• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorgejjvr

I think a lot of the fear and what not will probably die down when everyone actually can get access to the game. You'd be surprised how much your perspective can change when you're actually playing it vs spectating it. Granted, not all the concern is unfounded but I imagine most of it will die down because everyone will be playing the game and actually learning it (AND testing this stuff out in full lol).

There's definitely some hyperbole, though, on smashboards.
And enjoying it and having fun

jorgejjvr

People are pulling off combos and the action keeps going. I watched a tournament yesterday with some vectoring and it looked just fine. Sure kills were in the 100%-150%
Range on average, but I saw plenty of real combos and nice chase attacks. It looked like a nice PM tourney and I doubt vectoring is going to affect the meta as much as many doomsayers are whining about.
Yeah people were doing crazy combos and follow ups. I really don't see why people are worrying so much

Having spacing and movement options is keeping the action going. Complaining about that is misguided at best, in my opinion.

Edit: Not to mention thinking that the Netural game is 'boring' rubs me the wrong way.

The neutral game isn't horrible, but it makes for a really slow paced game. Brawl was all about spacing, and I would argue that mechanically, that game took a lot of opportunities to stop the action and put things back into the neutral game after a hit.

Crayolan

People are pulling off combos and the action keeps going. I watched a tournament yesterday with some vectoring and it looked just fine. Sure kills were in the 100%-150%
Range on average, but I saw plenty of real combos and nice chase attacks. It looked like a nice PM tourney and I doubt vectoring is going to affect the meta as much as many doomsayers are whining about.
Has everything we've watched not had any action? Is everyone just blind?

I'm not saying that Smash 4 has no combos or that vectoring has killed the game, I'm just saying it's a legitimate fear to have early on. I haven't played the game beyond the demo, so I don't know what the reality of the situation is at the moment.

haha holy shit, people I've played a lot are actually leaving the lobby when they see me in for glory now.

I feel like such a villain.

Come at me bro, I'll play you!

When the Wii U version comes out

you can talk about vectoring all you like, what I think is most funny is the lack of shieldstun. Just rolling/grabbing out of shields whenever you like, doing Jigglypuff's Sleep right out of shield cuz fuck it, etc

JoeInky

"This guy beat all my favourite characters, it can't be my fault, he must be using an OP character"

*picks the same colour Ness as me*

"Now I'll win"

He got carried off the stage with three Fairs, Bair'd after he used his second jump then I stayed above him holding PSI Magnet and his recovery instantly got absorbed.

And he was never seen again.

guek

Banned
Yeah people were doing crazy combos and follow ups. I really don't see why people are worrying so much
Because whether they want to admit it or not, brawl scared the shit out of them so now they subconsciously believe if it's not identical to melee, it's more akin to brawl.

trixx

"This guy beat all my favourite characters, it can't be my fault, he must be using an OP character"

"Now I'll win"

He got carried off the stage with three Fairs, Bair'd after he used his second jump then I stayed above him holding PSI Magnet and his recovery instantly got absorbed.

Are you streaming?

The neutral game itself is interesting, there's always merit in correct reads and proper spacing. However, if winning the neutral game does not result in being able to apply significant pressure and just leads into more of the neutral game itself then it's not really rewarding.

Zubz

Banned
Previous characters (click to view, Link done by georly)

Damn it, Sakurai, the Smashes made Lucas the perfect character that he was, too! Seeing that Ness has all of Lucas' specials really has me fearing Lucas won't be coming back as DLC down the road, so I really
need to find a new main. On a scale from 1-Broken, how bad are the ZSS/Bowser Buffs again?

Hatchtag

Banned

"Now I'll win"

This is what happens every time I play as Little Mac. If you win more than two matches in a row online as Little Mac, the opponent always, always switches to Little Mac.
Also if you play Little Mac, you can't play hoodie mac, because everyone else plays hoodie mac. Got to have your own alt color.

"Now I'll win"

Salty ragequits everywhere!

Not

Banned

"Now I'll win"

Maybe the most hilarious thing I've read today

I love cancelling out Ness's electroball by absorbing it, lol

Hmmm you might be right. I might not do it as well unless someone out there plays it consistently when he got it early and can confirm nothing happened to him
Out of curiosity, how'd you get your MK copy early? For me, LA just seems to have a lot of stores that break street dates by a few days.

haha holy shit, people I've played a lot are actually leaving the lobby when they see me in for glory now.

I feel like such a villain.

Hi Joe. Can you combo/have you seen people doing combos?

Wanna be my friend so that when I finally get the game we can play and you can make me better by destroying me? :)

Dimmle

you can talk about vectoring all you like, what I think is most funny is the lack of shieldstun. Just rolling/grabbing out of shields whenever you like, doing Jigglypuff's Sleep right out of shield cuz fuck it, etc

I dig this: it's one of the changes made toward buffing the offensive game, as I understand it.

JoeInky

This is what happens every time I play as Little Mac. If you win more than two matches in a row online as Little Mac, the opponent always, always switches to Little Mac.
Also if you play Little Mac, you can't play hoodie mac, because everyone else plays hoodie mac. Got to have your own alt color.

You almost had me there, almost ;)

wait
you winning more than two matches in a row with Little Mac?

:p

Clefargle

Has everything we've watched not had any action? Is everyone just blind?

I know right? This is the internet so hyperbole is expected, but most of the complaints people are throwing around sound like they boil down to "this ain't Melee". Which, while true, isn't a valid criticism as much as it's a fact.

jorgejjvr

Out of curiosity, how'd you get your MK copy early? For me, LA just seems to have a lot of stores that break street dates by a few days.
I remember going to mynintendonews and there were reports that people at targets were breaking the street date and getting it early. So I gave it a shot and started calling stores by stores and acting like a dumb customer. I would talk to people assuming the game was out and was like "hey do you have mk8 there in stores for me to pick it up?". Some were smart and told me it was not out yet, some told me it came out the 30th etc. BTW I was calling targets, best buys, and sears. Until I got lucky and one guy at sears was like "yeah man we have ONE copy left come pick it up" (meaning they have been selling it if they only had one available). I showed up, and there it was ONE copy of mk8 in display along the other games. The guy simply scanned it and sold it to me, everyone there was clueless. So I'm hoping I find some other clueless people lol, I'll probably even call the same store. I'll start my search around the week the game comes out, probably around that Monday. People at gamestop told me they get games sometimes as early as a week MAX or as close to 1-3 days before

JoeInky

Hi Joe. Can you combo/have you seen people doing combos?

Wanna be my friend so that when I finally get the game we can play and you can make me better by destroying me? :)

I can do as many combos as is possible with Ness which isn't many, but I'm not really a massive combo guy, I enjoy platform chases and conditioning people into doing shit, which Ness is really good at doing for a good payoff.

PK Thunder mindgames are pretty damn good in this game, and his down throw is a pretty good mixup once you've conditioned people into thinking you'll Fair them, just move forward and start charging your FSmash as they try to dodge a non-existent Fair and hit the ground with extra landing lag - crack, sweetspotted bat mother fucker.

Would only really work as well as it does online though.

I'll add everyone on the WiiU version when it comes, not too bothered about adding loads of people on the 3DS because this isn't my main version.

I remember going to mynintendonews and there were reports that people at targets were breaking the street date and getting it early. So I gave it a shot and started calling stores by stores and acting like a dumb customer. I would talk to people assuming the game was out and was like "hey do you have mk8 there in stores for me to pick it up?". Some were smart and told me it was not out yet, some told me it came out the 30th etc. BTW I was calling targets, best buys, and sears. Until I got lucky and one guy at sears was like "yeah man we have ONE copy left come pick it up" (meaning they have been selling it if they only had one available). I showed up, and there it was ONE copy of mk8 in display along the other games. The guy simply scanned it and sold it to me, everyone there was clueless. So I'm hoping I find some other clueless people lol, I'll probably even call the same store. I'll start my search around the week the game comes out, probably around that Monday. People at gamestop told me they get games sometimes as early as a week MAX or as close to 1-3 days before
Ah, I see. Haha, places out here are much more shameless; they even let you know on their websites they have it. I don't agree with the practice, but if I get to play Smash early...I may overlook my issues with it. :p

Hatchtag

Banned
You almost had me there, almost ;)

We got to have a rematch soon lol.

wait
you winning more than two matches in a row with Little Mac?

:p

Yeah lol. He's really hard to learn, but he's not that bad as you get better with him. Of course, more than any other character I'd argue, Mac's strategies change from opponent to opponent. If you're up against a character you've barely played before with Mac, you will almost always lose several times. It's why I don't struggle as much against, say, Lucina or Bowser, as I do against Falco or Luigi.

emb

"Now I'll win"

That's the best when someone gets salty about your character, then switches to it and gets trashed.

JoeInky

That's the best when someone gets salty about your character, then switches to it and gets trashed.

The fact that he even picked the same colour as me was the icing on the cake.

Maybe he thought I'd think I was him and accidentally SD.

"Now I'll win"

Man.. I watch these streams and I can't help but to think, "I can't WAIT to do some crazy shit with these characters and altered mechanics because people are still playing wayyyy too safe. Where's the creativity?!"

Drastically improves your game if you don't care about "winning" and try to play more risky, breaking the limits to better understand how the game handles in all areas. I can understand people using only a couple characters because that's who they love, but the only barriers to learning all the characters rests on the hesitation of the player IMO. This isn't Street Fighter where it could hurt your performance with one character if you use several others; the gameplay is so accessible and streamlined, which is one of the things Smash was going for in its creation.

Jawmuncher

Has anyone decided yet on the level they'll end up playing on the most.
I know for me it's going to be Arena Ferox. Mainly because of Id Purpose music is going to be great for battles.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I know for me it's going to be Arena Ferox. Mainly because of Id Purpose music is going to be great for battles.

Gaur Plains because I could probably listen to it forever.

ffdgh

Final destination has the melee remix
Paper mario for rogueport
Arena Ferox for ID purpose
Magicant for the 8 melodies
Nintendogs for bath time

Still need to listen to the rest of the ost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom