• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steph Curry Supernova

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't been an nba fan for many years, but for some reason I clicked on this thread and saw this. Those shots are ridiculous!

Had never even heard of this guy before now. How long has he been in the league?

He's been in the league 7 years now. He's pretty much entered the public consciousness the last 2 seasons. So if you haven't been keeping up with the league in a few years, its not likely you'd have heard about him until recently.

Ronin Ray

So the only 2 arugments people have left aginst curry.

1. He's not a good on defense. This is worng the pg position is so stacked right now none of this guys and shut eacher other down. He's an average defender who works great in there defense system. Please show me all these amazing defensive pg in the league today.

2. If the other teams played tuff man to man defense on him. What this guy constantly makes 3s in defenders faces. You can't foul him he shoots 90% from the line. If you constantly extend your defense out to his range he can blow by you and score in the paint or get an assisit .

He is the most unstoppable offensive force since shaq and he's doing it unlike anyone ever. There's not a player you can compare him to in NBA history. He breaks all NBA convention and wisdom and it amazing to watch.

negitoro7

Being captain obvious here: No one else in the history of the game, past present or future, has the combination of handles, quick release and accuracy that Curry has. He really is unguardable and you just hope he has an off shooting night. Casual fans might not fully appreciate just how good his handles are in getting his shot off basically uncontested as far as he's concerned.

phanphare

Banned
I needed the full celebration gif

3iSjSCO.gif

CREMSteve

He was the 7th pick of the 2009 draft. He has always been good, but he had to sit out a lot due to ankle injuries. In the 2012-13 season he really started to overcome those injuries and develop into a legit star. He's improved every season since then.
Impressive how he's suddenly made such a dramatic shift in his play that he now can seemingly make those kinds of shots with relative ease. Crazy, really.

I will agree that curry has a quick release which helps him more than anything imo

I don't think his handles is among the best but solid though.

I give him credit for perfecting a quick release along with being able to make consistent shots. I do think with the way he celebrates that he will get some hard fouls. I dunno man, he def. dont have the jordan celebrations with power and sterness ;)

2. If the other teams played tuff man to man defense on him. What this guy constantly makes 3s in defenders faces. You can't foul him he shoots 90% from the line. If you constantly extend your defense out to his range he can blow by you and score in the paint or get an assisit .

It isn't just curry, I think the whole league looks a bit soft this helps curry to me. I use to get hit an scratched all the time and it really made me think twice about where I would go just so I didnt have to go home with a sore back or ribs. I know some of them still bang and hit but it just seems like its a lot less to me.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I will agree that curry has a quick release which helps him more than anything imo

I don't think his handles is among the best but solid though.

I give him credit for perfecting a quick release along with being able to make consistent shots. I do think with the way he celebrates that he will get some hard fouls. I dunno man, he def. dont have the jordan celebrations with power and sterness ;)
Are these parody posts? Please tell me whose handles are better. Kyrie has a tighter handle and I think they're 1a and 1b.

So curry is just solid? Do tell, if he's just solid, who is better?

GatorBait

This thread is amazing. You can really tell who doesn't watch the games.

Curry is unathletic and has average handles? He's quick, has great agility/footwork, and has been making defenders look silly off the dribble with regularity the past two seasons.

Just get up in his face and don't give him the 3? Defenders HAVE been doing that. The problem is, Curry has such a quick release (I think it's like 25% faster than the next fastest player) that he barely needs room to get his shot off. He shakes people, or moves past a screen, or steps back, and only needs like 2 feet to get his shot off. You get in his face and he just makes space (which is much less space needed than other players) or he creates off the dribble with his quickness and ball handling. Distance from the basket and proximity to defenders doesn't seem to affect Curry's ability to make a shot. Look at this chart:

morris-stephcurry-41.png

Look at the 12 three-pointers he made against OKC and tell me how many of those are "good" shots by conventional NBA standards. He is taking pull-up threes off the dribble with defenders on him as if they are 15-foot jumpers. How do you defend a guy who shoots from 24 feet, in both percentage made and amount of space needed, as if he's 12-15 feet from the basket?

I'm most excited by the playoffs to see if any team can create and tune a gameplan to stop Curry.

I love how the doofus on Neogaf is smarter than 29 NBA teams and head coaches. Yep, you alone have figured out how to stop Curry and it's just that no one else has thought of it. Give me a break. You are watching the greatest offensive season in history. Just enjoy it.

I can't wait to show my kids Steph Curry highlights in 20 years.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
omg the 3 point line turning red is so terrible lol

g state games are going to cause burn in on your tv

I love how Mike Breen marks the fuck out at the final shot and fucking loses his play by play announcer composure LOL
"BANG! BAAAHAAANNGGG!!!!"

Breen was the best man to have covering it. TWO signature 'bang!"s off of one shot.

He was so adamant in it that it almost sounds like he slurred the word "shot" and somewhat said "shit".

Just amazing.

DominoKid

Impressive how he's suddenly made such a dramatic shift in his play that he now can seemingly make those kinds of shots with relative ease. Crazy, really.

Hes been able to make those shots since college. Its the physical improvements hes made to counter his weak structure that have made him otherworldly now. I think his deadlift at 400 lbs is 2nd on the team behind Ezeli.

Check out his workouts
https://youtu.be/S7cZKAz6Meo
https://youtu.be/-INfAb3Aggk

Elite shooting + elite handles + elite mechanics and physique = 💀

It isn't just curry, I think the whole league looks a bit soft this helps curry to me. I use to get hit an scratched all the time and it really made me think twice about where I would go just so I didnt have to go home with a sore back or ribs. I know some of them still bang and hit but it just seems like its a lot less to me.

You need to stop comparing your experience at the YMCA to what he's doing and to the NBA in general. He has been knocked down shooting by people I would guess are more physical than what you're facing, it doesn't seem to be bothering him.

Its fine to bring up other eras(although I think it's pointless) but injecting yourself into your hot takes is ridiculous.

Kyrie and Steph's handles are too different to compare, IMO. Kyrie's are more techincally impressive. They make you think, "there's no way I can do that."

Steph has the finesse that makes you think, "shit that looks easy I can do that."

Then you try. And fail miserably.

Siegcram

Since you're apparently draining half-court shots like nobody's business, maybe sign up for the summer league and then tell us how easy it is to drive to the rim against these guys.

Crisco

Banned
The way Curry is playing this season, your best bet is to go at him hard on the offensive end and hope to get him in foul trouble, or at least wear him down physically. On defense you're better off just letting him jack the 35 footers than breaking down your whole defense to try and stop them. At least that gives you a chance to play good defense on the other 4 and hope Curry misses a few long ones.

Kyrie is the only one currently playing who has an arguably tighter handle.

Theres not much between Kyrie, Chris Paul, Steph and Jamal Crawford in terms of handle. Theyre the top ball handlers in the league, by a large margin. You could throw James Harden in there if you wanted to be charitable.

this_guy

Everyone that says all you have to do to stop him is by giving him hard fouls - that's just not going to work. Curry's game isn't going hard to the basket like Derrick Rose or Jordan back in his day where you can clobber him. Give a blatant hard foul while Curry's on the 3 point line will only get you ejected. Try to body him up and "play physical" while he's 35 feet out will mean he's going to blow right by you. Even on the game winner last night he still had a hand in his face when he shot it from 30+ feet.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Theyve been coached their entire lives to defend the easy 2 and give up the 3 in that situation.

Steph didnt need to take a 3 to win. So if you press up he can just as easily beat you for a 2. He defies 100 years of basketball knowledge. Thats why you dont expect him to pull up there.

I also want to point out that GSW has a timeout. It was a surprising move for GSW to just jack up the shot. And let's be fair, if it were anyone other than Curry, that would have been a bad choice and a bad shot.

Darkgran

I love how the doofus on Neogaf is smarter than 29 NBA teams and head coaches. Yep, you alone have figured out how to stop Curry and it's just that no one else has thought of it. Give me a break. You are watching the greatest offensive season in history. Just enjoy it.

I can't wait to show my kids Steph Curry highlights in 20 years.

LOL

So true.

I also want to point out that GSW has a timeout. It was a surprising move for GSW to just jack up the shot. And let's be fair, if it were anyone other than Curry, that would have been a bad choice and a bad shot.

The advantage of having a guy with half court range. Last three games Curry's hit a ridiculously deep shot like that. Shit, he threw up a full court shot last night and it almost went in, just hit the back of the iron too hard.

You cant guard against a team with guy who has half court range, another guy whose the second or third best three point shooter in the league and a forward with passing ability of a guard. No wonder the Warriors are hesitant about pursuing Durant in the offseason, why break up what they have?

jmood88

So the only 2 arugments people have left aginst curry.

1. He's not a good on defense. This is worng the pg position is so stacked right now none of this guys and shut eacher other down. He's an average defender who works great in there defense system. Please show me all these amazing defensive pg in the league today.

He is the most unstoppable offensive force since shaq and he's doing it unlike anyone ever. There's not a player you can compare him to in NBA history. He breaks all NBA convention and wisdom and it amazing to watch.
He's way better on defense than he used to be, too. He was almost as bad as Steve Nash a few years ago but he has clearly worked on it and has actually improved. The Warriors (well, mainly Draymond Green) annoy me sometimes but I don't know how people could hate on Curry.

Tekniqs

When I try to extrapolate how Mike would do today, I look at guys like Westbrook or Wade from 2010, and see that MJ had all of those guys best athletic traits, but with an extra 2-3 inches in height and better shooting. Which is to say, he would dominate today. If James Harden can flop his way to 28ppg in today's game, I see no reason why MJ wouldn't be on the line 12 times a night with the way the game is called now.

not to mention MJ's basketball IQ.

On topic, Curry is changing the way the game is going to be played in the future I think. More and more players coming out of highschool/college will be legit deep bomb threats with a good handle. Over time, it may decrease the quality of the league though because I'm sure not very many (if any) will be Curry status from deep range

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
He would be successful in any generation of you placed him there. He is twice the shooter that Reggie and Ray Allen were and they did quite well for themselves. Outside of people physically hurting him, he would average the same amount of points if not more.

Former players are killing me with this whole "he wouldn't have lasted in our day" ... no guy would keep up with him with that ridiculous handle and quick release. Dude doesn't even see the rim sometimes. Rip hamiltons skinny ass was able to make it through his generation so I have no reason to believe that Steph couldn't.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Only way to beat this team is slow down the game.....a lot. How to do it? Basically you need post up players, and guess what? There are hardly any in the NBA anymore. SO golden state is going to win a chip this year again.

The advantage of having a guy with half court range. Last three games Curry's hit a ridiculously deep shot like that. Shit, he threw up a full court shot last night and it almost went in, just hit the back of the iron too hard.

You cant guard against a team with guy who has half court range, another guy whose the second or third best three point shooter in the league and a forward with passing ability of a guard. No wonder the Warriors are hesitant about pursuing Durant in the offseason, why break up what they have?

If Durant came they wouldn't be giving up any of those three guys.

Misterhbk

Only way to beat this team is slow down the game.....a lot. How to do it? Basically you need post up players, and guess what? There are hardly any in the NBA anymore. SO golden state is going to win a chip this year again.

The only flaw with that is your post up players need to score almost every time down. If they start to miss is a wrap because big men typically can't get back on defense. Then it's back to Warriors running with numbers.

Jonm1010

Banned
Curry is an incredible athlete in peak physical condition. Aesthetically it may be more subtle than Lebron's combination of bulk and speed, but Curry is a top tier athlete. I mean to do what he did today on a bad ankle, the way he never stops moving off the ball. Just crazy. Can't even fathom being that in shape.
Yeah. I think the constant movement and pace with his intensity through 4 quarters is an underrated skill people don't give him enough credit for.

As a pelicans fan that had Gentry basically try and apply the philosophy of the Warriors to our team, most of our players quickly learned they weren't ready. Some of our players claimed to be in their best shape of their careers only to struggle in training camp to keep up the pace. Not to mention get injured...

Im happy KD and Steph will be the faces of the league going forward, neither of these guys have the baggage of LBJ and Kobe and its unlikely they ever will.

Jonm1010

Banned
One of the main reasons I wanted my team to hire Tom Thibodeau over Alvin Gentry.

Everyone in the league is following the Warriors like a puppy, when all that will likely get you is a team not as good as the Warriors and not able to beat them. Your best chance is to incorporate lessons but innovate toward stopping that model of basketball. Zig while they zag.

Well zone defenses kinda make it easier for teams to pack the paint on defense. Also, Draymond and Bogut are perfectly good post defenders. Draymond specifically kills efficiency from opposing bigs.

Dr.Acula

Banned
He would be successful in any generation of you placed him there. He is twice the shooter that Reggie and Ray Allen were and they did quite well for themselves. Outside of people physically hurting him, he would average the same amount of points if not more.

Former players are killing me with this whole "he wouldn't have lasted in our day" ... no guy would keep up with him with that ridiculous handle and quick release. Dude doesn't even see the rim sometimes. Rip hamiltons skinny ass was able to make it through his generation so I have no reason to believe that Steph couldn't.

They must have been talking pre-3-point line, lol.

jmood88

One of the main reasons I wanted my team to hire Tom Thibodeau over Alvin Gentry.

Everyone in the league is following the Warriors like a puppy, when all that will likely get you is a team not as good as the Warriors and not able to beat them. Your best chance is to incorporate lessons but innovate toward stopping that model of basketball. Zig while they zag.
The Pelicans already can't stay healthy; I would not want to see Thibodeau run them into the ground and ruin their careers. Jrue would have one leg at this point in the year.

Golden State's fast break would murder a team of post up players. Especially given that Draymond can guard bigs well.

There is no key to beating GS. W/e the formula is no one has it yet. The only thing I have grasped thus far is really athletic teams seem to be able to keep the score close.

Jonm1010

Banned

If they let him play like he does in today's game, but problem is the vast majority of teams played inside out. That was the common wisdom of the time. Analytics was still a thing not yet invented or at least incorporated.

And the higher physicality that would regularly get placed on a guy when going inside, who lets not forget was very injury prone early on, in an era with less advanced medical care, would I think be an issue as well.

But purely in terms of his game if we moved it to that era? Yeah I think it would translate.

LionPride

Banned

You could be an All-Star in the 80s and 90s and not be able to dribble worth shit. Steph has some of the best handles in the league.

You could be an All-Star guard and not be able to shoot worth shit. Steph is the best shooter period.

You could be an All-Star and not be really athletic relative to most of the NBA. Steph and most of the current NBA is more athletic than decades past.

This idea of tough, hard-nosed, murdering defense is false. A couple of teams sure, but every team wasn't trying to take a players head off. Steph would survive/thrive in any time period.

Jonm1010

Banned
The Pelicans already can't stay healthy; I would not want to see Thibodeau run them into the ground and ruin their careers. Jrue would have one leg at this point in the year.
Maybe, maybe not. There has been a lot of back and forth on just how tough Thibs was or wasn't. How much is correlation being used as causation etc. I don't dispute his discipline and toughness. But his functional day to day game system isn't nearly as intense as Gnetrys constant pace and defensively Erman is a Thibs product.

One thing is true, Asik, Ajinca, Pomdexter, Evans, Babbitt and Davis all were banged up because of Gentry's intense shift in philosophy from Monty's slow pace. Not sure with the value of hindsight Thibs could of laid a more rocky ground for potential injuries then Gentry did.

But I let myself get off topic, Curry is a beast amongst the beasts right now and has that perfect combo of system, cast and coach that rarely comes together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom