• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayolan

From what I see, there are no monsters from series that have no playable representatives other than Rhythm Heaven and Ice Climbers. I'm more surprised that Fire Emblem and Xenoblade don't have any enemies in Smash Run.

Wait seriously, no low level mechon in Smash Run? Sakurai should've really prioritized getting 1 smash run enemy from each franchise with a playable character before going crazy with the Mario/Pokemon/Kid Icarus enemies.

DooD1234

So any use with Link dair? I trying it in the demo with lvl 9 CPU and I'm always falling to my death and the spike seem to only apply at the initial hit and the overall knock back seem a lot weaker than I remember in past games.

Also, walking with link while blocking projectiles with link shield is funny.

Fiktion

Banned
What the general consensus on Shulk? I rather liked the look of his various forms requiring a bit of strategy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlUmvn_Aod0

I think people need more time to figure out how best to tap his potential.

Yeah, I'm confused because I've also been hearing great things about the online from others. I've never really had had a problem with my internet, so I'm not sure what's up.

Are you in Japan? Could the other players be too far away?

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Any other Xenoblade Trophies?
Does any of the other MM Robot Masters get a Trophy, or just Elec Man?

What's the general consensus on Shulk? I rather liked the look of his various forms requiring a bit of strategy.

His normals tend to come out slower, but have that two hit effect on his Smashes with the beam coming from the Monado after the first hit. I've seen some people experimenting with him, but he definitely requires a bit more thought than some of the other rushdown centric characters.

I'm ready to crack him open for myself. I think the Monado stances and mastery of that move will be critical to playing him effectively. Not going to lie, his Neutral B makes me think he'll be ridiculously strong.

I guess you could I'm really feelin' it.

Masked Man

I said wow
Has there been any custom moves where you're all like

Cause so far, I haven't seen any. They all look like minor tweaks on the existing move that doesn't really change how the character plays in any meaningful way.

I adore Mac's third Up Special and DHD's second(?) Neutral (the jigsaw can shot). I've also been using Palutena's Fire Bomb (or whatever) instead of her standard Neutral. I haven't done a lot of testing yet, but some of them make for really interesting alternatives!

My thoughts on the matter are that Ice Climbers and Chorus Kids were cut extremely late in development (like early 2014 late) and replaced with Dark Pit and Lucina.

For what it's worth, though, Sakurai has gone on record saying Chrom was disregarded early on as "just another swordsman" (an actual quote!), whereas Lucina was planned for inclusion from the very beginning (albeit as an alternate costume). His justification for giving her a proper spot on the roster revolved around the functional differences between her and Marth. There's no reason to believe she "stole" anyone's spot.

On the other hand, I agree with you that the two (Ice Climbers and Chorus Kids) were probably cut late in development because they realized the standard 3DS just didn't have enough processing power to allow them to exist. (Note that characters with potentially troublesome moves and Final Smashes had them removed. Transformation mechanics are gone, as are Final Smashes and moves that summon multiple characters at a time.) I would love to see IC and CK available in Smash as DLC; I just hope they don't require us to purchase a New Nintendo 3DS system. :/

Blizzard

Banned
I live in Tokyo, but never really bothered to look at the names. I see your point though, maybe the other players imported the game or something.
Hmm, that's strange then. :( I don't know if there's anything you can do to improve it if your internet and router is already good. Sorry to hear it.

Fighting Lv. 9s are pretty much like this.

9f1v3Ut.gif

Maybe it just takes some practice. I'm glad the AI is very difficult though. It's no fun to get first every match!

They're pretty damn smart for level 9's. And the Wii-U version has Level 10 CPUs. We'll be dead within seconds.

Zubz

Banned
On the other hand, I agree with you that the two (Ice Climbers and Chorus Kids) were probably cut late in development because they realized the standard 3DS just didn't have enough processing power to allow them to exist. (Note that characters with potentially troublesome moves and Final Smashes had them removed. Transformation mechanics are gone, as are Final Smashes and moves that summon multiple characters at a time.) I would love to see IC and CK available in Smash as DLC; I just hope they don't require us to purchase a New Nintendo 3DS system. :/

Yeah. The more I hear about this, the more I want people to let the Smash team know we don't care about 100% roster parity; so long as the Wii U version has the Ice Climbers and Chorus Men,we'll be happy, Because I know at least I don't want to wait months/years for DLC, especially if it's New 3DS exclusive.

So since I've got into the nitty gritty with this game so far, here's a bunch of things that I've noticed through my play time with the full version:

First of all... NO INTRO ;__;

Smash Mode:
-No Special Smash modes. I didn't really partake in these anyway, but still weird that it's not included.
-No Tourney mode. I can see why this is not in the 3DS version though.
-Fan and Fire Cracker launcher are gone. Don't get why this is so.
-Items can only be set to 3 options on appearance and that includes turning them off
-Assist Trophies and Pokeballs can only be out one at a time. No trophy/ball craziness
-Match rewards are back

Games and More (Single Player stuff/Co-op):
-Classic mode is 5 stages then Boss. No end match rewards that I've seen visually.
-You face the multi man Mii team a lot but can also end up fighting a character team (i.e. Team Mario, etc.)
-Red path is still easy imo regardless of the rewards you get from it.
-Game Over + Continue can take rewards away and auto drops your difficulty
-No Event Match mode ;___;
-I can't remember how the chronological thing worked in All Star for Brawl, but this time you don't start off with 1v1 and then eventually face multiple at once. You start off 1v3 with people in a waiting que as if you were playing multi man. Now you fight characters in a release date bracket. The lobby before you enter the battle shows the last two people you will face in each bracket. So you're facing like 5+ characters per round. You do get more health items though.
-In Home Run Contest, you can't hit the sandbag out of the left side and have it rebound like in Melee
-In Target Blast, you have to hit the bomb BEFORE it reaches 0. You get two chances to take out all the targets. What you didn't take out in round one will be left for round 2, so it's possible to clear the board.
-Replays only work for Stadium modes. Like wtf o_O
-Using gold to buy trophies is a scam unless you absolutely NEED that trophy lol
-You can alternatively play Figure Rush and get 50x the value.
-Figure Rush is super fun. You can buy 2:30 min for only 900G and acquire like 20 trophies and more in that time if you're good and fast plus get a little bit of your coins back. Compare 900G for 20 trophies including getting rares versus paying 1000G for one trophy you can get in the minigame. You can also grind for custom moves in this mode.

Smash Run:
-This shit is fun yo!

In general:
-The game saves the characters on the last color you chose for them. So you never have to switch to your favorite alternate color for you mains basically. Even when you close the game, they still save. A plus imo.
-The alternative music for getting everyone from Melee/Brawl is still the same alternate menu track and method.

A lot of this probably has already been discussed but just my experience.
So far I love this game and it's amazing.

Yeah. The more I hear about this, the more I want people to let the Smash team know we don't care about 100% roster parity; so long as the Wii U version has the Ice Climbers and Chorus Men,we'll be happy, Because I know at least I don't want to wait months/years for DLC, especially if it's New 3DS exclusive.

Yeah, I honestly wouldn't mind different rosters as long as no one gets cut going to the Wii U version. Just having Smash on the go is enough for me.

Thank you.

Definitely liking the look of it all, but you're right in that more time is needed to really explore his styles.

I'm pretty sure Shulk is gonna wreck shop once people get a handle on controlling his Monado Arts. Wish he was in the demo so I could be figuring him out.

SoulUnison

Banned
I SD like 5 times a match as Mega Man. With no one else just him. Wish he had a little bit longer range on the flame sword.

Megaman's Buster Pellets keep screwing me over. I have to remember to just *not* try to use Side Tilts or Neutral Airs.

I keep forgetting how his Down Air works and completely whiffing it, too.

His Up Air is a great kill move, though, when i can connect with it.

Not as bad as Villager, though. I *cannot* get a hold on how he's supposed to be played.

Forkball

Peach's classic complete picture is such a tease to Daisy fans.

Also Figure Rush is the key to getting trophies, don't bother buying any in the store unless it's one you really want right now.

Teknoman

Well thats messed up that the fan is gone. Thats been an item since...well...forever. I like the new wind club from Kid Icarus Uprising though. And the fire ball bar from SMB1. but beating people with that fan was just fun. Not a big deal but I wonder why the home run bat is aluminum now?

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Megaman's Buster Pellets keep screwing me over. I have to remember to just *not* try to use Side Tilts or Neutral Airs.

I keep forgetting how his Down Air works and completely whiffing it, too.

His Up Air is a great kill move, though, when i can connect with it.

Not as bad as Villager, though. I *cannot* get a hold on how he's supposed to be played.

His pea shooter is quite good actually, it seems to stop everybody in their tracks so it's a very safe poke attack. It helps keep enemies from getting too close where Mega Man is weak.

johnbone

Sakurai needed space for more Kid Icarus: Uprising crap.

I really think people are overstating this Kid Icarus bias thing.

Thing is, the only KI representation in brawl was Pit himself-no items, no enemies, and one stage. Series like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid etc. on the other hand have always had pretty significant representation in smash. Therefore, in order to "legitimize" KI as a new "bigish" Nintendo franchise, Sakurai made up for 15 years worth of content by adding a bunch of new Uprising items, whereas long-established series kept their legacy items but didn't get much new. While in a perfect world every franchise would get plenty of new toys, we live in a world with deadlines, and so I think this is a relatively fair way to help "newer" (not really, but you know what I mean) franchises "catch up."

Was there this much complaining when Mother got 2 whole stages or Zelda got 4 NEW CHARACTERS in melee?

I really think people are overstating this Kid Icarus bias thing.

Thing is, the only KI representation in brawl was Pit himself-no items, no enemies, and one stage. Series like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid etc. on the other hand have always had pretty significant representation in smash. Therefore, in order to "legitimize" KI as a new "bigish" Nintendo franchise, Sakurai made up for 15 years worth of content by adding a bunch of new Uprising items, whereas long-established series kept their legacy items but didn't get much new. While in a perfect world every franchise would get plenty of new toys, we live in a world with deadlines, and so I think this is a relatively fair way to help "newer" (not really, but you know what I mean) franchises "catch up."

Was there this much complaining when Mother got 2 whole stages or Zelda got 4 NEW CHARACTERS in melee?

I think you're getting trolled here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom