• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sumo working on "one of the most successful driving franchises of all time" (Sim?)

My guess is the return of Project Gotham Racing since ex-Bizarre staff joined Sumo some time ago and Sumo also worked on Xbox Fitness (so they are already actively working with MSFT on first-party projects)

OmegaDL50

They said driving, not racing. I hope to god it's OutRun.

Yeah, now that I think it about it, Outrun wasn't mostly about racing.

It was more or less a joyride sort of game in which you tried to drive as far as you could within a time limit with checkpoints, it wasn't until OutRun 2 console that the Racing side missions where included, which was still secondary to the traditional joyride time trial thing the series is known for.

normanski

Neo Member
If they DARE make OutRun into some serious 'Driving Sim' with cars other than Ferraris I will not be pleased. At all.

I can see it being Sega Rally or PGR though; Sega lost the Ferrari license a while ago and there's been no rumours or talk about them getting it back any time soon.

Kysel

I heard of something they were developing from people in the know. Cant really put much info up here, but I would say that it isn't what people expect.

Kysel

The thing they were working on didnt look like any existing racing game.

But graphical wise, it looked a hell of a lot like Borderlands.

They had no name yet, maybe a Borderlands Karting Game?

hahaha

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time

hahaha
What is this from?

Didn't a Sumo dev tweet something about thinking about settling disputes shortly after Nintendo and Sega announced the three Sonic game partnership? Not saying they're related, I just remember it happening around that time. Probably already mentioned though...

Fake edit: Found it!

sonicmariokart1.png

OmegaDL50

hahaha

I would like to hear where this from as well.

My guess is the return of Project Gotham Racing since ex-Bizarre staff joined Sumo some time ago and Sumo also worked on Xbox Fitness (so they are already actively working with MSFT on first-party projects)

I'm pretty sure MS aren't bringing back PGR. They've got Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon (which they consider separate franchises) and I seriously doubt they'll want to bring a third 'realistic' driving series into the mix.

nasanu

Banned
I am betting on a simcade Outrun reboot. You don't need to hire people for vehicle dynamics to build a kart racer. And if it were an F1 game then surely they would be using existing code as they have always just done ports. Sega rally did cross my mind though.. Still Outrun I think.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Sounds to me like .... another Mario Kart? but with Sonic and Kong and.... everyone?

or.... gasp.... Fzero ?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Didn't a Sumo dev tweet something about thinking about settling disputes shortly after Nintendo and Sega announced the three Sonic game partnership? Not saying they're related, I just remember it happening around that time. Probably already mentioned though...

Fake edit: Found it!

sonicmariokart1.png

Thats what i was thinking aswell, its weird to see people shouting outrun such and completely ignore the title of the thread, though idk if they're serious or not.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sumo ported the Toca series to the PSP pretty much fully intact, That had like 20 cars on the track, damage, and driver AI, unlike GT

Sorry i should have been clearer, with "i don't know if it's possible" i intended that i don't know if Sony would let them handle GT, i have no doubt that a good developer could make a full fledged GT game on Vita :)

No way that they talk about an arcade racer. Sounds more like an driving sim ala Gran Turismo. Maybe they working together qith Codemasters on a new Dirt or something like that.

Kysel

LIke I said, I am not happy to talk publicly.

NDA's were involved by the company is was interning at.

There is a possibility that this is a completely different game... However, I am still certain that the game I knew of was a racing game of sorts. I saw a WIP screenshot.

I'd say it's Sega Rally. Nothing else tallies up with "most successful driving franchise". They're traditionally a developer/porter of arcade games. (And they're damn good at them.) Codebastards have Formula 1 - Sumo have only handled ports to PSP and the like. Plus, I wouldn't say "Formula 1 games" are a "successful driving franchise". It's just a licence.

Sega Rally.

Top Bottom