• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timeaisis

That's something that DI already achieved, but in a way that was much more balanced between the attacker and defender.

That made zero intuitive sense. And it only did that a little, because 90% of the time there was a "correct DI" in most situations. This is simpler, yet I think creates a more interesting choice for the attacker and defender. As I highlighted in my previous post, the question now becomes: towards or away from the attack?

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
UoR5i3P.png

This. This boy right here.

We're going to wreck people.

Has anyone actually tested the vectoring stuff with combos at low percentages? I only have the demo and no friends so I can't test it myself. I'm trying stuff with the computer, but it's difficult to see any kind of influence when holding a direction.

Moonlight

Banned
That made zero intuitive sense. And it only did that a little, because 90% of the time there was a "correct DI" in most situations. This is simpler, yet I think creates a more interesting choice for the attacker and defender. As I highlighted in my previous post, the question now becomes: towards or away from the attack?
the answer is always away because even if you're knocked off stage (and it's much likelier that you won't, you'll get just far enough away to deny a follow-up) you can recover incredibly easily

JoeInky

That made zero intuitive sense. And it only did that a little, because 90% of the time there was a "correct DI" in most situations. This is simpler, yet I think creates a more interesting choice for the attacker and defender. As I highlighted in my previous post, the question now becomes: towards oure away from the attack?

And the answer is always the same, "Away at lower percents, Towards at higher".

It extends the game more than it needs to, people already live to high percents in this game, now we know we're able to decrease knocback and we're able to negate a load of combos meaning we'll reach those percents even slower.

johnbone

I think people are going way overboard with the negativity.

As Strongbad said, we have no idea how much influence this "vectoring" will have on hitstun distance-if it's only like 5% or so, it shouldn't be a big deal, especially since
DI as we know it is apparently gone (thus making the hitstun angle more predictable for an attacker).

Pappasman

That made zero intuitive sense. And it only did that a little, because 90% of the time there was a "correct DI" in most situations. This is simpler, yet I think creates a more interesting choice for the attacker and defender. As I highlighted in my previous post, the question now becomes: towards oure away from the attack?

There is no choice. Hold up to get out of combos and hold in to survive strong attacks. Holding away from the attack would meaning pushing yourself into the blast zones (which is fine if you are trying to lose).

Shadic

Neo Member
Man, y'all are so negative. This is like Brawl all over again.
Yes, that's the issue.

The new DI system is simpler, yes, but it's definitely a bad change. If you're at low percent, you'll almost always just want to DI away to escape any potential followups (ruining the combo game that was already barely there), and if you're getting hit at higher percents, you'll always just want to hold towards the stage.

I never really got how DI worked in earlier Smash games but trying out that 'vector' thing in the demo while I let the level 9 Link wail on me upwards made the difference a bit obvious. KO'd through the ceiling around 120% when I was 'vectoring' upwards the entire time, while I KO'd around 150% at the ceiling when I vectored downwards. Did I do that right?

At the same time I kind of feel like a human player aware of what I'm doing would just change their tactics when I'm at a higher percentage and start trying to KO me downwards or horizontally if vectoring is only that effective when you're being launched upwards, but I'll let people more into this stuff debate it.

Neiteio

Using the new renders, I recreated the lineup I want to explore in-depth:

The "That Would Be Tits" Twelve:

ssb-mainlineup-001pjaap.png

And their secondary colors:

ssb-mainlineup-002pgaxf.png

Timeaisis

I see I'm getting quoted a lot. Well, opinions, man. I obviously can't convince everyone. Who knows until we get to playing the full game.

#teamvectoring

Formless

Yes, that's the issue.

The new DI system is simpler, yes, but it's definitely a bad change. If you're at low percent, you'll almost always just want to DI away to escape any potential followups (ruining the combo game that was already barely there), and if you're getting hit at higher percents, you'll always just want to hold towards the stage.

So instead of DI-ing in a different direction the old way to escape combos you'll DI to escape combos? It really depends on the magnitude of the new DI.

trixx

He said that sheik and rob combos that worked well into the 80s didn't work at 40.

He also said most of the combos we've been seeing won't work when this is used properly.
What? No way.. If true

I was hoping hitstun shuffle wouldn't be to big of a difference even if was done effectively. In regards to escaping combos at low %s

JoeInky

So instead of DI-ing in a different direction the old way to escape combos you'll DI to escape combos? It really depends on the magnitude of the new DI.

Old DI didn't affect the distance you travelled at all though, if the attacker correctly guessed the direction in which the defender was going to DI, they could still perform a followup.

In this one, it directly increases your knockback, meaning even if the attacker guesses correctly, the defender is going to be out of hitstun and able to act before you reach them.

georly

Goldchu is amazing too! Redchu is a loser.
The FD variations of the stages are perfectly legal to me. *shrugs*

That's 1 stage (2 if you count FD w/ wall sides, vs nothing underneath) with different skins. Then you have battlefield and yoshi. 3 tournament legal stages.

Maybe we can wait until we see this new thing in action before we declare the game ruined.

Well right now we know it's a thing, gotta wait for tests showing exactly how effective it is.

I got one! Yeah, BY2K! Yeeeeaaah!

People here have been talking about how things work in the game, like, what happens when you play, but apparently you're more interested in having people agree with you and complaining about others being "negative" because "opinions". Explaining shit to you is a waste of time. You don't care.

Makai

You guys just aren't convincing, sorry. I'll believes it when I sees it. Some of the biggest pre-release fears I remember (quick shielddropping, high endlag) turned out to be overblown.

Tan

Someone explain the new DI thing to me, what's happening?

edit: Oh just found the smashboards post. That sounds... too powerful. and weird.

Dr. Buni

That's 1 stage (2 if you count FD w/ wall sides, vs nothing underneath) with different skins. Then you have battlefield and yoshi. 3 tournament legal stages.
Technically yes, you are right. The variety of skins and music is awesome, though. It would have been great if each stage had a FD and Battlefield variation, though.
She is the second best~
I got one! Yeah, BY2K! Yeeeeaaah!
Hey, I am with too! I am okay with the new "DI".

Yes, that's the issue.

I don't even know what DI means so sounds like a non-issue.

braves01

Banned
So this new mechanic, whatever it is, makes it so there aren't really any fixed bread and butter combos that work all the time? So there are contextual combos or something that only work against an opponent at a particular % range? I'm not competitive, so correct me if I'm not understanding that.

If it means the game is predominantly mix-ups, I don't really have much of a problem with that, even as a potential spectator of competitive play.

johnbone

...and Prism Tower.

Plus, maybe the community will become a tad more forgiving of certain stage hazards if they aren't random-there's a long thread on Smashboards about that.

You guys just aren't convincing, sorry. I'll believes it when I sees it. Some of the biggest pre-release fears I remember (quick shielddropping, high endlag) turned out to be overblown.

Exactly this.
You guys are ridiculous.

Clefargle

And the answer is always the same, "Away at lower percents, Towards at higher".

It extends the game more than it needs to, people already live to high percents in this game, now we know we're able to decrease knocback and we're able to negate a load of combos meaning we'll reach those percents even slower.

Perhaps, but we don't know how much yet. Let's see how the metagame is effected WHEN the metagame is effected. Until then it's just paranoia.

I think people are going way overboard with the negativity.

As Strongbad said, we have no idea how much influence this "vectoring" will have on hitstun distance-if it's only like 5% or so, it shouldn't be a big deal, especially since
DI as we know it is apparently gone (thus making the hitstun angle more predictable for an attacker).

This, let's wait and see...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom