• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime Thread Zero: grown men playing with dolls/who but WB Masochism

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think many of the character interactions would make way more sense if the characters would be little shota like in the novel.

Not sure why KyoAni thought turning boys into abs monster is a good idea.

Free - Episode 1

So I'm glad to know that this show has comedy, and it has some good animation too. The characters do a lot of odd movements a lot while talking but I don't mind I guess. For a 1st episode it did intrigue me on knowing how fast the red-head (I always forget names) is.

Did they really have to have dubstep music at the end? Come on, put me some rock on or something.

Free! 1

Hype delivered! Praise be to Based-KyoAni! Let's break it down.

I liked the OP. It's got swimming, it's got style, and it pumps you up. The childhood swim club makes for a great setup with the friendship dynamic, with Haruka being the leader. But it's also interesting that, despite what his aloofness may tell you, even he really admired Rin. That line his grandmother told him really stood out to me, what with this generation being brought up on positive reinforcement and being told anything is achievable. Haruka is trying to grow up, but I think he's trying to live by an adult mentality without really understanding what it means to be mature. You can definitely see his old self coming showing through the cracks, like when he says he isn't interested in competitive swimming, yet he accepts Rin's challenge without hesitation. Or when his eyes light up with enthusiasm when he learns that Rin's school has a pool. These things are what make him charming. But I feel like I'm talking too much about him when he's not even the best bro. Nagisa pulling Makoto into the water was great, and Makoto makes it obvious that he is the best bro, what with his good-guy attitude and his weakness for spooky things. He's just got this charisma made all the more real when he matches Haruka's wavelength and knows what he's thinking. That image of when he stood up after falling in the pool? Oh. My. Stars. And Rin's appearance was really awesome. Him emerging from the shadows with that music playing gave him this presence and I got chills. I loved it when he and Haruka were spittin' hot fire. I can't wait for them to go toe-to-toe! And dat ED. Dat ED! Can it be next week yet?

cajunator

Banned
Free! ED.

Another music video ED from KyoAni.

Ehhh...its alright. Not digging that song at all. The whole desert thing is...completely unrelated and strange.

Kurumi >>>>>>> Who Cares About the Rest of Them >>>>>>>>> Origami

Well, technically thats a great ranking lol.

Hm, guess I should watch Hidamari Sketch sometime.

YES YOU SHOULD

I don't understand what Japanese females like about that body structure.

The proportions aren't too bad in Free! though; the way the muscles of the upper bodies are drawn bothers me more.

THey look like muscles drawn by a group of animators not used to drawing muscles or fit guys of any sort. i.e. KYOANI.

I feel like I kind of understand Revolutionary Girl Utena now.

I guess that means its a good thing I'm cutting myself off from animu for a full four days so I can have a nice, long, sit down and think about what I've done with my life moment.

You can check out any time you like BUT YOU CAN NEVER LEAVE

Anyone know a good dental surgeon? Pretty certain my jaw just detached itself from the rest of my skull.

Yeah. I said DAMN. Kurumi you are so perfect.

hooray for more Senjou. Except...her hair ;_;

I'm really looking forward to tomorrow. TOTAL ANIME OVERLOAD. C3-bu, Love Lab, Rozen Maiden, Symphogear G, and the second coming of Working!: Servant X Service. Then there's Saturday-Sunday! I can't take this season GAF! I can't!

You can do it buddy!

Jarmel

Banned
Them doing one big box is actually good news for me. I was considering buying all three separate boxes at one point and was looking at $800 so this is much cheaper for me. Hopefully it's put into a nice box and they touch up the upscale a bit. They do that and I'll be day 1.

Ehhh...its alright. Not digging that song at all. The whole desert thing is...completely unrelated and strange.
!

It is a work of art and it completely makes sense. It's the opposite of wet. It's dry, and that's what the world is like to Haru when he's not in water. Hell he strips at the mere thought of it. He's like a Gray to me.

Free! 1

Well we got our established girly named muscle men for the new frontier of anime, dem water animations, and background women (I'm staying for this).

There are some bright colors all about to go along with the rather basic personalities for each character. Nagisa apparently loves skinny dipping. He's the weirdo of the group.

I'm guessing there's one new dude coming to replace Rin since he's the dick rival archetype now.

I guess I'll see where this goes. Two manly as fuck anime on the list.

wonzo

Banned
- Coppelion, the manga about a special team investigating a distress signal from a post-nuclear meltdown Tokyo whose anime adaptation was put on hold after Fukushima, will finally be coming out as a TV show this fall. The first episode will be screened at Japan Expo and Anime Expo. Haruka Tomatsu, Kana Hanazawa, and Satomi Akesaka will be playing the main trio.
:eek:

- A fall 2013 Kyousogiga TV series was briefly listed on producer Hiromi Seki's profile before being taken off. Could it be?
:eek:ooooooooo

Oh, yeah... I forgot about that one. How is the video quality? Anyone knows?
There's a free PV of the first episode and it looks terrible.

wonzo, you aren't contractually obliged to suffer this much, you know? :-(
Hmn? The Haganai manga's good stuff!

Taruranto

DTL am cry?

Do not worry, the first episode completely destroyed any hope of heterosexuality!

nGS5ZDC.jpg

Much as I would like to sit back and enjoy you owning yourself there, I feel obliged to mention that you were right the first time. The rating on the Amazon box image for that Blu-Ray is incorrect (I guess the image must have been made before the rating was finalised). The actual BBFC rating for Madoka is 15 (as correctly noted lower down on the page, and visible in the user images of the box). I know this because I was a little confused by it myself when I bought this set!

Either way, though, it's not like BBFC ratings are absolute. I don't think there's anything wrong with a 14-year-old watching something rated 15 in most instances.
Strictly speaking, any shop selling Madoka to anyone under the age of 15 would be committing a crime (it's illagal to supply any 12, 15, 18 or R18 film to anyone younger than the age rating. You also need a special licence to sell R18 stuff).

Whether anyone will bother to procicute will be another question entirely.

cajunator

Banned
What's with all the Kamina shades in here? Feels like 2007!

Because its never the wrong time for Kamina shades.

image.php

Cowboy Bebop what is this 1998?
please don't kill me
I FIGURED IT OUT

Show this to your lady friends. When they go crazy for it, they no longer can be upset for the K-Ons and DoReMis you watch

It would make a lot of sense! Diversionary tactics!

Kino's Journey 8

I really enjoyed this episode.
It was a change in perspective by centering the narrative around Nimya rather than Kino, and the bird in flight was able in inspire yet another person. The country exemplified isolationism and the homogenization of culture, treating Nimya's desired craft and contributions with disdain. What's interesting is that they treat foreign things like that, yet they celebrate travelers like Kino when they enter the country. They seem to be only interested in sharing their own culture rather than learn Kino's, which furthers this notion. But in all of this, Nimya continues to pursue her dream. And that's what made this episode so special, because it touched on the resilience of the human spirit. It also addressed themes like companionship and understanding. Nimya's fiance, her future life-partner, makes no attempt to understand her or even support her, whereas a total stranger like Kino ends up inspiring and assisting her. Nimya makes it clear that Kino and Hermes were integral to the success of her flight. I guess it's clear that, with the right mentality, anyone is capable of helping another human being and making something incredible, almost resembling "magic."

Now you know why this is one of my favorite episodes. The overall feel of this one was really special and inspirational. It unexpectedly mixed the concept of religion in there as well and made it seem even more true to life. Really resonated with me on a lot of levels.

It's not the Full Metal Panic news you probably want, but it's the news you're gonna get:

Full Metal Panic! Season 1 / FUMOFFU / The Second Raid BD-Box [EngDub]
Currently listed for October 25 for the low, low retail price of 49,350 yen.

Thats actually a damned good deal all things considered.

Tenumi

Banned
Its rather fun, basking in the reactions to Free while not watching it myself. Gonna be a fun season.

Watching through reaction osmosis.

Theonik

Here in continental Europe there are so many Soviet T-34 variants thrown around that they are the sure option for such kind of modifications for props.
Yes, for continental Europe replace with T-34s. Kind of depends on where the effects house is based and then what they are going for, you can only get so much out of aq certain chassis. I know that WETA built some Panzer IV replicas from scratch for example.

I think many of the character interactions would make way more sense if the characters would be little shota like in the novel.

Not sure why KyoAni thought turning boys into abs monster is a good idea.
Because upper body. Have they mentioned upper body? UPPER BODY

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

jgminto

Free! 1

IT WAS GOOD! I was going to watch this anyway, for the upper body, but it's good to see it's not deathly boring like Tamako Market. The characters have a really fun dynamic. Nagisa is definitely No.1 husbando. Skinny dipping in the first ep, oh yes. The female characters seemed good as well which is refreshing. I really liked the teacher. Also really good OP/ED. The song in the OP didn't really make me think of swimming but it did get me pumped up. And the ED was just glorious.

Will watch

Also props to DTL for a stellar OT title. 10/10

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I just realized nobody's picked up Love Lab yet. Doesn't it start tomorrow? =/

EDIT: I guess if it were going to be streamed, maybe they'd go with the TBS airing, which airs a day later? Certainly hope so.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ahah. Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking of Chihayafuru comparisons. I almost described Rin as "the Arata" before thinking better of it.
There's no love triangle at least. :p

Brothers Conflict
OfiftFHl.jpg

Hnnnng

geieOQbl.jpg

:DTL with twins

Man, since UtaPri was so restrained, I'm glad that this show seems to be as stupid as Amnesia. If the trend is one fabulously fujibait shoujo show a season, I'm okay with that. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom