• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie

Here's the Lucas description for anyone curious (spoilers just in case):
"Before adventuring, Lucas was a timid, cautious boy. His journey has made him a stronger person. Maybe he met someone to spend his life with... Hang on—we're moving way too fast! For now, remember that Lucas and Ness are favorites in the hearts of EarthBound fans."

I personally prefer the wording of the JP one, but I'll take it.

That's the biggest tease sdfghjdhgfh

Richie

I could swear I've seen some videos where people played in Omega stages...and items appeared. Specifically I recall a Final Destination version of Flatzone 2 having this. I thought items were deactivated in Omega mode? If not, megaton.

Kangi

I could swear I've seen some videos where people played in Omega stages...and items appeared. Specifically I recall a Final Destination version of Flatzone 2 having this. I thought items were deactivated in Omega mode? If not, megaton.

Omega doesn't automatically turn off items, except for in the demo.

For Glory itself turns off items and uses Omega, but that doesn't mean Omega turns off the items.

Richie

Omega doesn't automatically turn off items, except for in the demo.

For Glory itself turns off items and uses Omega, but that doesn't mean Omega turns off the items.

Ooooh heeeell yeeaaah this makes me damn happy. Thanks a lot! We like Final Destination here but also like the fun of items, best of both worlds will be a megaton for me and my friends.

FSLink

Banned
You can set the random stage switch for both random normal and random omega individually.

As for why people would do this, different omega levels have somewhat different layouts (but all the same size for the platform).

Also Pictochat 2 omega mode is terrible for fighting against Greninja, Shadow Sneak is pretty invisible on that, lol

Masked Man

I said wow
Here's the Lucas description for anyone curious (spoilers just in case):
"Before adventuring, Lucas was a timid, cautious boy. His journey has made him a stronger person. Maybe he met someone to spend his life with... Hang on—we're moving way too fast! For now, remember that Lucas and Ness are favorites in the hearts of EarthBound fans."

I personally prefer the wording of the JP one, but I'll take it.

Blahhh, I like the JP phrasing better. Are these really the official descriptions?

Azure J

What's the significance of that Lucas trophy line? Spoil me if necessary, I played Mother 3 but don't recall what's being hinted at there.

Other Pokémon trophies also reference the anime/movies. Huh.

Blahhh, I like the JP phrasing better. Are these really the official descriptions?

Me too; I don't really like the plain "his journey made him a stronger person" line. Apparently they were found in the JP game's data or something?

What's the significance of that Lucas trophy line? Spoil me if necessary, I played Mother 3 but don't recall what's being hinted at there.

Just speculation on behalf of the trophy writer.

DaBoss

In regards of unlocking custom moves, I thought of an idea. This is only just a theory to make it easier to unlock custom moves (at least about half way through), but I think it is right. This theory is just to unlock every custom move, not a specific character's, but I imagine nearly everyone would go for every character's custom moves.

It would be best to use the Miis or Palutena in Smash Run/Classic Mode to unlock custom moves. These 2 (4) characters have their custom moves unlocked from when the characters themselves are unlocked, so you don't need to unlock their custom moves.

When unlocking custom moves, the custom moves will have a higher chance of being custom moves for the character you are playing as. Now (I think) this shouldn't affect Miis and Palutena since their custom moves are already unlocked, so you are likely to get other characters' custom moves.

The reason why this is easier is because of probability. You will likely not get duplicates since you aren't playing as a character that would affect what character's custom moves you will get. This would be reliable till you get to about 50% of the custom moves. After that, it is all just luck, but it is better than only relying on luck.

Hopefully, that all made sense and someone can test it out.

To specifically unlock custom moves in Smash Run or Classic Mode, you have to do this:

- In Smash Run, you would go after bags that has wrench icon and no other bag:
KR5ES32.png

- In Classic Mode, you have a roulette, so you would have to be lucky and choose Custom Moves.

DaBoss, the thing is going character by character is also a viable strategy and you can't really do that with Mii/Palutena, so you'll still run into the duplicate problem.

I suppose you could do this to get some moves on everyone before diving in to each individual character, but eh....

Maybe but it is quite likely someone is just directly translated them from the Japanese.
Fake Edit: Compared Palutena descriptions. They're close but not fully accurate

Okay. So I discovered where I got the Palutena description. It was from a NintenDaan video so it was from the European version so, either EU has different trophy descriptions or Palutena has the weirdly updated description in English version from Japanese version or this guy is really dedicated

Masked Man

I said wow
You're just biased toward your buddy~ :V

Well, I can't deny that, but still. :p

Me too; I don't really like the plain "his journey made him a stronger person" line. Apparently they were found in the JP game's data or something?

I don't, either. I'm also not crazy about equating the entire Mother series to EarthBound and just lumping Mother 3 into the category of "something related to that game with Ness."

DaBoss

DaBoss, the thing is going character by character is also a viable strategy and you can't really do that with Mii/Palutena, so you'll still run into the duplicate problem.

I suppose you could do this to get some moves on everyone before diving in to each individual character, but eh....
That's the whole point lol.

Probability is in favor of the person who does that first before doing individual characters over the person who does each individual character only.

I know duplicates can't be avoided with that. :p

FSLink

Banned
In regards of unlocking custom moves, I thought of an idea. This is only just a theory to make it easier to unlock custom moves (at least about half way through), but I think it is right. This theory is just to unlock every custom move, not a specific character's, but I imagine nearly everyone would go for every character's custom moves.

It would be best to use the Miis or Palutena in Smash Run/Classic Mode to unlock custom moves. These 2 (4) characters have their custom moves unlocked from when the characters themselves are unlocked, so you don't need to unlock their custom moves.

When unlocking custom moves, the custom moves will have a higher chance of being custom moves for the character you are playing as. Now (I think) this shouldn't affect Miis and Palutena since their custom moves are already unlocked, so you are likely to get other characters' custom moves.

The reason why this is easier is because of probability. You will likely not get duplicates since you aren't playing as a character that would affect what character's custom moves you will get. This would be reliable till you get to about 50% of the custom moves. After that, it is all just luck, but it is better than only relying on luck.

Hopefully, that all made sense and someone can test it out.

To specifically unlock custom moves in Smash Run or Classic Mode, you have to do this:

- In Smash Run, you would go after bags that has wrench icon and no other bag:
KR5ES32.png

- In Classic Mode, you have a roulette and you would have to be lucky and choose Custom Moves.

Yeah, most likely, though you can also get duplicates. Roulette in Classic Mode is also pretty easy to time once you get the hang of it, I can hit the wrench pretty consistently if it's available, though sometimes you get equipment instead of custom moves.

I just go character by character since I need to beat Classic/All-Star mode with everyone anyway to finish the challenge boards.

Inuji used to be a professional baseball player, but these days he's the owner of the Darumeshi Sports Shop. In order to keep his shop alive, this mutt started selling baseball video games. There are 10 games in all, and bold customers can go in and haggle for a better price.

A retired professional baseball player, Rusty Slugger spends his days as the owner and operator of Rusty Slugger's Sports Shack. He keeps his business running by selling baseball video games. There are 10 games in the store, and rumor has it his prices are a bit flexible...

Are they officially separate characters, or just version exclusive characters?

Also the strangest title to get a trophy reference has to be Culdcept. Only one game in the series got a Nintendo release, and that was a decade later.

The creator of the world, Culdra, once predicted that the world would end thanks to an evil called Geminigh. Goligan is a magic staff designed to stop Geminigh's evil schemes. He has a face and talks A LOT for a staff. He seeks a skilled Cepter who can use cards. That's where you come in.

That's the whole point lol.

Probability is in favor of the person who does that first before doing individual characters over the person who does each individual character only.

I know duplicates can't be avoided with that. :p

well....thing is most people you're talking to probably have already unlocked a bunch of moves from Classic/Smash Run already :p

Hatchtag

Banned
Man, I wish I could go online with Smash Run or save a replay of it. I want to show off this smash run power up I unlocked. It's basically super sayain mode, and it's fun as hell. But I can't record and play at the same time.

Man, I wish I could go online with Smash Run or save a replay of it. I want to show off this smash run power up I unlocked. It's basically super sayain mode, and it's fun as hell. But I can't record and play at the same time.

If you want an explanation of why Smash Run isn't online, it's essentially the same reason why most platformers aren't online. Too much happening and too much interaction between the players. The regular matches are far smaller so there isn't much happening in comparison so it isn't that much data to transfer and it reduces the lag greatly. With the number of enemies alone, it makes containing lag difficult across the internet. Local doesn't really have this problem since the distance traveled in a fraction compared to the internet and everyone has the same high quality connection
The replay system making it replicate the match and again too much happening is likely stopping replays. It's likely too taxing to have the mode not spawn things where the camera is.

Pretty sure Nintendo was confident Smash Bros. could stand its own against Destiny. However, if they did that, they would put it right smack up against Hyrule Warriors and Fantasy Life in Europe, eating both those titles alive

Jawmuncher

If you want an explanation of why Smash Run isn't online, it's essentially the same reason why Mario games aren't online. Too much happening and too much interaction between the players. The regular matches are far smaller so there isn't much happening in comparison so it isn't that much data to transfer and it reduces the lag greatly. With the number of enemies alone, it makes containing lag difficult across the internet. Local doesn't really have this problem since the distance traveled in a fraction compared to the internet and everyone has the same high quality connection
The replay system making it replicate the match and again too much happening is likely stopping replays. It's likely too taxing to have the mode not spawn things where the camera is.

Don't open that can of worms again.
That thread was nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom