• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I thought I could beat level 9's, but it turns out after trying again on the final destination version of battlefield I was just relying on items. Goddamn this is so hard. It already takes an insane amount of coordination and focus for me to beat a level 9 Mario with no items
Still haven't managed to do it yet,
and people are telling me that that's the point where you're just ready to learn? Man, fighting games require almost EVE-levels of dedication to get into.

Moonlight

Banned
Might be banned on 3DS (unless the venue provides for 'pre-unlocked' games) since unlocking all the customs takes an unreasonably long amount of time and it'd be a bit silly to expect all the players to have them unlocked, and allowed on WiiU depending on how easy it is to transfer custom moves from 3DS to set-ups.

Kinsei

Banned
So I thought I could beat level 9's, but it turns out after trying again on the final destination version of battlefield I was just relying on items. Goddamn this is so hard. It already takes an insane amount of coordination and focus for me to beat a level 9 Mario, and people are telling me that that's the point where you're just ready to learn? Man, fighting games require almost EVE-levels of dedication to get into.

Practice makes perfect. When I first started the demo I could barely beat level 9 Mario, and when I did it was due to a lucky hit in sudden death. Now I can go 3-0 against him on the FD version of Battlefield.

Just keep trying and I'm sure you'll start kicking his ass in no time.

PK Gaming

Might be banned on 3DS (unless the venue provides for 'pre-unlocked' games) since unlocking all the customs takes an unreasonably long amount of time and it'd be a bit silly to expect all the players to have them unlocked, and allowed on WiiU depending on how easy it is to transfer custom moves from 3DS to set-ups.

Yeah I think so too, which is unfortunate

Some of those custom moves are hella cool

Practice makes perfect. When I first started the demo I could barely beat level 9 Mario, and when I did it was due to a lucky hit in sudden death. Now I can go 3-0 against him on the FD version of Battlefield.

Just keep trying and I'm sure you'll start kicking his ass in no time.

I've been playing the demo for like 12 hours, my record against him is probably 0-40 lol.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I used to be good at smash... so I started against level 3's, then level 6s, then 8s, then 9s... I guess I'm still good at smash. I haven't lost once vs. any of these guys. I play randoms at level 9, using Link, Mario, Pikachu, Megaman, and Villager. I'm not getting more than 2 KOs in that 2 minute span, but I'm not dying either. Woohoo. Villager is definitely my weakest, followed by Pikachu. I smoke any AI with Mario, Link, or Megaman.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So I thought I could beat level 9's, but it turns out after trying again on the final destination version of battlefield I was just relying on items. Goddamn this is so hard. It already takes an insane amount of coordination and focus for me to beat a level 9 Mario with no items
Still haven't managed to do it yet,
and people are telling me that that's the point where you're just ready to learn? Man, fighting games require almost EVE-levels of dedication to get into.

People who are telling you that aren't giving you good advice. Playing a level 9 CPU is nothing like playing an actual human. Level 9 CPUs can read your inputs directly, which means they react in a different way to the way a human would even if that human had frame-perfect reflexes. Playing level 9 CPUs too often will encourage habits which are only good against level 9 CPUs, and thus, bad against actual players - you'll avoid certain moves or combinations which are only bad because of the way level 9 CPUs work and can be very effective against human opponents.

If you want to get competitively good, set the CPU to level 8 instead, play until you can reliably beat the CPU for a wide array of characters - not all, but at least one representative from the various archetypes of rusher, zoner, etc. - then switch to For Glory and never look back. The only use to playing level 9 CPUs is to hone your reflexes, rather than to actually learn the game on an intrinsic level.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
People who are telling you that aren't giving you good advice. Playing a level 9 CPU is nothing like playing an actual human. Level 9 CPUs can read your inputs directly, which means they react in a different way to the way a human would even if that human had frame-perfect reflexes. Playing level 9 CPUs too often will encourage habits which are only good against level 9 CPUs, and thus, bad against actual players - you'll avoid certain moves or combinations which are only bad because of the way level 9 CPUs work and can be very effective against human opponents.

If you want to get competitively good, set the CPU to level 8 instead, play until you can reliably beat the CPU for a wide array of characters - not all, but at least one representative from the various archetypes of rusher, zoner, etc. - then switch to For Glory and never look back. The only use to playing level 9 CPUs is to hone your reflexes, rather than to actually learn the game on an intrinsic level.
I think he may be a demo player. I am. Thus the only reason I would even play vs. level 9s and not real human beings.

So I wonder how custom moves will be handled in tournaments.

Banned?

Allowed?

If the latter, wouldn't that make streams go slower as players update their characters?

banned on the 3DS cause ain't nobody got time for that

allowed on Wii U cause not everybody needs to unlock them

Tenck

So I disconnected because I had a quick errand, and Nintendo banned me for a few hours. Guess they're not kidding about people who leave lol.

Kinda glad. Really want them to crack down on people who disconnect a lot.

df9.png

I can't stop laughing.

Kinsei

Banned
So I disconnected because I had a quick errand, and Nintendo banned me for a few hours. Guess they're not kidding about people who leave lol.

Kinda glad. Really want them to crack down on people who disconnect a lot.

That sucks that it happened to you (at least it was only for a few hours), but I'm super happy to see that they're taking the online seriously.

Moonlight

Banned
Yeah I think so too, which is unfortunate

Some of those custom moves are hella cool
Definitely one of the most interesting aspects of the game for me. Even seeing stuff like Mario zoning out ROB with those fast fireballs in the last tournament looked really cool. There's a lot of potential in the concept and especially in terms of differentiating its' metagame from every other Smash game, so it'll be a huge shame if TOs decide it's too much of a hassle or something.

equipping Lucina with Iai Counter and switching to the Tiki alt is the only way I'll ever be able to pretend Lyn is playable

Tenck

That sucks that it happened to you (at least it was only for a few hours), but I'm super happy to see that they're taking the online seriously.

Yeah I'm happy they're taking it seriously. I've got like 2 more minutes left, so it's not entirely bad day for me today :p

Permanently A

Ok, though I know some places have done videos, I've been, for my site, screencapping all alternate colours/costumes. And here they are. I realise that some aren't so great, but I tried getting as stationary as possible without going into VS mode over 400 times. Yikes.

http://minus.com/m1kua0IxixtXJ
http://minus.com/mbtCv8SeJLJQZv

Please credit if you use them on a website. Going to be formatting them and adding them to my site shortly

jbsLmEzTAH0lZ.png

Nice, they finally added Ridley

How does it actually work when it comes to what custom moves can be accessed, is it only based on the host's data? I was under the assumption that it'd make more sense to expect people to bring their own system actually, since you would at least try and unlock moves for the characters you use, if not all of them.

emb

It's fine as long as you don't think your habits and such are going to be good. Level 9s are pretty good about airdodging and teching when they can, so if nothing else it's probably decent for practicing combo stuff.

Really, as long as you understand that CPUs are nothing like humans, playing the game in general is good for learning. Just getting used to your character and the game mechanics is the important first step.
Green underwings say otherwise
Fitting into the universe says otherwise.

Moonlight

Banned
How does it actually work when it comes to what custom moves can be accessed, is it only based on the host's data? I was under the assumption that it'd make more sense to expect people to bring their own system actually, since you would at least try and unlock moves for the characters you use, if not all of them.
Accessibility to customs is entirely up to your system, and the main reason that customs would be kept out is that even if you focused on unlocking the customs for the characters that you main, whoever unlocked more or whatever inherently has more of an advantage in terms of responding to a match-up. It's just not an even playing field when nobody has the same starting point, and you'd get a lot of people complaining about how unfair it was. Even then, expecting people to put in whatever amount of time it would take in Smash Run to unlock all the specials for all their favourite characters is kind of unreasonable as far as an entry barrier goes, least of all all of them.

RomanceDawn

So were shield able to be directed in past Smash games? It would explain why I would always get hit as DK or Bowser when I had it during certain times and attacks.

I don't know if it's an advanced technique from past games because I certainly never did it in Brawl and I loved playing at a high level but if you run and Smash in the opposite direction your character will slide a hair do their smash attack backwards. Same goes for tilts but the timing is trickier with smash attacks. I've caught the computer with it a few times and can see that becoming very useful in the future.

Accessibility to customs is entirely up to your system, and the main reason that customs would be kept out is that even if you focused on unlocking the customs for the characters that you main, whoever unlocked more or whatever inherently has more of an advantage in terms of responding to a match-up. It's just not an even playing field when nobody has the same starting point, and you'd get a lot of people complaining about how unfair it was. Even then, expecting people to put in whatever amount of time it would take in Smash Run to unlock all the specials for all their favourite characters is kind of unreasonable as far as an entry barrier goes, least of all all of them.

Well, you could make the same argument for unlocking characters, but it's obviously less extreme in that case.

That said, this process of unlocking custom moves will not even be an issue after about a month after the game is out. It's simply a matter of time for the hardcore players and tourney-goers.

So were shield able to be directed in past Smash games? It would explain why I would always get hit as DK or Bowser when I had it during certain times and attacks.

Yes, that's been around since Melee.

Well, you could make the same argument for unlocking characters, but it's obviously less extreme in that case.

That said, this process of unlocking custom moves will not even be an issue after about a month after the game is out. It's simply a matter of time for the hardcore players and tourney-goers.

Doesn't matter when the Wii U version will be the one used at tournaments, which means everyone no longer has to unlock them all on their own :p

Hatchtag

Banned
First off, have we seen this before?
v2nnA8O.jpg

Orange variation of the balloon fight stage.

Next up, let's go over DK's custom moves!
Donkey Kong's back, and his custom moves are...honestly, compared to Fox and Ganondorf, really underwhelming. He's got some unique options though. I couldn't see too many of these being moves you'd integrate into a normal moveset, but I could see someone perhaps making a custom moveset with one or two of the moves to swap to if they were having some issues defeating an opponent with the normal one.

-Standard B-
VoQI9hM.jpg

Custom 2: Donkey Kong charges up his punch faster (at the cost of some power) and has electric effects. Could be useful if you want more speed instead of power.
oixkeUI.jpg

Custom 3: Shown in a pic of the day. Releases wind that pushes an opponent back with a fully charged punch. Still does damage if the punch connects. Can be very useful for edgegaurding

-Side B-
okfeNqP.jpg

Custom 2: Jumps in the air and then does a headslam. Could be a good option against airborn opponents maybe?
5HQJeyS.jpg

Custom 3: The same move as usual, but slower and more powerful, and leaves the opponent in the ground longer. Has super armor, which is cool.

-Up B-
Viw4Tjp.jpg

Custom 2: Does no damage, but gains a lot of height from it, especially in comparison to the normal jump. Recovery's kinda easy in Smash 4, but if you're still having trouble with DK, use this.
q3P6ET1.jpg

Custom 3: Does damage on the first hit and more at the end, instead of a constant stream like normal. Seems to suck the opponent in between those two hits too. Might be useful.

-Down B-
e7GE6Hu.jpg

Custom 2: Electric effects. Has good knockback.
2blvW3B.jpg

Custom 3: Fire effects. Not much else remarkable about it.

Honestly, these are just really underwhelming. I kinda think maybe Sakurai thought DK was OP and didn't give him that great of a variety of custom moves? I donno. But these just aren't very overpowered like some of the other customs seem to be.

Video of the Custom 2s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umNBc5gMQpw&list=UU_2qLJkKXkaqk3e8JXcQNcw
Video of the Custom 3s: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFnGSwfrTfs&index=2&list=UU_2qLJkKXkaqk3e8JXcQNcw
Note that the videos are crappy offscreen recordings, are played against a CPU, and feature me mostly spamming the custom attacks to see what all they can do.

Well at this point it's looking like there's only three legal stages in the game (Battlefield, FD and Yoshi's), so there probably won't be any bans.

It's literally For Glory... oh and Battlefield and Yoshi's are playable too. Point is, you're getting a good deal of the competitive experience if you simply jump onto For Glory mode, and that's a good thing.

Tomadachi Life, Arena Ferox and Lumiose City seem like decent counter pick stages.

Molemitts

what's the name displayed at the bottom of the screen?

For me, it says "Mole mitts", which is weird because my Mii's name is, "Molemitts" and my Miiverse is also "Molemitts", neither of those have a space in them and I'm wondering why the name at the bottom does. I don't remember using "Mole mitts" for any username.

Moonlight

Banned

Unlocking all the characters is a matter of SDing off the stage in a 1-stock game a sufficient number of times. Smash Run or Classic demands actual player investment and engagement, and you're not even guaranteed the results you want because of how the rewards are randomized and you can even get dupes. You can ask anyone here trying to go for all the customization unlocks about the struggle. And I can't imagine many tourney players would prefer to waste time on Smash Run as opposed to actually improving their game. 3DS tourneys would have to have games/systems with everything unlocked already for people to use (or people to loan out their 3DSes to share or something, like set-ups) for them to be allowed in legit tournaments, I'd imagine.

But as long as you can easily transfer 3DS data to the WiiU, all it's really a question of is passing between a couple 3DSs between a couple WiiU set-ups when that version comes out. Assuming you can easily transfer, at least.

Doesn't matter when the Wii U version will be the one used at tournaments, which means everyone no longer has to unlock them all on their own :p

I think the 3DS version will have its own place at tournaments. It allows for Swiss rounds, which is pretty much unique to it. It can definitely be used for side tournaments, at the very least.

Veeboy

Duck_Hunt_comic
I wish Duck Hunt had a trailer that was just this.

Have we got any good impressions of Rosalina, yet? She and Robin are probably the two newcomers I'm most interested in.
Also, off topic, but... I was considering buying FE: Radiant Dawn to tide me over until smash Wii U, but it's a sequel. To any FE fans out there, do I need o play Path of Radianc first or can I just jump into Radiant Dawn?

Revven

You can also save the customizations to an amiibo so that could be useful.

Asking competitive players to spend another $13 for something that may eventually/possibly become illegal is a bit much. Especially if they need multiple Amiibos if they have certain characters for counterpicking.

It's just not something I think is a good "solution" to the problem.

emb

Asking competitive players to spend another $13 for something that may eventually become illegal is a bit much. Especially if they need multiple Amiibos if they have certain characters for counterpicking.

It's just not something I think is a good "solution" to the problem.
I'm not really interested in carrying around the extra figurine at a tournament all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom