• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

georly

I think that just simply changing the edge stuff and increasing the blast zones makes all characters relatively close to each other, balance-wise. It gives everyone an equal chance to recover, which is what held some characters back previously.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
4 is so much more fun to watch than Brawl it's absurd.

Definitely. I can only hope it stays this way, and people don't find something extremely broken to ruin character balance.
The custom movesets add a lot more depth to characters that are kind of lacking in their meta.

Mory Dunz

Yeah, confirmed you can save replays after for glory matches.

6n8VM7s.jpg

Did it myself.

Once again, still no way to export these videos :/

Really hoping youtube support will be added into wii u version, or at least miiverse posting of them.

Wait, Fierce Diety is full alt?
Am I the last person to find out...

Revven

I know it's only day three and whatnot but I really find this game entertaining to watch. Way moreso than Brawl.

People are going more aggro because it's early, Brawl was sort of the same way although with the greater staggered release between the Japanese and US versions I think by the time the game came stateside it was already slow and defensive iirc. So, atm, Smash 4 is looking okay now but things could still change. Then again, I think I recall aggro stuff in Brawl just not working out even with how early it was, so seeing aggro stuff work in Smash 4 in general is a good sign. Whether the defensive options in this game will override the offensive options as players become more acquainted with the mechanics as a whole remains to be seen.

I'm amazed how badly people are playing against a Ness who's basically the same as Brawl. Hyped for Ness getting second in the last tournament and first in this one.

Yeah, ya'll really need to temper your expectations. Any character can win anything right now because no one really has a good grip on Smash 4 yet with the characters they're using (especially the newcomers). Although, I did like the constant counterpicking with characters, like picking Little Mac to pressure Zelda who can't really seem to deal with how quick Mac is on the ground. That gives me some hope that maybe this game will become more of a character-based game where you'll have to learn at least 2 characters or more to do well to cover your MUs.

Violet_0

Banned
really fun tournament, interesting that no one used Greninja, Rosalina or Bowser Jr.
still haven't seen the first two in a tournament yet

A little off-topic, but in regards to the demo, what combos do you guys find fun or satisfying? Although he's not my favourite in the demo, chaining Mario's d-throw into his b-up is a fun way of getting ~17%

Also, the air game in this game is so delicious. I don't feel, like I did in Brawl, that going after an off-stage chase is too risky of an endeavor, anymore

solomon

Oh without a doubt is it gonna be at EVO next year!

The question is....Melee....

This was probably Nintendo's train of thought for having melee at evo
[EVO2k13] Nintendo learns about evo>[EVO2k14], they used melee to advertise smash 4>[Evo2k15] Smash 4 at evo is good advertisement.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo is not gunna let Melee be the main Smash game at evo but it will be a third stream side event.

Cody_D165

Banned
People are going more aggro because it's early, Brawl was sort of the same way although with the greater staggered release between the Japanese and US versions I think by the time the game came stateside it was already slow and defensive iirc. So, atm, Smash 4 is looking okay now but things could still change.

Don't get me wrong. I definitely understand I might not feel the same way a few years from now. I just truly enjoy how fresh the game looks and feels compared to other iterations in the series. And as the new edge game develops I can't wait to see what kinds of stuff people will find and pull off.

PKrockin

People are going more aggro because it's early, Brawl was sort of the same way although with the greater staggered release between the Japanese and US versions I think by the time the game came stateside it was already slow and defensive iirc. So, atm, Smash 4 is looking okay now but things could still change. Then again, I think I recall aggro stuff in Brawl just not working out even with how early it was, so seeing aggro stuff work in Smash 4 in general is a good sign. Whether the defensive options in this game will override the offensive options as players become more acquainted with the mechanics as a whole remains to be seen.
Brawl may have been more aggressive at the beginning because they were coming off 64 and Melee. This game is coming off Brawl so people are used to and would know how to find good defensive, campy strategies as well.

Revven

So did early brawl have any great matches early in it's life?

Not that I can recall, there weren't any livestreams back then so it's harder to remember things very well -- you had to scour youtube for the matches. Not to mention, not everyone had a capture card in 2008 (that was during the time when they weren't very cheap).

Any matches that I did watch back then I distinctly remember them being slow but people were trying to play aggro. In most cases the aggro didn't work out, though. Especially against characters like DDD, Falco, and Snake (the three characters that were found to be really good early on, followed by Meta Knight).

This was probably Nintendo's train of thought for have melee at evo
[EVO2k13] Nintendo learns about evo>[EVO2k14], they used melee to advertise smash 4>[Evo2k15] Smash 4 at evo is good advertisement.
I'm pretty sure Nintendo is not gunna let Melee be the main Smash game at evo but it will be a third stream side event.
My exact train of thought

Regiruler

A little off-topic, but in regards to the demo, what combos do you guys find fun or satisfying? Although he's not my favourite in the demo, chaining Mario's d-throw into his b-up is a fun way of getting ~17%

Also, the air game in this game is so delicious. I don't feel, like I did in Brawl, that going after an off-stage chase is too risky of an endeavor, anymore
Anything leading into megaman's uair. Such a satisfying move.

BY2K

Membero Americo

Melee is gonna be to Smash what II Turbo was to Street Fighter, basically.

Zubz

Banned

So glad the original's OST's getting some love in 4; we got Kongo Jungle playing on Melee's Jungle Jape (As a Brawl classic stage, no less!), and remixes of the Credits & Post-Match songs. Here's hoping we see Final Destination/Battlefield/Metal Crystal remixes in the Wii U version! And maybe some classic stages down the line; Metal Crystal coming back'd be amazing; still disappointed it's not a stage option in that game, but then again, neither were Battlefield or Final Destination.

Cody_D165

Banned

Mario's D-Throw -> Uptilts -> Aerials -> UpB

not guaranteed every time but super satisfying to pull off

random25

Oh without a doubt is it gonna be at EVO next year!

The question is....Melee....

I really hope Smash 4 will be seen very viable by competitive Melee players. Too early to say, but I would be happy to see Smash 4 being a successor to Melee at EVO rather than another game.

Timeaisis

I'm abstaining from watching the streams because I want to go on fresh.

That demo, though. I can't put it down. This is bad new for my life come Oct 3rd.

Also, megaman uair can blast people off the top of the stage. Awesome.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
These streams were incredibly fun to watch, even characters I normally don't like such as Mario and Zelda were super fun to watch. Duck Hunt Dog's mechanics look super dangerous. Little Mac looks like an absolute beast if the conditions are right. And people even talking positively about Ganondorf gives me great hope. And I'm really enjoying my time with the demo practicing with Mega Man.

I SO CAN'T WAIT for the game to come out now.

J@hranimo

Banned

I really hope Smash 4 will be seen very viable by competitive Melee players. Too early to say, but I would be happy to see Smash 4 being a successor to Melee at EVO rather than another game.

I wouldn't mind Melee still co-existing with Smash 4 at EVO. It would be pretty appropriate given Melee really put out all the exposure we have now. I just reeeally hope like random25 said that Smash 4 is seen as "the next step" in competitive Smash. I love watching Melee, but at the same time it is time to move forward. Even if custom movesets don't make it to competitive metagame.

#Smash4ForEVO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom