• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Street Fighter V is a PS4 console exclusive" (PlayStation Blog)

Nintendo needs to step up and "Bayonetta 2" Megaman Legends 3.

That shit isn't going to happen and is right next to the cancelled Jet Set Radio 3 on Wii for "easiest no brainer salvage" Nintendo passed up.
MML3 was gonna make no money, which is why Capgod mercy killed it.

Grimløck;142216477 said:
Is there a reason why Microsoft is hesitant to allow cross-platform play? Is it a security issue?

Can someone answer this?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ms-killed-pc-xbox-cross-platform-play

Microsoft scrapped plans to allow PC and Xbox 360 gamers to play shooters like Unreal Tournament 3 and Gears of War online together because during tests "console players got destroyed every time".

That's according to Rahul Sood, founder of luxury computer designer Voodoo PC and CTO of gaming at Hewlett-Packard. "Rumour has it that there was a project many many months ago at Microsoft that was under wraps," Sood wrote on his blog.

"The goal was to bridge Xbox gamers with PC gamers so they could play against one another in games like Unreal, or Gears of War. This was all part of their Live strategy, and had Microsoft just stuck to their guns and made it work PC gaming might be in a much better position than it is today.

"There was a project that got killed at Microsoft. This project was designed to allow console gamers and PC gamers to interact and battle over a connected environment.

"Personally I wish it would have stayed the course. I've heard from reliable sources that during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their 'console' controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse.

"The console players got destroyed every time. So much so that it would be embarrassing to the Xbox team in general had Microsoft launched this initiative. Is this why the project was killed? Who knows, but I'd love to hear from anyone involved - what happened?"

Sood reckons had Microsoft kept the project alive, it might have resulted in the Xbox integrating into the PC.

Following the release of the Xbox 360 in 2005, cross-platform play became one of the hottest topics in gaming.

It hasn't taken off, however. FASA Studios' futuristic FPS Shadowrun does it, but it's slim pickings.

In 2007 Epic Games' Mark Rein confirmed Unreal Tournament 3 wouldn't feature cross-platform play, but said it could turn up "at some point in the future".

Weird reasoning, but there it is.

Shadowrun was fine with cross platform play, actually ended meeting some really cool cats playing that back in the day.

Biker19

Banned
So Capcom is in such bad situation, that they didn't want to make a new SF without help? Wow, that's probably the biggest news out of this.

I couldn't even imagine that SF could rest next to the grave of Mega Man

A chart along with a few posts will tell you all that you need to know of Capcom's current situation in terms of gaming:

Chart.

Post #1.
Post #2.

Too bad the game art isn't half as good.

image.php

Cole Slaw

Banned
I predict that this relationship between Sony and Ono is going to last forever, or at least for the life of this generation.

HipHopGamer did a nice job with his rant.

I kinda think Killer Instinct had a little bit to do with Street Fighter coming so early and then going exclusive. MS kinda forced Capcom's hand. Capcom has to maintain market share they don't want a repeat of 1998.

notworksafe

Has MS actually said they disallow crossplatform play? Sf5 threads are the first Ive heard of the notion.

They've had Xbox/PC cross play a few times but don't seem to have interest in pushing it anymore. I don't think they've publicly talked about disallowing it. FFXIV devs have implied they aren't down though.

LowParry

Boom.

My money is on "No." and it will be until they explicitly state the opposite.

Maybe if people put out some tweets about future Street Fighter V editions staying exclusive to PS4, then the debat can be put to rest. Can't be that hard of a question to answer.

Game Guru

Weird reasoning, but there it is.

Not that weird if you understand that shooters are best controlled with a mouse and keyboard. Even that article says that mediocre PC players playing with a keyboard and mouse will dominate against even the best console players playing with a controller.

Microsoft makes more money off of console gaming than PC gaming and shooters are the premiere genre for the Xbox line, so MS is not going to support an option that pretty much states bluntly and clearly, "If you want to actually have a chance of winning in a shooter, you need to play on PC with a mouse and keyboard."

However, since shooters are not the premiere genre of the PlayStation line, Sony doesn't have to worry as much about PC gamers with a mouse and keyboard utterly dominating console gamers with a controller.

Braag

PCs are not in my purview. I don't really consider PCs to be the home of gaming; consoles are. And in the world of consoles, the PS4 is where games will fulfill their most potential.

PS4 is for gaming, PCs are for sending emails and writing reports and doing some online shopping.

PS4 is for playing SFV, PC is for talking about it on NeoGAF.

Xojb.gif

I wish there were more games which used cross-platform play.

notworksafe

Pretty sure SquareEnix explicitly said that's the reason FF14 is not on Xbox platforms, which is good as any confirmation really.

I wasn't sure if it was an anti-crossplay stance or wanting people to pay for XBL on top of the MMO sub.

FFXI doesn't require an XBL sub on 360 and I'm betting S-E wanted that deal again.

Does PS4 FFXIV require a PS+ sub to play?

Toki767

Not that weird if you understand that shooters are best controlled with a mouse and keyboard. Even that article says that mediocre PC players playing with a keyboard and mouse will dominate against even the best console players playing with a controller.

Microsoft makes more money off of console gaming than PC gaming and shooters are the premiere genre for the Xbox line, so MS is not going to support an option that pretty much states bluntly and clearly, "If you want to actually have a chance of winning in a shooter, you need to play on PC with a mouse and keyboard."

However, since shooters are not the premiere genre of the PlayStation line, Sony doesn't have to worry as much about PC gamers with a mouse and keyboard utterly dominating console gamers with a controller.
I really doubt the mouse and keyboard vs controller argument is really valid now. Especially with an entire generation growing up playing shooters in controllers. It would be like the arcade stick vs controller argument and we all saw at EVO that someone can get just so good if not better using a controller than the perceived notion of what a game was designed to play for.

David___

Banned
I wasn't sure if it was an anti-crossplay stance or wanting people to pay for XBL on top of the MMO sub.

FFXI doesn't require an XBL sub on 360 and I'm betting S-E wanted that deal again.

Its the anti-crossplay stance.

"The policy has not changed on Microsoft's side," Yoshida told RPGSite. "The main reason from our side is that I don't want the community to be divided; to be split into two or more. For example, one player might be on the PC version, another might be on the PS4 version, and I'm playing the Xbox version - but we're not able to join the same game servers. That is just... I just don't like the idea. I disagree with it."
http://kotaku.com/final-fantasy-xiv-isnt-coming-to-xbox-because-of-a-sil-723669207

Does PS4 FFXIV require a PS+ sub to play?
Nope.

I want to know how long SF5 has been in development. Killer Instinct has the potential to be a strong first tier fighting game contender at EVO. This exclusivity kinda helps legitimizes Killer Instinct as a competitor.

If MS were smart they would invest and strengthen their own home grown product.
gaming-killer-instinct-screenshot-6.jpg

I want to know how long SF5 has been in development. Killer Instinct has the potential to be a strong first tier fighting game contender at EVO. This exclusivity kinda helps legitimizes Killer Instinct as a competitor.

gaming-killer-instinct-screenshot-6.jpg

Don't see it for KI. Mortal Kombat will get a boost though.

SFV should've been in development for a year tops now - counting pre-production.

But yes, KI is a good IP, MS needs to focus on that.

I get all the salty feels but just like Bayonetta, Sony is making SF5 possible so imo, accept it and either buy a PS4 to play it or hope/wait for Super-Mega-Ultra-Super Turbo-SF5 on X1.

Well, if he ever were to leave Capcom, he'll probably have opportunities at Sony.
If Ono wanted to work for Sony, I'm sure they'd be happy to give him a team, but Sony have never seemed overly eager about acquiring talent. For example, they bought Naughty Dog, but they seemed equally happy to continue working with the independent Insomniac.

It seems like if you're willing to bring quality content to their platform, then Sony are happy. If you'd like to form a tighter relationship, even better.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
PCs are not in my purview. I don't really consider PCs to be the home of gaming; consoles are. And in the world of consoles, the PS4 is where games will fulfill their most potential.

PS4 is for gaming, PCs are for sending emails and writing reports and doing some online shopping.

I usually have fun in GAF but then I come across posts like this one and I wonder if the median age is 13. :/

On topic, I think it is a great step forward for the series to have all the multiplayer base together. If MS isn't willing to adapt and allow cross-platform multiplayer then future revisions will probably stay only on PS4.

Don't see it for KI. Mortal Kombat will get a boost though.

Killer Instinct is becoming respected. I hope the numbers get better for Killer Instinct this EVO. This Street Fighter 5 news will steal some thunder.

EVO 2014 registration numbers by game via Event Hubs

Ultra Street Fighter 4 - 1,979
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 - 1,014
Super Smash Bros. Melee - 970
BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma - 508
Killer Instinct - 338
King of Fighters 13 - 319
Injustice: Gods Among Us - 311
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 257

Game Guru

I really doubt the mouse and keyboard vs controller argument is really valid now. Especially with an entire generation growing up playing shooters in controllers. It would be like the arcade stick vs controller argument and we all saw at EVO that someone can get just so good if not better using a controller than the perceived notion of what a game was designed to play for.

A game controller is not that much different from an arcade stick... With fighters, you have the movement control on the left side and buttons on the right side, and the main difference is in the type of movement control offered. However, in regards to FPS, the main issue is the difference between the analog stick and the mouse. Shooters work best with a pointer control and the mouse is the PC's pointer control and designed for pointing and clicking specifically, whereas the analog stick of the controller was never designed to freely point like the mouse is.

Moonstone

Has MS actually said they disallow crossplatform play? Sf5 threads are the first Ive heard of the notion.

This was claimed by the War Thunder developer, MS instantly denied it, though.

However - if Capcom wanted to do crossplay to get a big online community, they would have to pick sides, as xbox/ps crossplay won't happen in the near future (unfortunatly).

Squire

Banned
If Sony only funded the game, then I agree with you. If Sony produce any assets in the game it could be a different story.

I highly doubt they are. Capcom probably isn't themselves. I expect that Ono is leading the project and Dimps is actually making the game same as usual.

Omni

You know the NeoGAF shit posts twitter isn't running any more, right?

Top Bottom