• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sumo working on "one of the most successful driving franchises of all time" (Sim?)

nampad

I was pretty happy dreaming about a new Outrun or Sega Rally but you guys putting a GT Vita on my mind just made me want that game instead.

But wasn't it rumored that Yamauchi doesn't want other developers working on his franchise?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm betting on OutRun. Sumo seem to have a thing for OutRun and worked on the franchise previously, so what I'd place my bets on. And what I now am hoping is what this is.

It just all depends on how they're defining "one of the most successful". Gran Turismo, Need for Speed, and Mario Kart are far and away the most successful racing franchises ever. Nothing else is really close to those three. The description obviously doesn't sound anything like Mario Kart, so that's obviously out of the running. That would leave GT and NFS.

NFS seems like a real possibility since EA Ghost may be too small to handle the project on their own. GT is a long shot because of how much control Kaz has over it. With that said, it's interesting that they use the words "driving franchises" instead of "racing franchises". GT's tagline has always been "The Real Driving Simulator". They're pretty much the only racing studio put an emphasis on their game being a driving simulator.

Coxy

I really hope it isnt a sim racer, Sumo are one of the last great arcade racer devs left

fingers crossed for Sega Rally, Outrun or even Ridge Racer

DiscoJer

I agree.

Honestly Gran Turismo Vita was the first thing i thought of, but i don't know if it's really possible.

Sumo ported the Toca series to the PSP pretty much fully intact, That had like 20 cars on the track, damage, and driver AI, unlike GT

There is only one driving franchise.
ZvGLXqC.jpg

Kumubou

After their work with the Outrun and Sonic racing games, I would be up for whatever they have in the pipe next.

People shouldn't be joking about a new PGR, because if that actually happened I would end up running through a wall (that and it would be really weird for MS to have both a new Forza Horizon game and a new PGR -- way too much overlap).

It's not a Sega arcade racing game. They want someone with a penchant for "car handling and setup," so it's going to be a more realistic style game.

If I had to make a guess, perhaps Microsoft is getting them to revive PGR? Most other "successful" racing franchises are pretty much accounted for currently.

Some kind of new spin on Ridge Racer might be cool also. I'm a RR purist (Unbounded sucked), but I trust Sumo. Their GTI Club remake was great.

...sumo digital?... Hasn't Sony been contracting them out for everything under the sun? I'm guessing they are doing contract work for a GT Vita? OH GOD YES PLEASE.

Skyzard

Banned
Come on guys, OutRun? What is this 1990?

Gran Turismo Vita!

Gran Turismo Underground, Vita Exclusive. Yes, it has nitrous.

OmegaDL50

Come on guys, OutRun? What is this 1990?

I take it you never played OutRun 2k6, or OutRun Online Arcade. Way to miss out.

It's Riiiidge Racer.

Hmm, Sumo Digital outsourcing for Namco, hmm well as much as I like Bugbear for their work on Flatout, they are busy developing Next Car Game, besides a Sumo Digital developed Ridge Racer would by far be MUCH more faithful to the series over the nonsense Ridge Racer Unbounded, Bugbear should be ashamed for that. Yes, Let's turn Ridge Racer into a cheap Burnout 3 clone that doesn't even remotely resemble anything like the rest of the series. The hell was that.

I mean considering Sumo Digital can make a faithful OutRun installment (OutRun 2006, OutRun Online Arcade, etc), I don't see why not they can't also do a proper Ridge Racer.

And it should be noted per the topic title, Ridge Racer is fairly up there in terms of success.

Sumo Digital developed OutRun 3 or RidgeRacer 8. I'll take either one!

Komo

Banned
Considering you can still find and play a Daytona USA arcade pretty easily in 2014, I'd have to say the Daytona USA series, but I'd totally be cool with Outrun.

Miguel81

It needs to be Outrun. Ahh, I got Outrun 2 day one for the Xbox and had a blast, and it even included the original.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Given they've worked on F1 in the past which is one of the biggest racing series and makes sense with the text I probably didn't think this through enough before posting.

Are some people drunk or are some of these suggestions facetious?

"one of the most successful driving franchises of all time"
That's not F-Zero, that's not Outrun, Sega Rally (or any sega racing game).

And given the job description they are fans of REAL cars.

Two of the most successful franchises?
Forza at number 2 and GT at number 1.

It COULD be Forza Horizon 2, as the hint at Top Gear points toward Forza. MS did some crazy deal that somehow made PD give up all of their Top Gear traces... so it could be Forza, or maybe it's just saying they are fans of real cars? Sony has contracted Sumo Digital for several games before, so it could be either GT7 (or GT6 DLC content) or maybe it's GT Vita, as they have done other Vita ports before like LBP.

Are some people drunk or are some of these suggestions facetious?

"one of the most successful driving franchises of all time"
That's not F-Zero, that's not Outrun, Sega Rally (or any sega racing game).

And given the job description they are fans of REAL cars.

Two of the most successful franchises?
Forza at number 2 and GT at number 1.

It COULD be Forza Horizon 2, as the hint at Top Gear points toward Forza. MS did some crazy deal that somehow made PD give up all of their Top Gear traces... so it could be Forza, or maybe it's just saying they are fans of real cars? Sony has contracted Sumo Digital for several games before, so it could be either GT7 (or GT6 DLC content) or maybe it's GT Vita, as they have done other Vita ports before like LBP.

I doubt it's horizon 2 since there is evidence that playground games is making that.

Out of left field guess......Forza goes the COD route 3 year cylcle 3 developers. Motorsport, Horizon and
PGR
LOL

Wonko_C

Didn't say gaming franchises.

Top Gear the game?

Top gear:the video game!
Best game....in the world! :)

Would laugh at Top Gear: The Game
They never said it was a gaming franchise :p

Uhm, guys?
:p
BrvE8BR.png

I would love to see the return of Gremlin's Top Gear. Isn't Sumo Digital the latest incarnation of Infogrames Studios Sheffield, formerly Gremlin Interactive? I wonder if there are people from the Lotus Turbo Challenge days still working there.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't Sumo Digital the latest incarnation of Infogrames Studios Sheffield, formerly Gremlin Interactive? I wonder if there are people from the Lotus Turbo Challenge days still working there.
Indeed. Straight from the words of S0L:

Sumo Digital has been around for a little while now, but tell us how it was formed?

Sumo was born out of the ashes of Gremlin Interactive/Infogrames Sheffield House. When Infogrames closed the studio, the management team decided to go it alone, recruiting back many of the ex-Gremlin staff. We’d got a couple of games in development based on things we were working before the Sheffield House studio was closed, and figured we’d make a go of it from there. I think back then the plan was to keep the firm small and we’d hopefully turn a profit.

Top Bottom