and it's easy to see that for a while now.

What? Lol you think teams don't man up on him? There isn't much you can do. No one is fast enough to body him up close without getting blown by and if you give him space he will take the shot.

The other problem is he HAS had bad shooting nights. But you are playing the warriors, not Stef curry alone. It's unlikely that all their players go cold. Tonight they only needed Stef and klay

Wall

He's changing the game. He's a revolutionary player. It's mind truly mind boggling what he is doing.

Unfortunately I missed the game, but luckily I have Leaugepass!!!!

Exodust

Banned
Havent seen a dude play this absolutely bonkers within their game since Kobe in 05...If only he had as good a supporting cast as Curry does.

Curry right now is a better player than Kobe has ever been. I say this as a Laker stan and Kobe fan.

As far as good supporting cast, he had that quite a few times in his career, arguably better than Curry has now or before. He managed to piss all of them off to the point that the Lakers are in a complete garbage heap right now. As great as Kobe was as a player, he was a shitty teammate who destroyed the dynasties he was a part of. Given the choice I'll put Curry on my team over prime Kobe any day of the week.

Fjordson

Huh. He's shooting over 68% inside 3 feet this year.

Obviously not as vertically explosive as someone like Kobe in his prime, but that doesn't really matter when he has such a wide variety of shots in his arsenal. A floater or a reverse layup is worth just as many points as a dunk.

he's boring to watch.. just like the nba in general these days.. It's just a long delay until the 2 teams everyone knows is gonna be in the finals

I have an irrational hatred for the Warriors though due to the bandwagon sf Giants fans who never watched them before last year

Exodust

Banned
he's boring to watch.. just like the nba in general these days.. It's just a long delay until the 2 teams everyone knows is gonna be in the finals

This can be said about every leagues in every sports in every era with very, very few exceptions through out history. As it's the most basic thing to point at, ignoring any and all context going into how a season plays out and how "two teams" got there in the first place.

I think he could still be explosive next year and some of the comments here I don't understand. I have never been a fan of kobe really but I do feel he is one of the best drive to the hole players.

I'm not really against Curry nor a fan of him per say but I do think he is a good shooter as i said before.

I think teams need more time to adjust to him but I don't think he will be doing this and have as high of an average in two years. That's just my opinion and as long as I am alive would gladly be around two years later to see the stats with you guys.

Replying to the other comments before you. The conversation as a whole.

I also understand you guys other points that if your percentage is high and your getting it done is good. I still feel his dribble and ball handling is going to hurt him in the long run.

Will be interesting to see how he handles his play when they are losig, losing finals and how he bounces back from losing and having worse games. Not saying they will lose for sure this year, but they will lose and be worse at some point. I think we need to see three of four years before we name him the greatest shooter or what not (not saying any of you are doing that either)

I personally feel westbrook has a lot of potential to be the next kobe but I honestly don't watch a lot of NBA these days to know the other players well and I will admit that. I see curry play quite a bit from highlights and a few games now and then. I do watch most of their highlights from every game to see how the scores, plays are happening.

I just don't see curry scoring like this agiasnt a rodman, artest or what not. I admit though that I don't know the best defensive players in today's game. Who are the best defnesive players at stopping the shot ?

For those of you that never saw it, check out some of the rodman on bulls players (piston days) and rodman on shaq defense. It's immpresive how the guy can play so many types of players and get the job done. are there any guys like this in todays game?

Currys next milestone in the next phase of his career will be to shoot 50% from three on the season. Im convinced he will do it at some point before he retires.

This can be said about every leagues in every sports in every era with very, very few exceptions through out history. As it's the most basic thing to point at, ignoring any and all context going into how a season plays out and how "two teams" got there in the first place.

not really.. Baseball is way more dynamic

and hitting a baseball is way harder than a half court shot that any dweeb can pull off in their local court

HelpfulWideeyedAnole.gif

That gif is destined to get a lot of usage.

Exodust

Banned

and hitting a baseball is way harder than a half court shot that any dweeb can pull off in their local court

Aha, thanks for your input.

As for the dynamic thing. Do we really need to get into "the sport I like the most is better than the sport you like the most"? I'm going to avoid that and instead of focus on addressing your two team thing real quick. Three years ago the Warriors weren't even up for debate as a championship contender, neither was the Cavs. The Lakers are now bottom of the barrel, The Thunder is a new team that's been doing well for the past 4 years or so. The only real constant has been the Spurs.

Fjordson

I have an irrational hatred for the Warriors though due to the bandwagon sf Giants fans who never watched them before last year
Well both of these things have been true for a long, long time. Certainly longer than Curry has been around.

1) Winning teams attract bandwagon fans. This isn't unique to the Warriors.

2) Basketball often lacks parity at the NBA level. The best players in the game can (theoretically) participate in every single possession on both ends of the floor. It's not like a dominant pitcher who can't hit or a quarterback who sits on defense. Just the nature of the sport rather than a reflection of the NBA currently imo.

As a casual basketball fan who doesn't usually care for the NBA regular season, I've been tuning in specifically because of Curry's and the Warriors' run at history. It's a shame you're letting the overlap of bandwagon Giants fans impact your enjoyment of a potentially GOAT team.

If the way these Warriors (or the Spurs) play is boring, then perhaps the sport isn't for you...

baseball has always had more dynamic teams and it isnt smart to place bets on this sport

I did watch the highlights of the thunder game. good game and I felt warriors got out played for most of it and yeah curry hit shots and hit shots well. But as you can see. they are still not expecting him to take the shot close to half court. I mean this is exactly what im talkig about. WHY are they giving him this shot so freely. Ok, its unlikely people ever take shots like this in the nba, your HS and your career but he has shown he will do it time after time.

If I am the coach of thunder at this point I tell them to guard curry like your life depends on it, man to man and try to keep a few players i the way of the lane so know one can drive. But teams letting him shoot the ball like this is the play ground just makes me feel tired. I'm not blaming curry, im not saying he is bad but the defense of it all just makes me feel tired of teams letting him do it. When the guy turned around and did his little comfort get into position that is when curry already knew he was going to shoot. and by the time saw it, it was too late. You have to stop that typical run down the court mentality. Man, it just doesn't make sense to me.

Feep

Banned
I don't know how you can really argue that this isn't the greatest single season by a basketball player of all time.

And if Curry keeps this up, well...sorry, Michael.

Fjordson

baseball has always had more dynamic teams and it isnt smart to place bets on this sport

I did watch the highlights of the thunder game. good game and I felt warriors got out played for most of it and yeah curry hit shots and hit shots well. But as you can see. they are still not expecting him to take the shot close to half court. I mean this is exactly what im talkig about. WHY are they giving him this shot so freely. Ok, its unlikely people ever take shots like this in the nba, your HS and your career but he has shown he will do it time after time.

If I am the coach of thunder at this point I tell them to guard curry like your life depends on it, man to man and try to keep a few players i the way of the lane so know one can drive. But teams letting him shoot the ball like this is the play ground just makes me feel tired. I'm not blaming curry, im not saying he is bad but the defense of it all just makes me feel tired of teams letting him do it. When the guy turned around and did his little comfort get into position that is when curry already knew he was going to shoot. and by the time saw it, it was too late. You have to stop that typical run down the court mentality. Man, it just doesn't make sense to me.
Defense at the NBA level is hard man. Doing what you're describing for en entire game is a lot easier said than done. Any human player is going to let up from time to time due to fatigue or just momentary mental lapses.

And it's not like Curry is just bringing the ball up himself and going iso into the defense every time. In most of his games he's often not even playing point guard. He's operating off the ball, running through multiple screens and/or constantly cutting backdoor and tiring out his match up with constant movement. I said this earlier in the thread, but against the Magic the other night the guy guarding Curry on Orlando was already gassed in the first quarter, bent over with his hands on his knees.

I sort of agree about that last shot. Roberson needed to come up higher and meet Steph near half court. But still...the thought of having to do that on defense because a guy is a legit threat to score from 35+ feet out is kinda crazy.

when I watch Jordan and Lebron and Kobe highlights im thinking damn these guys are physical specimens

with curry it's like he must have been really good at winning stuffed animals at the fair

his efficiency is amazing but it's just not that impressive to me from a physical prowess perspective 🙈

I don't know how you can really argue that this isn't the greatest single season by a basketball player of all time.

And if Curry keeps this up, well...sorry, Michael.

Single best 'offensive' season? Sure, there's an argument if the measurement is PER. Wilts 50ppg and 25ppg, MJ's seasons with 35/5/6 and 32/8/8, Oscar's triple double seasons, are in the conversation but it's all era-relative. But in terms of the last decade at least, this is the most fear-inducing talent I've seen since peak Shaq, just throwing out stats for a moment and looking at the eyetest. This guy is scaring the shit out of defenders the moment he hits within 30 feet.

his efficiency is amazing but it's just not that impressive to me from a physical prowess perspective 🙈

That's the hook. Curry at 6'3 is tall by normal standards, but he looks small compared to the giants on the court, and combined with his baby-faced features and slim frame he's relatable to the average person. Lebron looks like something out of a comic book, and Durant is 6'10 with an 8ft wingspan( slight exaggeration on that). In terms of some of the other greats he has modest physical attributes, this is purely skill-based domination.

You think people give him space? He makes space.

Blackhead

Redarse

when I watch Jordan and Lebron and Kobe highlights im thinking damn these guys are physical specimens

with curry it's like he must have been really good at winning stuffed animals at the fair

his efficiency is amazing but it's just not that impressive to me from a physical prowess perspective ��
Lol wut?! It's not like all Curry does is stand in a corner and chuck threes. If you can't enjoy Curry breaking ankles then you can't claim to like basketball. Dude had embarrassed CP3 and Kawhi just this season. Curry is entertaining just for his handles, assists and layups alone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom