• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glass Rebel

Vectoring sounds like a good idea with a bad execution. Knockback influence shouldn't affect comboing to such an extent as outlined earlier and it becomes doubly problematic in a game where KOing takes this much time. Hope they fix it.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I'm incredibly dumbfounded because this is what I believed to be what DI was. Now I know not to change anything.
Yup. We're one step ahead already. The prevoius games enforced this intuitive concept despite using a different system in DI. You hold left or right in the air to go left and right. Press down to fall down faster. So, at least in the sense of making the game more understanable, VI (that's what i'm calling it ;) is an improvement.

Thanks!

Calemchu is the best~

That's why he's the All Star Trophy
aF5SfhC.png

Vashzaron

I'm going to suggest people to be cautious with the hype because it don't meant we would get DLC characters and stages.

It's possible that it could be old arrow buttons for old CSS before they decided to shrink down the icon sizes, and it could meant for DLC characters and stages. Who know!

Yeah, but I just think it would go so well with that gap on the stage select screen.

IzxJ0dh.png

Timeaisis

The new DI is way more intuitive, imo

Agreed 100%. I've grown tired of explaining DI to newcomers every time and then asking me why it's like that. This makes complete sense and still gives you the choice of what direction you want to choose.

Vector towards the player who hit you to avoid going off stage (or away from the stage) or vector away to avoid getting comboed? That judgment call is much more interesting to me, especially when considering what character your are against and if they have a response to either.

These quick judgment call are a fighting game's bread and butter. With DI there was always a "correct direction", with vectoring it is not so.

JoeInky

Strong Bad said:
Many of the combo strings we've been seeing are not possible with correct use of vectoring by the opponents.

:/ I really hope I don't have to stick to PM for another 6 years.

Agreed 100%. I've grown tired of explaining DI to newcomers every time and then asking me why it's like that. This makes complete sense and still gives you the choice of what direction you want to choose.

Vector towards the player who hit you to avoid going off stage (or away from the stage) or vector away to avoid getting comboed? That judgment call is much more interesting to me, especially when considering what character your are against and if they have a response to either.

These quick judgment call are a fighting game's bread and butter. With DI there was always a "correct direction", with vectoring it is not so.

With vectoring there is always a correct direction though, at low percent, vector away, at high percent, vector inwards.

Been grabbed and UThrow and FThrow are the viable options? Just hold diagonally away and cover both options without having to make any sort of read.

It's intuitive, sure, but the applications of it are pretty scary for how the game may turn out.

Revven

I mean, the problem isn't that vectoring is more intuitive than DI. The problem is how effective it seems to be in the testing Strong Bad did. Now, it's totally possible it won't have as big of an impact as theorized and that would be great but it's not bad to be at least a little suspect on how it might negatively impact the game -- mostly, in regards to combos at mid-percents that are already tight enough to land with improper vectoring. Those combos may no longer be possible, or it's also possible that you could predict the direction they're vectoring and make a change of plans to get what you want.

The effect of this change won't be seen for a couple of months but it might just be, in the long run, the game will have to be 2 stocks. Again, it depends just how much vectoring will impact the entire cast once it's understood and learned more. If anything, vectoring could really make characters like Bowser even better because they don't rely on combos as much at mid-percents.

I just wouldn't be happy if the game degenerated to a slow game of pokes like Brawl did because of this change. :/

If his example given regarding Shiek dthrow combos not working anymore is more widespread, then this is definitely going to cause a negative effect on the game's flow. Combos aren't going to be as much of a thing as they are now, killing is going to be way harder, and matches are going to last longer.

trixx

Vectoring sounds like a good idea with a bad execution. Knockback influence shouldn't affect comboing to such an extent as outlined earlier and it becomes doubly problematic in a game where KOing takes this much time. Hope they fix it.
That's where I see the problem. Comboing seems pretty difficult as is, and this will make things even harder for some characters as well. A lot of creativity will be needed.

Not even just in terms of gameplay but also when people are spectating, game would be very dull to watch with less combos. A game of poking would be terrible.

georly

My main is so adorable <3

Oh god. I would buy DLC stages in a blink.

Imagine if all the DLC stages are tournament legal, so all tournaments needs to buy DLC stages :p

This is one of the few fighting games ever (especially ones played competitively in big tournaments) that stages actually matter.

Makai

I mean, the problem isn't that vectoring is more intuitive than DI. The problem is how effective it seems to be in the testing Strong Bad did. Now, it's totally possible it won't have as big of an impact as theorized and that would be great but it's not bad to be at least a little suspect on how it might negatively impact the game -- mostly, in regards to combos at mid-percents that are already tight enough to land with improper vectoring. Those combos may no longer be possible, or it's also possible that you could predict the direction they're vectoring and make a change of plans to get what you want.

The effect of this change won't be seen for a couple of months but it might just be, in the long run, the game will have to be 2 stocks. Again, it depends just how much vectoring will impact the entire cast once it's understood and learned more. If anything, vectoring could really make characters like Bowser even better because they don't rely on combos as much at mid-percents.

I just wouldn't be happy if the game degenerated to a slow game of pokes like Brawl did because of this change. :/
I just wanna know why Smash 4 needs 2 stocks if Brawl used 3.

Timeaisis

I don't know about you, but that sounds awesome to me. Not guaranteed combos but ones you have to predict where your opponent is going sounds great. Imagine that metagame!

Unbounded

Which is a good thing, but it's not good if it causes combos not to work at earlier percents than they so right not.

Would this REALLY do anything about combos at earlier percents?

I mean, he said it himself, the vectoring is more significant at higher than lower percents. Let's say for the sake of simplicity that vectoring is only going to have a value equal to 1/20th of your current knockback value.

A good chunk of combos we've seen so far, (tilts guys, tilts!), have very very little knockback. Were they to attempt vectoring breaking out of an early combo would still be extremely difficult since the knockback would be nearly negligible. Assuming that knockback is a discrete, noncontinuous variable then it may be the case that at low percents it's completely nonexistent. (For example, 1/20th of 5 is .25, which would simply be rounded to 0. It could also be the case that the change in knockback of .25 isn't enough to break out of said combo.)

A second thing, probably most important, is that this does not reduce hitstun. So if at higher percents someone vectors in order to prevent themselves from dying, they may potentially set themselves up for another hit.

It's definitely a gamechanger, but I don't quite think we should start rioting just quite yet.

Pappasman

I don't know about you, but that sounds awesome to me. Not guaranteed combos but ones you have to predict where your opponent is going sounds great. Imagine that metagame!
That isn't what's happening though. It's going from combos that almost don't work to no combos at all.

What might be the case is actually "no combos because you can go far enough so nothing can reach in time".

As if we didn't get enough of what you describe as is, too. :/

DaBoss

It seems like it effects combos indirectly. :(

I think the intent was to be able to punish bad vectoring by making it possible to add knockback, but it inadvertently made it easier to escape combos.

Seems like mix ups are going to be an absolute must in mid-percent.

But DI also made mix ups needed at times, but this is probably more effective since it involves distance.

Can you DI up?

Yeah, but in previous games that would just send you at a more upwards angle (with no effect if you DIed up if you got sent straight up) but if you "vector" up, you will go at an upward angle and also get more knockback upwards (you'll just get more knockback upward, killing you earlier, if you "vector" up a move that sends you straight up).

trixx

Would this REALLY do anything about combos at earlier percents?

I mean, he said it himself, the vectoring is more significant at higher than lower percents. Let's say for the sake of simplicity that vectoring is only going to have a value equal to 1/20th of your current knockback value.

A good chunk of combos we've seen so far, (tilts guys, tilts!), have very very little knockback. Were they to attempt vectoring breaking out of an early combo would still be extremely difficult since the knockback would be nearly negligible. Assuming that knockback is a discrete, noncontinuous variable then it may be the case that at low percents it's completely nonexistent. (For example, 1/20th of 5 is .25, which would simply be rounded to 0. It could also be the case that the change in knockback of .25 isn't enough to break out of said combo.)

A second thing, probably most important, is that this does not reduce hitstun. So if at higher percents someone vectors in order to prevent themselves from dying, they may potentially set themselves up for another hit.

It's definitely a gamechanger, but I don't quite think we should start rioting just quite yet.
Good points. By the way did the poster say vectoring/hitstun shuffle was apparent at around 40%? I don't know where I read that number from though a bit tired.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how big this could be.

JoeInky

Good points. By the way did the poster say vectoring was apparent at around 40%? I don't know where I read that number from though a bit tired.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how big this could be.

He said that sheik and rob combos that worked well into the 80s didn't work at 40.

He also said most of the combos we've been seeing won't work when this is used properly.

Enjoy everyone!
Character Alts 1
Character Alts 2
Character Alts 3
Character Artwork (All of them)
Extra player icons?
Items
Edit: Added the last character alt album and items

These renders, sooo goood!!!

These are stock icons and roster icons:
http://imgur.com/a/caFq2
http://imgur.com/a/TNQ6t
http://imgur.com/a/qBHE8
http://imgur.com/a/7kfDm
Edit: I added another one that I missed

In case anyone miss this earlier.
My friend keeps finding more. Will update as much as I can.
Series Icon
Edit: damn, beaten by Heath. :p

JediLink

That's something that DI already achieved, but in a way that was much more balanced between the attacker and defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom