• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V is getting thrashed by the Steam reviews

Outside of content and network issues, which I know will improve with time, my biggest irk about the game is the lack of DirectInput support for sticks.

The game is a PS4 exclusive, but on PC it only natively supports Xbox / Xinput controllers, not the DirectInput / PS4 controllers. Odd.

After SFIV, SFV is a huge step up in presentation and I love the overall package. But there's not a whole lot to love just yet. I knew that going in, but a lot of people didn't and that's why the reviews are so negative which is to be understood.

Pompadour

You do realize that there was a time when human beings didn't have the Internet, right?

Yeah, and they played other people in person or played a game designed to be single player.

Playing fighting games against the AI is the videogame equivalent of ordering your steak well done. Some people like it, sure, but it seems like a waste to me.

You do realize that there was a time when human beings didn't have the Internet, right?

You know what, I can understand if you just woke up one day- turned on your computer and said, "Oh wow! Capcom made a new street fighter! It came out today! This is great, I'm going to pay a full $60 on the first day a game I didn't anticipate is being released!"

That's understandable although unlikely

This belly aching seems more like dogpile group thinking

Not understandable, but not surprising with guys hardcore playing videogames these days

breakfuss

Yeah, and they played other people in person or played a game designed to be single player. Playing fighting games against the AI is the equivalent of ordering your steak well done.

Is this a joke? You may well say that about racing games, then. And maybe it's just my experience but most of the people I know IRL prefer not to play online. It's dominated by players who kick your ass.

Yeah, and they played other people in person or played a game designed to be single player. Playing fighting games against the AI is the equivalent of ordering your steak well done.

Dude, you know it can be both, right? That people enjoy the single player aspects of fighting games to get acclimated to characters, try out new ones and whatnot and traditionally thats been done in more than just practice mode.

Calling out of a lack of single player options is a valid thing when you're paying 60$ and you compare to the previous game in the series.

If fighting games had always been like that then you'd be right

Edzi

What I've learned from GAF is that people will used whatever strawman they possibly can to defend a game being released incomplete.

Is it really incomplete if they outlined what they wanted the game to be beforehand? They've said it's going to be a platform where releases of content will happen in the coming months, and clearly the focus is multiplayer (both online and offline). If you didn't do your research, that's pretty much on you.

Legitimate complaints are one thing (like how unlocking colors in survival is kinda ass), but in this case it really sounds like people are just angry Capcom didn't give them the game they personally wanted.

Yeah, and they played other people in person or played a game designed to be single player.

Playing fighting games against the AI is the videogame equivalent of ordering your steak well done. Some people like it, sure, but it seems like a waste to me.

I'm sorry, but Arcade Mode has been a staple of fighters for over 20 years. For Capcom to suddenly decide to not include it in their brand new fighter is inexcusable. You can argue against that until you're blue in the face, but it's not going to change the fact that it's a HUGE oversight, and they deserve to be called out for it.

Is it really incomplete if they outlined what they wanted the game to be beforehand and that didn't include certain modes? They've said it's going to be a platform, releases of content will happen in the coming months, and clearly the focus is multiplayer (both online and offline). If you didn't do your research, that's pretty much on you.

Legitimate complaints are one thing (like how unlocking colors in survival is kinda ass), but in this case it really sounds like people are just angry Capcom didn't give them the game they personally wanted.

it's called street fighter 5, not street fighter online esports daigo edition.

Edzi

it's called street fighter 5, not street fighter online esports bodied edition.

Well, it kinda has the main components of a Street Fighter game. Like the street fighting.

And you don't have to be online to practice with a CPU or play with friends, which as far as I understand has always been the primary way you were expected to play SF.

farisr

Is it really incomplete if they outlined what they wanted the game to be beforehand and that didn't include certain modes?
They NEVER addressed Arcade mode or vs AI nor did they detail out what character story mode was exactly. Also, apparently, the store demos of SFV had you playing against AI in the expected best of 3 matches, which isn't in the game right now.

Pompadour

Is it really incomplete if they outlined what they wanted the game to be beforehand and that didn't include certain modes? They've said it's going to be a platform, releases of content will happen in the coming months, and clearly the focus is multiplayer (both online and offline). If you didn't do your research, that's pretty much on you.

The Survival mode thing is my biggest issue with the game, personally. And I think the lack of a Vs. CPU is definitely weird (not bad, just odd). But it literally stuns me people like playing against the computer so much that the lack of that feature, albeit standard, has caused so much outrage. In fact, the outrage is so unbelievable that I can't actually believe it. I think people are being disingenuous and want to take pot shots at an easy target.

If this game had an arcade mode and Vs. CPU they would be just as mad because the story mode is shitty. They would just have less ammunition against the game.

Edzi

They NEVER addressed Arcade mode or vs AI nor did they detail out what character story mode was exactly. Also, apparently, the store demos of SFV had you playing against AI in the expected best of 3 matches, which isn't in the game right now.

Tbh, the way you can set and fight the CPU in training seems to be a good replacement for normal vs CPU matches, and survival+story prologues sort takes care of what arcade took care of before. I really don't think those modes were a core part of the game the way some people are making them out to be.

The Survival mode thing is my biggest issue with the game, personally. And I think the lack of a Vs. CPU is definitely weird (not bad, just odd). But it literally stuns me people like playing against the computer so much that the lack of that feature, albeit standard, has caused so much outrage. In fact, the outrage is so unbelievable that I can't actually believe it. I think people are being disingenuous and want to take pot shots at an easy target.

If this game had an arcade mode and Vs. CPU they would be just as mad because the story mode is shitty. They would just have less ammunition against the game.

Yeah, a lot of the outrage is honestly throwing me off.

I mean, it's not just that they didn't include certain modes. Look at the "story mode" for instance. They said going in that the game would have a story mode but it's hard to argue that the story mode they gave us was complete. 2-4 fights against barely finished AI. It's a tad ridiculous. And I know that they said previously that another story mode is coming, but I don't think it's wrong to expect a little more than what we got.

Also, just because they outlined what they were doing beforehand doesn't mean that the game isn't incomplete. If you say "we are releasing 50% of the game at launch, but here is an outline for the other 50%!" then it's still incomplete. You are correct though that at that point it's sort of the consumer's fault for buying it.

CLEEK

What year are we now?

Doesn't matter what the year is. A sizeable proportion of people play SF games primarily / solely for the single player.

SSFIV sold 1.2m copies on 3DS. Will the toxic FGC folks try to claim that the game was only sold to competitive players? What about the iOS game? Do you get people at Evo controlling the game with an iPhone? Or the thousands upon thousands of PS3/360 owners of SFIV who have their console offline, or don't have Live.

The PS1 Alpha games were on sale again a couple of weeks ago. What about the people who buy these?They're buying them to play arcade mode against CPU.

farisr

Tbh, the way you can set and fight the CPU in training seems to be a good replacement for normal vs CPU matches, and survival+story prologues sort takes care of what arcade took care of before. I really don't think those modes were a core part of the game the way some people are making them out to be.
Except survival mode has always been a separate thing from arcade mode for a reason, it appeals to a different type of player and is a different experience from Arcade mode. And anyone who's seriously into vs CPU will say that the training mode method is not a good replacement for normal vs CPU matches.

Zomba13

Well yeah, if the game had less wrong with it people would have less things to complain about. Instead of "where are these modes that are a standard in every other Fighting game available now and in the past?" people would go to the other complaints like "Why doesn't the game explain its new systems?". The only issue with the shitty story is that it's still called "Story Mode" and called "Character Stories" when really, it's a Character Prologue for the proper story coming in June. It's just bad labelling on Capcom's part that inflates expectations.

Except survival mode has always been a separate thing from arcade mode for a reason, it appeals to a different type of player and is a different experience from Arcade mode. And anyone who's seriously into vs CPU will say that the training mode method is not a good replacement for normal vs CPU matches.

Yup. While Survival is a fine mode and a nice twist with using the score as a currency for buffs it's not the same as a simple best of 3.
Same with the Training mode, it's fine to have that option and needed but it doesn't compare to a proper best of 3 match not only because it is a hassle to set up every time but because it doesn't really behave the same as a proper match. It's like if they took away online multiplayer but left local and you had people saying "you can still play with people around the world, you just have to go local and use one of the LAN tunnel programs!"

Edzi

I mean, it's not just that they didn't include certain modes. Look at the "story mode" for instance. They said going in that the game would have a story mode but it's hard to argue that the story mode they gave us was complete. 2-4 fights against barely finished AI. It's a tad ridiculous. And I know that they said previously that another story mode is coming, but I don't think it's wrong to expect a little more than what we got.

Also, just because they outlined what they were doing beforehand doesn't mean that the game isn't incomplete. If you say "we are releasing 50% of the game at launch, but here is an outline for the other 50%!" then it's still incomplete. You are correct though that at that point it's sort of the consumer's fault for buying it.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they've always describe the current story mode as character prologues, which is exactly what they are (and they're not even bad, when that's considered).

But yeah, single player content is clearly not fleshed out, but I don't think it was ever supposed to be in a game like this.

I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around the type of player that values single player and arcade mode so highly in a fighting game like Street Fighter. I feel like at most, the appropriate reaction should have been "oh, bummer, no arcade" instead of the "F*** Capcom, I want my money back" we've been seeing.

Shadoken

Almost as stupid as releasing a fighting game without a basic 'fight 8 matches against a CPU with a difficulty setting of your choice' arcade mode in 2016.

I mean, posting here on gaf I think most of us at least were aware that the game was shipping without all of its content, but if you told me that it wouldn't have a 'vs AI' mode of any significance, I would've laughed at the very notion, yet here we are.

But There is already a thread complaining specifically about that. Why make another thread and then talk about the exact same thing?

And yes the missing Arcade mode does seem very dumb. Its something an intern could setup up in a few hours. Literally everything needed for it is already there.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure they've always describe the current story mode as character prologues, which is exactly what they are (and they're not even bad, when that's considered).

But yeah, single player content is clearly not fleshed out, but I don't think it was ever supposed to be in a game like this.

Reading previews they said "The game will launch Feb. 16 with Character Stories mode, which gives each of the 16 characters his or her own story-driven campaign that details their motivations, background, and relationships with other characters. These stories feature art by veteran Capcom artist Bengus, who worked on a number of the company’s popular titles such as the Darkstalkers and Marvel vs. Capcom series."

I saw that line written more or less the same in multiple previews, so I'm assuming that's a line Capcom PR is giving them.

I don't think it's unreasonable reading that to expect you'd be getting something similar to every single story mode they've ever done in a Street Fighter game (IE you pick a character, get some brief story told with artwork, fight 10 or so fights including maybe a boss, and get an ending).

Okay. Let me get this straight.

You are infering that people WANT to dislike this game just to fullfill some unknown agenda?

And earlier this thread you said that Meta-Crittic user score was low because X-Box players voted it down?

Why are you dismissing valid complains such as barebones release?
How do you explain the bad Steam reviews?

Why are you son invested on seeing the "honor" of this game clean?

A bad product SHOULD be called out by consumers.

Am I the only person on Earth who never played Alpha 3 against another human being and just played World Tour mode and Dramatic Battle? That was fun as hell and I wonder why Capcom never brought it back.

I tried SF5 at a friend's place and it should have been a free to play game if Capcom wanted to launch it like this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Even then, there's a time where online multiplayer for the genre simply does not work. Like... oh... now.

Someone said "if you don't have a 10Meg Upstream/Downstream connection, don't even bother with the online" in another thread. Which while absurd for a variety of reasons, the number one is: The infrastructure for that standard simply isn't there. Shit, most rural areas aren't even getting more than a meg (1meg) if that. If you're game requires that absurd requirement and doesn't offer alternatives for those that don't, you're going to lose quite a lot of customers.

Am I the only person on Earth who never played Alpha 3 against another human being and just played World Tour mode and Dramatic Battle? That was fun as hell and I wonder why Capcom never brought it back.

I tried SF5 at a friend's place and it should have been a free to play game if Capcom wanted to launch it like this.

I still play the PSP version of Alpha 3. It's the best single player Street Fighter by miles. The roster is enormous too.

taa0098

Neo Member
And yes the missing Arcade mode does seem very dumb. Its something an intern could setup up in a few hours. Literally everything needed for it is already there.

This is the only part I'm confused about. I don't really give a shit about arcade mode, but it seems like something that would take almost no effort to make, especially for something that would inevitably garner backlash from this.

breakfuss

Lol dude I just mentioned it a few posts back. It was glorious.

Lol, how young are you?

StreetFighterII_ArcadeCabinet-546x728.jpg

90% of people played against the machine in here as a kid.

danmaku

This is the only part I'm confused about. I don't really give a shit about arcade mode, but it seems like something that would take almost no effort to make, especially for something that would inevitably garner backlash from this.

Maybe it's not in the game because they don't have a boss character (yet?). There's Bison, but he played that part already.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

No, you're not. A lot of people have mentioned that, weapon master/quest from Soul Calibur 2 and the like as "good offline/singleplayer modes that engage people that have no interest in online/local versus."

Unfortunately, it seems like Capcom didn't get that message and it'll be a year or two before we even see an idea of that given their content pipe-line roadmap for this year.

Could be Capcom misread their various audiences and didn't think it would be such a big deal. They should have been prepared to cater to their online and offline audiences, because both exist and both purchase Street Figher games.

You do realize a lot of people play single player modes in multiplayer-focused games with the intention of playing multiplayer, and go through the single player first to get acclimated to characters, get to know the rules and mechanics, pick their favorite characters they'll main, and get their feet wet, right? But instead of acknowledging this incredibly common use of single player, you instead choose to chalk it up to people wanting to shit on SFV because reasons. You're not "believing" the "outrage" only because you're determined to dismiss it.

You mean people wouldn't have complained as much if the game was better? No shit.

Zomba13

I'm still having trouble wrapping my mind around the type of player that values single player and arcade mode so highly in a fighting game like Street Fighter. I feel like at most, the appropriate reaction should have been "oh, bummer, no arcade" instead of the "F*** Capcom, I want my money back" we've been seeing.

I'm the kind of person who isn't that good at fighting games.
I don't much care for the stories in most of them because they were mostly bad, though recently have been getting better and more interesting (as in interesting to play/watch) with things like MK9 and X, Persona 4 Arena, Guilty Gear Xrd.

When I get a new fighting game, before I go online and get my ass kicked I like to learn the characters. I hop in to training as each character that catches my attention (as in no charge characters because I've never been able to reliable use them). I get to grips with their specials and inputs and normals and then I usually jump into a combo trial mode or whatever character specific thing they have to teach you the inputs and some basic combos and cancels. Yes, sometimes the combos taught aren't viable but it teaches me more about the character from within the game (as in I don't have to go on youtube and watch an expert break down frame data and say why I should never use a move etc).

Then, when I have a basic handle, as in I know my normals and what specials do what, I hop into Arcade and play through it with the best of 3 round default options. It gets me a feel for meter usage, how it builds in a real environment, and still end up winning. Then I might go do something else, go away, play another character, whatever. But then I got back on a harder difficulty and try again.

Yes, it's not against real people but it helps me get the basics down and feel comfortable with a character in an environment that uses the same format as an actual online match. Then when I go online I feel "ok, I know basically what to do here, lets try some casual/unranked and fight real people and see how the netcode and lag is" instead of "lets jump online with this character that has just beat a training dummy a bit and one CPU character because it's such a hassle to try a normal match against the whole roster" and then get destroyed and not learn anything.

Yes, this game has Survival but it's different rules than online. Online I can't go into my next round and spend score for more meter or a damage boost, I don't play against the opponent with gimped health from that last round. Story has you pumped up and against stupid AI you can't make harder, again not the same. The only way to get a match even close to online is to use the training mode settings and even then it lacks a lot of the appeal of Arcade of Vs CPU mode, stuff like ease of use, a stream of different enemies, online round format etc.

The End

Wasn't Sony making some noise about doing it's own Early Access program?

I'd imagine that releasing Street Fighter V: First Strike as EA would quell a lot of the anger, but Sony may not be too keen to do a physical release of an EA game.

Pompadour

Okay. Let me get this straight.

You are infering that people WANT to dislike this game just to fullfill some unknown agenda?

And earlier this thread you said that Meta-Crittic user score was low because X-Box players voted it down?

Why are you dismissing valid complains such as barebones release?
How do you explain the bad Steam reviews?

Why are you son invested on seeing the "honor" of this game clean?

A bad product SHOULD be called out by consumers.

I'll address the bolded first because I never said that and I don't believe that to be the case. You're confusing me with another poster. I said that there probably is a lot of 0/10 or 1/10 user reviews for this game on Metacritic because this is the internet and gamers, for whatever reason, are stupidly passionate about their hobby to the point where they'll waste their time rating a game way lower than what they genuinely believe it should be rated (if they have played the game at all, of course).

Everything else you've asked I've elaborated elsewhere in this thread. The game has issues, yes, but the ones people decided to target are baffling to me. And yeah, I think in general people have an axe to grind with Capcom and there's a percentage of the people shitting on this game because they got burned by them in the past (or think they're out to rip customers off like their the videogame equivalent of Nigerian email scammers). I've always thought those people were dumb but, frankly, I'm not bothering to defend Street Fighter V as an unimpeachable videogame because the launch was fucked up, the Survival mode is poorly designed, and the lack of arcade and Vs. CPU seem so odd.

That's a specific area where I don't get the attributed malevolence on Capcom's part when they left out Vs. CPU. Does anyone think that takes any time at all to implement? I imagine, like me, they thought people wouldn't care so they didn't bother to stick in the game. Apparently they were incredibly wrong.

I also don't think this is a bad product, not even close. So I think it's silly that people are heralding this game as a travesty because a few rinky dink modes were left out. That's why I said I don't think that reaction, for most people, is even sincere.

You do realize a lot of people play single player modes in multiplayer-focused games with the intention of playing multiplayer, and go through the single player first to get acclimated to characters, get to know the rules and mechanics, pick their favorite characters they'll main, and get their feet wet, right? But instead of acknowledging this incredibly common use of single player, you instead choose to chalk it up to people wanting to shit on SFV because reasons. You're not "believing" the "outrage" only because you're determined to dismiss it.

You can get your feet wet in Survival mode.

Lol, how young are you?

StreetFighterII_ArcadeCabinet-546x728.jpg

90% of people played against the machine in here as a kid.

I played the original Street Fighter II in arcades, actually, against other people. And I also played it against the computer. But it's 2016, if I wanted to play a combo heavy beat-em-up against a computer opponent I'd pick a game like Bayonetta that was designed around that core concept.

KevinCow

Banned
It kinda blows my mind that people are defending this game's blatant lack of features, saying stuff like, "Well you shouldn't have bought it then!"

I didn't know about this game's lack of features when I preordered it. I didn't follow its development religiously. I preordered it on a whim because I was interested in checking out what was undoubtedly going to be the next big fighting game, and I don't think it was unreasonable for me to expect it to have the same features that I got in vanilla Street Fighter IV, the last time I really got into Street Fighter, seven whole years ago.

When I got Mortal Kombat X last year, I did basically what Zomba13 up there described, except replace going online with going to local tournaments. And yes, practicing against the computer wasn't enough to make me win at local tournaments, but it was enough to get me to where I understood my character and could figure out what I was doing wrong against human opponents and generally get better and have fun.

I was planning on doing basically the same thing with SFV. But I can't, because I can't properly play against computer opponents. So I have no idea how I'm going to get even competent enough to show my face at SFV tournaments.

breakfuss

Can't believe people are defending this. I've seen it all..

Enjoy your half-baked game. I'll be in for the inevitable discounted "complete edition".

Granted, I've only followed the Sony Street Fighter IV/V deal from afar, but with two cocked up releases it feels like it didn't deliver like people said it would. Sony's money would guarantee an early launch (that much is true) and a scope that wouldn't otherwise have been possible (heh). In short, it was said that Street Fighter wouldn't have been possible without the deal. Yet here we are with a port that was deemed unfit for competitive play, and a brand new entry that's hacked to pieces. I'm not sure I can imagine the alternative.

My issue with how capcom has handled street fighter is that by releasing it in this state, they are hurting one of the most iconic franchises in games.

The greater issue I have is that publishers should learn to either manage their time and resources better to meet deadlines or just don't release your games unfinished or broken. I feel like we are accepting lower and lower standards as consumers. I'm personally gonna wait until this summer to buy the game because I do want the single player stuff. I don't want to jump straight into online after not having played the game in over 10 years.

With steam reviews if people know what's in the package, then they shouldn't buy it and then act surprised and be outraged by it.

KevinCow

Banned
I played the original Street Fighter II in arcades, actually, against other people. And I also played it against the computer. But it's 2016, if I wanted to play a combo heavy beat-em-up against a computer opponent I'd pick a game like Bayonetta that was designed around that core concept.

What the fuck? Street Fighter and Bayonetta are completely different genres. This is like dismissing all criticism of Halo by saying, "Yeah? Well go play Tetris instead."

breakfuss

What the fuck? Street Fighter and Bayonetta are completely different genres. This is like dismissing all criticism of Halo by saying, "Yeah? Well go play Tetris instead."

I honestly feel some people are doubling down on the rationalizations because they don't want to feel like they got suckered out of $60.

I'll address the bolded first because I never said that and I don't believe that to be the case. You're confusing me with another poster. I said that there probably is a lot of 0/10 or 1/10 user reviews for this game on Metacritic because this is the internet and gamers, for whatever reason, are stupidly passionate about their hobby to the point where they'll waste their time rating a game way lower than what they genuinely believe it should be rated (if they have played the game at all, of course).

Everything else you've asked I've elaborated elsewhere in this thread. The game has issues, yes, but the ones people decided to target are baffling to me. And yeah, I think in general people have an axe to grind with Capcom and there's a percentage of the people shitting on this game because they got burned by them in the past (or think they're out to rip customers off like their the videogame equivalent of Nigerian email scammers). I've always thought those people were dumb but, frankly, I'm not bothering to defend Street Fighter V as an unimpeachable videogame because the launch was fucked up, the Survival mode is poorly designed, and the lack of arcade and Vs. CPU seem so odd.

That's a specific area where I don't get the attributed malevolence on Capcom's part when they left out Vs. CPU. Does anyone think that takes any time at all to implement? I imagine, like me, they thought people wouldn't care so they didn't bother to stick in the game. Apparently they were incredibly wrong.

I also don't think this is a bad product, not even close. So I think it's silly that people are heralding this game as a travesty because a few rinky dink modes were left out. That's why I said I don't think that reaction, for most people, is even sincere.

You can get your feet wet in Survival mode.

Thanks for responding. And I'm sorry to have you confused with another poster, my mistake.

Trust me when I tell you that I have no axe to grind with Capcom, but I honestly feel that SFV is not a game worth $60 given that I'm mostly an offline gamer (and yes, I liked arcade modes on all previous SFs).

I think many companies are in for a rude awakening this generation regarding game content, pricing and distribution. And this kind of backlash I feel is an important step on the right direction.

Maybe some companies should listen to what consumers have to say after all.

Warxard

Banned
With all of these single player only fighting game fans it's no wonder why it's hard to teach people how to play them

Top Bottom