• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
After playing around a while with Mega Man in the demo against Villager on progressively higher difficulty levels, I think I've found my sweet spot with him and am starting to learn how to use him. He's pretty difficult to play as for sure, and I rarely use any of his B moves (except for zoning/spacing, really). But damn the Hard Knuckle meteor smash is satisfying to land. Probably my go-to kill move. I really enjoy playing as him, and while he's probably not going to be top-tier, I think I'll be good enough with him to mess my friends up.

heh, I just realized on average the importers are gonna have a huge advantage over the Japanese players until the game comes out elsewhere, because they're mostly the hardcore players

At least the game keeps track of a W/L record. I thought it wasn't even going to do that so there'd be almost no reason to play For Glory for a long period of time. :V

What, did you expect Nintendo to not track records and make it all 2-minute time matches? :p

I been playing the demo like crazy and owning with megaman. I feel like once you know when and how to use his projectables, he could be a really strong character. I love using Fair, hitting the opponent with tornado is really fun. Same goes with his Dair move.

edit: I meant U-air, mybad.

Neiteio

He's not a character I plan to play seriously, but I -love- the fact Little Mac is an underdog of sorts -- incredible in the right hands, but always requiring fast footwork, faster thinking and nerves of steel. Half of the game (the air game) is against him, but the other half is to his advantage, so it's a matter of how he applies himself, strategically, much like the gameplay of the Punch-Out series. And like the lore of Punch-Out, it's an uphill battle for him, but he's capable and can overcome the competition, which is what makes it exciting to watch. Sakurai perfectly captured the spirit of Little Mac in Smash. :-D

I'm listening to the Minor Circuit theme and thought I'd wax poetic, lol.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
12days34bk2.gif

I feel Yoshi lost his charm with that game. 2characterized5me.

BUT TO EACH THEIR OWN!

EDIT: I can agree on one thing; Melee Yoshi is horrifying.
Yeah Yoshi's design was perfect in YI when he was fit looking then starting with Story, he slowly became pudgier.

Ironically the exact opposite of what happened to Pikachu.

sjboi

Just downloaded the demo. Am I the only one struggling with the controls... Because I'm so used to playing with the wiimote + nunchuck? Lol

Tan

Just downloaded the demo. Am I the only one struggling with the controls... Because I'm so used to playing with the wiimote + nunchuck? Lol

My friend said the same thing. As someone who's always used a gamecube controller I find up tilts really hard to do and I keep jumping when I do an up air.

edit: and I've always played with tap jump on.

ASTROID2

My friend said the same thing. As someone who's always used a gamecube controller I find up tilts really hard to do and I keep jumping when I do an up air.
Yeah the first thing I'm gonna do when I get the game is turn off tap up to jump.

sjboi

Yeah, up to jump is the worst thing ever. Surely that can be turned off in the full game...

Yeah Yoshi's design was perfect in YI when he was fit looking then starting with Story, he slowly became pudgier.

Ironically the exact opposite of what happened to Pikachu.

Lol, exactly. Your avatar is actually what I would call the peak in perfection for Yoshi's design. Not too long bodied like in SMW's boxart, but you can still tell he's a dinosaur with his smaller arms and hands. Dude looks like Mario in a frog suit nowadays. Bleughfjgf. But whatevs.

866531588.jpg

This one felt nice. First three kill match in the demo against a level 9 CPU in the no-items mode. I'm getting the hang of using Pika's dair to defend off the edge of the stage.

Just curious, has anyone managed to get four kills in the same situation? It seemed like I had to play perfectly to get three in two minutes.

greg400

Banned
Is it just me or is there something off about the 3DS version? I'm playing the demo right now and it feels really wrong. Definitely going to skip the 3DS version, this game just doesn't work on a handheld in my opinion. Can't wait for the Wii U version though, Gamecube controller for life.

Is it just me or is there something off about the 3DS version? I'm playing the demo right now and it feels really wrong. Definitely going to skip the 3DS version, this game just doesn't work on a handheld in my opinion. Can't wait for the Wii U version though, Gamecube controller for life.

Nope. It feels pretty meh for me as well. Just can't stand the lack of precision from the circle pad. That, and the lack of shoulder button triggers. It feels gross, imo. Can hardly enjoy playing the demo with controls that are that foreign to me for Smash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom