• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Direct - Oct 23(US) & Oct 24 (JP/EU)

Neiteio

Alright, here we go!

I'm expecting a fancy Bowser Jr trailer that also shows off the 8-player mode by having the Koopa Kids bicker and duke it out for the spotlight.
Oh man, Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings would be a PERFECT way to show off the eight-player mode. :-D

(Assuming there really is an eight-player mode and it wasn't canned for whatever reason)

Javier

I'm hoping one of the 50 things is Custom Soundtracks.

"On the Wii U version, the game will allow you to use audio files saved on your Hard Drive to set them as music choices for every stage."

Popnbake

I don't understand why some think that a Nintendo Direct about Smash, which is coming in late November, could affect the sales of Bayonetta 2 which is launching the same date as the Nintendo direct.

I mean, one is a game's launch, the other is multiple announcements about a game launching a month after. Bayonetta 2 pretty much had it's media focus during the reviews process and it's still getting incredible good reviews today. I guess it's not the best idea to have both events the same day, but to the point it could affect one's sales? Not sure about that...

Feel free to point me how it could affect Bayo 2 sales though, I'm not a marketing expert, after all. :p

EDIT: Though the idea of one event helping the other, like the 'Get a Smash U demo if you register Bayo 2' is freaking brilliant!

I don't understand either.

I really dont see how a 30-40 min ND is gonna effect the sales of a game in a negative way.

If your gonna get Bayo 2 your gonna get it, if your not your not

A Direct that appeals to Nintendo/Smash fans isn't going to take away from B2.

People who are interested in B2 are going to buy it regardless.

That said, bring on the Smash Direct hype.

wiibomb

but what about if this direct is all a plot from NoA?

Special character reveal for Smash Wii U, buy bayo and you get the bayo haracter in smash!!!

Believe.

bumpkin

I didn't think about this before I posted earlier, but this thread seems to be moving swiftly. Hype train keep so rollin'!

My hope...

Third party character Amiibos (Mega Man, Pac-Man, etc.)

Jezan

This time i won't board the Hype Train, I will be playing Bayonetta 2. Unless they announce Bayonetta/Wonder-Red as a playable character, then I will wonder-construct a train on my own and be there.

in before: no new characters because parity with shitty version.

Hatchtag

Banned
Personally guessing that 8-player mode will have the following stages to go along with it:
-Palutena's Temple
-Temple
-Great Cave Offensive
-Wuhu Island
-New Pork City
-Pokefloats 2
-Mario stage
-Donkey Kong stage
The first 3 already seem like perfect fits for the mode. Wuhu Island being a big stage would make sense, as there needs to be a good reason to have it be material for two stages instead of just staying part of Pilot Wings. New Pork City returning would make sense, since it'd be a good stage for it and would give Earthbound multiple stages. I don't see Pokemon and Mario not getting stages for such a big new mode, and Pokefloats 2 seems like a great way to do it (and would also account for Pokefloats having its theme in the April Direct). Finally, the Donkey Kong stage being affiliated with the mode would explain why it's been absent for so long.

I kinda expect every stage to be usable in 8-players (and in 4-players), but I feel like 8-players would need a good amount of stages to be specifically designed to work with it, and the above ones would be really good choices for it.

AdanVC

50 things... 50 things! This is the Smash Direct we've been waiting for. Good week for Wii U already with this stream and Bayo 2 on friday. Oh lalá. Mi cuerpo está listo.

Bayonetawon'tbeinthegameBayonetawon'tbeinthegameBayonetawon'tbeinthegameBayonetawon'tbeinthegameBayonetawon'tbeinthegame

KHlover

Banned
Bayonetawon'tbeinthegameBayonetawon'tbeinthegameBayonetawon'tbeinthegameBayonetawon'tbeinthegameBayonetawon'tbeinthegame

zndpgbu74j1t.png

Maybe? :p

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm going to toss a lot of rumors and leaks into this list and completely make the list hype. Don't blame me if you got too hyped.

1. Sakurai's update
  2. Trailers
  3. Boss Battle
  4. Tourney Mode
  5. Official Tourney (Online)
  6. Event Match
  7. Create An Event Mode
  8. Special Smash
  9. Coin Battle
  10. Break the Target Mode
  11. 8 Player Smash
  12. Yellow Team
  13. 8 Player Smash display
  14. Huge stages display
  15. Special Orders (Master and Crazy Orders)
  16. Smash World
  17. Board Game descriptions and display
  18. Stage Builder
  19. Great Offensive Cave
  20. Miiverse stage
  21. Wii Resort stage
  22. Wrecking Crew stage
  23. Smashville
  24. Temple
  25. More Returning stages
  26. Metal Face
  27. Ridley
  28. Porky
  29. Petey
  30. SSE Bosses' Returns
  31. Isaac (AT)
  32. Ray MK 3 (AT)
  33. Wii U only items
  34. Exclusive Pokeball Pokemon for Wii U version (Like Manphy)
  35. Wii U/3DS connectivity
  36. Customized characters able to be transferred between two versions
  37. 3DS being controller for Wii U
  38. Amiibo
  39. A feature that allow you to invite your friend to be your teammate for 2 vs 2 online mode
  40. Community feature that would keep track of your community members' wins/losses ratio and top 20 players
  41. Miiverse feature - Stamp
  42. Showing the full potential of Smash U
  43. Trophies teasers
  44. Trophies having detailed information with game location and date.
  45. DLC Characters
  46. DLC Stages
  47. Dixie
  48. Ridley
  49. Chorus Kids
  50. Mewtwo

Darn it. I forget to add, "choose a build" to the list.

Neiteio

Heath, some of the things in that list aren't features. Things like "trailers" don't count as a "feature" exclusive to the WiiU, haha.

Heath, some of the things in that list aren't features. Things like "trailers" don't count as a "feature" exclusive to the WiiU, haha.

the announcement didnt say all 50 things would be features im honestly expecting most of the 50 new things exclusive to the wii u will be stages and trophies and then the couple new modes exclusive to the wii u version no new characters or dlc talk till a couple months after the game comes out.

Neiteio

the announcement didnt say all 50 things would be features im honestly expecting most of the 50 new things exclusive to the wii u will be stages and trophies and then the couple new modes exclusive to the wii u version no new characters or dlc talk till a couple months after the game comes out.
It's billed as "50 new things in Smash Bros. for WiiU," according to the PR in the OP. Features include stages, trophies, etc. Features are anything content-related. A trailer or "update from Sakurai" is not a feature. :)

I'm going to toss a lot of rumors and leaks into this list and completely make the list hype. Don't blame me if you got too hyped.

1. Sakurai's update
  2. Trailers
  3. Boss Battle
  4. Tourney Mode
  5. Official Tourney (Online)
  6. Event Match
  7. Create An Event Mode
  8. Special Smash
  9. Coin Battle
  10. Break the Target Mode
  11. 8 Player Smash
  12. Yellow Team
  13. 8 Player Smash display
  14. Huge stages display
  15. Special Orders (Master and Crazy Orders)
  16. Smash World
  17. Board Game descriptions and display
  18. Stage Builder
  19. Great Offensive Cave
  20. Miiverse stage
  21. Wii Resort stage
  22. Wrecking Crew stage
  23. Smashville
  24. Temple
  25. More Returning stages
  26. Metal Face
  27. Ridley
  28. Porky
  29. Petey
  30. SSE Bosses' Returns
  31. Isaac (AT)
  32. Ray MK 3 (AT)
  33. Wii U only items
  34. Exclusive Pokeball Pokemon for Wii U version (Like Manphy)
  35. Wii U/3DS connectivity
  36. Customized characters able to be transferred between two versions
  37. 3DS being controller for Wii U
  38. Amiibo
  39. A feature that allow you to invite your friend to be your teammate for 2 vs 2 online mode
  40. Community feature that would keep track of your community members' wins/losses ratio and top 20 players
  41. Miiverse feature - Stamp
  42. Showing the full potential of Smash U
  43. Trophies teasers
  44. Trophies having detailed information with game location and date.
  45. DLC Characters
  46. DLC Stages
  47. Dixie
  48. Ridley
  49. Chorus Kids
  50. Mewtwo
Ridley was so big that you had to list him twice?

Lunar15

Calling it now, at least 25 of the 50 things will be trophies.

Remember kids, prepare yourself for the worst possible outcome, that way you can be pleasantly surprised rather than outraged.

So, really, just prepare for a slideshow of 50 HD screenshots of characters laying down on the floor. (50 because they took several of a reggie mii fighter)

if even one of these things is not "must see", i will boycott nintendo forever

you've been warned, sakurai

obviously there will be some filler, but given how little we know about the wii u version, i'm certainly expecting some pretty cool new stuff. i'm pumped

Calling it now, at least 25 of the 50 things will be trophies.

Remember kids, prepare yourself for the worst possible outcome, that way you can be pleasantly surprised rather than outraged.

So, really, just prepare for a slideshow of 50 HD screenshots of characters laying down on the floor. (50 because they took several of a reggie mii fighter)

tumblr_n2p8ioebVB1sz36jto1_500.png

woopWOOP

I kinda expect every stage to be usable in 8-players (and in 4-players), but I feel like 8-players would need a good amount of stages to be specifically designed to work with it, and the above ones would be really good choices for it.
I hope so. Not sure where eight players could spawn on stages like Battlefield. 8-player mode (if real, etc) being stuck with super large stages only would put a bit of a damper on my hype, since my group of regular players is but 5 people.

In that case though having eight or so different large stages would be enough variation to be satisfying.

Neiteio

I'll rattle some ideas off, in no particular order:

- Miiverse stamps
- Coin Match
- Smash World
- Event Smash
--> Master Orders
--> Crazy Orders
- Special Smash
- Event Mode
- Stage Builder
- Game Board
- Photo Studio
- Eight-Player
- Tournament Mode
- Stage Bosses
- Boss Mode
- Boss Rush
- My Music
- Custom Soundtracks
- Great Cave Offensive
- Content Sharing
- Amiibo
- More exclusive Stages
- Exclusive Assist Trophies
- Exclusive Pokeball Pokémon
- Exclusive Trophies
- New games in Stadium
- Return of Chronicle
- Off-TV Play

... Man, this is tough. Couldn't even crack 30!

Spiderduff

What would a miiverse stage look like anyway

Off the top of my head? In real time the miiverse post scroll in the background as you jump from platform to platform. Every now and then a picture will pull up that takes up the screen and you must fight *behind* it. If you kick or punch enough likes on post you get a special *Miiverse Power-up* where all the likes you were able to acrue come raining down on the other players offering you KO's.

Kouriozan

Just thought about something, Master Hand and Crazy Hand are not called like that here. (Créa-Main and Dé-Mainiaque)
So I guess the Master and Crazy orders will be called "*localized name* challenges" or something.
Anyway, can't wait to hear more about it.

Sadist

25 of those things are going to be trophies. And troll trophies to boot.

Like the Smash Bros. Direct from earlier this year: "Oh my, Palutena trophy!"

*Camera pans out, reveals it to be Pseudo Palutena*

Sakurai: *laughs*

On a more serious note, I hope the netcode for Smash is stable. The 3DS version... lags quite a bit.

Top Bottom