• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V News - One Disc, Roster Selection Process, Stages, Long Term, etc

Gren

Gah, I need to read more closely next time.

SSFIV upgrade path from the get-go is at least an improvement over how SFIV/MVC3 worked. Some (perhaps many) folks will always be adverse to another copy no matter how much additional content is added.

For those complaining about disc updates, I hope you didn't care about Super Turbo or Third Strike. Street Fighter has always been updated and refined.

I'd hate for SF5 to end up being locked into a barebones disc and a bunch of DLC over the years, although it's pretty likely that it will eventually get a Ultra style release with everything on it for posterity.

Walpurgis

Banned
"This is the only disc you're ever going to need to own to get all of the content in the game, but we'll be revealing details of how our post-launch content happens at a later date, but it will be good news," he concluded.
Translation: We will release Street Fighter V and have 1 month of post-launch support in the form of over priced costumes and you will only require one disc to experience this glory. We will also be releasing Ultimate Street Fighter V in holiday 2016 but that is a completely different game that requires ANOTHER disc and will have its own post-launch support!

Thores

I'd want Abel / juri to return.
Have blanka, rolento, adon, skullomania and Garuda and i'm good

I think Juri and Abel are the most likely IV newcomers to return in V's initial release, actually. Juri's the most popular newcomer and Abel has pretty big potential story ties to Nash.

Um.. good luck with your other guesses though

danmaku

Well, there you go! That's awesome! No excuse for Capcom in these regards then.

KI was extremely bare bones at release, and was heavily criticized for that. It only had 6 or 7 characters, SF5 will have more than double. You can have very few characters and stages, or a lot more characters and a few stages.

iBlue

One disc... so that means no more Ultra super SF 2.5? if thats the case, everyone should get it digital!

Producer

Translation: We will release Street Fighter V and have 1 month of post-launch support in the form of over priced costumes and you will only require one disc to experience this glory. We will also be releasing Ultimate Street Fighter V in holiday 2016 but that is a completely different game that will have its own post-launch support!

Yep, that is definately what happened with SF4 after all.

miserable

"Every character won't have a stage based on them, but we will be staying true to the Street Fighter franchise in bringing new locations throughout the globe to the game in the form of new stages, but there won't be parity between characters and stages.

stages in a fighting game are hard to make yo, like HD towns

Tizoc

Translation: We will release Street Fighter V and have 1 month of post-launch support in the form of over priced costumes and you will only require one disc to experience this glory. We will also be releasing Ultimate Street Fighter V in holiday 2016 but that is a completely different game that will have its own post-launch support!

SSF4 says otherwise.
They are likely to follow in the footsteps of what they did with SSF4, though I would much rather that gameplay updates be free and characters be paid ala Killer Instinct for the latter.

Lulubop

Capcom is so evil! Omg!

We know this game is getting updated editions. It's not new, it's not funny, and it's not a bad thing. Get your corny ass outta here

fader

Capcom is so evil! Omg!

We know this game is getting updated editions. It's not new, it's not funny, and it's not a bad thing. Get your corny ass outta here

giphy.gif

KORNdoggy

one disc as in, all content will be on it? or one disc as in there won't be a "complete edition" in a years time with all the DLC?

Walpurgis

Banned
Yep, that is definately what happened with SF4 after all.

SSF4 says otherwise.
They are likely to follow in the footsteps of what they did with SSF4, though I would much rather that gameplay updates be free and characters be paid ala Killer Instinct for the latter.

Capcom is so evil! Omg!

If I offended you, I am not sorry. It's what happened with the last Capcom fighter that I purchased (MvC 3). Street Fighter x Tekken wasn't very inspiring either. I think it makes more sense to judge them on those games as they were a lot more recent.

fader

If I offended you, I am not sorry. It's what happened with the last Capcom fighter that I purchased (MvC 3). Street Fighter x Tekken wasn't very inspiring either. I think it makes more sense to judge them on those games as they were a lot more recent.

MVC3 is a special story... The tsunami kinda forced Capcom's hand with that 1 year later UMVC3 release

The "Killer Instinct way", is just the Super SF4 way.

Ever since 2010, everything from SF4 has been dlc updates.

Super wasn't even problematic. It added TEN characters, more stages, more modes, complete rebalance, and new ultras for everyone in the game. It didn't cost $60 (only 40) and was released more than a year later.

They just want to avoid splitting off the online community. Disc requirements just hurts the community as a whole and the online experience as a whole. It means less players to play against and a longer wait for matches. It also prevents players from being stranded on that Vanilla island and allows players to try getting back into the game.

Tizoc

Once again you neglect Super SF4, which this game will follow in its footsteps in terms of release and updates.

MVC3 is a special story... The tsunami kinda forced Capcom's hand with that 1 year later UMVC3 release

I think there's more to it, recall that
1- Disney bought Marvel at around that time
2- Capcom's use of the Marvel license got in a kurfuffle due to the Disney thing, and may have limited how MvC3 would've come out

One thing that may seem minor to most, but was kind of a big deal to me was the music. Although they were very well done for the most part in SFIV, character theme tracks were wasted on single player "story bouts" or whatever they were called. Basically the only time a character song plays (that I can remember) is the fight right before the final boss. Otherwise you get generic stage songs the whole game.

A great option I would like to see in single player is Chun Li's theme playing when you fight Chun Li, Balrog's theme plays when you fight Balrog, ect. regardless of the stage they are fighting in.

If playing a versus match, the song is a random choice between the two characters who are fighting. If the same two characters are chosen a fourth time in a row (through "rematch" option for example) the randomizer opens up to every character's song, in order to avoid fatigue.

Thores

One thing that may seem minor to most, but was kind of a big deal to me was the music. Although they were very well done for the most part in SFIV, character theme tracks were wasted on single player "story bouts" or whatever they were called. Basically the only time a character song plays (that I can remember) is the fight right before the final boss. Otherwise you get generic stage songs the whole game.

A great option I would like to see in single player is Chun Li's theme playing when you fight Chun Li, Balrog's theme plays when you fight Balrog, ect. regardless of the stage they are fighting in.

If playing a versus match, the song is a random choice between the two characters who are fighting. If the same two characters are chosen a fourth time in a row (through "rematch" option for example) the randomizer opens up to every character's song, in order to avoid fatigue.

SF4 actually does have an option where you will always hear character themes in versus mode, though it's more limited than your proposal. In local play it's locked to player 2's character, and online it'll always be the theme of the character you're fighting against.

We did not just follow the poll rankings as law, there's a lot of elements that come into play when creating a roster and gameplay styles, and it's not necessarily our job to give fans exactly what they want — it's our job to be innovative and give fans what they don't even know they want yet," he said.

I like this and also believe the same. Fans, quite frankly, don't always know what on earth they want. And without innovation, we'll just go back to the dark ages of the early 2000s.

Vice

Translation: We will release Street Fighter V and have 1 month of post-launch support in the form of over priced costumes and you will only require one disc to experience this glory. We will also be releasing Ultimate Street Fighter V in holiday 2016 but that is a completely different game that requires ANOTHER disc and will have its own post-launch support!
Capcom has not done that with a Street Fighter title since 2010 though. MvC3 got one update and all SFxTekken got was some DLC down the road.

Walpurgis

Banned
Once again you neglect Super SF4, which this game will follow in its footsteps in terms of release and updates.

Super Street Fighter IV
Initial release date: April 27, 2010

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
Initial release date: February 15, 2011

Street Fighter X Tekken
Initial release date: March 6, 2012

2/3 of those were scams (the more recent ones). Also, Capcom is like a cornered animal now. I would be very cautious with Street Fighter V.

Vice

Super Street Fighter IV

Street Fighter X Tekken

2/3 of those were scams (the more recent ones). Also, Capcom is like a cornered animal now. I would be very cautious with Street Fighter V.
The additional content released in both of those games updates were rather significant and only UMvC3 required a new copy to play. And Capcom's DLC support for its other games has been anywhere from OK to great since then.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm still not trusting Capcom here. Their history with updating fighters is shady at best. There's always one more version or one more piece of DLC with their Fighters.

Good for them if they do it, but SF4, SFxT, MVC3 all make me extremely wary of their "plans" for updating the game without an additional version coming out later down the line.

Note: I know SFxT is slightly different, but locking so many characters on the disc for months was complete shit.

Tizoc

Super Street Fighter IV

Street Fighter X Tekken

You realize you don't have to buy games day 1 and can always buy them for 50% off or cheaper if you wait :V
You can go on ahead and do that SF5 if it'll make you feel awesome, but Capcom will apply the SSF4 route here:
Digital (likely paid) updates for owners of vanilla SF5
Discounted Retail release for those that didn't get Vanilla SF5

The community will still get SF5, and it will have as big a following as SF4.

Kane1345

One disc, thank the lord! Can't wait for this game. Watching the various tournaments from E3 really had me hyped for it. Can't wait for the beta

Tizoc

I'm still not trusting Capcom here. Their history with updating fighters is shady at best. There's always one more version or one more piece of DLC with their Fighters.

Good for them if they do it, but SF4, SFxT, MVC3 all make me extremely wary of their "plans" for updating the game without an additional version coming out later down the line.

SF4 was not designed to have further dlc support.
Furthermore, SSF4 was launched for $40 and had 10 extra characters.
Each update only cost $15, and the updates were released thus
OG SSF4 released in 2010
AE update was released in July 2012 for $15
Ultra update was released in 2014 for $15

Seriously is $15 too much money for one to have kept in their digital wallet :p

Heck I sold off SSF4 since I liked SFxT more, but grabbed Ultra after seeing how I liked some of the stuff in it.

Note: I know SFxT is slightly different, but locking so many characters on the disc for months was complete shit.

You could blame this on the Vita since SFxT got a Vita release :p

Furthermore, you're talking about games that released well over 2 years ago; games can be bought for a fraction of their original release price nowadays.

There is zero reason for me to be cautious about Street Fighter 5. I'll spend 60 dollars, and get over 300hrs of gameplay, likely more. I'll manage. Even if they are planning a scam, that's the best scam ever.

Tizoc

If they don't use the poll rankings then what is the point in creating polls in the first place? Something I never understood.

Data collecting I guess.
I don't recall if there was an MvC poll, but after seeing how fans liked Strider to be in MvC3 he was added in UMvC3.

SNK had similar polls too.

I really really really wish Capcom would add digital currency that can be attained through gameplay or real money for cosmetic items. Call it FM(Myyyy fight moneeeeey!) and give it whenever you level or first win of the day or whatever. Reason being they will make a lot more money this way than just selling a big ass skin pack every few months.

CS:GO started getting weekly updates once the game became a cash cow after the arms update. Competitive games need steady income. FPS game are figuring it out, Mobas have figure it out now fighting games need to figure it out so we can have some great community funded prize pools and Capcom can have a bright future with Street Fighter.

Just make it similar to how Smite uses gems for skin unlocks and as long as the game keeps bringing them money they can fund more characters and even more skins.

Walpurgis

Banned
You realize you don't have to buy games day 1 and can always buy them for 50% off or cheaper if you wait :V
You can go on ahead and do that SF5 if it'll make you feel awesome, but Capcom will apply the SSF4 route here:
Digital (likely paid) updates for owners of vanilla SF5
Discounted Retail release for those that didn't get Vanilla SF5

The community will still get SF5, and it will have as big a following as SF4.

SF4's updates are reasonable to me (except for moving to SSF4), if they do that I will be happy. But my heart has been shattered by MvC3 so I will maintain caution. I hope others do the same. Capcom needs to feel the burn of a thousand suns for that. In the mean time, I think I have waited long enough on Street Fighter IV. I'll just get that and play it until this sorts itself out.

Thores

Data collecting I guess.
I don't recall if there was an MvC poll, but after seeing how fans liked Strider to be in MvC3 he was added in UMvC3.

SNK had similar polls too.

There was an MvC poll on Capcom Unity, yeah. Right after 3 came out, but before Ultimate was announced.

Instead of a overall series popularity poll it was a "who do you want in 3 that isn't already" one. Strider placed really well on the Capcom side, as did Phoenix Wright. Though seeing how quickly the entire UMvC3 roster got leaked after that, it's unlikely that the actual poll had much impact.

Case in point, Mega Man X and Classic were 1st and 3rd on the Capcom side of the poll, respectively. Also I don't think a single character in Marvel's Top 5 showed up in Ultimate.

"This is the only disc you're ever going to need to own to get all of the content in the game, but we'll be revealing details of how our post-launch content happens at a later date, but it will be good news," he concluded.

I think some people misunderstand what this implies.
The important point here is that there wont be multiple independant versions of the game.

From start to finish there will only be SF5, meaning the guy who only bought day1 disc and nothing afterwards, will be able to play with the guy with the most "extended" version (no matter how, disc, dlc, seasons or whatnot, it doesnt matter, that is beside the point).
Just like some said, the goal here is to avoid any kind of community split and prevent the player loss that usually happens with each new iteration of a game.
From their perspective, business wise, it means that any player who bought the game at one point stays a potential customer for any future DLC characters/game upgrades etc.

Basically, one game, crossplay PS4/PC, one version (implying free balance updates, game system updates, bug fixes etc), with optional purchasable extensions (characters, costumes, stages? etc)
Equates better business plan for Capcom and better comfort of playing for us.

Prototype

not having specific character stages is kind of a bummer. hopefully they make them more memorable this time around. there weren't any iconic stages in sf4 that stood out to me.
My feelings exactly.

Was really hoping for character specific stages or some old stages returning and getting the 3d makeover.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
What planet do you people live on where substantial $15 expansion packs every 2 years or so is too rich for your blood?

SF4 has been handled well on that front since 2010 to the present day. I expect SF5 to be no different.

16 characters at launch seems improbable to me, expecting 12 tops
Arcade SF4 launched with at least 16. I think Akuma was a secret, selectable 17th character.

Console SF4 launched with 27.

Ont

Killer Instinct model is excellent. I hate investing time on a fighting game which know will be replaced in two years by another game from the same developer.

KiteGr

Capcom...
How long do u think I can wait?...
Every time they release a new fighting game i have to wait a year for the complete edition!

J 0 E

it's not necessarily our job to give fans exactly what they want — it's our job to be innovative and give fans what they don't even know they want yet," he said.

Reminds me of Henry Ford's quote "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.”

I love this thinking.

Ont

Also they really need to bring back 3rd Strike style soundtrack. One of the many dissappoiting things about SF4 was the soundtrack. I am just listening to 3rd Strike OST while working in the office.

Top Bottom