• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V News - One Disc, Roster Selection Process, Stages, Long Term, etc

No :( , unless the new Killer Instinct does? (No X-Bone so haven't played it yet).

It's pretty close. The only characters that share stages atm are Jago, Shadow Jago, and Omen, and for the latter two, it's at least an alternate version with a heavily remixed theme.

HardRojo

I really wish they do what they did with Super SFIV. If you have that disc then that's the only one you need if you so wish and update digitally, but you can also get the upgrades physically.

Capcom said fans will know the entire roster before the game is released in the spring of 2016 as well, with a steady amount of reveals along the way.

"We do all of the major event circuits, so we'll make sure, if you're at a key event, there's likely going to be some sort of character reveal, but it will very clear when the whole launch roster is announced," Dahlgren stated.

- Comic Con (July)
- EVO (July)
- TGS (September)
- Paris Games Week (October)
- PSX (December - TBC)
- Capcom Cup Finals (December)
- Taipei Games Show (January)

JediLink

So this is the Ken Bogard rumor for everyone's convenience:

- Time / Weather effects in stages
- Release date : 2016, before the end of the fiscal year.
- Unreal Engine 4
- The new mechanic is named V-Trigger : You can change your stance.
- 16 characters
- No Super Street Fighter 2X + EX (Updates kinda like League of Legends / Killer Instinct)
- The story mode will be way much better, they know they f***** up with sf4.
- The PC version is here mostly because they want to bring the game to Latin America, South Asia, Africa...

16 characters at launch is basically confirmed at this point, and possibly get hype for a good story mode as well?

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So this is the Ken Bogard rumor for everyone's convenience:

- Time / Weather effects in stages
- Release date : 2016, before the end of the fiscal year.
- Unreal Engine 4
- The new mechanic is named V-Trigger : You can change your stance.
- 16 characters
- No Super Street Fighter 2X + EX (Updates kinda like League of Legends / Killer Instinct)
- The story mode will be way much better, they know they f***** up with sf4.
- The PC version is here mostly because they want to bring the game to Latin America, South Asia, Africa...

16 characters at launch is basically confirmed at this point, and possibly get hype for a good story mode as well?

Add one more!

- 4 newcomers (???, Laura, Rachid, and Zen)

JimiNutz

Banned
I want to hear what single player content the game will have and what they are going to do to try and introduce the game and make it accessible for a new generation of players.

I've never really played Street Fighter, would really like to but find it quite daunting and not especially fun any time I do try to play.

They need to introduce interesting single player content and unique and engaging ways for new players to learn the gameplay mechanics other than a bog standard training mode.

Jawmuncher

Poll rankings not being followed?
*bites nails*
I need my Juri though and she was the highest ranked SF4 rep. I'm gonna be pretty disheartened if we somehow get Rufus or someone else low ranked instead of her.

*bites nails*
I need my Juri though and she was the highest ranked SF4 rep. I'm gonna be pretty disheartened if we somehow get Rufus or someone else low ranked instead of her.

Birdie shows that they aren't following it entirely since he was in the bottom 10 characters in the history of the series.

*bites nails*
Juri is a dumb character, but I could see her getting in this game. Hopefully she will be the only SF4 rep in this game...

I agree. Juri is a stupid character aesthetically but not mechanically. If we need an SF4 rep, one of my top picks would be her.

Korigama

From what I heard, Karin is in the same situation that Strider Hiryu wass in.
Which has no basis in fact since everything he appears in has separate copyright information, while that doesn't apply to any games in which she shows up.

RedAssedApe

Banned
not having specific character stages is kind of a bummer. hopefully they make them more memorable this time around. there weren't any iconic stages in sf4 that stood out to me.

Jawmuncher

Birdie shows that they aren't following it entirely since he was in the bottom 10 characters in the history of the series.
Shame they had to make him even more disliked now by making him another "fat guy" character. Hopefully it's actually story related in that he let himself go after the alpha tournaments.
I agree. Juri is a stupid character aesthetically but not mechanically. If we need an SF4 rep, one of my top picks would be her.

Juri is a dumb character, but I could see her getting in this game. Hopefully she will be the only SF4 rep in this game...

Gonna have to disagree on that first part, but if she was the only SF4 rep to come back I wouldn't have issue with that.

wapplew

not having specific character stages is kind of a bummer. hopefully they make them more memorable this time around. there weren't any iconic stages in sf4 that stood out to me.

China and London in SFV are impressive, I'm sure we are in good hands.

Pachinko

This is the one type of game I would happily buy a season pass for. I mean , I did it for KI so why not SF ?

It's actually pretty cool to get a new character to play around with every month or 2 , who knows the exact specifics of what SFV will have but I can imagine many similarities.

Launches with 16 playable characters, perhaps a hidden character and a boss , then maybe 3 months go by and 2 new characters are available , then 3 more more months and 2 more pop up and finally after 9 months - maybe the hidden character and boss get balanced into the main game and after a year goes by maybe a big season finale ? 4 characters ?

Either way, I'm down.

KingJ2002

One disc re-iteration is big news... If i hear about a Turbo, Super or Ultra edition... it better be the name of the DLC packs.

I still expect a "definitive edition" though.

Renekton

This sounds unnecessarily expensive as each future new character will need own stage.

Again, there are no licensing issues with Karin. They just don't want to bring her back.

She was in Namco x Capcom, so I'm inclined to agree.
EeouuBR.jpg

AAK

Not falling for it, there will be another disc release. They can deny it all they want but looking at their history, we should know better.

Korigama

She was in Namco x Capcom, so I'm inclined to agree.
EeouuBR.jpg
Indeed. That also being an example of a game where Strider has separate copyright information, yet Karin doesn't.

I'd love to have her back, but I'm keeping my expectations very low. Knowing Capcom, I'd even expect someone like Necro to have better chances.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I still don't believe them. I believe there will be more disc releases for those behind the curve. Putting out disc based collections is great for those who suffer for internet caps.

Which is fine. It's not a big deal if there are. But there are some market realities at work here that say that there will be more retail versions. It's also a smart move.

Not falling for it, there will be another disc release. They can deny it all they want but looking at their history, we should know better.

He said the one disc is all you'll ever need...as in, everything new will be DLC option.

Does not mean will not be a disc with all DLC on it, and is nothing wrong with that if there is, will always be new players looking for a full package, or just people who prefer physical.

I still don't believe them. I believe there will be more disc releases for those behind the curve. Putting out disc based collections is great for those who suffer for internet caps.

Which is fine. It's not a big deal if there are. But there are some market realities at work here that say that there will be more retail versions. It's also a smart move.

Yes, they're lying. That's it.

Vex_

Banned
*bites nails*

Juri is the only representative for Korea. They arent leaving her out.

Expect a slight redesign though.

Sayad

『Inaba Resident』;170537132 said:
When has Capcom said there wasn't going to be a disc release and yet there was?
They said there wont be an SF4 update, and then they released Super. But with Super they said you'll be able to update digitally to any other version and they kept their word.

Sayad

No one said there wont be such a thing, you just wont have to rebuy a new disc for the new update if you already have the base SFV.

Vex_

Banned
Oh god. I just realized the whole counter mechanic they have in sfv compliments Karin's style unusually well.

Oh GOD.

Omega

Banned

If there is a disc release it's going to be optional and more of a convenience for the tournament scene.

From his wording people who aren't tournament organizers will be just fine with SF V and be able to download all the updates digitially.

Tizoc

<Sigh> Only bad thing about this news. Is it really That much of a tax on resources in this day and age to do character exclusive stages/music?

They didn't mention that the game won't character exclusive music.

Where does it say there will only be one disc release?

You only need one disc for Super SF4 to Ultra, after all.
Exactly. The way they worded it it's basically a confirmation there will be Gold or Complete editions later on. But you don't need them, you can get every further upgrade as DLC.
Same as it has been since SSF4 (=> AE => Ultra).

Every character won't have a stage based on them

Boo. Booooooooooooo.

I wouldn't expect a new stage for every DLC character that will inevitably come, but each character in the base game having their own stage doesn't seem like a big ask.

To me, fighting game characters have always been as much defined by their background stages and their theme tunes as their appearances or fighting styles. It's part of the reason I love the genre and why they're probably going to be ingrained in my memory until I die.

Top Bottom