• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Nothing beats the classic.

7NwLWCJ.png

Definitely what I was thinking cycling through the ones in the demo, but upon seeing lazy eyes . .

Is it oct. 3rd yet

;__;

Jawmuncher

Hey has this been pointed out? Potentially interesting, so heres texture rips. https://mega.co.nz/#!I8tAQTxA!nPwyw_7tWJi96dzzCeOlsK_fTYdTLgXzPLRe4tqWsf0

Extract and search for chr_10_page you'll find these.
EL2JT9L.png
8OvNlkf.png

Their file names are "chr_10_page_1.tex (AFE29875-55.bin)_0" and "chr_10_page_2.tex (AFE29875-56.bin)_0" They are grouped and the same size as character select icons.

Checked out stages and the same thing exists too.
oy0GXfG.png
NzSyEjq.png

stage_10_page_1.tex (0DFEFCCA-39.bin)_0 & stage_10_page_2.tex (0DFEFCCA-40.bin)_0

Looks like something that could be used for DLC, doesn't confirm anything for sure as they could be left overs from when the CSS or such was bigger but yeah think this would fit so well with that current gap in the stage select screen.

Sounds like such a good theory to me it's probably real.

Dr. Buni

Default Villager is so boring, tho
Game is fine for me. Only complaint is that it's not out before Oct 3rd in NA.
Only complaint here is no d-pad available for moving the character. I would have liked to have a second option for movement, just in case the circle pad breaks.

johnbone

It kind of seems like people are looking for an excuse to toss this game away and go back to melee.

People really want Smash 4 to be a competitive success, so there's a lot of paranoia when something unknown is discovered that has the potential to slow down the game.

That said, I think this whole thing is a bit of an overreaction by people used to melee mechanics.

Jon

Going on record that "vectoring" is going to be much ado about nothing. Once the game has been out for longer than FOUR DAYS, people will develop strategies for new mechanics. The top level players competing in tourneys are not going to be timing out because people are living to 300% as a result of this mechanic.

It kind of seems like people are looking for an excuse to toss this game away and go back to melee.

Exactly this. I've never seen a specific gaming community so insular and afraid of change than that of the Smash community. Not to over-generalize, but it seems if Smash leaders endorse a certain way, very little rebuttal is ever mustered from the general populous.

Wait, Ridley fans are still going on about it?
Nah, we're talking about how glad we are Wolf's gone now.

Going on record that "vectoring" is going to be much ado about nothing. Once the game has been out for longer than FOUR DAYS, people will develop strategies for new mechanics. The top level players competing in tourneys are not going to be timing out because people are living to 300% as a result of this mechanic.
If people live to 300% regularly in SSB4 it's not going to be solely because of vectoring. So far it's only made about a 30% to 40% difference for me.

Default Villager is so boring, tho

Only complaint here is no d-pad available for moving the character. I would have liked to have a second option for movement, just in case the circle pad breaks.
He has the coolest shirt though, except for maybe Purple villager. I wish we could have sleepy villager with purple shirt, it just makes too much sense.

Azure J

Vectoring hilariously enough sounds like crouch cancelling in the air. I'm taking the "wait and see" approach as well, but I won't lie, I'm on guard.

A yoyo...?

Someone tell me what this correlates to in the most soul crushing manner possible because there's only one person I think of whenever a Yo-Yo is brought up in the context of Nintendo games that dip into the vault.

Dr. Buni

He has the coolest shirt though, except for maybe Purple villager. I wish we could have sleepy villager with purple shirt, it just makes too much sense.
I like the shirt too, though the flower shirt/dress of Pinky Villager is hands down my favorite.
How would you do tilts with a dpad?
Huh... I can do tilts just fine playing Brawl with the 360 controller when playing on Dolphin.
I think

Tan

Good to know we can't leverage any criticisms or possibly vaguely negative opinions about the game without being berated.

Other people are going to have different opinions than you, don't be a dick about it.

Revven

No, it's just people want the game to be good but every time something new like this gets discovered and it could have a negative impact on the game (as in, make matches take longer and/or remove the combos we've discovered so far) it makes people upset/concerned.

It's not wrong to be concerned. You're conflating it to people wanting to go back to Melee when that's not the case. This mechanic completely changes what people were used to since Smash 64, it has nothing to do with Melee. And it could make the game worse, depending on how much vectoring influences the player's ability to escape combos or live against certain moves in the game.

Or, it could be beneficial. People tend to lean more on the negative because they don't want to get their hopes up only to get them dashed away months later. You can see Brawl as an example of extreme and blind optimism from the competitive community and subsequently what happens when that optimism/expectation isn't met -- a lot of people were disappointed and many don't want to be disappointed the same way again.

The game as it is right now is pretty good, otherwise. Until we know the full effects of this, I'm not going to lean one way or the other but you should at least understand why people would feel the way they do. It's the same feeling with regards to being worried about landing lag or the other mechanics that were roughly unchanged from Brawl in the E3 build -- it's not often stuff like that changed from an E3 build to release so people had a reason to be fearful/worried.

I admit some people are being hyperbolic but I think it's because of Strong Bad's hypothetical example vs actually reading the effects it had on Jigglypuff's suriviability vs G&W's Usmash (which was a measly 5% difference).

JoeInky

So what's so bad about this whole vectoring nonsense? It makes the game last a tiny bit longer?

Less combos due to characters being able to make themselves go too far away to followup in a game where the combos were already tight for the most part, I don't find the poke to death style gameplay of Brawl fun at all personally so it's a potentially game ruining discovery for me, if it turns out as bad as some expect.

Dr. Buni

Good to know we can't leverage any criticisms or possibly vaguely negative opinions about the game without being berated.

Other people are going to have different opinions than you, don't be a dick about it.
Some of you complain about everything, though. FD stage variations are bad, blast zones are bad, speed isn't enough, DI whatever, etc etc...

Delio

this vectoring stuff sounds interesting. Course it will be sad if this ends up ruining this Smash in a tournament scene. But in the end I guess that doesnt effect me lol.

Revven

Oh, didn't know 2 stock was the competitive standard. Has Sakurai said whether there will be any planned balance patches that could fix anything that's truly a problem?

Well, 2 stocks isn't a standard yet it's what the online For Glory mode uses and most of the competitive video footage we have is of 2 stock matches. Some TOs are leaning on 2 stocks but others want to try 3 stocks as well for in-person tournaments.

Sakurai has stated in the past he's not opposed to balance patches, I think, but I very much doubt the balance patches would ever be in direct response to what's happening in tournaments with Smash 4. He probably will only ever do patches for bug fixes or anything that is statistically shown as a problem via online For Glory matches.

JoeInky

Some of you complain about everything, though. FD stage variations are bad, blast zones are bad, speed isn't enough, DI whatever, etc etc...

Wait, you're not allowed to complain about bad things anymore?

If you're seeing people complain about "everything" it's because there are a lot of design decisions that disappoint them, you might not understand or care why, but it's wrong to dilute it to complaining for the sake of complaining.

braves01

Banned
Nope, but this new vectoring thing is not a problem, it seems very much intended.

I meant as a "perceived" problem. They've already tried pretty hard to placate the competitive Smash Bros. scene with the sponsored tournaments and gamecube controller adapter. I have to imagine that, given a bunch of negative feedback about an intended mechanic, Sakurai might bend and take it out.

MyBodyisReady

Neo Member
Nothing beats the classic.

7NwLWCJ.png

Have we cycled through every single Villager costume yet? I think they're all great!

But noone has shown off stripe girl yet or light green dead eyes. Anyone care to show those off as their favorites so we've got all 8 in one thread!? Lol

But seriously I like dead eye light green girl.

puJC0oh.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom