• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

Metro Gamecentral gave it 7/10

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/27/sunset-overdrive-review-constant-grinding-4922931/

In Short: Shallow, simplistic, and never quite as funny as it thinks it is, but there’s still more energy and imagination at work here than most other new next gen franchises.

Pros: Some fantastic weapon designs that are a welcome relief from the shooter norm. The grinding and wall-running is great fun too, and a lot of jokes do hit their target.

Cons: The combat, in fact everything in the game, is extremely shallow and very easy. Too little variety, especially in terms of enemy types and the simplistic mission design.

Score: 7/10

Scooby

OQZATLb.gif

mollipen

Seriously folks - I LOVED this game. Yes, you'll feel like it could do more, in terms of creativity of the quests or craziness of its story. But it's just so, so much fun, and once you really get the hang of the traversal, oh my lord is it satisfying. Jet Set Radio levels of satisfaction.

NICE. Those first 6s must have killed jstevensons from a heart attack and then the bombardment of highscores respawned him back!

/sunsetoverdriverespawnjoke

Sophia

Seriously folks - I LOVED this game. Yes, you'll feel like it could do more, in terms of creativity of the quests or craziness of its story. But it's just so, so much fun, and once you really get the hang of the traversal, oh my lord is it satisfying. Jet Set Radio levels of satisfaction.

You understand the massive implications you are making here? :p

Game looks so hyped. Glad to see it's getting great reviews.

Bgamer90

Banned
Not long. X button is your "snap to rail/wall-run" button. Once you get that down and some of the other traversal moves unlock (air dash, for example), it's gravy.

Nice. Very nice. This game reminded me of the Dreamcast era as soon as the trailer was revealed. So pumped.

as i pointed out in the other thread, there is a conflict of interest on the Gamertime.co.uk: 9.4 review.

oh man that review score is pretty damn good.

and then i noticed the giant ad in the background of the site lol.

XeZvG6q.jpg

not only on the review either, its on their front page as well (pretty much the background on all its pages atm)

AgGOztk.jpg

i'm interested in playing the game regardless of how many 9s or 6s though.

as i pointed out in the other thread, there is a conflict of interest on the Gamertime.co.uk: 9.4 review.

i'm interested in playing the game regardless of how many 9s or 6s though.
I asked you in that thread, but do you have any proof that the ad department and the editorial department comingle or one exerts influence on the other? Taking an ad does not mean they influence the review.

any R and C easter eggs?

I only played on R&C, so i'm not sure.

There is a NeoGAF call-out though.

How long a playtime are we looking at

Also, how's the side content? InFamous really disappointed me with the lack of side content and Mordor didn't pick up the slack very well.

I finished the story campaign at 15 hours, but I putzed around for a bit. Side stuff: extra missions, weapon and traversal challenges, multiplayer, and you can replay every missions again for leaderboard stuff and more XP/money.

Did the sort of over the top humor bother you at all/did it ever get annoying or tiresome.

I had issues in the beginning, but I grew to love it. Think of your character as a restrained version of Deadpool.

Is the performance solid?

Yep, ran fine for the most part.

Blobbers

Seems like Insomniac is kicking this holiday season into overdrive.

My metacritic prediction is between 85-88. I don't know how metacritic actually works as some sites are considered lower tier than others so maybe it ends up even higher.

Top Bottom